Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson at Arkansas facts

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 11, 2018, 10:16:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

61-49 in SEC games in 6 full seasons and 4 SEC games into this season (1-3 thus far).

Improved overall from season 1 in 2011 thru season 4 in 2015. Up and down since then, with this year looking like it will be worse than last year's 12-6 given first 4 games in SEC play. So more down after last year's up. 2 NCAAT's in 6 years with a 2-2 record in NCAAT play.

Better than the previous 2 coaches but not what we thought we would get with Anderson after 6+ seasons.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

cityhog

If we don't make it to 2nd round of NCAA this year, it's time to end this sentimental journey.

nwahogfan1

January 11, 2018, 10:30:29 am #2 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:02:34 am by nwahogfan1
I hope I am wrong but the last few years are about the ceiling for Mike.  He is a good guy but a very average coach. He is not big on teaching fundamentals like blocking out or staying in front of your man on defense or switching on screens or anything I call bb fundys.  He is big on hustling even though his guys are not showing it, sharing the bb and gambling on defense trying for TOs even though we are not very good at it and things like that.   Oh, he might get hot and the right group of guys and will win 25+ games and win a couple games in the NCAAT maybe every 10 to 15 years but that is about it.  But mostly he will win around 20 games leaving us wanting more. 

It will be up to the new AD and the big money boasters to decide if we deserve better but I do not see anything happening for a few years.   

cityhog

What I don't get is our potential in basketball is SO much greater than it is in football. Every SEC team has upgraded coaches and facilities. We got a new practice facility that was supposed to take us to the next level. That worked out.

Grag T

Quote from: cityhog on January 11, 2018, 10:33:09 am
What I don't get is our potential in basketball is SO much greater than it is in football. Every SEC team has upgraded coaches and facilities. We got a new practice facility that was supposed to take us to the next level. That worked out.

Throwing money at the problem always works, just look at our public school system- oh wait
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

BDSCT51

Quote from: cityhog on January 11, 2018, 10:22:44 am
If we don't make it to 2nd round of NCAA this year, it's time to end this sentimental journey.

The assumption is we get there of course! I have no confidence this staff can get the team in this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red

3kgthog

I wanted Mike seven years ago. That has changed.

It wasn't a mistake to hire him since he's stabilized the foundation and the hope he brought got the practice facility built. However, it's time to pass the baton to a next level guy.

cityhog

Quote from: Grag T on January 11, 2018, 10:45:16 am
Throwing money at the problem always works, just look at our public school system- oh wait
In a day and age where public school teachers have to buy a lot of their own supplies for their classrooms to educate OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS vs. an AD and ex-football coach getting $16MM + to go away, I'd say that your comment on public school system getting too much money is waaaaay off, unless of course you'd like to raise an entire generation of idiots.

cityhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 11, 2018, 11:04:53 am
I wanted Mike seven years ago. That has changed.

It wasn't a mistake to hire him since he's stabilized the foundation and the hope he brought got the practice facility built. However, it's time to pass the baton to a next level guy.

I didn't want Mike 7 years ago because I knew we'd be having this conversation instead of going all in at the time. Boy that 'national search' Jeff Long conducted sure has paid off.

razorpimp

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 11, 2018, 10:16:46 am
61-49 in SEC games in 6 full seasons and 4 SEC games into this season (1-3 thus far).

Improved overall from season 1 in 2011 thru season 4 in 2015. Up and down since then, with this year looking like it will be worse than last year's 12-6 given first 4 games in SEC play. So more down after last year's up. 2 NCAAT's in 6 years with a 2-2 record in NCAAT play.

Better than the previous 2 coaches but not what we thought we would get with Anderson after 6+ seasons.

Also think about just how bad it could be next year!  If Gafford leaves it will be disastrous!  If he stays it's still a very young, not too talented team!

cityhog

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 11:21:18 am
Also think about just how bad it could be next year!  If Gafford leaves it will be disastrous!  If he stays it's still a very young, not too talented team!

I can't even believe I'm going to say this, BUT, Gafford's future in the NBA would have been better served had he gone elsewhere to play his college ball.

hogsanity

Quote from: cityhog on January 11, 2018, 11:08:14 am
In a day and age where public school teachers have to buy a lot of their own supplies for their classrooms to educate OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS vs. an AD and ex-football coach getting $16MM + to go away, I'd say that your comment on public school system getting too much money is waaaaay off, unless of course you'd like to raise an entire generation of idiots.

at the risk of a huge derail, simply raising teacher pay is not going to fix the problems either. Money, alone , is rarely the answer to any problem. And before you say it, my wife and sister are or have been teachers at some point in their careers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jjdlc

Our Public School System has not had money thrown at it, quite the opposite.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: cityhog on January 11, 2018, 11:24:22 am
I can't even believe I'm going to say this, BUT, Gafford's future in the NBA would have been better served had he gone elsewhere to play his college ball.

