Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has reality changed this much?

Started by HogFaninMemphis, January 11, 2018, 08:59:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFaninMemphis

Two weeks ago, we were talking about a great seed, formidable backcourt, thin frontcourt but led by a great freshman, and a recruiting situation that keeps getting better.

Is the backcourt no longer good?
Is Gafford not any good?
Are our recruits suddenly not any good?

What an atrocious last 3 games we've played! Does that mean this team suddenly isn't any good, and those recruits we were celebrating are overrated like this team? I have no angle or agenda, it's just the questions I've been asking myself while reading about how the basketball team and Jump Ball burned to the ground last night.

Please discuss.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Hogwild

I believe that the biggest factor is the SEC is a much improved basketball conference.  We are not alone, A&M was #5 in the nation two weeks ago, if they don't win at Tennessee they will be 0-5.  LSU who was last in the standing last season, is one shot missed shot against Kentucky from being 3-0 in the conference.

razorpimp

The recruiting is not getting better!  Where are folks getting this from?  His great class next year is ranked #24!!!!  24!!!!  And 6th in the sec, the only reason we are 6th is from pure number of recruits!  It's pathetic!

Bad coaching + mediocre recruiting = Mike Anderson

razorpimp

Quote from: Hogwild on January 11, 2018, 09:03:08 am
I believe that the biggest factor is the SEC is a much improved basketball conference.  We are not alone, A&M was #5 in the nation two weeks ago, if they don't win at Tennessee they will be 0-5.  LSU who was last in the standing last season, is one shot missed shot against Kentucky from being 3-0 in the conference.

A&M has significant, very significant injuries to their key players! 

Next excuse please

hogsanity

The reality is the same as it was before he was hired.

1. HE can only coach one way, and teams have figured out how to beat that one way

2. His best recruits since he started as a HC have either been kids of family or close friends, or kids like Gafford and Portis who were going to come to AR regardless of the coach. Qualls is the only player I can ever remember him getting at any of his stops that ever developed from a so so recruit into a excellent player.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 09:06:28 am
The recruiting is not getting better!  Where are folks getting this from?  His great class next year is ranked #24!!!!  24!!!!  And 6th in the sec, the only reason we are 6th is from pure number of recruits!  It's pathetic!

24th is actually a pretty good class when you consider where we are in the National landscape of college basketball.

If all of Mikes classes were ranked in the Top 25, our program would be much more consistent.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 09:10:14 am
The reality is the same as it was before he was hired.

1. HE can only coach one way, and teams have figured out how to beat that one way

2. His best recruits since he started as a HC have either been kids of family or close friends, or kids like Gafford and Portis who were going to come to AR regardless of the coach. Qualls is the only player I can ever remember him getting at any of his stops that ever developed from a so so recruit into a excellent player.

I partially agree with your first point. Coaches definitely know how to beat the half-baked press as long as there aren't really good people running it. Our two best guards are not very good defenders and especially bad pressers, which essentially kills our press before it even starts simply based on personnel.
Players like Qualls are the ones that guys like MA can really coach up if given the chance. DeMarre Carroll is a better example than Qualls, because he actually made it, but Carroll is MA's nephew, so that definitely fits your point about family or close friends.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 09:16:18 am
24th is actually a pretty good class when you consider where we are in the National landscape of college basketball.

If all of Mikes classes were ranked in the Top 25, our program would be much more consistent.
I agree that 24 is pretty good. I think it looks less good when you consider Perry and the fact that we're senior-heavy this year. Next year is starting to look scary, given these past few games. The bench needs to grow up fast.

razorpimp

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 09:16:18 am

Your words fit....pretty good...some folks say it's great!

I don't accept that, not in basketball...no excuses for bad recruiting in basketball

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 09:19:27 am
Your words fit....pretty good...some folks say it's great!

