Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saban vs Bielema

Started by Piggfoot, January 09, 2018, 09:38:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Can't remember who said it on the radio.
Saban recruits talent and develops character.
Not quite Bielema's approach.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 09, 2018, 09:38:39 pm
Can't remember who said it on the radio.
Not quite Bielema's approach.

Bert recruits character, I'll give him that, but he got an "F" for developing players talent.. If that guy coached Usain Bolt, Bolt would finish third behind a pregnant woman in a footrace.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 09, 2018, 09:38:39 pm
Can’t remember who said it on the radio.
Not quite Bielema’s approach.

I heard it on DTS.  I don't know if he said if first, but TB pointed it out.  CBB does recruit character, and that's important.  Saban seems to have the most realistic approach though.  When these kids come in, they are underdeveloped in a lot of areas.  Character among them.  The point being made was "if you have to develop the player anyway, why not recruit the talent, and develop the character?"  You will miss some there, but character may be easier to develop than talent.  Talent is what will build a winning program.  CBB may be "putting the cart before the horse."  I would like to see him figure it out, and move on to be very successful at his next stop.  More importantly though, we need to figure it out.

Pork Twain

I can't believe he is still our coach
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RagingHawgOn

PharmacistHog

We need to fire bielema and that carpetbagging yankee.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

jkstock04

The narrative and idea that "it takes a special type of guy to get a scholarship offer from Bielema" was and is laughable. This is a football program...not the Vienna choir boys.

Even the idea of "student athletes" in general is pretty much a joke. Let's face it, if these kids weren't on scholarship to play football the majority of them wouldn't be in school in the first place. This is a multi-billion dollar sports industry, not an after school special.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Yeah, that's it. All those Bama guys would come to Arkansas if just recruited.

scorekeeper

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 10, 2018, 08:02:35 am
The narrative and idea that "it takes a special type of guy to get a scholarship offer from Bielema" was and is laughable. This is a football program...not the Vienna choir boys.

Even the idea of "student athletes" in general is pretty much a joke. Let's face it, if these kids weren't on scholarship to play football the majority of them wouldn't be in school in the first place. This is a multi-billion dollar sports industry, not an after school special.
Truth.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

go hogues

Let's face it, if these kids weren't on scholarship to play football the majority of them wouldn't be in school in the first place. 
Huh? I want to hear the explanation for this one.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Nick has a process that works  Brets did not work at Ark and he could not change enough to win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sooiebaby

Quote from: go hogues on January 10, 2018, 08:16:04 am

Well its pretty straight foward......

A pretty significant number of D1 football players come from under privileged socioeconomic backrounds. The kind of place where if you dont play football or you dont have fantastic grades and test scores....you wont be getting out. There's no opportunity financially for folks to come up with the money needed for a four year college otherwise. So, you play football. And you get damn good at it.
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

jkstock04

Not much to explain there...kind of explains itself. The majority of division 1 Power 5 full football scholarship kids go to school with football as the #1 priority. They want to make it to the NFL. That's what it's all about. It's not about that sociology degree.

And that's not even delving into socioeconomic issues/status and the $$$ of paying out of pocket these days to pay for a non scholarship funded education.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

k.c.hawg

Quote from: sooiebaby on January 10, 2018, 08:30:57 am
Well its pretty straight foward......

A pretty significant number of D1 football players come from under privileged socioeconomic backrounds. The kind of place where if you dont play football or you dont have fantastic grades and test scores....you wont be getting out. There's no opportunity financially for folks to come up with the money needed for a four year college otherwise. So, you play football. And you get damn good at it.

You need to get out some. Colleges all around this country are filled with students from under privilidged socieoeconomic backgrounds piecing together pel grants, student loans and part time jobs to go to school.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HogShat

I understood and somewhat appreciated his "Uncommon" approach. The flaw is, an Uncommon average talent guy is gonna be Uncommon whether he is at Arkansas or Coastal Carolina. Why not try and make a difference in a "Common" guys life that has superior talent but is rough around the edges? Win win situation. Win for him by developing his character and making him a better human being and win for the program because of higher overall talent.

hobhog

Do you have any idea how many football players there are on scholarship in America? I think 98% of them would have an issue with your view.

steveaustin69

Are you serious?

What if we dealt with truth.  Many of these Kids are very poor students.  Most manage to bite the bullet enough to find a way to gain eligibility to the chosen school.  Even that is often a huge effort that will never be repeated once the enrollment is complete.  Truth is that many of these Kids do not have any desire to go to school other than playing their sport. 

Now, say you make an effort to get enough money to go to college.  Usually, the parent(s) don't have the ambition or know how to assist in securing these grants, loans, etc..  Many of these Kids come from homes where work and/or school has never been important for generations.  Many of these Kids believe money comes in the mail monthly or through the quick fix of selling drugs, stealing cars, robbing stores, etc..  For just about any grant or loan, you have to have reasonable grades to qualify and they don't.

Many, NOT ALL, of these Kids need direction they will never get UNLESS they end up getting hooked up with a schollie to play football. 

We saw the truth about Saban's players.  Just like all others when they are on the bottom looking up.  #38 blew up on the field, and it appeared he was going to go after a coach before other players got him settled.  The head push move by another player was anger flashing up.  These Kids often live this in the home and its ingrained.  Really not their fault.  If Saban can get them into school, utilize their talents for his own good and teach them through association and intelligence how to act, how to behave, how to get ahead in life, then hes done a great job for that Kid.  Hell, if they get a diploma, thats a homerun.  Folks like Saban, while getting his needs satisfied, put more Kids on a better track to life than welfare, grants and so called student loans.  The reason is, the Sabans of the world are forced to stick around and live with their experiments for 4 or 5 years and thats actually long enough to make the changes stick.  Understand, I don't believe the Sabans of this world would take on these jobs unless it was lining their pockets, but training human specimens to become human beings is a by-product of the system.

SPAL

Saban develops character.....the kind of character that erupts and goes after coaches on the sideline. I guess he isn't fully developed yet.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 10, 2018, 10:03:19 am
Saban develops character.....the kind of character that erupts and goes after coaches on the sideline. I guess he isn't fully developed yet.
How bout the forearm to the QB's head!  Nothing to see here.

sooiebaby

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 10, 2018, 09:05:46 am
You need to get out some. Colleges all around this country are filled with students from under privilidged socieoeconomic backgrounds piecing together pel grants, student loans and part time jobs to go to school.

Yeeaaahhhh....bury that head in the sand a little deeper. I'm not saying thats false, but i promise you the majority of whats considered "at risk" inner city youth, or otherwise extremely poor folks elsewhere, are definitely not going to college unless they have athletic or academic scholarships. Go on....ask a college athlete from Podunk city, wherever USA who's parents (or parent) barely make enough money to provide basic necessities, if they'd have been going to college without that scholly. I bet you the answer is no. I know this, because i was one of them.
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

GoHogzzGo

Saban coaches his players to execute better and more consistently. Saban is also a better game planner than most, on both sides of the ball. That’s it, not that complicated. Recruits follow winners.

He just happens to be the best most detailed at this ever.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

jkstock04

Quote from: hobhog on January 10, 2018, 09:58:05 am

Do you have any idea how many football players there are on scholarship in America? I think 98% of them would have an issue with your view.
In FBS I'm going to guess 10-11k kids. They can have PC issue with it all they want. But especially if we are talking about power 5 football conferences...these kids are in it #1 for football. Main aspirations are to make it to the NFL and sign multimillion dollar contracts.

I know you touted the exact opposite during the Bielema/Long era because winning was secondary.."student athletes"..buddy buddy mentor/father figure for life after college..building it the right way..blah blah blah. That culture doesn't work if you want a winning football program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Flrazrback

There isn't any thing to compare in regards to Coaching. Saban is CLEARLY superior to BB in every way. I would give BB the nod on public speaking and press interviews, Saban is much too cocky.

What if we dealt with truth.  Many of these Kids are very poor students.  Most manage to bite the bullet enough to find a way to gain eligibility to the chosen school.  Even that is often a huge effort that will never be repeated once the enrollment is complete.  Truth is that many of these Kids do not have any desire to go to school other than playing their sport. 

Now, say you make an effort to get enough money to go to college.  Usually, the parent(s) don't have the ambition or know how to assist in securing these grants, loans, etc..  Many of these Kids come from homes where work and/or school has never been important for generations.  Many of these Kids believe money comes in the mail monthly or through the quick fix of selling drugs, stealing cars, robbing stores, etc..  For just about any grant or loan, you have to have reasonable grades to qualify and they don't.

Many, NOT ALL, of these Kids need direction they will never get UNLESS they end up getting hooked up with a schollie to play football or some other sport.

We saw the truth about Saban's players.  Just like all others when they are on the bottom looking up.  #38 blew up on the field, and it appeared he was going to go after a coach before other players got him settled.  The head push move by another player was anger flashing up.  These Kids often live this in the home and its ingrained.  Really not their fault.  If Saban can get them into school, utilize their talents for his own good and teach them through association and intelligence how to act, how to behave, how to get ahead in life, then hes done a great job for that Kid.  Hell, if they get a diploma, thats a homerun.  Folks like Saban, while getting his needs satisfied, put more Kids on a better track to life than welfare, grants and so called student loans.  The reason is, the Sabans of the world are forced to stick around and live with their experiments for 4 or 5 years and thats actually long enough to make the changes stick.  Understand, I don't believe the Sabans of this world would take on these jobs unless it was lining their pockets, but training human specimens to become human beings is a by-product of the system.

scorekeeper

Easy answer to this debate. Look at the number of underclassmen declaring for the draft. The main goal for most is making it to the pros. If the NFL had a minor league that paid a median salary of 50K per year most would probably go that route.

Maybe the original statement containing "wouldn't be in school in the first place" is a bit off as there are less expensive schools to attend without the strict admission guidelines. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

HogPharmer

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 10, 2018, 08:27:18 am
Nick has a process that works  Brets did not work at Ark and he could not change enough to win.

Damn carpetbagger just doesn't understand our way of life down here.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

rude1

One coach is a football junkie always looking for the edge. The other is a food junkie, only interested in lining his pockets so he can eat more.