Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rest of the staff?

Started by hawgwash, January 09, 2018, 02:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:01:57 am
Mark Smith and John Scott are terrible hires.  This is not an SEC-level defensive staff.

my feeling is there is a plan. It looks like Morris brought in Offensive guys he was comfortable with and Chavis did to, but on both sides of the ball 1 guy was retained to maintain a connection to the existing roster.  Lunney and Scott, probably seen as the best recruiters of the previous staff that wanted to stay etc.

While i agree to some extent Smith and Scott could turn out to surprise when paired up with Chavis.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawginj on January 10, 2018, 10:04:38 am
I have to admit not real excited about the defensive staff but it is what it is 3 seasoned coaches 1 young coach that we arent impressed of from last year and 1 young highschool coach that was a recruiting director hope it works out.

Mark Smith had a losing record as a HS head coach.  Was a quality control coach for OU.  Was SMU's recruiting coordinator.

That's the extent of his experience.  How he got a job as an SEC position coach is beyond me. 

He and Scott are truly horrendous hires.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Coaches have to start somewhere.  Just don't care for them adjusting to college football while at Arkansas considering our competition. 

I'm ok Scott was retained for the transition.  Caldwell will be coaching up the line. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:04:46 am
my feeling is there is a plan. It looks like Morris brought in Offensive guys he was comfortable with and Chavis did to, but on both sides of the ball 1 guy was retained to maintain a connection to the existing roster.  Lunney and Scott, probably seen as the best recruiters of the previous staff that wanted to stay etc.

While i agree to some extent Smith and Scott could turn out to surprise when paired up with Chavis.

I'm out on that D-staff.  Just not SEC-level.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 10:06:16 am
Coaches have to start somewhere.  Just don’t care for them adjusting to college football while at Arkansas considering our competition. 

Should they start at the highest level of college football?  In the most competitive division in America? 

Rory Segrest was a better hire than these guys.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:07:18 am
Should they start at the highest level of college football?  In the most competitive division in America? 

Rory Segrest was a better hire than these guys.

I was trying to be delicate with my opinion Wild.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:06:37 am
I'm out on that D-staff.  Just not SEC-level.

at this moment wait and see etc. I feel like more than half the D staff on paper is fine i just think that some were kept due to connection instate current players and/or not enough track record yet.

I mean hopefully Scott closes the deal on some recruits and takes off under the new coaching staff it is all i can do.  Smith i think is more to work with Morris on recruiting than to coach on the field.

Razor2Red

You guys are looking at Smith from a coaching perspective, Morris maybe looking at him as a 10th assistant who can go and recruit Texas.

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:06:03 am
Mark Smith had a losing record as a HS head coach.  Was a quality control coach for OU.  Was SMU's recruiting coordinator.

That's the extent of his experience.  How he got a job as an SEC position coach is beyond me. 

Its not like Smith is coaching the Secondary by himself. He has experience back there with him. Give the people a chance before you blow up about it.

I also agree that Smith is an excellent recruiter, so this will help him being able to travel and get in the homes of potential recruits

Wildhog

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 10, 2018, 10:10:24 am
Its not like Smith is coaching the Secondary by himself. He has experience back there with him. Give the people a chance before you blow up about it.

I also agree that Smith is an excellent recruiter, so this will help him being able to travel and get in the homes of potential recruits

No, we saw what happened when we hired guys for "on the job training" with Bielema.

Screw this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:09:05 am
at this moment wait and see etc. I feel like more than half the D staff on paper is fine i just think that some were kept due to connection instate current players and/or not enough track record yet.

I mean hopefully Scott closes the deal on some recruits and takes off under the new coaching staff it is all i can do.  Smith i think is more to work with Morris on recruiting than to coach on the field.

I feel like its hard to gage Scott based on last year. The defensive scheme we ran last year was very conservative (bend but don't break). Rushing 3 or 4 at a time. Hopefully with Chavis they will be more aggressive

Wildhog

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 10, 2018, 10:11:57 am
I feel like its hard to gage Scott based on last year. The defensive scheme we ran last year was very conservative (bend but don't break). Rushing 3 or 4 at a time. Hopefully with Chavis they will be more aggressive

The DL's he fielded at Texas Tech were historically bad, too.  He fielded the DL that we rushed for like 500 yards on.

Then he gets fired and they did a LOT better against us the next year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:12:53 am
The DL's he fielded at Texas Tech were historically bad, too.  He fielded the DL that we rushed for like 500 yards on.

I mean based on the buzz out there who did you honestly expect we were going to get (besides Skipper)?

HogginUp

Quote from: Razor2Red on January 10, 2018, 10:10:17 am
You guys are looking at Smith from a coaching perspective, Morris maybe looking at him as a 10th assistant who can go and recruit Texas.
Good point. The NCAA 10th Assistant Rule came into effect yesterday. I'm sure plenty of schools will use that spot for a younger/hybrid type coach.

pghawg1

Nobody Knows  if this is a good staff r not until we see the results on the field. People need to quit bitching about everything. I have been a Hog fan for 50 years I am support our coaches who ever they are. How do we know if the Hogs had played SMU LAST season they may have KICKED our butts.

colbs

Caldwell and Cooper are really good hires IMO.  Mark Smith is unknown but has good ties to Texas.  He was a member of the TX Coaches  Association and President of the North Texas HS Coaches Association.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:12:53 am

Caldwell will be coaching the line too.

Coaching D at Arkansas is not a good job outside of the pay. 

jgphillips3

Morris is, despite titles, our real OC.  Chavis is our DC.  I feel we are in competent, capable hands with both.  If a position coach doesn't work out, just say bug-bye in 2019.  It's not like we are stuck with them forever...jeez...

HawgTide

Hopefully he is a recruiting machine

BossHawg_Outlaw

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:11:12 am
No, we saw what happened when we hired guys for "on the job training" with Bielema.

Screw this.

i'm just tired of having to make excuses and build up unproven coaches.  we did that every time CBB made a hire.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: BossHawg_Outlaw on January 10, 2018, 10:17:25 am
i'm just tired of having to make excuses and build up unproven coaches.  we did that every time CBB made a hire.

Oh, this is exactly like the later years of Bielema.  At least Bielema's initial staff was solid.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawginj

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:06:03 am

I completely agree I was ok with Scott staying if they were bringing in Skipper to coach with Cooper looks like we have no Louisiana coaching ties won't bode well for recruiting the State.

Wildhog

I really thought we were going to get Tim Skipper.  And was holding out hope that Terry Joseph might want to come with Chavis.  Apparently not.
1909/1964/1965/1977

azhog10

Would have much rather had Brian Early than Scott and Trooper over Smith. Not an elite staff and no way CCM can honestly feel like he went out and got the best he could get.

That's assuming Joseph and Skipper were never really a possibility.

Wildhog

Quote from: azhog10 on January 10, 2018, 10:20:13 am
Would have much rather had Brian Early than Scott and Trooper over Smith. Not an elite staff and no way CCM can honestly feel like he went out and got the best he could get.

That's my deal.  It takes actual effort to make hires as bad as Scott/Smith.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:11:12 am

Screw this.
Hey, I've got an idea.  Why don't you quit posting so you can cry about it?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawginj

Quote from: azhog10 on January 10, 2018, 10:20:13 am

That's assuming Joseph and Skipper were never really a possibility.
exactly how I feel.

porque

Scott and Smith are recruiting hires.  I'm fine with it as long as they bring in some 4 star athletes.

Caldwell has got the Dline and Cooper has the secondary.

HawgTide

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:17:37 am
No one knows.

Exactly....give it some time

I do wonder who is going to coach special teams and do we have a complete list of off the field analysts and advisers yet? Seems like that staff is much larger than previously

BossHawg_Outlaw

i'd hope with all of our other coaches connections to texas we could recruit there with out having to hire a coach who has never been a position coach in college

HawgTide

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:18:29 am
Oh, this is exactly like the later years of Bielema.  At least Bielema's initial staff was solid.

Well ultimately the head coach was proven to be the weakest link

RaisinHog

Smith is definitely a head scratcher .. don't think Scott is a very good coach.  But at least we may get a pretty highly regarded D end out of the deal .. good news is Cooper and Caldwell are proven and are listed at the same position as the order two so maybe they will do most of the important stuff..

Wildhog

Quote from: porque on January 10, 2018, 10:24:20 am
Scott and Smith are recruiting hires.  I'm fine with it as long as they bring in some 4 star athletes.

Huh?  Mark Smith has never done it.  Recruiting coordinators don't go out and actually recruit. 

And we still don't know if John Scott is going to produce anything in this class.  Gooden may never make it to campus and we could lose Mincey.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Shorttimer

Quote from: pghawg1 on January 10, 2018, 10:14:56 am
Nobody Knows  if this is a good staff r not until we see the results on the field. People need to quit bitching about everything. I have been a Hog fan for 50 years I am support our coaches who ever they are. How do we know if the Hogs had played SMU LAST season they may have KICKED our butts.
Yeah, but if Wildhog doesn't go on record now, his I-told-you-so posts next December won't mean as much.  He can't be prescient without a prediction.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hawginj on January 10, 2018, 09:53:14 am
Welp

I was wrong. I was told Skipper would be on staff not sure what happened there, but UNLV offered him DC job, and that looks better on a resume. I thought we'd do so much better than Scott @ DL, and we had options that in my opinion were better.

HawgTide

Quote from: Shorttimer on January 10, 2018, 10:27:52 am
Yeah, but if Wildhog doesn't go on record now, his I-told-you-so posts next December won't mean as much.  He can't be prescient without a prediction.