I don't accept that, not in basketball...no excuses for bad recruiting in basketball

The 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes have been overall solid classes. The big loss was Garland not being cleared to play. That is killing guard depth.

The 2014 and 2015 classes are really hurting us right now. Two of the better players from that class have left (Babb and Whitt) and are putting up solid numbers at their new school. The 2014 class was just bad, and the 2015 class eneded up being one of the worst in the entire country. Those two classes are supposed to be our juniors and seniors right now.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 09:27:10 am
The 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes have been overall solid classes. The big loss was Garland not being cleared to play. That is killing guard depth.

The 2014 and 2015 classes are really hurting us right now. Two of the better players from that class have left (Babb and Whitt) and are putting up solid numbers at their new school. The 2014 class was just bad, and the 2015 class eneded up being one of the worst in the entire country. Those two classes are supposed to be our juniors and seniors right now.

But he had to give Whitt and Babb's time to Manny cause, you know, staff issues.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 09:31:32 am
But he had to give Whitt and Babb's time to Manny cause, you know, staff issues.

Babb should still be on this team and should have played more on the 2015 team. Mike mishandled that and he is paying for that now.

Atlhogfan1

What changed was getting into conference play.  Scouting and preparation goes to another level in conference play.  Familiarity helps.

I'm not saying this as a shot to Mike:  the mentality of the system is if we do what we do well then they will have to play our game and we will do it better.  SEC opponents prepare for it and how to attack us.  Defensively they are going to take away Barford and/or Macon.  Offensively the book has been out for a while.  If you have decent guards who are at least somewhat strong with the ball, be patient and wait for our bad switches and make the extra pass to get an open shot or layup on a size mismatch due to a switch in the post.  A strong PG will often destroy us.  We have to drive tempo, make shots and cause turnovers or the opponent's preparation will often be too much. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

How many years do we have to hear the "Mike is bringing in a great class next year so we probably need to hang onto him so we don't lose it" line?  It seems like Mike has been bringing in great classes for years.  Where are the on the court accomplishments to go with them?

Atlhogfan1

An addition that should help next season and would have been great to have had this season is the transfer G from New Mexico. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 09:46:26 am
An addition that should help next season and would have been great to have had this season is the transfer G from New Mexico. 
didn't think about that. We have had good success with transfers under MA. Harris was real solid, and Thomas has been a good rotation player (please don't respond to this comment and bash him).

The_Iceman

Hopefully Harris can come in and do for us whay Babb and Whitt have done for their new programs.

CPO Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 09:41:26 am
What changed was getting into conference play.  Scouting and preparation goes to another level in conference play.  Familiarity helps.

We have to drive tempo, make shots and cause turnovers or the opponent's preparation will often be too much.
We're a 1 trick pony, and SEC teams know how to ride it.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: CPO Hog on January 11, 2018, 10:16:20 am
We're a 1 trick pony, and SEC teams know how to ride it.
fair enough
I think the system has decent success when run properly, just needs the right personnel. It also needs shots to fall. Our offense was atrocious last night.
Saying the system DOESN'T work is obviously wrong, but it definitely has a book written on how to stop it. The way to fix that is putting wrinkles into it and also putting guys on the floor capable of staying in front of the other guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 09:46:26 am

Another dangling carrot. It is always something about next year under Mike. Just wait til Thomas is eligible, just wait til this class gets here or the next class or the class after that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 10:35:20 am
Another dangling carrot. It is always something about next year under Mike. Just wait til Thomas is eligible, just wait til this class gets here or the next class or the class after that.

Now sanity, you know me better than that. 

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 11, 2018, 10:21:49 am
fair enough
I think the system has decent success when run properly, just needs the right personnel. It also needs shots to fall. Our offense was atrocious last night.
Saying the system DOESN'T work is obviously wrong, but it definitely has a book written on how to stop it. The way to fix that is putting wrinkles into it and also putting guys on the floor capable of staying in front of the other guys.

