Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love the buddies/ignore list...

Started by Heardo, January 14, 2018, 10:24:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Heardo

If you are tired of seeing certain posters do nothing but complain, don't forget about the buddies/ignore list you can create.  It has made Hogville so much more enjoyable for me.  Just click profile above (between search and my messages) and then look to the left.  Click buddies/ignore list and then go to the ignore part.  Enter the person you want to ignore and enjoy!

LZH

You have more smites than posts, looks like you're on a few 'blocked' lists yourself. Heehee.

247Hog

I expected Randy Beaver to start this thread first.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ricepig

Quote from: 247Hog on January 14, 2018, 10:30:02 am
I expected Randy Beaver to start this thread first.

How do you know he isn't Randy Beaver?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2018, 10:31:06 am

Some folks jump around so fast it messes you up....

woo.pig

Only read and surround your self with people who believe and think like you. That's the problem we have in America today. We should welcome anybody with differing views or opinions, politically or sports related. I'm not always right and sometimes my opinions suck...

BirmingHam

Quote from: woo.pig on January 14, 2018, 11:10:30 am
Only read and surround your self with people who believe and think like you. That's the problem we have in America today. We should welcome anybody with differing views or opinions, politically or sports related. I'm not always right and sometimes my opinions suck...

You're right, the farther I read, the more I agreed with your post.....

oldhawg

It's not the difference in opinions that is annoying so much, it's the lack of opinions but an eagerness to contentiously disagree with someone else without presenting a different point of view that is bothersome (IMO).

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Heardo on January 14, 2018, 10:24:56 am
If you are tired of seeing certain posters do nothing but complain, don't forget about the buddies/ignore list you can create.  It has made Hogville so much more enjoyable for me.  Just click profile above (between search and my messages) and then look to the left.  Click buddies/ignore list and then go to the ignore part.  Enter the person you want to ignore and enjoy!

Could not see your post as you are on the site's ignore list ...

IronHog

Are you so weak minded you need the ignore list?

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TheJoeyBucketz

If I used that I would've missed too many classic MrCoolhog posts.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 01:24:52 pm

to be fair, ignoring folks is better than whining every time they post.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: LZH on January 14, 2018, 10:26:59 am
You have more smites than posts, looks like you're on a few 'blocked' lists yourself. Heehee.

yes, his karma is a disaster

PorkSoda

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on January 14, 2018, 02:12:30 pm
yes, his karma is a disaster
says the guy with a 4:1 smite to post ratio.

you gotta be a man on a mission to pull that off.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

We don't ask them to think like us..................we only ask them to actually THINK.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2018, 02:16:09 pm
says the guy with a 4:1 smite to post ratio.

you gotta be a man on a mission to pull that off.

You're not good at math.  Point still taken, though.

EDIT: you don't suck at math.  I suck at reading!
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Inhogswetrust

January 14, 2018, 02:23:05 pm #16 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:07:23 pm by Inhogswetrust

For trolls like you the ignore list is a necessity...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

No point in discussing anything with people who don't share your own viewpoint. Best to have deep and wide ranging discussions with people who will verify your own biases.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Bubba's Bruisers

Never used the ignore button.  Defeats the whole purpose of reading the board.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

SugarHillGaHog

Why aren't there any posts in this thread?  Am I alone here?

/kidding

PorkSoda

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 14, 2018, 02:24:27 pm
No point in discussing anything with people who don't share your own viewpoint. Best to have deep and wide ranging discussions with people who will verify your own biases.
I don't think that is the point.

different view points are fine, in fact, they are necessary to a productive discussion.  however, if there are posters who do nothing but try to get people stirred up, and that annoys you to the point that it distracts you from the discussion, then ignoring them is probably your best option.  as opposed to telling said poster off and further derailing the discussion.

Its the polite thing to do, IMO.

FANONTHEHILL

Here's my approach and it works great for me.  Approach HOGVILLE like going out to dinner with some friends.  You're at the table, having s good conversation.  Everyone is acting like an adult.  Then someone sits at the table next to you.  They may be loud, they may be drunk, they may let their kids run around the table and disturb everyone. 

So why do you do?  You can either ignore them.  Play along with them.  Act as obnoxious as they are and act like a fool yourself.  It doesn't matter.  Eventually you'll be back at a table, having a nice conversation with some people whose opinions actually mean something to you.  The rest is just laughing at the way people act.  Don't take it too seriously.

I'm a fan. I've got a son in the team.  I'm as emotionally invested in Razorback football as someone can be.  But truthfully, in the big scheme of things, we're all just a bunch of people sitting around tables talking and none of this really matters.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 03:02:56 pm
Here's my approach and it works great for me.  Approach HOGVILLE like going out to dinner with some friends.  You're at the table, having s good conversation.  Everyone is acting like an adult.  Then someone sits at the table next to you.  They may be loud, they may be drunk, they may let their kids run around the table and disturb everyone. 

So why do you do?  You can either ignore them.  Play along with them.  Act as obnoxious as they are and act like a fool yourself.  It doesn't matter.  Eventually you'll be back at a table, having a nice conversation with some people whose opinions actually mean something to you.  The rest is just laughing at the way people act.  Don't take it too seriously.

I'm a fan. I've got a son in the team.  I'm as emotionally invested in Razorback football as someone can be.  But truthfully, in the big scheme of things, we're all just a bunch of people sitting around tables talking and none of this really matters.

