Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senior Leadership

Started by ShadowHawg, January 11, 2018, 01:11:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Macon and Beard need to be benched.

Neither one moves without the ball. Both are ball stoppers. Beard won't even push the ball in transition. Macon isn't getting out on the break either.

Both are lazy on defense. Beard is acceptable on the ball but doesn't give the effort required to make proper rotations when he is off the ball. All he really has to do is find the ball AND his man. Too lazy to turn his head.

Macon only has 4 fouls in 109 minutes over the last three games, in our system. It means he isn't harassing the ball when he is on it and not rotating over when he isn't.

Can't have this out of our seniors. Bad bench play or not. These two can't be on the court together at the beginning of games right now. They are killing the energy level of this team.

Ultimately it falls on the coach to handle this problem. It's on MA, IMO.

geauxhawgs

Macon just needs his butt lit into. Beard is LAZY!! Get him off the dang court.

waphill

They both have been playing very selfish. They each had 1 assist in 33 minutes last night. ONE. That tells me their trying to "get theirs" instead of playing as a team. Also, they both seem to refuse to feed the post.

TNhawgfan

Last night was the first game I watched where Macon looked terrible. His shots were forced (since when does he shoot airballs?) and his defense was non-existent. I know he wasn't great against Auburn either, but last night was really bad.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawg Red

Let's breakdown the seniors currently on the roster for a second.

There are 3 JUCO seniors (Barford, Cook, Macon) -- This means half of our 6 seniors only have 1.5 years of experience in Anderson's system and in D1 basketball. That's really not the same as a 4-5 year senior like Manny Watkins or Dusty Hannahs. How much, if anything, did these players learn in the way of leadership in JUCO ranks? We know they were the best players on their respective teams, but that doesn't necessarily make you a leader. I do think each of these players brings a certain level of toughness or swagger (more talking about Barford and Macon here), but you'll see plenty of glimpses of immaturity from Barford and Macon. Unnecessary chippiness at times, Macon jawing with fans right before an in-bound that could tie or win the game for us, Macon pouting at times, etc. With Cook, he's been arrested twice while at Arkansas. We've already argued the severity (or lack of severity depending on your stance) of his transgressions, but those certainly aren't things that a leader does. 2 of these 3 are our best players. Big problem. Still, I am in no way being critical of their presence on the team because Anderson absolutely did the right thing signing both of them and giving him the roles he did. We need/needed them big time because we were striking out on prep targets in that recruiting class (we seem to be having more success in the prep ranks now). But I'm just pointing out where a lesson can be learned for both the coaches and the fans that maybe you can't expect a JUCO player(s) to lead your team. Their D1 career arc is so abbreviated and hurried. It's only logical to see where they might fall short as leaders as a result. I'm sure there are obvious exceptions (maybe Coty Clarke and Jabril Durham....maybe).

Then we have Dustin Thomas, a 5th-year senior transfer from another D1 school who has been arrested and also suspended to start his senior year. Do we need to elaborate? Just a thought, but maybe dig around a little bit more on the individual because he certainly seems like someone who, at his core, is a bit of a behavioral problem.

Next, we have Anton Beard. Like Thomas, arrested for something very, very stupid. You can see by how undisciplined he plays at times. But anyone with an arrest on the record is going to not likely be a leader.

Lastly, there's Trey Thompson. By all accounts, an exceptional young man and student. Graduated in 3 years, not a hint of trouble. But he's a big, gentle giant. The fact that he plays quiet should tell you that he likely isn't a leader. He's one of those guys that really doesn't need to be lead by a team captain, but he's not adding much in the way of leadership.

This is something that we all probably underestimated and did not analyze going into this season. Having 6 seniors sounded like we had leadership covered. I'm not here to criticize the recruiting of the past, but hopefully the staff is able to find the type of player who is both talented and has the makings of a leader in future classes. We should be out of this period where Anderson is just trying to fill holes and have a complete roster. He can be plenty picky with the players he brings now with so few scholarships open.

So who are our leaders going forward? That's the question. Next year will maybe not be so successful because we'll have 0 seniors but a lot of talented players will get to cut their teeth early on. Isaiah Joe is a player I can see with great leadership qualities. I get that sense from Desi Sills a little as well. To me, he's like a better version of Beard in every way possible. Justice Hill has the makings. Too unfamiliar with guys like Chaney, Phillips and Embery, and even Henderson. I guess I say all of this to say I like the kinds of kids Anderson is bringing out of the prep ranks that combine talent and character. We might have another dip after this season (and I still think we get it together this season), but I think the staff will avoid having to bring in 3 JUCOs at once and I think the state will provide better talent year in and year out than the 2014 class that gave us two of our current seniors. We've hit a rough patch. Let Coach make adjustments. But, yes, we are struggling with senior leadership and that will cost us postseason success if a couple of guys don't step up on their way out.

razorpimp

They think they're better than they really are.....they can go kick rocks in the D league or Lithuania next year with the Ball boyz

Hawg Red

Quote from: waphill on January 11, 2018, 09:08:29 am
They both have been playing very selfish. They each had 1 assist in 33 minutes last night. ONE. That tells me their trying to "get theirs" instead of playing as a team. Also, they both seem to refuse to feed the post.