It works.  Like all systems in sports whether its college basketball or football, not all the time.  Opponents prepare for it.  Some can successfully attack it and impose their will and some can't.  This is where if you have the overriding talent that fits to play in it, it works more often.  Mike has not been able to replicate what he had at Mizzou. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 10:40:43 am
Now sanity, you know me better than that. 

It works.  Like all systems in sports whether its college basketball or football, not all the time.  Opponents prepare for it.  Some can successfully attack it and impose their will and some can't.  This is where if you have the overriding talent that fits to play in it, it works more often.  Mike has not been able to replicate what he had at Mizzou. 

Sorry, did not mean YOU were dangling the carrot, I just mean that yet again the program is waiting on some future player to turn things around.

Here is what it does mean though. We have 6 Sr's graduating, so next year we will have 2 players sitting out this year ( HOPEFULLY Garland gets cleared ) and a bunch of brand new guys to try to assimilate into a system that apparently takes years to learn.

Kevin

coach Anderson's philosophy is we do what we do

no adjustments from team to team, scouting report
no real in game adjustments, he is going to switch that pick & roll every time

Anderson is what he is.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 10:45:58 am
Sorry, did not mean YOU were dangling the carrot, I just mean that yet again the program is waiting on some future player to turn things around.

Here is what it does mean though. We have 6 Sr's graduating, so next year we will have 2 players sitting out this year ( HOPEFULLY Garland gets cleared ) and a bunch of brand new guys to try to assimilate into a system that apparently takes years to learn.

I know. 

MountieDawg

Not saying its the problem but since Cook (who should have been kicked off the team) was allowed to play this team has not played the same.  Discipline is important!
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 11, 2018, 10:54:27 am
Not saying its the problem but since Cook (who should have been kicked off the team) was allowed to play this team has not played the same.  Discipline is important!

Cook coming back negated all the progress Bailey was making.

40MINSOFHELL

Could be that Arkansas is just in a bad slump that they can't get out of at the moment.

311Hog

something is definitely up.  shooting slumps i get, but our defense is bad.  Maybe it is rust from the holiday break.

pokeydaman

i only watched 12 minutes before i angrily turned it off. All i saw was one on one streetball.  No offensive sets, no trying to get the ball inside, then kick back out.  It was Beard dribbling for 10 seconds then jackin up a shot. It was Thomas shooting a jump shot? really? No sharing of the basketball, just " get mine".
i remember one shot of Barford, who is my favorite player on the team: he drives in, goes up, a second defender steps over, leaving his man Thomas who was gliding down the baseline towards the hoop. Does Barford pass to the wide open teammate? nope! He dip-see-do's and craddles the ball and throws up some wild shot, that missed. i turned it off after that

phadedhawg

There's just something about conference play that exposes us.  Anderson can sneak up on and beat a non conference team but SEC coaches know what to do. 

It was easy to whistle past the Houston game even though we were destroyed in that game.  UNC, we didn't expect to win that game anyway. 

MSU sucked for us because we could have won that game but let it get away.  Auburn...ugh.  Still, an 0-2 road trip in the SEC isn't cause for hitting the panic button but to come home and perform the way we did....unacceptable.  All the hype, excitement and fan interest just went down the drain in spectacular fashion. 

It seems like recruiting has improved so going into this year I was very excited for Anderson to continue.  If he doesn't pull this season out of the nose dive it is currently in changes will need to be made. 

userpick

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. The only reason we are ranked top 25 is because we've signed 6 players. Look at the average player ranking we are bringing in....here's a hint: we rank NEXT TO LAST in the SEC. You either have to out talent teams or out coach teams in order to win, and we damn sure won't ever outcoach a conference opponent.

Pig in the Pokey

whitt put up solid #s??? LINK
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bkjbearcat

The deficiencies Hogs have in recruiting in football just don't exist in basketball. There is too much talent in basketball just to go to ten teams. That's why you have small private schools with no resources consistently in the top 25. So it's disturbing when MA strikes out on so many 5* players. And to make matters worse the excuse is, we don't need them. Yes, we do. It would of been great to have Goodwin, Monk and Perry at Arkansas.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

cram224

No expert here, but the MSU and LSU games were just a like. Defend the perimeter and force Ark into a half court game. How many times, with the shot clock running down, do we just dribble, dribble and jack up a contested 3. Gafford, we don't know how good he is because we never make much effort to get the ball down low to him. Nobody has coached him on footwork and getting position down low. It makes you wonder if Corliss was on this team if we would make an effort to get him the ball.

Uncontested layups, CMA needs to have a stat for how many layups we allow. This idea of allowing an opponent to shoot quick layups so we can get the ball back quicker, possessions, is BS. Not much zone, you would think with the size and length we could have on the court we would be good in a zone. However that's not CMA style. You know what, good coaches change. They showed CMA wired at least three times last night, not one time was he making any changes. All we heard was rah rah speeches and play harder. We pay enough money too get better than this BS.

hawginbigd1

This is exactly right 2014 was a dumpster fire in recruiting, 2015 was only marginally better.  Since then solid to really really good with the next class.

I haven't mentioned it before and i can't remember who it was but one of the national recruiting guys pointed out or took a shot that many people might have glossed over. He was talking about our recent successes in recruiting  paraphrasing a bit here, i haven't seen the Arkansas staff be this active on the recruiting trail before!
Clearly pointing to a lack of effort previously.

hogsanity

Quote from: cram224 on January 11, 2018, 11:52:43 am
No expert here, but the MSU and LSU games were just a like. Defend the perimeter and force Ark into a half court game. How many times, with the shot clock running down, do we just dribble, dribble and jack up a contested 3. Gafford, we don't know how good he is because we never make much effort to get the ball down low to him. Nobody has coached him on footwork and getting position down low. It makes you wonder if Corliss was on this team if we would make an effort to get him the ball.

Uncontested layups, CMA needs to have a stat for how many layups we allow. This idea of allowing an opponent to shoot quick layups so we can get the ball back quicker, possessions, is BS. Not much zone, you would think with the size and length we could have on the court we would be good in a zone. However that's not CMA style. You know what, good coaches change. They showed CMA wired at least three times last night, not one time was he making any changes. All we heard was rah rah speeches and play harder. We pay enough money too get better than this BS.

What is really funny is that last year was heading into the abyss until he went to the zone at half time in red stick. They were a different teams after that.

IMO, it is because Mike sees it as some type of personal failure or insult if he has to coach team playing primarily zone because that is not Mike Anderson's style. His team pressures and gets in your face ( until you drive by for a layup or dish for a dunk that is ). Only pansy teams plays zone.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 11, 2018, 11:54:37 am
This is exactly right 2014 was a dumpster fire in recruiting, 2015 was only marginally better.  Since then solid to really really good with the next class.

I haven't mentioned it before and i can't remember who it was but one of the national recruiting guys pointed out or took a shot that many people might have glossed over. He was talking about our recent successes in recruiting  paraphrasing a bit here, i haven't seen the Arkansas staff be this active on the recruiting trail before!

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five-top-40-ramey-will-won-t-sign-early

"I said during the summer that I couldn't remember the last time Anderson and his staff were so visible on the recruiting trail. That effort has paid off."

