Fire?

Started by hawgball40, January 10, 2018, 09:06:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire?

Yes
No

hawgball40

BassinHawg

Hey! How does FCJ get to vote so many times?
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Breems

If no NCAAT, yes. Fireable offense with this talent.

Not after 3 conference games.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawgball40

Quote from: BassinHawg on January 10, 2018, 09:47:02 pm
Hey! How does FCJ get to vote so many times?
i voted no personally. i'm still not ready to fire yet. but my patience is wearing thin... believe that.

AirWarren

Quote from: Breems on January 10, 2018, 09:47:55 pm

Correct.

DOGALUM

I said yes last year.

Mike can not get it done here. Past time to try something else.

That said, no point in firing him at this point in the season.  Boot him at year's end. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

jjdlc

Agreed

tomw

Time for someone else to coach..7 years, same ol stuff..plenty of time to have turned into something

RaisinHog

No fire at all only ice wate

Breems

Quote from: tncbg on January 10, 2018, 09:58:14 pm
If you think this team has talent, you really don’t know basketball.

I want you to do something. I want you to click the edit button, erase this, and click save.

I care about you, man. Don't ruin your rep.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

BigHog396

I said fire after 16-16.  There was no excuse for that.  Most of us can clearly see all of the glaring coaching deficiencies we have as long as Mike is here.

I said fire again last year, mid-season, but completely understood that wouldn't happen if he managed to make the dance.  Most of us could still clearly see all of the glaring coaching deficiencies we have as long as Mike is here.

I still say fire, but again understand we can't do that until the end of the season.  If we end up as a bubble team, barely making the dance, it's time to cut our losses and head another direction.  If Mike can't get us deep in the tournament this year (Sweet 16 minimum) he needs to go.

By year seven Nolan had us to the 2nd round twice, to an Elite 8, and to a Final Four... and Nolan actually took over a program that didn't really have any talent to fit his style of play.  Mike's not even close to that, so unless our program is satisfied with this level of mediocrity, it's time for him to go without that deep run this year.

Rbill

I've asked this before, but why in the world don't we ever consider making Mike make some coaching changes to address weaknesses like other coaches have to do all the time. Would he walk away?

hawginbigd1

I think I am there, again he must corrected and get at least to the 2nd weekend or buh-bye

Beaverfever

He gets to finish the season.  If we don't win the regular season SEC championship, the SEC tournament or make it to the Sweet 16 then he no longer will have my support.

Hogginintheville

Hendrix or Morrison?

BroyledNutts

I don't know about this one ... He couldn't make shots for those guys, and 12 minutes with only two baskets and a free-throw, and 21 points in an entire half at home is going to put you behind the 8 ball pretty quick. Granted, there wasn't a lot of defensive integrity or intensity all game, but LSU had help in a lot of missed calls - hooking, forearms, push offs, walks, and over the backs to name but a few...plus they couldn't miss from the field ...

He does need to show some ability to get their attention, or they're going to get another kicking this Saturday. Very poor shot selection tonight from the stars, not a lot of sharing, and little offensive rebounding.

I'm not ready to say go just yet, but Mike's got to show some aptitude soon.

hogsanity

I say no, he needs 6 or 7 more years to get his players in here to run his system so they won't be gettin punk'd no more. You know it takes 12 or 13 years to turn things around.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pignatious

Absolutely fire Mike asap. He is incapable of actually coaching to get better. Can't win a road game to save his life. Inexcusable that we are looking this bad. Gave him a shot, made him rich, he just has not performed. We can and should be much better than this. We need a coach that has passion and just has none.
Freedom is never free.

popcornhog

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 10, 2018, 09:06:25 pm
What say ye?

I'd start to consider it if we miss the NCAA Tourney.

But not over a three game stretch. If this is just a slump and we get back to playing like we did against OU and UCONN, this skid will just be a footnote. If we keep getting demolished at home, then firing MA would be on the table.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: pignatious on January 10, 2018, 11:29:03 pm
Absolutely fire Mike asap. He is incapable of actually coaching to get better. Can't win a road game to save his life. Inexcusable that we are looking this bad. Gave him a shot, made him rich, he just has not performed. We can and should be much better than this. We need a coach that has passion and just has none.

We were 6-3 on the road last year. If we win 4 + on the road this year and hold serve at home, your statement is gonna look especially dumb.
WPS

hoglady

I'll support the team and Anderson throughout the season.
We'll see where we are at the end.

Can't place a loss like this totally at the coach's feet. We came out cold and stayed cold. He gave everyone a chance to spark the team and no one could. He started Bailey and sat Thomas like most were clamoring for. He gave CJ a chance - like many here were clamoring for.