I like to think Wildhog is just an emotional guy and not really going for the Eastex award

porque

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:27:32 am
Huh?  Mark Smith has never done it.  Recruiting coordinators don't go out and actually recruit. 

Exactly, thats why he is a position coach.  So he can recruit.  If he brings in the recruits it will be a great hire, if he doesn't, not so much.

linkshog

i found this quote from Coach Caldwell about recruiting from his previous employment here.  I like the approach and goes in line with what is being preached from the top down.

A: I look for athletic ability and if they guy can run. This game is so fast. The first thing you recruit for are the guys that have speed. The most important thing you have to find in this league, above all other things, is speed. It is speed and work ethic. The kid has to be able to make himself better.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

Wildhog

Quote from: porque on January 10, 2018, 10:31:32 am
Exactly, thats why he is a position coach.  So he can recruit.  If he brings in the recruits it will be a great hire, if he doesn't, not so much.

Oh good.  More "on the job training" in the SEC.

Y'all spin this any way you want, but this isn't an SEC-level staff.
1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

And we still don't know if John Scott is going to produce anything in this class.  Gooden may never make it to campus and we could lose Mincey.

odd because the bio listed on the Arkansas site sure does seem to say Mark Smith is a recruiter.

Coach Morris on Smith
"I'm excited to have Mark Smith join our coaching staff. He did a great job leading our recruiting department at SMU while also handling analyst responsibilities on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. His knowledge and ability to recruit along with his passion for the game excites me about his future. I know he'll work extremely well with Coach Chavis and Coach Cooper in leading our secondary unit."

Smith on joining Coach Morris' staff at Arkansas
"My family and I are thrilled to be a part of Coach Morris' staff at the University of Arkansas. The fan base and excitement around the program right now is truly amazing. I'm looking forward to working with our student-athletes on being the best that they can be."

Bio
One of the assistants that helped recruit Arkansas' early signing class in December, Smith will help lead the secondary. Along with his three seasons at SMU, Smith also has college experience as defensive quality control coach at Oklahoma.

The_Iceman

Wildhog

Quote from: linkshog on January 10, 2018, 10:31:44 am
i found this quote from Coach Caldwell about recruiting from his previous employment here.  I like the approach and goes in line with what is being preached from the top down.

A: I look for athletic ability and if they guy can run. This game is so fast. The first thing you recruit for are the guys that have speed. The most important thing you have to find in this league, above all other things, is speed. It is speed and work ethic. The kid has to be able to make himself better.

Caldwell is a great evaluator.  I like Caldwell.  Same with Cooper. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

porque

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:32:02 am

Its not spin.  Its the truth.  He is a recruiter.

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:32:02 am
odd because the bio listed on the Arkansas site sure does seem to say Mark Smith is a recruiter.

Coach Morris on Smith
“I’m excited to have Mark Smith join our coaching staff. He did a great job leading our recruiting department at SMU while also handling analyst responsibilities on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. His knowledge and ability to recruit along with his passion for the game excites me about his future. I know he’ll work extremely well with Coach Chavis and Coach Cooper in leading our secondary unit.”

Smith on joining Coach Morris’ staff at Arkansas
“My family and I are thrilled to be a part of Coach Morris’ staff at the University of Arkansas. The fan base and excitement around the program right now is truly amazing. I’m looking forward to working with our student-athletes on being the best that they can be.”

Bio
One of the assistants that helped recruit Arkansas’ early signing class in December, Smith will help lead the secondary. Along with his three seasons at SMU, Smith also has college experience as defensive quality control coach at Oklahoma.

So... he hasn't recruited before now.  Working in the recruiting department <> actual recruiting
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: porque on January 10, 2018, 10:33:30 am
Its not spin.  Its the truth.  He is a recruiter.

lol, because people say so?  If he was a recruiter, there would be tangible results to point to.  But there aren't.
1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:33:41 am
So... he hasn't recruited before now.  Working in the recruiting department <> actual recruiting

i dont know what success he has had i am just saying that it appears he is actually going to be recruiting as the recruiting coordinator etc.  And that Morris seems to believe in him as a recruiter.

Really seems like he is going to be a hybrid position.

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:35:02 am
i dont know what success he has had i am just saying that it appears he is actually going to be recruiting as the recruiting coordinator etc.

Really seems like he is going to be a hybrid position.

No, he's going to be a DB coach here.  On-field. 

His FIRST on-field job at the college level.  In the SEC-W.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

He's done it while he was here, and E.K. went out when we fell below 9 coaches.  Morris chose him, we'll see what he knows on coaching. Let's wait until the contract numbers are released, we still aren't to be a school that has a large assistant coach's budget. Chavis was more than likely $5-700k more than our previous DC.

oldhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:32:02 am

You got to start somewhere, sometime.  Even Brent Venables was a first time position coach once upon a time.