Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan in the stands

Started by cram224, January 10, 2018, 10:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cram224

Anybody at the game know what the deal was with the fan and security in the second half?

Sivad

She wanted her money back. He gave her a handful of those Fakest40 $20s.

BroyledNutts

I posted this in another thread ....

There was one of the officials that came in with a chip on his shoulder, tried to take over the game, and got jumped on very early by fans ... during the course of the game there was a stoppage in play, thanks to a horrible call by said official, and the fans started in on him ... he moved to court side near her, (due to everyone under our basket coming down hard on him) and apparently she said something to him that made her very popular ... he stepped off court with the ball, approached an officer standing nearby, and she was shown out by this ref's request ... someone said as I was walking out that she returned a little later, but I never saw her after the ejection.

GCOOZ

She was no typical fan. I'm not sure what her name or position is, but she has worked for the athletic department for many years now.  That ref though. He was a real piece of work.

hobhog

Basketball team so bad can't even be a distraction.....

farfromgroovins

BroyledNutts

Quote from: GCOOZ on January 11, 2018, 12:54:03 am
She was no typical fan. I'm not sure what her name or position is, but she has worked for the athletic department for many years now.  That ref though. He was a real piece of work.

I hope she's an officiating coordinator or something - that guy needs to be on the ban list ... maybe the whole crew.

HamIAm

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 11, 2018, 01:14:48 am
I hope she's an officiating coordinator or something - that guy needs to be on the ban list ... maybe the whole crew.

We wouldn't have won even with the officials in our pocket.  Yes there were a few atrocious calls, like the charge on Gafford that got overturned, but officiating was not our problem.

lstewart

We sit behind the goal, and the thing I'm noticing is that we don't have the size and strength of the SEC teams we are playing. Then the refs are letting the teams play very physical and bang inside, which hurts us due to the lack of size and strength. The others teams don't get called for fouls, but then we do with our slapping, etc. We don't seem to have the bodies to compete in these types of games. But, that crew did seem pretty bad last night.....

hogsanity

Quote from: HamIAm on January 11, 2018, 08:14:13 am
We wouldn't have won even with the officials in our pocket.  Yes there were a few atrocious calls, like the charge on Gafford that got overturned, but officiating was not our problem.

The crew did exactly what they were supposed to do on that. The baseline official calls the charge because the player is set, he can't always see from the top of the body to the floor. The official in the C position saw the defender was in the restricted area, they got together, talked it over, and got the call right. They then went the to the 3rd official and made sure the basket went, this giving Gafford a and-1 possibility.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 08:45:25 am
The crew did exactly what they were supposed to do on that. The baseline official calls the charge because the player is set, he can't always see from the top of the body to the floor. The official in the C position saw the defender was in the restricted area, they got together, talked it over, and got the call right. They then went the to the 3rd official and made sure the basket went, this giving Gafford a and-1 possibility.

They got it right, but it took an awful long time to do so.

ATU HOG

So she got asked to leave because of something she said to the ref???

WOW

razorcash2

Quote from: GCOOZ on January 11, 2018, 12:54:03 am
She was no typical fan. I’m not sure what her name or position is, but she has worked for the athletic department for many years now.  That ref though. He was a real piece of work.
Was it Ms. Lisa from Randy's show?

hogginbama

Quote from: lstewart on January 11, 2018, 08:41:38 am
We sit behind the goal, and the thing I'm noticing is that we don't have the size and strength of the SEC teams we are playing. Then the refs are letting the teams play very physical and bang inside, which hurts us due to the lack of size and strength. The others teams don't get called for fouls, but then we do with our slapping, etc. We don't seem to have the bodies to compete in these types of games. But, that crew did seem pretty bad last night.....

Gotta agree with you here. The other guys, being all big-bodied and such, look more fluid and natural with their physical play. When one of our undersized guys gets physical and moves a big-bodied around it seems so unlikely that refs will call it a foul.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sivad on January 10, 2018, 11:45:21 pm
She wanted her money back. He gave her a handful of those Fakest40 $20s.

I wanted my money back for the electricity I spent but only for the first half after which I turned it off

1highhog

I got fed up with that ref so I beat his arse really good after the game last night.  I have proof,,, picture below.

SemperHawg

It happened right below me, the lady in the red checkered jacket was who he was talking to.  During the stoppage, some dude on Gucci row stood up and yelled something at the ref that he didn't like.  He went over to the lady sitting in the control area next to the student section, said something to her.  She immediately when back below the stands, I am assuming to speak to security, and then came back out.  They went and talked to the guy on Gucci row but I don't think anyone was actually removed from the game.

ATU HOG

In 2014 I was sitting front row of the student section for a basketball game behind the goal.  I made a joke pretty loud about the ref, which he heard, and he laughed and walked off.  Well not 2 minutes later someone working the game told me I wasn't aloud to do that.  Then I yelled something when it got quiet at the opposing team's player... wasn't bad or derogatory.  It got a chuckle out of everyone around us and the fans nearby... the lady then came and told me if I did it again I was out of here.

I responded by telling her this is a college student section, I didn't say anything terrible, and I'm assuming they don't have these problems at Duke and North Carolina.  It didn't happen again, but I thought it was ridiculous that the student affairs lady was having a fit over what I was saying.  It's a college basketball game...

Hawgdrummer7

She was kind of far away (i was sitting in with the band), but it looked like Chris Pohl. I don't remember exactly what she does, but she works for Athletics. I could be wrong, though.
Woo Pig Drum

tomahawkhog

Go Hogs!