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 11, 2018, 11:54:37 am

Here we go again, just hang on until the 2018 class or the 2019 or I heard the 2030 class is going to be special, some really good 1st graders tearing up the LR rink dink leagues right now. Couple of Mike's good friends have grand kids playing in the 5/6 yr old league. So we just gotta roll with Mike until that class gets here in 12 years.

razorpimp

Sorry Ice...but we are not Kentucky or Duke....we can't be dependent on a 3* freshman guard to help with any depth....he would not be any help and probably would just be another foul machine

golfinpig

Reality has not changed. MA is and will always be a lousy coach and a poor recruiter. The only thing worse than his preparation is his in game coaching. But he's a great guy so let's give him another 5 years.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 12:00:23 pm
Sorry Ice...but we are not Kentucky or Duke....we can't be dependent on a 3* freshman guard to help with any depth....he would not be any help and probably would just be another foul machine

Garland would have helped.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211933/khalil-garland

Fan701

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 11, 2018, 08:59:09 am
Two weeks ago, we were talking about a great seed, formidable backcourt, thin frontcourt but led by a great freshman, and a recruiting situation that keeps getting better.

Is the backcourt no longer good?
Is Gafford not any good?
Are our recruits suddenly not any good?

What an atrocious last 3 games we've played! Does that mean this team suddenly isn't any good, and those recruits we were celebrating are overrated like this team? I have no angle or agenda, it's just the questions I've been asking myself while reading about how the basketball team and Jump Ball burned to the ground last night.

Please discuss.
Yes, suddenly we're terrible.  I mean really hopelessly inept.  How did a team with so much promise suddenly collapse like this?  We went through a similar bad spell last year and pulled out of it somehow.  I don't know if we can do that again.  I'm just going to try to think about something else.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 11:58:55 am
Here we go again, just hang on until the 2018 class or the 2019 or I heard the 2030 class is going to be special, some really good 1st graders tearing up the LR rink dink leagues right now. Couple of Mike's good friends have grand kids playing in the 5/6 yr old league. So we just gotta roll with Mike until that class gets here in 12 years.
I understand your frustration with the dangling carrot, but there statistically has been an uptick in recruiting the past few years. His classes are solid but not great, so he basically needs all of his classes to be that good or there will be holes in the team like there are this year and will be next. Just like with BB, it's not an acceptable excuse, but it does seem to be the issue right now. That's why Barford and Macon are on this team.

Drop the Mike

The SEC is much tougher than when Mike first got here. Of our first 4 opponents, there is 15 sweet 16 appearances between Barnes, Howland, and Pearl. LSU seems to have really upgraded with their coach as has Bama, and South Carolina.

No more Tony Barbee's or Johnny Jones to beat to make you look good as a coach

mizzouman

Reality never changes.  Perception does.

hogsanity

The REALITY is Mike's "style" has not worked for a long time, too many people doing similar things, too many rule changes to help the offense. Too many players really good at handling the ball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 01:04:26 pm
The REALITY is Mike's "style" has not worked for a long time, too many people doing similar things, too many rule changes to help the offense. Too many players really good at handling the ball.

As much as he wants to be, Mike isn't a defensive coach. He is an offensive coach. However, his offense is in a major slump.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 01:14:45 pm
As much as he wants to be, Mike isn't a defensive coach. He is an offensive coach. However, his offense is in a major slump.
interesting analysis. I could agree with this.

niels_boar

Already this season Florida has gone from "Final Four contender" to losing four of five, including at home to Loyola (3-2, MVC), to 4-0 SEC.  It's a really a waste of time to use every game in January as a referendum on the coach's status, system, and recruiting.  You could have done a screenshot of the board exactly one year ago, and it wouldn't look any different.  Then in March we're crushed that the refs robbed us against the eventual NCs.

The SEC is brutal this season.  Somebody is going to get beaten down.  Will it be us? Certainly can't rule it out at the moment.  Will we turn it around? Maybe.  Of course, we could sneak into the tourney at 9-9 in the SEC and then make a run like USC last season, who looked down and out as late as March.  If we make it to the second week of the tourney, early January will be quickly forgotten.  Just the let the season play out and support the team until the games are finished.  Predictions are difficult, especially about the future.  Some teams have dramatic changes in fortune every season.  Wisconsin was once 11-10 during a FF campaign.  If we crash and burn, there will be plenty of time to discuss the implications.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.