• 390,390 Topics
• 22,087 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC or Big 12  (Read 4513 times)

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
SEC or Big 12
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:57 am »

Are the Hogs better off to stay in the SEC? Or would it benefit the athletic program to move to the Big 12? Take all sports into account, not just football.

snoblind

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: SEC or Big 12
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:01 am »

Oh look, an move that has never been discussed before.

How do you feel about games in Little Rock?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TexasRazorback

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:55 am »

This has been discussed for many pages. GO look one of those threads up

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:51 am »

This has been discussed for many pages. GO look one of those threads up

I apologize for offending you but I guess all Texans are bitter

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:09:50 am »

Are the Hogs better off to stay in the SEC? Or would it benefit the athletic program to move to the Big 12? Take all sports into account, not just football.
How freak'in original.... ::) ::) ::)

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:14:29 am »

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:30 am »

theFlyingHog

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:34 am »

Holy shite, this board is nothing but alts now. One big collection of the people living off my taxes

oldhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:51 am »

Save yourself a little grief.  This topic has been discussed ad infinitum, and your only asking to be severely castigated by bringing it up again as a new topic.  On the other hand, if you are just trolling, and have a thick skin, go for it.

If you are legitimately interested in what other people think, a little research on HV would serve serve you well in this case.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43:05 am »

Save yourself a little grief.  This topic has been discussed ad infinitum, and your only asking to be severely castigated by bringing it up again as a new topic.  On the other hand, if you are just trolling, and have a thick skin, go for it.

If you are legitimately interested in what other people think, a little research on HV would serve serve you well in this case.

you're*

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:06 am »

1) yes
2) no

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:51:24 am »

Busta_Nutt

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 10:52:41 am »

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:54:02 am »

Yes, OVERALL Arkansas would be better off in the Big 12.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:55 am »

Yes, OVERALL Arkansas would be better off in the Big 12.

I agree, I believe that move would greatly help the program.

tlmack

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 11:03:47 am »

Not going to happen.And before you ask $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:52 am »

I will rejoice the day the Big 12 dies because I'm sick of this question every off-season.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 11:09:26 am »

I will rejoice the day the Big 12 dies because I'm sick of this question every off-season.

Where do teams like TCU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State go when the Big 12 dies?

Busta_Nutt

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:15 am »

Candy Cane Forest

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:21 am »

Pac 12. Next question.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:51 am »

Not going to happen.And before you ask $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
What happens if we continue to be mired in 4, 5 or 6 win seasons and the stadium is half full.  People are not buying pepsi and popcorn.  They aren't buying T-shirts and foam fingers.  We don't get our own bowl money.  We just share other peoples money.  We are servicing debt on a $120 million bond issue without wins to accompany it.

Aren't we just trading dollars?

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 11:13:41 am »

OU and Texas will land in one of the remaining P5(4) conferences. Kansas and WVU might as well. I think the others land in the Mountain West or American, or some of those teams join the B12. But I think the B12 either goes the way of the Big East or dissolves altogether once their current media deals expire.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:47 am »

OU and Texas will land in one of the remaining P5(4) conferences. Kansas and WVU might as well. I think the others land in the Mountain West or American, or some of those teams join the B12. But I think the B12 either goes the way of the Big East or dissolves altogether once their current media deals expire.

So we agree on OU and Texas. But TCU will land in a P5. Oklahoma State will land in a P5. And if it's not the PAC12, those teams will likely end up in the SEC.

F that.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:07 am »

What if they grab a few teams like Arkansas, Memphis and others and get stronger than the SEC?

Fan1958

• Senior
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:08 am »

What if they grab a few teams like Arkansas, Memphis and others and get stronger than the SEC?

Yeah, let's get those teams and get stronger than the SEC which BTW just dominated the CFP and and two SEC teams played one of the classics of all time. Yep. Wow. :-[

Dirty

• Gold Hogvillian
  • WPS!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:32 am »

Please!  Really!

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:12 am »

So we agree on OU and Texas. But TCU will land in a P5. Oklahoma State will land in a P5. And if it's not the PAC12, those teams will likely end up in the SEC.

F that.