Similarly, it was so sad to see Kingsley limit his future by following his friend Portis to play for MA.

phadedhawg

Quote from: cityhog on January 11, 2018, 10:22:44 am

we won't be in the NCAA tourney baring winning the SEC tourney

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 11:45:14 am
at the risk of a huge derail, simply raising teacher pay is not going to fix the problems either. Money, alone , is rarely the answer to any problem. And before you say it, my wife and sister are or have been teachers at some point in their careers.
I'll roll with the derail. The problem isn't the schools, the problem is a failure to parent.

razorpimp

You can fix this problem by throwing money at it is the difference!  Fire Mike and his high school staff, throw money at one of the great coaches....see what happens...bet we start winning again

hogsanity

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 11, 2018, 12:09:48 pm
I'll roll with the derail. The problem isn't the schools, the problem is a failure to parent.

Oh you'll get no argument from me on that.

Actually, we see that alot in today's athletes. They are me me me players because parents, or whoever raised them taught them that.

I was called a game couple weeks ago and there was a kid with some decent talent. His dad/uncle/whoever was right on the front row yelling at this kid not to pass the ball " because they ain't as good as you ". Kid must have put up 30 shots, scored a bunch, but they still lost.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorpimp

61-49 in SEC games in 6 full seasons and 4 SEC games into this season (1-3 thus far

61-49!?! Wow just wow, in the weak a$$ SEC for that matter!

I know, I know much better than Heath and Pelphrey....

But what is that actually saying...ill tell you not much

lstewart

It would take two bad years in a row for Mike to get fired. He'll probably get things figured out enough this year to make a run at 20 wins, and be on the NCAA bubble the last week of the season. Certainly not what we expected this year, but not a "get fired" season after reaching the round of 32 last year. I agree that next year will probably be worse... probably 16 or 17 wins. I wish Mike would decide he has had enough, and ask to move to some type of admin position. Of course it would take a HUGE pay cut, but that's what we've seen some of the long time coaches from lower revenue sports. Mike is a good guy and is a big part of the past success, so it would be nice if he could go out without being fired. But I completely agree last year was probably as good as we will see, and we'll bounce around being a NIT type team, to being on the bubble every second or third year. Last night was enough for me.... I was sitting at the game with my arms crossed feeling bad that I paid to watch this mess!

Kevin

Quote from: lstewart on January 11, 2018, 12:40:17 pm
It would take two bad years in a row for Mike to get fired. He'll probably get things figured out enough this year to make a run at 20 wins, and be on the NCAA bubble the last week of the season. Certainly not what we expected this year, but not a "get fired" season after reaching the round of 32 last year. I agree that next year will probably be worse... probably 16 or 17 wins. I wish Mike would decide he has had enough, and ask to move to some type of admin position. Of course it would take a HUGE pay cut, but that's what we've seen some of the long time coaches from lower revenue sports. Mike is a good guy and is a big part of the past success, so it would be nice if he could go out without being fired. But I completely agree last year was probably as good as we will see, and we'll bounce around being a NIT type team, to being on the bubble every second or third year. Last night was enough for me.... I was sitting at the game with my arms crossed feeling bad that I paid to watch this mess!

what is considered bad years?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Albert Einswine

I said it after they fired Pelphrey, and I'll say it now. We should have broken the bank to hire Brad Stevens and skipped this nostalgia trip. That man is a coach.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

depressed_fan

I don't think we should fire a basketball coach with a winning conference record. We did that with Nutt and it has set us back 10 years, just like Chuck Barrett said it would, and likely to set us back an additional 10.

No Mike isn't that great of a coach but he wins enough to keep it interesting. The chances we go way down by changing coaches again far outweighs the chances we go up from where we are. Most likely he's as good as we can do and he's our daddy.

southeasthog

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 13, 2018, 06:20:57 am
I don't think we should fire a basketball coach with a winning conference record. We did that with Nutt and it has set us back 10 years, just like Chuck Barrett said it would, and likely to set us back an additional 10.

No Mike isn't that great of a coach but he wins enough to keep it interesting. The chances we go way down by changing coaches again far outweighs the chances we go up from where we are. Most likely he's as good as we can do and he's our daddy.

Dumb.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Wildbill

You my friend have no idea what your talking about.  Let's see you take a job for $30k a year and have to work with some of the students we have to deal with.  Kids haven't changed but the parents have.  We don't do it for the money believe me, we do it because we want to make a difference in a students life.  Also,  allow schools to get rid of the bad teachers, oh wait, because of the teacher fair dismissal act it's almost impossible.  Private and Charter schools do not have to except the students public schools do.  When that big yellow bus pulls up we take them all.  Parents don't just send their best kids you know. 

hawg66

So much stupidity in a single thread on two different topics

ballz2thewall

brilliant.

The rest of the frog.

Mr. Porkleone

Good info. Time to move on after 7 years.