Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rest of the staff?

Started by hawgwash, January 09, 2018, 02:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 12:00:25 pm
The DBs were the best coached and recruited unit in the defense the last two years. Pulley's injury prevented that secondary from being a very special unit. And they did it all with basically no pressure on the QB.

Agreed.  Watching our DL get pushed around by Coastal Carolina was an eye-opener.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 10, 2018, 11:43:08 am
Interesting that "objectivity" can ONLY be seen as a negative outlook on your part.

Here are some other words you could use:
It is "realistic" that there is a plan that could work here. Get the horses and let the masterminds work.
It is "reasonable" to let them show a product before judgment is cast on them.

It is reasonable to question why a guy that wasn't a good enough coach at SMU to be on the defensive staff for a horrible defensive. But is a good enough to now be a co-position coach in the SEC.

I assume the answer is recruiting. But it reasonable to ask

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 12:01:19 pm
Agreed.  Watching our DL get pushed around by Coastal Carolina was an eye-opener.

So, is that coaching, talent, or scheme?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 12:05:16 pm

I'm sure it's a combination of all three.  Although we had vastly more talent than Coastal Carolina, obviously.

They were starting four freshman on their OL, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Stu

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 12:05:16 pm
Or strength and conditioning?

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 12:06:53 pm
I'm sure it's a combination of all three.  Although we had vastly more talent than Coastal Carolina, obviously.

They were starting four freshman on their OL, too.

that game was just awful to watch on all levels lol.  I am expecting big things from Agim he has shown flashes.

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 12:08:09 pm
that game was just awful to watch on all levels lol.  I am expecting big things from Agim he has shown flashes.

He's an elite talent.  Just a need a coach that can maximize his potential.  I trust Caldwell.  John Scott, not so much.
1909/1964/1965/1977

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2018, 12:01:53 pm
It is reasonable to question why a guy that wasn't a good enough coach at SMU to be on the defensive staff for a horrible defensive. But is a good enough to now be a co-position coach in the SEC.

I assume the answer is recruiting. But it reasonable to ask

You are correct. It is reasonable to ask. I do NOT see it as reasonable to call it an outright terrible hire already. I'm also reasonable enough to say that it COULD be a bad hire. But I'll at leash let the results come before I cast stones as I can see the plan that's been put into place.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogfan14

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:34:49 am
lol, because people say so?  If he was a recruiter, there would be tangible results to point to.  But there aren't.

I mean we don't know that Morris is a great recruiter either, but his Texas connections and background at Clemson is enough to indicate he should be able to be a good one. Smith being involved with Texas High School Football Associations is a good connection to have if we're going to be recruiting the state a lot.

Hog Pharm

I wouldn't say Petrino had an all star staff but he did pretty well. I'd definitely say this staff is a lot better than any of his. Biggest thing is going to be can they recruit? They seem to at least be putting a big emphasis on it.

Hog Pharm

Everyone likes to talk we need to hire recruiters. Hiring co-DL and DB coaches seems to be trying to get as many recruiters as possible.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 12:08:09 pm

It could be that....or the other guys on the line are just that bad?  LOL

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 10, 2018, 12:35:19 pm

The proof is in the pudding......when they show out a little bit this year, it will the majority of recruits our way this year....i see big things coming.

HawgTide

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 11:10:44 am
Ah, yes.  Personal attacks.   I grew quite familiar with them while telling everyone why Bielema wouldn't work out.

The majority of this board is totally incapable of objectivity.

You bring some good stuff but I wouldn't say you are objective. I mean it's not like you are going to come back in the next couple of years and admit you were wrong. Vent away

colbs

I was a little surprised John Scott was retained.  He didn't have much help from the scheme last year and how the staff put weight on some players.  IMO Sosa is playing a little too heavy.  If they took some weight off of him and left him at DE I think it would help.  Scott seems to be a good recruiter.  In his first year he got Fulwider.  Mincey committed because of him and was the lead recruiter for Goodwin.

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: TebowHater on January 10, 2018, 11:57:19 am
Our DB's improved drastically under Rhodes.

Improved yes. We're we good there no. We had a + 1 turnover ratio which is terrible we had 8 Interceptins that's good for about 95th was n the country

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think Scott will get better as a coach working with Caldwell.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Quote from: colbs on January 10, 2018, 01:01:16 pm
I was a little surprised John Scott was retained.  He didn't have much help from the scheme last year and how the staff put weight on some players.  IMO Sosa is playing a little too heavy.  If they took some weight off of him and left him at DE I think it would help.  Scott seems to be a good recruiter.  In his first year he got Fulwider.  Mincey committed because of him and was the lead recruiter for Goodwin.

His Georgia and Southeast recruiting ties is why he stayed. While Texas and Arkansas should be out main focus, we need to get a couple kids from Georgia a year as well. Same with Louisiana (maybe up to 4 from there).

SooieGeneris

The only surprise to me was Mark Smith. While his on field resume, like Scott's, is on the thin side, remember people: with the 10th coach just coming in this year, there will be a lot of young coaches with thin resumes; analysts and the like in that 10th spot all over CFB.

Scott was the lead recruiter for Fulwider and Mincey and gets us into Georgia and the Carolinas. Naysayers bring up the T. Tech fiasco, but right after that game the DC was fired for substance abuse. A couple of his linemen wound up in the NFL.