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 08:45:25 am

Wasn't it called a charge at first, then went to the monitor and changed?

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2018, 12:53:25 pm
Wasn't it called a charge at first, then went to the monitor and changed?

The primary on that call was the guy right there on the baseline. He called it a charge, which it was, EXCEPT the defenders left foot was in the restricted zone, which was very hard to see from the angle that ref had. One of the outside officials, I believe it was the one free throw line extended on the opposite side of the court, came in and told the 1st official that the defender was in the restricted area. They talked it over and changed it to a block. Can't go to the monitor for that type of call until certain late points in the game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BroyledNutts

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 11, 2018, 11:30:42 am
It happened right below me, the lady in the red checkered jacket was who he was talking to.  During the stoppage, some dude on Gucci row stood up and yelled something at the ref that he didn't like.  He went over to the lady sitting in the control area next to the student section, said something to her.  She immediately when back below the stands, I am assuming to speak to security, and then came back out.  They went and talked to the guy on Gucci row but I don't think anyone was actually removed from the game.

Thanks for the clarification ... I was busy griping about the call to a guy equally frustrated in front of me, and neither one of us saw exactly what happened.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 12:58:16 pm
The primary on that call was the guy right there on the baseline. He called it a charge, which it was, EXCEPT the defenders left foot was in the restricted zone, which was very hard to see from the angle that ref had. One of the outside officials, I believe it was the one free throw line extended on the opposite side of the court, came in and told the 1st official that the defender was in the restricted area. They talked it over and changed it to a block. Can't go to the monitor for that type of call until certain late points in the game.
What you are saying is correct but they did go to the monitor. Not to review the call but to make sure they were assigning the foul to the correct player.

TebowHater

Quote from: Hawgdrummer7 on January 11, 2018, 11:45:47 am
She was kind of far away (i was sitting in with the band), but it looked like Chris Pohl. I don't remember exactly what she does, but she works for Athletics. I could be wrong, though.

To be clear, Chris Pohl was the ref's contact as one of the game managers. She was not ejected or in trouble. Rather, the ref told her who to deal with.

hogginbama

Quote from: TebowHater on January 11, 2018, 05:11:28 pm
To be clear, Chris Pohl was the ref's contact as one of the game managers. She was not ejected or in trouble. Rather, the ref told her who to deal with.

Oh that poor ref..."momma, that mean ole man is saying things about me again....can you please make him stop?"
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogsanity

Quote from: WMHawgfan on January 11, 2018, 04:33:57 pm
What you are saying is correct but they did go to the monitor. Not to review the call but to make sure they were assigning the foul to the correct player.

Well, as I said they did not go to the monitor to make the call. Getting the correct # is an acceptable use of the monitor there.

jfred59

If that Ref is that worried about someone yelling at him then he doesnt need to be calling SEC games.  Further if they said that crew wouldn t come back to call anymore games if the person wasnt dealt with, hell get the person to keep hollering because it would be a dream if that would happen

jfred59

Quote from: hogginbama on January 12, 2018, 12:16:22 pm
Oh that poor ref..."momma, that mean ole man is saying things about me again....can you please make him stop?"

Hope he brings his passy with him next time

NoogaHog

Quote from: jfred59 on January 12, 2018, 01:30:00 pm

Oh, I initially read that wrong, not as "passy", and thought he obviously did bring it with him and it was in a wad.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogsanity

Quote from: jfred59 on January 12, 2018, 01:28:50 pm
If that Ref is that worried about someone yelling at him then he doesnt need to be calling SEC games.  Further if they said that crew wouldn t come back to call anymore games if the person wasnt dealt with, hell get the person to keep hollering because it would be a dream if that would happen

depends on what they were hollering. I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, that person was dropping racial slurs. We have several AA's in our association and you'd be surprised, well maybe not, how often the N word and other racial epithets get yelled from the crowd. It's funny, you learn pretty quick how to tune the crowd out, but there are certain words you hear and it gets your attention.

jfred59

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2018, 01:50:28 pm
depends on what they were hollering. I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, that person was dropping racial slurs. We have several AA's in our association and you'd be surprised, well maybe not, how often the N word and other racial epithets get yelled from the crowd. It's funny, you learn pretty quick how to tune the crowd out, but there are certain words you hear and it gets your attention.

I understand that and in the line of work I have been in, I have been called every one of the four letter words and then some and sometime you have to be real thick skinned.  Since the comment that he made is out in public, Wallys column today, he is gonna catch it every time he hits the court at BWA and probably some other places.  From what I could see that night it was not an AA ref that was fussing about it. 

hogsanity

Quote from: jfred59 on January 12, 2018, 01:54:22 pm
I understand that and in the line of work I have been in, I have been called every one of the four letter words and then some and sometime you have to be real thick skinned.  Since the comment that he made is out in public, Wallys column today, he is gonna catch it every time he hits the court at BWA and probably some other places.  From what I could see that night it was not an AA ref that was fussing about it. 

Like I said it was just a guess. I know about the only time we will ask the home representation to deal with a crowd issue is if it is racial, or someone is throwing stuff on the court. The rest you just have to ignore and go on.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: jfred59 on January 12, 2018, 01:30:00 pm

What a great idea ... next game this guy calls at BWA, he needs to be greeted with the entire student section and anyone sitting close enough for him to see, to have pacifiers and baby bottles and diapers ...

fullfan

Just have the whole student section chant "REF U SUK" in unison over and over.   Hard to pin that on one person.