This was not the team that beat Oklahoma - that was some of the worst basketball Arkansas has played at home in a long, long time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: popcornhog on January 10, 2018, 11:30:36 pm
We were 6-3 on the road last year. If we win 4 + on the road this year and hold serve at home, your statement is gonna look especially dumb.

They were 6-3 on the road in a bad sec. This sec is not nearly as bad as it was last year and I think the hogs are worse.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chortle

Love Mike the man. Hate Mike the coach. It's time for a new direction.

Lanny

Vote no.  Anderson can turn this around, team has lost confidence but it's fixable
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

The_Iceman

January 11, 2018, 07:20:57 am #24 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:10:48 am by The_Iceman
There's probably not a coach that I have wanted to see succeed more than Mike Anderson. seeing him winning big on the sidelines with Nolan watching would bring me great joy. But there's just something not right with him. He just doesn't have the fire that he should or that he needs to get this team for the high-level.

elksnort

Now? Of course not!

Not making NCAAT this season? YES

Razorod

It is a moot discussion until the end of the season. A new AD who was hired after this season started is not going to make a move while the season is in progress.

I believe it will take the wheels coming completely off and staying off for CMA to get fired.

What this season most likely does is determine the heat under the seat for next year.

What might be best for all parties concerned is for Anderson to look for a soft landing somewhere else--something like an American Athletic Conference gig, if one comes open.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hobhog

What are the buyout numbers? Chris Beard!

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 07:20:57 am
There's probably not a coach that I have wanted to see succeed more than Mike Anderson. seeing him winning big on the sidelines with Nolan watching would bring me great joy. But there's just something not right with him. He just doesn't have the fire that he should or that he needs to get this team for the high-level.

What is not right with him is he can only coach one way. I used to wonder, was it that he could not coach any other way than his "system" or would not? It is apparent now, he can not. If his team does not create a ton of turnovers, he has no answer, and with how well so many players handle the ball now, you just don't see teams turning it over 20+ times a game ( unless it is a rent a win ).

Atlhogfan1

%'s have a way of working themselves out.  We aren't as bad as last night.  It would take an epic amount of fail to miss the NCAAT this season.  Our non conference SOS is too strong.  The SEC is getting respect this season as a conference with depth.  9-9 gets the Hogs in.  8-10 may bubble them if they could go win a couple in the SECT.  To end up 9-9 or 8-10 would take so much more fail it just doesn't seem likely. 

We've seen this act before.  The team is in a slump.  They'll get hot again and win a few.  Get a good team not playing well(SC last season, UK in 2014) and get a good resume win and momentum.  The inconsistency with Anderson teams comes from the fact the system relies so much on energy.  Players have to bring it.  The hope was a home crowd would help them with it but last night the team was so awful from the start it never materialized. 

The current team has some issues as we have discussed.
Not sharing the ball in conference play.  We saw from the Tenn game hero ball with the guards.  Now Mike may have told them to be aggressive with the ball because of the lack of scoring options.  But this goes against what his teams have always been so good at doing.

Turnovers compared to turnovers caused.  We aren't winning this close to well enough.  Last night: 3 steals and only one of those from a guard.

Barford and Macon need a facilitator.  I'm not going to say a true PG as Mike's motion offense doesn't absolutely have to have one.  But the 3rd guard spot is too much of a hole right now.  And there is no real 4th.

The switching defense.  Not ever going to change.  And SEC coaches have it figured out.  Either go WV Bob Huggins 94 ft 40 minutes or protect the basket and take the wear and tear off of Macon, Barford and Gafford.

Macon, Barford and Beard are still playing ridiculous minutes for MA guards.  If you want to be pessimistic about the rest of the season, this should give you cause.  What will they have left as the schedule gets even tougher.  And the SEC schedule will get tougher.  AU-MSU-LSU was one of the "easier" stretches when looking at the schedule.

I still think we figure out how to win enough to get to the NCAAT although going to have to reduce my expectations for the season soon.  Similar seed to last season or little lower.  May still win a game in NCAAT.  "Just want us to get in and he got in" will be the narrative.  "One of the top 3 (or whatever) programs in the SEC over the last 4 seasons."  "Joe can really shoot and dunk.  Just wait."  "Class of 2020 is going to be special and they are only coming because of Mike." 

Give up on Mike ever being fired.  He will do well enough.  Basketball revenue is less and less important these days.  He has supporters who want him to be the coach.  Nolan was given his program back through MA.  They will want him to stay till he can't or doesn't want to coach any longer then pass it on to someone in the family.  Arkansas basketball is what it is now and will be for a long time.  Be thankful Mike is good enough to win some, get into NCAAT's, the state is producing talent and sending most of it his way and he won't embarrass us off the court. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cardsNhogs

Agree

hawgball40

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 07:20:57 am
this is probably accurate.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I was one of those that new that CMA was not the second coming of Nolan and was against him coming. I like CMA and have met him several times. A great guy but not that good of a coach in my opinion.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 08:57:56 am

We've seen this act before. 

We've seen this act before in a SEC that has not been nearly as good as it is this year. We have seen this act before where Mike does just enough, and dangles the next recruiting class carrot to keep his job.

When Mike has pulled his job out of the fire before, he had the best player on the floor many nights, in BP/Qualls and last year in Barford/Macon and Kingsley. Plus he had a really good scorer in Hannahs last year to take some of the heat off of Barford and Macon. This year, not sure how many SEC games the Hogs will play where they have the best player on the floor.

If not for the fact that TN actually fouls more than the Hogs, an incredible feat, the Hogs would be 0-4 in the sec.

Sivad

Give up on Mike ever being fired. He has supporters who want him to be the coach. Nolan was given his program back through MA. 
They will want him to stay till he can't or doesn't want to coach any longer then pass it on to someone in the family.
God forbid.

hogsanity

Give up on Mike ever being fired.  He will do well enough.  Basketball revenue is less and less important these days.  He has supporters who want him to be the coach.  Nolan was given his program back through MA.  They will want him to stay till he can't or doesn't want to coach any longer then pass it on to someone in the family.  Arkansas basketball is what it is now and will be for a long time.  Be thankful Mike is good enough to win some, get into NCAAT's, the state is producing talent and sending most of it his way and he won't embarrass us off the court. 

Most of that is exactly what some of said was the problem when people were wanting Mike hired. He was pretty much unfireable unless there was some sort of scandal.

People look at Mike and still get warm fuzzies from 1994. I'll guarantee when some people look at Mike, they see Nolan's face.

Here is the thing, if they were losing, but playing like Mike said they would ( fast pick em up off the damn bus defense ) that would be one thing, but his teams really look no different than Pelphrey's, and honestly no different than Heath's.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 09:03:50 am
We've seen this act before in a SEC that has not been nearly as good as it is this year. We have seen this act before where Mike does just enough, and dangles the next recruiting class carrot to keep his job.

When Mike has pulled his job out of the fire before, he had the best player on the floor many nights, in BP/Qualls and last year in Barford/Macon and Kingsley. Plus he had a really good scorer in Hannahs last year to take some of the heat off of Barford and Macon. This year, not sure how many SEC games the Hogs will play where they have the best player on the floor.

If not for the fact that TN actually fouls more than the Hogs, an incredible feat, the Hogs would be 0-4 in the sec.

Well I don't think he has ever been in the fire and the dangling was done by his fan boys and "media" members who felt they needed to keep selling. 

True on Portis/Qualls.  That was a bad SEC.  It is a reason why the national media never gave the team much respect in spite of the win total.  Won most games where we had the superior talent.  Lost in big fashion in those where we didn't. 

True also on Hannahs and the offense he provided.  And had leadership with Manny. 

Tenn makes that last FT they still would have survived.  Just didn't quite have enough in the tank to make it to the finish.

You look at the difference in schedule TY to LY and I get where you are coming from.

LY after the 1-3 start we played 4 teams who were bad to mediocre building false hope before the Ok St reality slap.

Then after the Mizzou and Vandy debacles, we again got an awful team in LSU whose crappiness allowed us to escape and get momentum.  After that, only 3 games out 9 where we were underdogs and we went 1-2 in them.  Still good enough to get into the NCAAT easily. 

The schedule this season has one potential window perhaps to get rolling a little:  SC and Vandy at home and then at Ole Miss.  Three must wins pretty much now. 

Should win 2 out of the next 4.  If we could get 3 out of 4, then there is still enough winnable games to solidly make the NCAAT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

If we miss the NCAA Tournament in Mike's 7th year with 6 seniors...then yes he needs to go.

hobhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 09:30:56 am
If we miss the NCAA Tournament in Mike's 7th year with 6 seniors...then yes he needs to go.

Even if we go back to having 6000 fans at the games? Vandy attendance will be ugly. Count on it.

We need to be refreshed top to bottom.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Arkansas entered conference play with a great record against a strong schedule, a ridiculously good RPI, and tons of momentum. 

In SEC play, all they have to do to be a LOCK for the NCAAT is not totally crap the bed. 

It looks like Anderson is trying to do just that.

If this trend continues, then yes.  Fire.

orvillesghost

Right now, I vote no.

If we don't win the SEC regular season championship OR make the round of 16 in the NCAA.

Yes..absolutely yes.

mountainhog

( fast pick em up off the damn bus defense )

Me thinks they need to pick em up on the damn court,  Not when they get off the damn bus.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: mountainhog on January 11, 2018, 09:57:58 am
( fast pick em up off the damn bus defense )

Me thinks they need to pick em up on the damn court,  Not when they get off the damn bus.

Probably the most concerning part of Anderson's time here.

I thought--we all thought, I figure--his specialty was defense.  I remember his Mizzou teams being scrappy and swarming; they drove other teams crazy.

But here, his defenses have largely been pedestrian to poor. 

When you're not good at what you hang your hat on, that's concerning.

Especially when you seem incapable of finding a plan B or C. 

1highhog

I've been saying fire CMA since season 4, in Basketball a coach doesn't need anymore than 4 seasons to completely turn around a season and Mike keeps getting free passes.  Why?  What has he done here?  We have not won a single thing yet!  We are Arkansas, while many of you youngin's may not remember, but at one time Arkansas was a top 5 program in Basketball and deservedly so.  But Mike Anderson is not the coach that's going to get is anywhere close to being a top 25 program in Basketball and for that he needs to be let go.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 11, 2018, 10:11:14 am
Probably the most concerning part of Anderson's time here.

I thought--we all thought, I figure--his specialty was defense.  I remember his Mizzou teams being scrappy and swarming; they drove other teams crazy.

But here, his defenses have largely been pedestrian to poor. 

When you're not good at what you hang your hat on, that's concerning.

Especially when you seem incapable of finding a plan B or C.

He hasn't been able to replicate the rosters here he had at Mizzou.  We can't really compare to UAB.  At UAB, he could play athletic tweeners along with his quick guards in a lesser conference.  And at UAB, academic restrictions on recruiting wasn't the same.  He was perfect for a program like UAB.  Demarrio Eddins, then he could have gotten a player like Qualls and then kept CJ Jones home and combined them with quick guards he got out of Jucos.   

The timing for his career and when he became our coach didn't quite work out.  Those Mizzou teams like the 08-09 team would have been Hogs due to the connections had he been our coach and then who knows where that would have led.  After that, Portis bridged him to Macon and Barford to Gafford.  The hope now is it will get him to a group of in state talent where he finally has a team like 08-09 Mizzou.  Would have to rehash the recruiting history here and not being able to turn over the early rosters but it just hasn't worked here in building the same types of teams.

oldman1015

Not during the season.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 10:50:36 am
He hasn't been able to replicate the rosters here he had at Mizzou.  We can't really compare to UAB.  At UAB, he could play athletic tweeners along with his quick guards in a lesser conference.  And at UAB, academic restrictions on recruiting wasn't the same.  He was perfect for a program like UAB.  Demarrio Eddins, then he could have gotten a player like Qualls and then kept CJ Jones home and combined them with quick guards he got out of Jucos.   

The timing for his career and when he became our coach didn't quite work out.  Those Mizzou teams like the 08-09 team would have been Hogs due to the connections had he been our coach and then who knows where that would have led.  After that, Portis bridged him to Macon and Barford to Gafford.  The hope now is it will get him to a group of in state talent where he finally has a team like 08-09 Mizzou.  Would have to rehash the recruiting history here and not being able to turn over the early rosters but it just hasn't worked here in building the same types of teams.

Not saying any of that is not true.

But not a bit of that forgives that dismantling--and total lack of defense--last night.  None of that forgives being mentally weak and essentially not showing up till halftime for an entire month of basketball.

It's one thing to say, "You know what, this isn't an elite 8-caliber roster." 

Fine.

But you can still show up and play fundamentally sound basketball.  And for the love of all that is good, if you don't have the personnel to do something effectively, then do something else.

dianne fineswine

Okay, if we all want to return to being crackers and rednecks.
Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

hogsanity

Quote from: dianne fineswine on January 11, 2018, 11:41:23 am

Oh look here. A 13 year old acct with 100 posts and it shows up making a racial claim as to why we cant get rid of Mike. So, who of the the Mike Anderson PR team are you a 2nd or 3rd acct of?

elksnort

Quote from: dianne fineswine on January 11, 2018, 11:41:23 am
I am not necessarily offended but what you typed even though it's rather dumb. But what does bother me some is in today's world, one would get roasted for saying the opposite of what you said.