That's a little more surprising for Macon, but Barford's game has not changed a bit other than that shots he has been making (many of them difficult) aren't falling. Macon actually had a stretch earlier this season where he was dropping dimes left and right. I have to believe Mike can prod him enough to get him back there. I saw a group early in the season that was hungry and competitive. If that's who they truly were, they're fed up right now and should come out and put a butt-whopping on Mizzou.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 11, 2018, 01:11:42 am
Macon and Beard need to be benched.

Neither one moves without the ball. Both are ball stoppers. Beard won't even push the ball in transition. Macon isn't getting out on the break either.

Both are lazy on defense. Beard is acceptable on the ball but doesn't give the effort required to make proper rotations when he is off the ball. All he really has to do is find the ball AND his man. Too lazy to turn his head.

Macon only has 4 fouls in 109 minutes over the last three games, in our system. It means he isn't harassing the ball when he is on it and not rotating over when he isn't.

Can't have this out of our seniors. Bad bench play or not. These two can't be on the court together at the beginning of games right now. They are killing the energy level of this team.

Ultimately it falls on the coach to handle this problem. It's on MA, IMO.

Agree with what you say jamie.

Our guards combined have 5 steals in these 3 losses. 

Do you think Macon and Barford are trying to conserve energy because of the minutes they are having to play? 

Do you think Mike has told them to be aggressive offensively and it has resulted in the ball stopping? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Dusty was a senior leader on the court last year. Was determined not to lose and carried the team and bailed out Mike.

We don't have that guy right now.

zebradynasty

You are correct about the lack of leadership. But it is ALL the seniors. I hate it because it looks like MA is clueless, can't coach or motivate...all the that crap fans say who don't know crap about basketball. The reason this team doesn't or can't do things we all see are wrong is because they just wont do it. IT IS NOT THAT MA DOESN"T KNOW HOW! MA knows how to teach and play man defense, MA knows how to teach and run offense. The $million question is why this team refuses to buy in 100%? Don't get me wrong that's on MA too but stop the madness of this man being ignorant in basketball knowledge.

The reason this team wasn't highly ranked preseason was because there was no indication that it had the means to improve on obvious weaknesses. No point guard, No inside threat, Only two legitimate scorers and most of all poor on the ball defense. Most people in basketball knew all this so that's why it took awhile for pollsters to take notice when we were winning. Even conference coaches/media weren't high on the hogs. Early on it seemed like they had addressed most of those issues and then the  seniors started reading the headlines and some are more concerned about moving on to the next level.

IF people would remember our defense was horrible last year! MA tried and tried to make them play full court defense and man-to-man he finally gave up and went more match up zone and less press. One would think things would be better this season but playing defense in sports is all about "want to" this team doesn't want to. Anyone...anytime can turn the corner on our man defense and get into the lane.

Offensively the lack of PG is killing us. It's made worse because we only have 2 scoring threats and their game is pretty much predicated on jump shots. We didn't have a PG last year but if you have great shooting that can make for things! Early on I thought Jones was going to be answer, but he is so deep in a slump now...makes me wonder if there really was anything there.

Gafford has been better than advertise and he has provided an inside scoring threat. Unfortunately we don't know how and when to get the ball to him. Thompson, Cook and Thomas (SENIORS) just don't give us much and never have. I knew we were in trouble when Thompson reported for fall camp the same size or bigger than ever. He should have lost 20lbs and would help him so much and it would have set the tone for the entire team.

It took awhile for last year team to buy in maybe the same thing will happen this year? It's up to the seniors.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 09:30:28 am
Agree with what you say jamie.

Our guards combined have 5 steals in these 3 losses. 

Do you think Macon and Barford are trying to conserve energy because of the minutes they are having to play? 

Do you think Mike has told them to be aggressive offensively and it has resulted in the ball stopping?

If you just listened to the mic'd portions of last night's game you would have your answers.

Macon and Beard have been ball stoppers their entire careers. Macon didn't come off the bench last year for nothing. Both have to be "encouraged" to not be.

The problem with ball stoppers and guys that don't move when off the ball is they  force everyone else to to stand around because if the guys off the ball try to move they are running toward each other because there are no open spaces to be filled.

Basically ball stoppers are occupying every spot in the half court other than the block.

The bench is the most effective motivational tool a coach has. Ours has stunk in conference play and MA's lack of trust in them is creating an attitude of entitlement from these two in particular. Got nothing to lose by playing Jones right now, good or bad, because the other two are killing the energy level of this team before the first media timeout.

