Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The foundation is set...now let's see if these new coaches

Started by The OTR, January 10, 2018, 07:01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2018, 11:59:24 am
As for Morris, he inherits almost 30 4*s , very few academic problems, a full (but underdeveloped) roster, and the VERY best facility situation of any Hog coach ever. I expect

Good point.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2018, 11:59:24 am
well he isnt wrong that it had a BUNCH of nfl players. And you arent wrong that the depth wasnt there.

And Im not wrong to say Petrino had the guys he needed to win , b/c he only needs a few stars to win, when he was fired. The Clown took over a top 10 team.  But a guy like Bert needs every position strong to have a chance to win. In the end, Petrino was a POS program builder but a fabulous game day coach. And Bert is a decent program builder but a terrible developer and a total darn storm on Gameday.

So, to settle the score, I'd say Smiley inherited the second best roster for a new coach in modern Hog history (#1 goes to Nutt's first season) , but Smiley pretty much left Bert with a few pros and a ton of problems.

As for Morris, he inherits almost 30 4*s , very few academic problems, a full (but underdeveloped) roster, and the VERY best facility situation of any Hog coach ever. I expect
Morris will come out of the gate winning at LEAST 8 games.

WPS

I thought about HDN also when I made the comment and Danny ford did a good job of recruiting but in terms of draft picks and NFL players (free agents), CBB had the most talented team.  CBP, for reference, only inherited 4 draft picks during his tenure from HDN, the least talented team for a new coach.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 12:21:30 pm
I thought about HDN also when I made the comment and Danny ford did a good job of recruiting but in terms of draft picks and NFL players (free agents), CBB had the most talented team.  CBP, for reference, only inherited 4 draft picks during his tenure from HDN, the least talented team for a new coach.
cant argue with that. When McFadden and Jones declared that sealed the deal on that. Amazingly we almost went bowling with that team.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2018, 12:26:48 pm
cant argue with that. When McFadden and Jones declared that sealed the deal on that. Amazingly we almost went bowling with that team.

We go bowling if not for a DeAnthony Curtis fumble.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

code red

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 10, 2018, 07:33:57 pm
We're way worse off now than when petrino left
Agreed.  We just thought Bobby was a terrible recruiter.  CBB was equally as bad if not worse.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LRrazorback

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2018, 12:34:41 pm
Agreed.  We just thought Bobby was a terrible recruiter.  CBB was equally as bad if not worse.

Facts are facts.

The point my friend Razorbackers brings up is retention under CBP but doesn't mention evaluation and development. CBB falls way short on evaluation and development but does well with retention.  Which explains why there's a full roster of decent but undeveloped, overweight talent.

code red

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 12:47:21 pm
Facts are facts.

The point my friend Razorbackers brings up is retention under CBP but doesn't mention evaluation and development. CBB falls way short on evaluation and development but does well with retention.  Which explains why there's a full roster of decent but undeveloped, overweight talent.
No doubt.  In addition.  I would contend that several busts as well under CBB....I don't see how the talent we have now will transfer to wins.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2018, 12:50:05 pm
No doubt.  In addition.  I would contend that several busts as well under CBB....I don't see how the talent we have now will transfer to wins.

Different offensive philosophy will use your speed in CCM's offense much better and many more times than CBB's ever did.  So, the playmakers have the ball in their hands for the majority of the game.  This will result in bigger plays, more explosive offense and easier gaps to run in.

Razorbackers

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 11:46:23 am
Ha CBB inherited the most talented team, as a new coach. Play dumb when you're losing an argument

I don't play.

LRrazorback

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2018, 12:50:05 pm

Let's hope a different staff with different training philosophies and improved development translates to changes on the field. As with most coaches at AR, I think it will be year three before we know if he's the right fit. Most good coaches at major universities can win 10 by their second year, I give an extra year for coaches at AR because of the built in recruiting challenges

Razorbackers