I could see OSU and TT in the Pac12 if that's where OU and Texas landed. Outside of that what P4 conference would want anyone outside of OU and Texas. I could see Kansas in the Big Ten if they needed a 16th member. I could see WVU in the ACC. But here's the deal, if every member of the B12 could find a P4 landing spot there wouldn't be any reason to worry about the B12 breaking up. Eventually the top programs will be cherry picked and the rest will fall back to G5 level conferences. If the P4 conferences don't have a need for an OSU or TCU, they'll be left behind. Arkansas will never join the B12 because we don't want to risk being where OSU, TCU, Kansas and WVU are, and that is hoping to have a landing spot somewhere else if OU and Texas bolt.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:27 am »

Yeah, let's get those teams and get stronger than the SEC which BTW just dominated the CFP and and two SEC teams played one of the classics of all time. Yep. Wow. :-[
Not sure your rod is up for this fight, Canaan. Better set the drag right if you wanna reel this one to the boat

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 11:31:55 am »

I could see OSU and TT in the Pac12 if that's where OU and Texas landed. Outside of that what P4 conference would want anyone outside of OU and Texas. I could see Kansas in the Big Ten if they needed a 16th member. I could see WVU in the ACC. But here's the deal, if every member of the B12 could find a P4 landing spot there wouldn't be any reason to worry about the B12 breaking up. Eventually the top programs will be cherry picked and the rest will fall back to G5 level conferences. If the P4 conferences don't have a need for an OSU or TCU, they'll be left behind. Arkansas will never join the B12 because we don't want to risk being where OSU, TCU, Kansas and WVU are, and that is hoping to have a landing spot somewhere else if OU and Texas bolt.

By this logic a very strong case could be made that Arkansas falls into the G5 if further realignment happens. TCU is better or as good in all three major sports compared to the Hogs.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 11:34:31 am »

What is your reasoning?

SEC is stronger financially. Annual payout is greater for SEC schools with 14 teams than the Big 12’s payout with 10 members. SEC is more prestigious. Larger footprint. Better exposure. Better competition. Plus, there is no Texas to deal with regarding TV network (SEC Network vs Longhorn Network) and conference issues.

And on top of all of that.....”It Just Means More”....

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:48 am »

SEC is stronger financially. Annual payout is greater for SEC schools with 14 teams than the Big 12’s payout with 10 members. SEC is more prestigious. Larger footprint. Better exposure. Better competition. Plus, there is no Texas to deal with regarding TV network (SEC Network vs Longhorn Network) and conference issues.

All this is true, but do we win more in the Big 12?  I, personally, don't care that we're gonna get a nice payout from UGA and Bama being in the CFP when we went 4-8.  Money is always the fallback on this discussion. Does $ equal wins?

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 11:38:41 am »

By this logic a very strong case could be made that Arkansas falls into the G5 if further realignment happens.

You're missing the point. The SEC has 0% chance of falling apart. We're not going anywhere because the SEC's not going anywhere. We're already in a stable conference. The B12 is not a stable conference in the long term due to lack of attractive markets and shortage of attractive programs. Conference realignment hasn't been a 52-card pickup. It's been about the strong conferences flexing their muscle and taking what they want from others to get stronger/richer.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 11:45:43 am »

All this is true, but do we win more in the Big 12?  I, personally, don't care that we're gonna get a nice payout from UGA and Bama being in the CFP when we went 4-8.  Money is always the fallback on this discussion. Does $ equal wins?
When I go on tRant and the bragging is about $ and not wins then I’ll give a frick about money!  I’d rather play in the sun belt and win than play in the sec and get turd-stomped*

*no I am not saying we cannot compete in the sec

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 11:46:16 am »

You're missing the point. The SEC has 0% chance of falling apart. We're not going anywhere because the SEC's not going anywhere. We're already in a stable conference. The B12 is not a stable conference in the long term due to lack of attractive markets and shortage of attractive programs. Conference realignment hasn't been a 52-card pickup. It's been about the strong conferences flexing their muscle and taking what they want from others to get stronger/richer.

It's not like we are a founding member, bring in a significant amount of revenue for the league, or have strong rivalries in the conference. I'm not sure how you think we are "safe" if drastic realignment happened. 

I'm not entirely sure how that (unlikely) scenario would play out legally, but it wasn't that long ago West Virginia being in the Big 12 would have gotten some wild looks.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:39 am »

Why do we talk about stuff that will never ever happen?  Let's be logical here.  Why would we leave a conference in which the football revenue could practically run the entire athletic department?

