• 390,416 Topics
• 22,087 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gus Malzahn statement about the SEC Network  (Read 4701 times)

HardCore

• Senior
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
Re: Gus Malzahn statement about the SEC Network
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 11:42:50 am »

Poor Gus knows he is going right back on the hot seat. This way when he continues to lose 3-4 games a year he and his cheerleaders can blame the SEC Network for why he is getting fired. But hey at least he scammed the Aubies out of tons of cash.

Sounds like he is feeling the heat after UCF handed him his A$$.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 11:44:48 am »

Nutt-like crying.  He should have bailed from AU and headed out to the Pac 12 where its a little less intense.  But he wanted the $.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:22 am »

Poor Gus knows he is going right back on the hot seat. This way when he continues to lose 3-4 games a year he and his cheerleaders can blame the SEC Network for why he is getting fired. But hey at least he scammed the Aubies out of tons of cash.

I just hope after this last fiasco with Gus, we don't have a short term memory when he gets fired and looking for sympathy.

Hogindasticks

• Senior
  • Can't wait to get Cookin!
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 12:14:09 pm »

I thought this was pretty funny given all that has transpired.

It's the off season and I'll move this to the SEC board later, but I thought some of you would find this comment interesting considering how Malzahn and Sexton used Arkansas leverage to get Gus a big raise and Sexton a big commission. I can't even believe that Malzahn said this and what is to be gained by doing so? You got your raise Gus, just pipe down.

Zach Barnett‏ @zach_barnett

Gus Malzahn: "This SEC Network was supposed to be really cool when it started three or four years ago. Now it's all about trying to get the coach fired."
8:30 AM - 9 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/950766703062994944

I  think he is mistaken....its all about Auburn...lol

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17:10 pm »

The SEC Network is all about Alabama football and Kentucky basketball.  It could be an entertaining and interesting channel if it gave equal time to each school.

They should also ask each school to produce documentaries about student life on the respective campuses within the respective communities.  I might watch some of that...

Alabama and Kentucky dominate their respective sports and draw more eyeballs consistently.

It is what it is. If you want heavy Arkansas coverage, go to Bo Mattingly or hogville.

If the SECN had been around in the 1990s it would’ve given us tons of hoops coverage.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • Microwave World, My @ss! Nothin' cooks for 5 years
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:11 pm »

I just hope after this last fiasco with Gus, we don't have a short term memory when he gets fired and looking for sympathy.

This. That big contract bought him another 3-4 years minimum. If he only exceeds 8 wins once in that time, he will get fired. It will be expensive for the Barners, but Yella Fella or one of their big boosters will pony up the money.

I do believe if he had not beaten UGA and 'Bama which would have given him 4 regular season losses, 3 in the SEC, he would have been fired. Either that or his seat would be hot enough that he would have come here just ahead of the posse.

I don't necessarily consider it to be "dodging a bullet" as he would be way better than what we had in Bert, but the Nutt-like drama would have been bad after a year or two. He would have been next to impossible to get rid of like Nutt was with his built-in cult-like support, so hopefully we did dodge those issues.

That whole send Kristi looking for houses in NWA and all those theatrics to wheedle more security and money from Auburn left a bad taste in a lot of mouths here, including mine. How many million$ does one couple need when they eat at Waffle House?

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Caught this one on a catalpa worm, boys
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:25 pm »

Win / Lose or get fired Gus is got it made.

Wisdom.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 12:53:04 pm »

So is ESPN in general.

Just a bunch of liberal garbage.
lulz, sports are liberal now?  I didn't realize pelosi was competing the the SEC.  I wonder what trumps 40 is.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:05 pm »

It isn't "All" about getting the coach fired, but he isn't completely wrong.  Glad he's still at Auburn though.
Man we are very lucky!! We almost got Gussed..instead Auburn got Gussied.

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 12:59:25 pm »

lulz, sports are liberal now?  I didn't realize pelosi was competing the the SEC.  I wonder what trumps 40 is.

If you watch ESPN at all you absolutely know they are liberals. I was reading last night that they are pissed and attacking the Astros for accepting the invite to the White House. Meanwhile I just made a couple thousand dollars for the stock I own and my accountant tells me I will save a butt load of money on taxes this year...And I LOVE AMERICA!!!!

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:50 pm »

Great thing is Auburn is stuck to Gussy. Another great thing is he burned most of his supporters in high places and will not ever be the coach here.

redeye

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs Go!!!
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »

The SEC Network is all about Alabama football and Kentucky basketball.  It could be an entertaining and interesting channel if it gave equal time to each school.

I actually find it better than expected.  That actually describes ESPN pretty well.  They employ several Alabama alumni and I expected the SECN to be worse.  But I think they do a decent job at covering all schools, tbh.  I don't watch the SECN much, but I never watch ESPN, unless it's a live game.

They should also ask each school to produce documentaries about student life on the respective campuses within the respective communities.  I might watch some of that...

That's a neat idea.  Might be better than the show on coaching wives... lol

Is he claiming the SEC Network is trying to get him fired?

If not, who is he talking about?

He realizes the expectations for him now and so he's trying to get out in front of future calls for his head.  In Auburn's mind, Malzahn has had 2 good seasons out of 5 so far and he knows that won't be good enough going forward.

Cotton

• Senior
  • Effin A, Cotton!
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 01:05:16 pm »

Malzahn also made a comment that he wanted to coach Texas HS football and that it was harder to get a job there than Auburn.

LOL Trolling Aubbie hard today

Razor1997

• Senior
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 01:14:47 pm »

If the SECN had been around in the 1990s it would’ve given us tons of hoops coverage.

Instead, all we had back then was Jefferson Pilot. :(

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »

If you watch ESPN at all you absolutely know they are liberals. I was reading last night that they are pissed and attacking the Astros for accepting the invite to the White House. Meanwhile I just made a couple thousand dollars for the stock I own and my accountant tells me I will save a butt load of money on taxes this year...And I LOVE AMERICA!!!!
maybe I just don't view everything I encounter through a political lens.

I want ESPN for Hog football and basketball or whatever random game happens to be on.  I don't spend much time watching their commentary for clues to their political lean.

Kind of like when I go to the grocery store, I don't chat up the guy stocking the shelf to figure out if he is a liberal or a conservative so I know whether I want to shop there or not.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 01:21:00 pm »

It’s weird how much more like Houston Nutt he becomes as the years pass.
Bingo.

26.2Hog

• Senior
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:03 pm »

Instead, all we had back then was Jefferson Pilot. :(

Don't forget Raycom, which I think preceded JP.

Wild Bill Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 01:26:13 pm »

Gus sounds butt hurt, probably a fake injury.

LOL  +1

Wild Bill Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »

That kind of stank doesn't wash off.

Especially if you came in with it yourself.

TNarch

• Bench Warmer
  • Hog Crazy After All These Years
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 02:29:10 pm »

What bias would that be, talking more about the teams that are winning titles and playing for titles than about teams going 4-8?
It would be the bias of cheering for one team over the other during the broadcast of the game.  There was a time when the broadcasters were required to be neutral.  I guess that went out he door with fair and unbiased refs...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:23 pm »

It would be the bias of cheering for one team over the other during the broadcast of the game.  There was a time when the broadcasters were required to be neutral.  I guess that went out he door with fair and unbiased refs...

I watch lots of games on the secn and I have never heard a announcer cheering for one team over another.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 02:39:18 pm »

There is no bias one team over another.  There is bias towards winning programs vs losing programs.  Winning drives the needle and ratings.  They don't want to spend too much time at Arkansas if we are going 4-8 with comeback wins over Coastal Carolina.

Gus needs to grow a GD pair.  When you make what they make you are going to get criticized if you aren't getting the job done.  If you are a mature a$$ adult secure in yourself and by Gawd if you are making $7 large per year you should be, you let it roll off your back, or maybe you listen and see if there's any truth to what's being said. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:20 pm »

Sounds like he is feeling the heat after UCF handed him his A$$.

For a HC who just got handed a gold-lined security blanket, that is a lot of whining. And spoken in a case of extremely poor judgment in my opinion. You just had the Brinks truck back up to your house and unload the contents and you are still whining because folks thought you took your employer for a ride? Wasn't that the intent all along? You won, they lost. Don't be a whining, moaning, bad winner just because everyone recognizes what you and Sexton accomplished at the expense of Auburn. If anyone should be complaining, it should be Auburn fans. The time will come that they want to get rid of Malzahn but it is going to be expensive to do so. Again, you won, they lost. Stop the whining and by the way, don't ever move back to Arkansas.

Hawghiggs

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:04 pm »

The SEC network is the reason why I have grown to hate Arkansas being in the SEC. A constant Alabama commercial with a sprinkle of old guard SEC. Anyone else is nothing but crickets.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:28 pm »

The SEC network is the reason why I have grown to hate Arkansas being in the SEC. A constant Alabama commercial with a sprinkle of old guard SEC. Anyone else is nothing but crickets.

Kinda missing the point of the OP, but o.k. I like it for Finebaum, who though an Alabama and Tennessee "Homer" is nonetheless entertaining and of course, you get to have a good laugh at the Alabama and Auburn fans who call in (that alone is priceless entertainment). But I get to watch a lot of games I might otherwise miss, so the channel has value whether or not it focuses on Arkansas. The thing is, when Arkansas deserves it and earns it, we get air time. When we don't, don't expect that we are going to get air time over other programs that are making bigger waves. 

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »

thats sure to drum up some sympathy for ole gus

jvanhorn

• Senior
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:26 pm »

Well, that is bad.  I don't even watch the MLB network.  If you aren't on the east or west coast you barely are even mentioned.  Just a bunch of talking heads anyway.  Well you can talk all you want but, in the end, you have to got out and play the game, which is why I can never figure out who is brain dead enough to watch hours and hours of pre super bowl crap.  If you think the SEC network is bad check out the Longhorn network.  Watca think that one is all about, lol.  The only time any other team in the Big 12 gets mentioned is when they play Texas--which is what happens when you are in a league with God's anointed.

jvanhorn

• Senior
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 11:06:58 pm »

maybe I just don't view everything I encounter through a political lens.

I want ESPN for Hog football and basketball or whatever random game happens to be on.  I don't spend much time watching their commentary for clues to their political lean.

Kind of like when I go to the grocery store, I don't chat up the guy stocking the shelf to figure out if he is a liberal or a conservative so I know whether I want to shop there or not.

I hope you know you just wasted a few minutes of your life you will never get back, lol.  He is all about the money.   He sees things in black and white.   He isn't interested in doing any in depth thinking, lol.

ReverendRazorback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 11:10:48 pm »

Their target audience for non game programming is people who will sit around and watch Finebaum, or the 5 hr loop of SEC now.

That's true. I think as a broadcaster it would be a step down to only have a show that focuses on just one conference rather than the entire NCAA. I would love to see a Colin Cowherd or a Jim Rome caliber - high energy host with a show on the SECN though. Finebaum is just kind of mellow and un-opinionated to me.

pigbacon

• Senior
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:55 pm »

Auburn should have to give the TV money back for the next 7 years.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas