Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus Malzahn expresses displeasure with SEC Network

Started by jbcarol, January 10, 2018, 05:43:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Gus Malzahn is not a fan of the SEC Network

QuoteMalzahn expressed his displeasure with ESPN's conference-dedicated outlet after sharing his career path, including some self-deprecating anecdotes, and outlined 10 principles to his coaching philosophy during a roughly 30-minute speech at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Charlotte on Tuesday.

"This coaching stuff, especially in college, it's a lot of fun for me," Malzahn said at the end of his speech. "I mean it's really cool and all that, but the families, with everything that you go through with this SEC Network.

"You know, the SEC Network was supposed to be really cool three or four years ago. Now, it's all about they're trying to get the coach fired about every other day you turn it on. Your family's the one that pays the price for that. I'm isolated; all I've got is kind of what's in the with the team and all that. It's a real challenge and I'm blessed to have the family I have."

Ironically, the SEC Network is based in Charlotte.

Malzahn, who recently agreed to terms on a new seven-year, $49 million contract at Auburn, appeared on several of ESPN's pregame shows before Monday night's College Football Playoff National Championship in Atlanta.

He opened by recapping his career path from being a high school coach at Hughes High School in rural eastern Arkansas, to Shiloh Christian and Springdale High Schools near Fayetteville. Along that journey Malzahn worked with quarterbacks Josh Floyd, who later coached at Shiloh Christian and is now the head coach at Hewitt-Trussville High School, Rhett Lashlee, who was his offensive coordinator at Arkansas State and Auburn before leaving for UConn last year and was recently hired at SMU, and then Mitch Mustain.

"Mitch is probably the most complete quarterback that I've probably ever coached," Malzahn said of the 2005 national Player of the Year. "I mean he could do everything. He won every national award, really got things going."

In reviewing how he then became the offensive coordinator at Arkansas in 2006, Malzahn said his plan was to leave Springdale when the district split and either leave the state, specifically to coach in Texas, or move to the college game.

"That was really my dream, to go to Texas and coach high school," Malzahn said. "I tell people, it's harder to get a good job in Texas than it is a college job. In 2003 I applied for Plano East, it was open and I sent my resume in and I told them I wrote a book and all this stuff, I didn't even get an interview. So I tell people it's harder to get a high school coach than it is to Auburn coaching job."

Malzahn spoke briefly of his one-year tenure with the Razorbacks before moving on to Auburn, where Cam Newton was "one of the best, if not the best college player to ever play" and said winning the 2010 BCS National Championship felt "the exact same way as winning a high school state championship" did...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rhog1

Looks like it's right back to the hot seat for Gus and he knows it. Least he was smart enough to scam the Aubies out of a ton of cash when they fire him.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I'm sure they'd love to have him at Plano East in a couple years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rhog1 on January 10, 2018, 10:25:33 am
Looks like it's right back to the hot seat for Gus and he knows it. Least he was smart enough to scam the Aubies out of a ton of cash when they fire him.
Yeah, interesting and amusingly karma given his using our offer to grab himself a big raise. So.... the idiots down in Awbarn were cackling with glee that they were able to keep Gussie from our grasp by paying him $7 million and thereby only making us look like the clueless "hicks" we (supposedly) are. Well there's an old truism that notes that "he who laughs last laughs the loudest". Obviously we don't know how GM will do going forward. However, what we HAVE seen periodically  is the hair trigger that many of their supporters have when it comes to the results against 'Bama. Since the new contract was working its way through negotiations the tiggers are 0-2: they lost to UGA in the SECCG and then blew it in the bowl against UCF. It's my understanding that more than a few War Eagle fans are irritated and nervous at this big new GUARANTEED contract that was negotiated for Gus. Hmmm......would be richly ironic if down the road their faithful's glee at "keeping him from going home" turns out to bite them in the rear. Just let him start losing a couple/three games a year, most especially one of those being against the Tide, and we'll see who indeed ends up being the real loser. One thing we do know: it WON'T be Gus.

3kgthog

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Gus Malzahn wants 8-team playoff, believes only AU could beat Alabama, clarifies SEC Network comment

QuoteDuring his roughly 30-minute speech at the annual convention, Malzahn expressed his displeasure with the [SEC N]etwork, which he said is now all about "trying to get the coach fired about every other day."

Malzahn backpedaled those comments when asked about them Wednesday, saying they were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

"Really, I was having fun with that comment," Malzahn said. "I'm a big fan of the SEC Network. Now, did they say I was going to get fired? They probably did, but I was really having more fun with that."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
11h11 hours ago

Someone attempted to steal an Auburn defensive staffer's laptop before the Peach Bowl https://trib.al/LPHaUAP

QuoteLike Alabama, an Auburn defensive staff member was nearly the victim of theft at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis before the Peach Bowl.

An unidentified person attempted to take a laptop belonging to an Auburn defensive staff member from a private meeting room at the downtown hotel, a source with knowledge of the matter confirmed. Security stopped the unknown male from stealing, but he got away before being detained, the source said of the incident, which was first reported by AuburnUndercover.com.

Auburn lost the Peach Bowl against UCF, 34-27, on Jan. 1.

A spokesman for the Peach Bowl did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A backpack belonging to Alabama defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, which contained a playbook and personnel belongings, was stolen from a meeting room at the hotel on Saturday, according to an incident report obtained by AL.com.

The bag also contained Dunbar's wallet, $1,320 in cash, two cellphones, a passport, an iPad, sunglasses and reading glasses. Some of those items were later found inside of a hotel bathroom.