Yep, they're all fans.  Just express it differently.  I like the trolls.  Keeps us on our toes.

LZH

Hogsfan1981

Just save your negative comments for twitter.

People say "don't post negative things about players/coaches/etc they might visit the board."

The thing is though..if people can't post that stuff on message boards they will go on twitter and post it straight to the coach or player.

Can't silence people in this day and age.

goodguytex

If there's a poster constantly following you around from thread to thread, trying to stir up an argument no matter what you post, constantly trying to get you in an argument to derail a thread, I think that's where the ignore feature is needed. Only 1 person exactly like that I put on ignore. And he's made 2 other screen names since he got banned, claiming stuff about himself that has been proven false. People like that just aren't worth the time to talk to.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 14, 2018, 02:26:02 pm
Never used the ignore button.  Defeats the whole purpose of reading the board.
I agree with this, it gives you perspective.  Also on the karma thing, 99% of the time I'm on HV with my phone.  I am not aware if you can smite or applaude from the mobile platform but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

sowmonella

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on January 14, 2018, 02:32:29 pm

/kidding

LOL well done.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Jimbob111

Glad to hear it, now you're on it. Moron. If you don't want to hear different opinions, stay off the interwebs...
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LRRandy

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 14, 2018, 03:34:25 pm
I agree with this, it gives you perspective.  Also on the karma thing, 99% of the time I'm on HV with my phone.  I am not aware if you can smite or applaude from the mobile platform but sometimes ignorance is bliss.
go to the bottom of the app and switch to desktop view if you want to see everything while on your phone.
This is fun, isn't it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: LRRandy on January 14, 2018, 03:57:29 pm
go to the bottom of the app and switch to desktop view if you want to see everything while on your phone.
Ya I dont like to do that because it re-affirms the point that I need bifocals.  I don't want to surrender to those yet as it will prove my wife correct, haha.

007 License To Squeal

I give you a +1 for that one......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2018, 02:23:05 pm
For trolls like you there ignore list is a necessity...................

95% of my posts are directly football related

If anything on a message board hurts your feelings you need to grow a pair or get outside more......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 04:40:03 pm

95% of my posts are directly football related

If anything on a message board hurts your feelings you need to grow a pair or get outside more......

Except most of that is perceived as critical of the program.  By most everyone's standards around here, that makes you an obvious troll.  I disagree with that, but we're an overly sensitive lot.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 14, 2018, 04:43:06 pm
Except most of that is perceived as critical of the program.  By most everyone's standards around here, that makes you an obvious troll.  I disagree with that, but we're an overly sensitive lot.
being critical does not make one a troll.  trolls are by nature not genuine in their beliefs and only post what they think will get a reaction.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2018, 10:31:06 am
Randy Beaver has always been smitten by me.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2018, 05:13:03 pm
being critical does not make one a troll.  trolls are by nature not genuine in their beliefs and only post what they think will get a reaction.

Agree, but you're one of the brighter posters.  Many don't get this. 

So you think Iron is a troll?

Seebs

Why is this thread nothing but blank posts?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Seebs on January 14, 2018, 07:11:14 pm

I don't know, ask this guy...

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on January 14, 2018, 02:32:29 pm

/kidding

goodguytex

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 14, 2018, 07:08:25 pm
I don't.

The Program deserves a level of criticism as well does our recent hire.
Zeke, you should start a thread about your take on this. I'm actually interested to read your take for once. Could be nuked quickly though. Just warning you.

Boardon Hamsay

This explains why I only see my own posts. Prolly for the best...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SPAL

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 14, 2018, 08:23:25 pm
Oh, it's not worth all that.  I just think we went very mid-level, safe, average 7.5 wins in four years and act like we did something.

At the million-to-one absolute best case I believe we got the college version of Andy Reid.  Respectability is likely, don't even dream of winning the BIG game.  Why, using him as a model?  Reid plays for 10-6 seasons, consistently.  As a decided underdog, I believe you "load up" and play for the 13-3 season knowing you'll have some 4-12 campaigns. Because, overall, your aggregate odds of a division title are better even if, sometimes, you're not even close.

I think you plan six years out, look at the schedule, and say "this" is the target.  Then you go for it.

Now?  Now we've just reset the clock.  Further, I don't believe we'll get best case results.

Good. 8 wins will be better than our average since we joined the SEC. I'll be excited if we average 8 wins under Morris. As will most.

k.c.hawg

Next Hogville construction project should change it to Buddies/Safe Zone.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 14, 2018, 07:44:34 pm
This explains why I only see my own posts. Prolly for the best...
I repeat.  I am not your buddy.  Please take me off your buddies list.   >:(
Quote from: Seebs on January 14, 2018, 07:11:14 pm
Ha ha! You funny!  Please keep me on your buddies list.  I am on your buddies list, aren't I ???

hobhog

Science Fiction Greg

FYI - The most obvious reason to block someone is not because they disagree with you.  I'm blown away that people think that is why someone would block someone else.  It's most commonly because the other person is an a-hole or sometimes they are spamming nonsense all over the place and making the board less readable.  I can't even imagine that some of you really think there are people out there blocking someone just because they have a different opinion.  You like brussel sprouts?   BLOCKED!
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

SRV

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 03:02:56 pm

Ahhh....the wisdom approach. I like it.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....