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 11:48:21 am »

We would probably win a few more games. But OU & TCU are always salty. Not to mention that Okie St, WV, K-State, and UT are certainly not “gimmies”.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:53 am »

It's not like we are a founding member, bring in a significant amount of revenue for the league, or have strong rivalries in the conference. I'm not sure how you think we are "safe" if drastic realignment happened. 

I'm not entirely sure how that (unlikely) scenario would play out legally, but it wasn't that long ago West Virginia being in the Big 12 would have gotten some wild looks.

I know the inferiority complex in this fan base runs strong but the SEC isn't kicking Arkansas out.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:07 am »

Why do we talk about stuff that will never ever happen?  Let's be logical here.  Why would we leave a conference in which football revenue can run practically the entire athletic department?

You mean like...the dozens of threads that pop up about Gruden every time there's an opening for HC?

This is the only argument you guys give for staying in the SEC. All that revenue and split-up SEC money have resulted in what since we joined the SEC?

code red

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 11:51:35 am »

We would probably win a few more games. But OU & TCU are always salty. Not to mention that Okie St, WV, K-State, and UT are certainly not “gimmies”.
And you lose a major recruiting footprint.  Some people claim we need to dip into Texas.....yes I agree.  But losing Florida and Memphis Area may counter act those efforts.  You need some florida speed as well.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:04 am »

You mean like...the dozens of threads that pop up about Gruden every time there's an opening for HC?

This is the only argument you guys give for staying in the SEC. All that revenue and split-up SEC money have resulted in what since we joined the SEC?

And people assume that we’ll be more successful with less $ ?

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:28 am »

And you lose a major recruiting footprint.  Some people claim we need to dip into Texas.....yes I agree.  But losing Florida and Memphis Area may counter act those efforts.  You need some florida speed as well.

No doubt.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:04 am »

And people assume that we’ll be more successful with less $ ?

Are we more successful with more money? We've been raking in SEC money for years, and we're 29-34 the last 5 seasons?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 11:54:07 am »

Why would we lose that footprint? Is the University of Arkansas changing locations?

Oklahoma and Texas still have players from Florida on their rosters, about the same number as A&M.

code red

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:55 am »

It will be vastly easier for Arkansas to win a National Championship in the SEC.  You are guaranteed not to have to play bama, LSU, Auburn in the championship game.  If you win the west you will be in the top 5.  Just one game away from the CFP.  Just a couple random thoughts.  I think our fan base needs to stop it with the excuses and making the road easier.   And focus on fielding good teams.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 11:57:39 am »

It will be vastly easier for Arkansas to win a National Championship in the SEC.  You are guaranteed not to have to play bama, LSU, Auburn in the championship game.  If you win the west you will be in the top 5.  Just one game away from the CFP.  Just a couple random thoughts.  I think our fan base needs to stop it with the excuses and making the road easier.   And focus on fielding good teams.

Sure thing. That's why we played in the National Championship in 2011, our best year in recent memory.

Oh, no we didn't. We lost 2 games that year to whom? We were ranked #3 at one point, behind what 2 teams?

code red

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

Why would we lose that footprint? Is the University of Arkansas changing locations?

Oklahoma and Texas still have players from Florida on their rosters, about the same number as A&M.
Why would SEC talent want to play in the Big 12?  Why would a Florida boy want to play in the Big 12 when his relatives can't even get the channel to watch him play?

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:35 am »

We've won the west three times in 26 years.

Hogarusa

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:36 am »

Why do these posts keep happening? Why do folks respond to it? Why did I open it? No clear answers

Fan1958

• Senior
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »

The simple solution to all of this is to move the main You of A campus to either Texarkana or Lake Village.  By moving the main campus to Texarkana, it should be easier to entice TX and LA, and to some extent even OK, recruits to campus. By moving the main campus to Lake Village, it should be easier to entice recruits from LA, MS, TN and all across the southeast.

You know what they say about real estate:  Location! Location! Location!

Hogarusa

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:16 pm »

Why would SEC talent want to play in the Big 12?  Why would a Florida boy want to play in the Big 12 when his relatives can't even get the channel to watch him play?

Unless they only have antennae, you can literally watch any P5 football game you want on tv and internet these days. Welcome to 2018
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas