Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the most...

Started by notavol, January 09, 2018, 04:50:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

notavol

proven, big name, splash hire we have had at Arkansas in the past 20 years? I am asking this relative to the position they were hired for. Name yours for Head Coach and Coordinator. Mine is easy 1) Petrino from the Falcons and John Chavis.
Excited to have Chief !
Some may point out his short comings at A&M and that's fine but man I am excited. Arkansas defense just instantly became respected. Our defense is about to get ALOT better. Maybe not the best in the SEC but much, much improved.
In CBP I trust !

hoglady

Those are certainly the biggest name hires.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

oldhawg

Quote from: notavol on January 09, 2018, 04:50:59 pm
proven, big name, splash hire we have had at Arkansas in the past 20 years? I am asking this relative to the position they were hired for. Name yours for Head Coach and Coordinator. Mine is easy 1) Petrino from the Falcons and John Chavis.
Excited to have Chief !
Some may point out his short comings at A&M and that's fine but man I am excited. Arkansas defense just instantly became respected. Our defense is about to get ALOT better. Maybe not the best in the SEC but much, much improved.

At the time Bielema had a good resume.  But as everyone should know by now, statistics don't alway tell the whole story. 

hawginbigd1

Excited to have Chief !
CBB was the biggest splash hire, Petrino was big because of the way it transpired. It was shock and awe when we hired CBB out of nowhere IMO. And as we know now 1 was definitely better for on field results!
Chavis is probably the biggest splash hire as an assistant in history, I know we have had some as good or better but they didn't have the skins on the wall when they were hired here that I can recall.

longtimeHogfan

proven, big name, splash hire we have had at Arkansas in the past 20 years?

Jonelle?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Pudgepork

It's a little outside the 20 yr range but Danny Ford was the biggest name.   He had a National Championship on his resume

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

farmhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 05:38:35 pm
CBB was the biggest splash hire, Petrino was big because of the way it transpired. It was shock and awe when we hired CBB out of nowhere IMO. And as we know now 1 was definitely better for on field results!
Chavis is probably the biggest splash hire as an assistant in history, I know we have had some as good or better but they didn't have the skins on the wall when they were hired here that I can recall.
The splash you heard with Bret was a turd hitting the water. If you did your research and heard him out Alabama, you knew he was all mouth.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Inhogswetrust

I think it isn't even in football............It's in baseball. DVH.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawginbigd1

Quote from: farmhawg on January 09, 2018, 06:30:43 pm
The splash you heard with Bret was a turd hitting the water. If you did your research and heard him out Alabama, you knew he was all mouth.
When I was posting I knew this was coming from someone.

Shocking it was you. /S

David†

farmhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 10:17:49 pm
When I was posting I knew this was coming from someone.

Shocking it was you. /S
I forgot your love for the big guy, my bad.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

steveaustin69

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/YPIrsRqqO7oB2"; width="480" height="196" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/joker-batman-heath-ledger-YPIrsRqqO7oB2">via GIPHY</a></p>

Busta_Nutt

Excited to have Chief !

Easy. Bret Bielema. Guy was coming off three straight Rose Bowl appearances, four 10-win seasons in 7 years, and five Top 25 finishes -- including twice finishing the season at #7. It was a home run hire, until it wasn't.

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, easily.  The fanbase was particularly excited about BP's potential.

BB had a good resume, but during a time the Big10 was down...was seen by many as Nutt2.0.  His hire did not generate the excitement that BP did.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

26.2Hog

Way outside the 20 year range, but hiring Raymond Berry was a big deal at that time.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

HogPharmer

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 11, 2018, 10:01:47 am
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/YPIrsRqqO7oB2"; width="480" height="196" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/joker-batman-heath-ledger-YPIrsRqqO7oB2">via GIPHY</a></p>

This is probably the best post you've ever made on here.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Bacons Rebellion

I did a few volumetric displacement calculations that I learned in Ozark Hall and Bielema makes the biggest splash.

Hopeful Hog

I would say Patrino, Bert, then Chavis in that order.

RebelliousHog

Double nought secret code?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 09, 2018, 06:33:13 pm
This was my answer as well.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Excited to have Chief !

Hogs Hire Bear Bryant but Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and he went to war and never coached a down .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mizzourazorback

Hands down......The Biggest Splash Hire has to go to John L. Smith.............. SMILE

oldhawg

Quote from: Cotton on January 12, 2018, 08:35:20 am
This was my answer as well.

If you are looking beyond football, you can't leave out John McDonnell.

Cotton

Quote from: oldhawg on January 12, 2018, 09:27:56 am

That would've been my second choice too.. wasn't sure when he was hired though.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jgphillips3

Petrino and Chavis are easily the biggest head coach and coordinator hires.  Randy Shannon and Pittman were huge position coach hires but we've had a lot of very good position coaches over the years.

greenEGnHAWGS

If we're talking assistants, Randy Shannon was a pretty big name that came here. For coaches, Petrino and Bielema are really close.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenie

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 11, 2018, 04:51:59 pm
I did a few volumetric displacement calculations that I learned in Ozark Hall and Bielema makes the biggest splash.

This equation calculates the volumetric displacement of a liquid that is required for buoyancy.  If somebody made this calculation for CBB, there must have been a math error somewhere...because he certainly ended up sinking.   8)

Inhogswetrust

January 12, 2018, 11:28:48 am #30 Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:21:46 pm by Inhogswetrust

When hired he wasn't a "splash" known name. He became that by being the dominant coach here after being hired. Beside the question was in the last twenty years. That being said John is the best coach by far way and above anybody else to EVER coach at Arkansas AND in Track and Field perhaps the whole world..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cotton on January 12, 2018, 10:26:17 am
That would've been my second choice too.. wasn't sure when he was hired though.

!972 for cross country. Given the whole men's track program in 1978.

26.2Hog

Because of McDonnell, I used to have this on the front of my Jeep.

duck slayer

Bret first because he was sitting on gold at Whiskey. I don't know what happened, but that was an amazing hire to steal him away in the middle of his success there.  I don't know why Jeff Long gets heat for that hire. I said "hire" before you rip me.

Petrino second. He was obviously leaving that job with the Falcons. The only reason that was a surprise was the timing.  Still an outstanding hire.  Petrino had done really well Louisville and as a coordinator, but they were not a P5 powerhouse like UW was.

Chavis is the best assistant in my recollection.

Guess the lesson here is making an amazing hire is only the first step and doesn't mean crap on its own, both of those guys disappointed in different ways.

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2018, 11:30:50 am
!972 for cross country. Given the whole men's track program in 1978.
I figured it had been at least that long which is why I didn't think about him as "last 20 years" like the OP

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 11, 2018, 04:40:42 pm
This is probably the best post you've ever made on here.

Dayyyuuummm Pharmer.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 12, 2018, 10:33:05 am
If we're talking assistants, Randy Shannon was a pretty big name that came here. For coaches, Petrino and Bielema are really close.

Started reading the thread and then scanned to see if Shannon was mentioned by anyone.  Whether it's justified or not, he had a very big name as a defensive coach when he came here, with what he had accomplished at Miami.

HogPharmer

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 12, 2018, 12:28:20 pm
Dayyyuuummm Pharmer.!!

I stand behind my statement. The jumbled, failed link he provided is still better than most of the garbage posted by him.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Mjs84

I don't see how anyone could claim Brets prime was a bigger splash than Petrino.  Results aside Bobby > Bert.

LZH

26.2Hog

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 07:02:48 pm
Joe Kines!

He was born on a train!

What other coach can say that!?

wachhog

Intuitively, Bobby seemed like the coach to take us places, thus the excitement from the fan base. Intuitively, Btet didn't seem like a good fit.  The wisdom of the crowd...

Hogindasticks

Fixin to change.......results on the field...with the recruiting these guys are doing.........just wow...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: oldhawg on January 09, 2018, 05:06:46 pm
At the time Bielema had a good resume.  But as everyone should know by now, statistics don't alway tell the whole story.
yeah, some folks fell for that. some saw right thru it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 12, 2018, 12:46:33 pm
Started reading the thread and then scanned to see if Shannon was mentioned by anyone.  Whether it's justified or not, he had a very big name as a defensive coach when he came here, with what he had accomplished at Miami.

I did the same. I was shocked when he came here.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

opineonswine

I'm going out on a limb.  I think Chad Morris will be the best hire we've made in a very long time.

TheHAWGfather

Sweet Lou Holts, Crash Petrino, and then maybe Chief Chavis. But ..... when hired as assistants, former head coaches Enos and Rhoads were considered big time hires.

okrazorback

If you want to go into something other than football. It is Nolan.

These are just opinions based loosely on facts.  Within the past 20 years, Chavis may be the biggest name for a coordinator we've ever hired.  As to football HCs, I choose Petrino because if we would have been given the opportunity to hire either Petrino or Bielema, take your pick, I would have chosen Petrino hands down.  I see Petrino as the splash hire between the 2.  And that opinion would have been before either ever coached a game for us.