Our D line didn't exactly dominate anyone last season, but we don't know how much of that was on the DC and mainly the HC. We had several different DL coaches, the results were pretty much the same with all of them after Flowers and Philon left. Segrest had been the DL coach in the NFL with the Eagles under Andy Reid, so he had a good resume and still didn't get results.

IMO, we were sold a bill of goods by Bert with the move to the 3-4 and changes in position coaches and DCs. He would always tell us we would go to a more aggressive style with each change, then we would see the same no pass rush with 4, no blitz- bend and still break crap.

It was like Nutt with offensive changes. Hooty would bring in an Alex Wood or the guy from E. Ill. or Gus and tell us we would throw more, be more aggressive etc and "this time I really mean it" in so many words, and we would continue to see more of the same. He could not keep his hands off the offense and Bert was the same with the D.

I'm assuming Skipper decided to take another job, maybe a couple of others did the same. Price is an Aggie through and through, I never thought he was coming here. Skipper was not all that highly thought of at UF, at least as a coach I mean. The guy has bounced around between RBs and LBs at a lot of different places.

The two coaches in question hired here have something to prove, but we don't know that this is not an SEC level staff. With Chavis, Caldwell and Cooper we will have more SEC experience combined than most in the league. Having one with little to no college experience on the field is no big deal with the 10 position added.

Scott has a few years on the field with less than overwhelming results on the surface, but I think the guy is going to be one of our best recruiters. If we keep Mincey and add another stud or two in Feb along with Ferrell and Fulwider, his hiring  will have been justified. It may just be that Agim is the only current player on that line who is above average although Guidry was coming on late in the year.

Next season is a transition year, if they can't do the job or make up for it in recruiting, I'm sure it will be addressed.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 10, 2018, 01:38:02 pm
The only surprise to me was Mark Smith. While his on field resume, like Scott's, is on the thin side, remember people: with the 10th coach just coming in this year, there will be a lot of young coaches with thin resumes; analysts and the like in that 10th spot all over CFB.

Scott was the lead recruiter for Fulwider and Mincey and gets us into Georgia and the Carolinas. Naysayers bring up the T. Tech fiasco, but right after that game the DC was fired for substance abuse. A couple of his linemen wound up in the NFL.

Our D line didn't exactly dominate anyone last season, but we don't know how much of that was on the DC and mainly the HC. We had several different DL coaches, the results were pretty much the same with all of them after Flowers and Philon left. Segrest had been the DL coach in the NFL with the Eagles under Andy Reid, so he had a good resume and still didn't get results.

IMO, we were sold a bill of goods by Bert with the move to the 3-4 and changes in position coaches and DCs. He would always tell us we would go to a more aggressive style with each change, then we would see the same no pass rush with 4, no blitz- bend and still break crap.

It was like Nutt with offensive changes. Hooty would bring in an Alex Wood or the guy from E. Ill. or Gus and tell us we would throw more, be more aggressive etc and "this time I really mean it" in so many words, and we would continue to see more of the same. He could not keep his hands off the offense and Bert was the same with the D.

I'm assuming Skipper decided to take another job, maybe a couple of others did the same. Price is an Aggie through and through, I never thought he was coming here. Skipper was not all that highly thought of at UF, at least as a coach I mean. The guy has bounced around between RBs and LBs at a lot of different places.

The two coaches in question hired here have something to prove, but we don't know that this is not an SEC level staff. With Chavis, Caldwell and Cooper we will have more SEC experience combined than most in the league. Having one with little to no college experience on the field is no big deal with the 10 position added.

Scott has a few years on the field with less than overwhelming results on the surface, but I think the guy is going to be one of our best recruiters. If we keep Mincey and add another stud or two in Feb along with Ferrell and Fulwider, his hiring  will have been justified. It may just be that Agim is the only current player on that line who is above average although Guidry was coming on late in the year.

Next season is a transition year, if they can't do the job or make up for it in recruiting, I'm sure it will be addressed.

Well done

Hawg Life

Segrest finally got a job today DL @ La. LaFayette.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

311Hog

those dudes look the part

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BR on January 10, 2018, 04:50:26 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/strength-and-conditioning-staff-announced/

This graphics team is on point.  They gave each of these guys their own look. 
In order you've got
1.  The Norseman.
2.  The broham.
3.  The cool dude.
4.  The guy with a boat.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

cardinalhawg

The main thing I think is important is great chemistry and collaboration among the coach.  I think we have enough proven coaches on the defensive side of the ball that it is key having the right guys to complete that and fit the philosophy.  I think they will be fine coaching too, but we need the recruits.  Then with the grad assistants and analysts, I think there will be plenty of areas covered. 

FraggleHog

Curious as to when they'll release Salary Figures...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

RaisinHog

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 11, 2018, 04:09:27 pm

There waiting on hogville too cool down and quit gripping about the hires . Then they will release the contract info so we can bitch about something else. .

Deep Shoat

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 11, 2018, 04:09:27 pm
They are waiting on Pig in the Pokey, Duckman, and Hawg Life to get free for a conference call with prj. 

They will inform us immediately after.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawg Life

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 11, 2018, 09:55:16 pm
They are waiting on Pig in the Pokey, Duckman, and Hawg Life to get free for a conference call with prj. 

They will inform us immediately after.

Deep Throat is a funny guy.