Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Defense is Just Awful

Started by cardsNhogs, January 10, 2018, 09:32:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cardsNhogs

We can not continue to switch every dang screen! Gafford can't protect the rim if he is guarding one of the SEC best guards out on the perimeter. Our 4 and 5 out on the perimeter while Beard and Macon try to defend the post.

arkfan81

Have faith...

Hog Pharm

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 10, 2018, 09:32:55 pm
We can not continue to switch every dang screen! Gafford can't protect the rim if he is guarding one of the SEC best guards out on the perimeter. Our 4 and 5 out on the perimeter while Beard and Macon try to defend the post.

Yeah I'll never understand it. It is STUPID.

Kevin

There is no changing defense. This is how we play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgsPolo

Terrible coaching job by MA and terrible effort from his team.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

The real Hogules

We simply are either lazy on defense, or are slow footed. So, which is it?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 10, 2018, 09:44:09 pm
We simply are either lazy on defense, or are slow footed. So, which is it?
undisciplined

golfinpig

This is a typical MA coached team. Pressing defense that causes no turnovers and has us chasing the ball from behind and if his teams ever had any stricter to it's offense I've never seen it. Get used to it, I have.

Athog

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 10, 2018, 09:43:17 pm
Terrible coaching job by MA and terrible effort from his team.

Says it ALL!

greasy_corner

Danny J

Yep...switching all picks is insane especially 30 feet from the basket. When we run across a team with a talented PG and coach who know how to exploit it we lose. Frustrating...but he's not gonna change.

Rbill

I've hated seeing our big men on the perimeter for years. On offense too for that matter.

rude1

Quote from: Danny J on January 10, 2018, 10:14:01 pm
Yep...switching all picks is insane especially 30 feet from the basket. When we run across a team with a talented PG and coach who know how to exploit it we lose. Frustrating...but he's not gonna change.
Since we were getting drummed, I was watching LSU more closely on offense, each time down they would run clock, then set the high pick with their big man, we would predictably take the bait and switch, the point guard would eat the big alive, get into the lane, break the defense and either score or dish for an easy score. I for one am tired of seeing this dumb defense played over and over with predictable results.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Danny J on January 10, 2018, 10:14:01 pm
It's a lazy form of D that is easily exploitable
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Mr. Porkleone

cardsNhogs

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 10, 2018, 10:17:33 pm
It's a lazy form of D that is easily exploitable
easiest way to teach guarding a ball pick= just switch it

InHOGuration Ball

It is difficult for me to perceive that the fate of this team is going to change based on what I am seeing each conference game and from many posters points of view. I just can't surmise if this team is lacking talented players, poorly coached, over confident or unlucky (or lucky to have as many wins that we have)???  I hope there is some sort of recovery ahead...or else we may not see the NIT.   

jchill

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 10, 2018, 09:52:06 pm
undisciplined

Maybe bring back the practice shorts that Eddie Sutton had when he was here. I believed it had defense written on the back.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: greasy_corner on January 10, 2018, 10:10:14 pm
no.  outdated scheme. 
not outdated scheme, just we don't have the players to play this scheme.  We do not have on the ball defenders on this team. 

hogsanity

Just switch Gaffords name with Kingsley or Portis and you could have made this post in any of the last 6 seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: golfinpig on January 10, 2018, 09:54:48 pm
This is a typical MA coached team. Pressing defense that causes no turnovers and has us chasing the ball from behind and if his teams ever had any stricter to it's offense I've never seen it. Get used to it, I have.
I'm not sure you can call what we've been doing 'pressure defense'. Yeah, it causes a bit of helter-skelter at times, but we aren't really defending anyone. (unless you want to characterize our non-penetrating guard play as defending ourselves.)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Paul

Quote from: jchill on January 11, 2018, 12:30:28 am

Maybe bring back the practice shorts that Eddie Sutton had when he was here. I believed it had defense written on the back.
or hire him as a consultant(or one of his sons or a high school coach)to teach these kids the fundamentals of the game.  That's who MA is hurting. 

HognotinMemphis

Defense? Defense? Are you kidding me? What defense?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Danny J

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 10, 2018, 10:19:36 pm
easiest way to teach guarding a ball pick= just switch it
Yep...it's lazy coaching. Hard hedge on all picks and rotate back. That solves half the problems and the other half is our man to man trap press full court which also brings the big away from the basket. We have no perimeter lock down defenders so why the hell are we pressing when the team being pressed beats it easily and gets wide open shots. We made no adjustments. We need to stop doubling and switching and working on keeping driving guards out of the lane. It's basic fundamental defense.

GuvHog

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on January 11, 2018, 09:28:08 am
not outdated scheme, just we don't have the players to play this scheme.  We do not have on the ball defenders on this team. 

No, it really is outdated.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2018, 10:43:12 am
No, it really is outdated.
He should play the matchup zone the rest of the season. Gafford should not be pulled out of that paint! There is no Defensive 3 in college basketball yet so take advantage and have Gafford stay close the the darn rim!

Otis

Quote from: Danny J on January 11, 2018, 09:48:42 am
Yep...it's lazy coaching. Hard hedge on all picks and rotate back. That solves half the problems and the other half is our man to man trap press full court which also brings the big away from the basket. We have no perimeter lock down defenders so why the hell are we pressing when the team being pressed beats it easily and gets wide open shots. We made no adjustments. We need to stop doubling and switching and working on keeping driving guards out of the lane. It's basic fundamental defense.

We've been saying this forn7 years. If people think he's going to change any of that haven't been paying attention