For those disappointed because Thompson, Thomas, and Cook aren't leading......

You can't be serious. None of them have that type of personality.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 11, 2018, 03:39:42 pm
If you just listened to the mic'd portions of last night's game you would have your answers.

Macon and Beard have been ball stoppers their entire careers. Macon didn't come off the bench last year for nothing. Both have to be "encouraged" to not be.

The problem with ball stoppers and guys that don't move when off the ball is they  force everyone else to to stand around because if the guys off the ball try to move they are running toward each other because there are no open spaces to be filled.

Basically ball stoppers are occupying every spot in the half court other than the block.

The bench is the most effective motivational tool a coach has. Ours has stunk in conference play and MA's lack of trust in them is creating an attitude of entitlement from these two in particular. Got nothing to lose by playing Jones right now, good or bad, because the other two are killing the energy level of this team before the first media timeout.

For those disappointed because Thompson, Thomas, and Cook aren't leading......

You can't be serious. None of them have that type of personality.

You don't have to be vocal to be a leader. You can lead by example and let your play speak for you. Going into your senior year and showing no signs of improvement from your junior year...just sets a bad tone!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 11, 2018, 04:45:46 pm
You don't have to be vocal to be a leader. You can lead by example and let your play speak for you. Going into your senior year and showing no signs of improvement from your junior year...just sets a bad tone!

Right. There are 12 leaders on the team.

Pfft

Roadhog82

Hero ball offense. I can't tell if they are selfish players, or if they are wore out from full court D 35 minutes a game. To play the fastest 40 you have to use your bench. That being said I think they're selfish. Also gafford needs to be getting the ball more. Way more

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Roadhog82 on January 11, 2018, 08:14:00 pm
Hero ball offense. I can't tell if they are selfish players, or if they are wore out from full court D 35 minutes a game. To play the fastest 40 you have to use your bench. That being said I think they're selfish. Also gafford needs to be getting the ball more. Way more

I am coming around to your way of thinking. Would love to be wrong.

Rbill

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 11, 2018, 09:54:19 am

Gafford has been better than advertise and he has provided an inside scoring threat. Unfortunately we don't know how and when to get the ball to him. Thompson, Cook and Thomas (SENIORS) just don't give us much and never have. I knew we were in trouble when Thompson reported for fall camp the same size or bigger than ever. He should have lost 20lbs and would help him so much and it would have set the tone for the entire team.

You make many good points but you are too kind to the coaching staff. Particularly this paragraph has a lot to do with coaching. Tell them what to do and bench them if they don't. Feed the big man for crying out loud. And stop feeding the other big man so much.

Rbill

I remember last year a stretch where Macon completely disappeared. He appeared to be in the doghouse and looked completely and utterly disinterested on the court. He took a lot of grief for not playing D. It feels a bit like those times again. Like if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard he's taking up space.

But between Barford and Macon, it's Macon who seems to have more potential to step up and be a leader and facilitator. Barford is too quiet and it's all about his points. And he's pretty good at getting them. But if his shots aren't falling and he forgets about driving, he's just taking up space too. The problem is absolutely we don't have a leader and facilitator.

The other problem is if we bench those guys it doesn't solve the leadership problem. We might have 5 guys out there trying harder on D, but they'll look clueless too because none of them are as good as Macon and Barford at playing our 1on1 offensive gameplan. They shouldn't have to play that way. They should have someone setting them up for easy buckets.

Coach needs to come up with a gameplan. 1on1 should no longer be our seniors' first instinct. We need to make it clear that entry passes are a priority. No more possessions with no touches inside the arc. No more possessions without a single pass.

Hogimus Prime

IMO a part of the problem right now is fatigue.  Beard, Barford, and Macon have been playing a lot of minutes.  I think that is why some of their shots are not falling. This team doesn't have the guard depth to play uptempo. This team has three guards, a big then some forwards that can't score consistently.

razorpimp

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 11, 2018, 09:10:22 pm
IMO a part of the problem right now is fatigue.  Beard, Barford, and Macon have been playing a lot of minutes.  I think that is why some of their shots are not falling. This team doesn't have the guard depth to play uptempo. This team has three guards, a big then some forwards that can't score consistently.

Any whose job is it to recognize the issue and modify strategy to get the most out of a touch situation?  It is way more important to be able to adapt in basketball because of the limited scholarships...

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 09:14:05 pm
Any whose job is it to recognize the issue and modify strategy to get the most out of a touch situation?  It is way more important to be able to adapt in basketball because of the limited scholarships...

It's MA's and he doesn't adapt.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 11, 2018, 09:10:22 pm

It's not fatigue. Macon hasn't dailed in on defense for the majority of the season. His defense is lacking.

I would like Beard to move to the second unit. He just have a two guard mentality and that's who he is.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 11, 2018, 07:20:23 pm
Right. There are 12 leaders on the team.

Pfft

Whoever said that is wrong also.