Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rest of the staff?

Started by hawgwash, January 09, 2018, 02:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: oldhawg on January 10, 2018, 10:36:24 am
You got to start somewhere, sometime.  Even Brent Venables was a first time position coach once upon a time.

Ah, sounds familiar.  Like most of the coaches hired toward the end of Bielema's tenure.  That "on-the-job-training" sure worked out.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on January 10, 2018, 10:36:24 am
You got to start somewhere, sometime.  Even Brent Venables was a first time position coach once upon a time.
Ole "high school" himself went from high school to OC in the SEC......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 10:38:17 am

"High School" himself was a HS coaching legend in Arkansas.

Mark Smith had a damn losing record as a HS coach.
1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:35:54 am
No, he's going to be a DB coach here.  On-field. 

His FIRST on-field job at the college level.  In the SEC-W.

shrug when i looked it had Cooper as secondary coach to, so he won't be coaching dbs alone.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 10, 2018, 10:30:14 am
I was wrong. I was told Skipper would be on staff not sure what happened there, but UNLV offered him DC job, and that looks better on a resume. I thought we'd do so much better than Scott @ DL, and we had options that in my opinion were better.
I understand was hoping for Skipper as well would have rather had Early than Scott but we have what we have I didn't want to believe the Smith rumors.

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:39:28 am
shrug when i looked it had Cooper as secondary coach to, she he won't be coaching dbs alone.

Great justification for hiring a coach in the SEC.  "He'll have somebody else to babysit him."
1909/1964/1965/1977

HawgTide

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:37:29 am
Ah, sounds familiar.  Like most of the coaches hired toward the end of Bielema's tenure.  That "on-the-job-training" sure worked out.

We just have to hope CCM has a better eye for coaching talent than CBB. I'm kind of surprised he didn't lean on Venables for someone with Clemson ties

311Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:40:28 am
Great justification for hiring a coach in the SEC.  "He'll have somebody else to babysit him."

eh i think it leans more towards this being a hybrid position as the 10th assistant.  Going to run recruiting, analytic s, and some on the field coaching.

Hawginj

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 10:38:17 am
yea but somebody paid $$$ for that to happen.

greenEGnHAWGS

My take on this staff seems pretty simple...Chavis/Morris have had amazing success when they get the horses, and the staff is designed to get the horses so the coaches can do what they do.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

The_Iceman

So the two coaches the idiots are bitching most about are actually co-coaching their units with John Chavis and Ron Cooper, two guys that each have decades of experience.

Good grief.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 10:45:01 am
So the two coaches the idiots are bitching most about are actually co-coaching their units with John Chavis and Ron Cooper, two guys that each have decades of experience.

Good grief.
Agreed! Glad we can be in the SEC-W and use two coaches (pay them $200k or more) to be assistants to an assistant coach. Nothing like having your assistants teach players and also teach coaches at the same time. Money and time well spent. Glad you said something, I feel so much better now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 10:43:56 am
eh i think it leans more towards this being a hybrid position as the 10th assistant.  Going to run recruiting, analytic s, and some on the field coaching.

Stop making sense. He has already dug into his position. He will never come around and admit he has blown this way out of proportion. Just let him whine and cry.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 10, 2018, 10:44:31 am
My take on this staff seems pretty simple...Chavis/Morris have had amazing success when they get the horses, and the staff is designed to get the horses so the coaches can do what they do.
Thats my thoughts as well. But some cant comprehend things so simple

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:39:10 am
"High School" himself was a HS coaching legend in Arkansas.

Mark Smith had a damn losing record as a HS coach.

Thus, only the move to a position coach.........

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:01:57 am
Mark Smith and John Scott are terrible hires.  This is not an SEC-level defensive staff.
1st of all, every post ive ever seen you make on this site have been negative. Do you find joy in anything Arkansas related?

2nd it didn't matter who we hired as DL coach last season. Bielema promised us a 3-4 defense and we were given a permanent prevent defense where linemen are tasked with occupying opposing linemen and LB's hang back. It was a defense that wasn't going to succeed no matter who the defensive coaches were. Scott and last years DL were screwed from the very beginning. He got retained for a reason and I expect to see a completely different performance out of his group this season
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Wildhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 10, 2018, 10:51:42 am
1st of all, every post ive ever seen you make on this site have been negative. Do you find joy in anything Arkansas related?

2nd it didn't matter who we hired as DL coach last season. Bielema promised us a 3-4 defense and we were given a permanent prevent defense where linemen are tasked with occupying opposing linemen and LB's hang back. It was a defense that wasn't going to succeed no matter who the defensive coaches were. Scott and last years DL were screwed from the very beginning. He got retained for a reason and I expect to see a completely different performance out of his group this season

Scott's never fielded a good DL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 10:45:01 am

Good grief.

Yes, they have babysitters.  A resounding endorsement.
1909/1964/1965/1977

colbs

Mark Smith was 21-22 as a HS coach.  Since he left that team is 6-25.

redhogchilipepper

Haven't even had a practice, scrimmage or game and folks bash the staff.

STFU already

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on January 10, 2018, 10:55:53 am

STFU already

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

East TN HAWG

My issue with a few of these coaches is the SEC is not the place to cut your coaching teeth.  Just ask Kurt Anderson how that worked out. 

I would have some concerns on just about all of the coaches experience except: Lunney, Chavis, Cooper and Caldwell.  They are the only truely experienced coaches.  A good case could be made for Traylor. 

The others (other than Scott) they seem to only have Clemson grad asst and SMU experience.    Scott's unit did not perform last year, and at Texas Tech.  That said, I believe Scott did a good job recruiting Fulwider, Gooden and Mincey. 

Wish we would have retained Smith. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 10, 2018, 10:57:10 am
My issue with a few of these coaches is the SEC is not the place to cut your coaching teeth.  Just ask Kurt Anderson how that worked out. 

I would have some concerns on just about all of the coaches experience except: Lunney, Chavis, Cooper and Caldwell.  They are the only truely experienced coaches.  A good case could be made for Traylor. 

The others (other than Scott) they seem to only have Clemson grad asst and SMU experience.    Scott's unit did not perform last year, and at Texas Tech.  That said, I believe Scott did a good job recruiting Fulwider, Gooden and Mincey. 

Wish we would have retained Smith.

Kurt Anderson wasn't Co-coaching his unit with a coach with decades of experience, including in the SEC.

Coach Scott will be working with Coach Caldwell and Coach Smith will be working with Coach Cooper.

The advantage of the 10th assistant.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 11:00:18 am
Kurt Anderson wasn't Co-coaching his unit with a coach with decades of experience, including in the SEC.

Coach Scott will be working with Coach Caldwell and Coach Smith will be working with Coach Cooper.

The advantage of the 10th assistant.
What about our OL coach?  He is going to be eaten alive next year in this conference. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:55:12 am
Yes, they have babysitters.  A resounding endorsement.

You are acting like these guys have no experience at all coaching. Or that each dont provide valuable recruiting ability to this staff.

What a moron.

opineonswine

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 10, 2018, 10:44:31 am

Awesome analysis. Looks that way to me too.

hawgwash

I'm thinking the reason for the delay in the coaching announcements, and especially the continued delay in the defensive staff, is Morris was working on other possibilities right up to the last minute, including yesterday.  Smith, and possibly Scott, were fall back plans when other options didn't work out.

Another thing no one has mentioned, is I guess Chavis will be coaching all the LB positions by himself, in addition to being DC.  I don't know if that's what he's done at his other stops but sounds like a full plate.

jst01

Haven’t even had a practice, scrimmage or game and folks bash the staff.

STFU already

Yes. This.  This board becomes un-readable during the offseason...Stupidity peaks at an all time high (also very high at all other times during the year).  I'll check back in with you dummies in August.

opineonswine

STFU already

No lie. Deplorables.

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 11:03:57 am
You are acting like these guys have no experience at all coaching. Or that each dont provide valuable recruiting ability to this staff.

What a moron.

Ah, yes.  Personal attacks.   I grew quite familiar with them while telling everyone why Bielema wouldn't work out.

The majority of this board is totally incapable of objectivity.
1909/1964/1965/1977

d3maybe

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:01:57 am
Mark Smith and John Scott are terrible hires.  This is not an SEC-level defensive staff.

Scott will be working under Caldwell and Smith will be working under Ron Cooper... so relax.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 11:10:44 am

True.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bulldog04

Quote from: d3maybe on January 10, 2018, 11:13:49 am
Scott will be working under Caldwell and Smith will be working under Ron Cooper... so relax.
Mark Smith is basically another recruiting coordinator with the title of secondary coach.  Our tenth assistant will be just a recruiter basically. That should show everyone the importance this staff is placing on recruiting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 10, 2018, 11:01:42 am
What about our OL coach?  He is going to be eaten alive next year in this conference.

Played in the NFL. Spent 3 years at Clemson and the last 3 at SMU. His line at SMU was Top 15 in effeciency. I don't think Morris could have put up the offensive numbers he did if Coach Fry wasnt good at his job.

The_Iceman

If Coach Scott goes to Georgia and gets us two solid players a class, he is worth the hire. Fulwider  (6'7" 250lb DE) and Mincey (6'4" 255lb DE) are solid additions to our team.

The_Iceman

I like the way Chad Morris set up the staff. You basically have the unit coaches:

Chavis: DC and Linebackers
Caldwell: Defensive line
Cooper: Secondary

Each of those guys has decades of coaching experience, including the SEC. Their main focus will be fundamentals, development, and scheme...while also spending some time recruiting.

Then you have the recruiters:

Scott: Southeast, particularly Goergia
Smith: Texas

Scott has college and NFL experience, while Smith was a Texas HS coach and was on the Board of the Texas HS Coaches Association. While not recruiting, they will assist on the field on the D-line and Secondary respectively.

I don't see why typical blowhard Hogville posters are so upset with this.

kibster

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 11:31:16 am
I like the way Chad Morris set up the staff. You basically have the unit coaches:

Chavis: DC and Linebackers
Caldwell: Defensive line
Cooper: Secondary

Each of those guys has decades of coaching experience, including the SEC. Their main focus will be fundamentals, development, and scheme...while also spending some time recruiting.

Then you have the recruiters:

Scott: Southeast, particularly Goergia
Smith: Texas

Scott has college and NFL experience, while Smith was a Texas HS coach and was on the Board of the Texas HS Coaches Association. While not recruiting, they will assist on the field on the D-line and Secondary respectively.

I don't see why typical blowhard Hogville posters are so upset with this.

Because....Because....*rabble rabble*
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

King Kong

I agree Smith is puzzling at best. Hopefully he is an amazing recruiter. But that is TBD.

It would say it's safe to assume he isn't the most amazing DB coach ever. Or Morris would have had him coaching Defense at SMU. Good thing he is paired with Cooper

Scott is a solid recruiting not he best ever. Probably the second best on the team last year. I would agree his history of his defensive units is questionable. Good thing Caldwell is there.

I would point out that Chavis's record setting 2011 Defense only has 3 defensive coaches on it. Haley, Cooper and Chavis.

Other negative no Louisiana recruiter. Cooper and Chavis have ties but I don't expect Michael Smith results

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2018, 11:19:01 am
Played in the NFL. Spent 3 years at Clemson and the last 3 at SMU. His line at SMU was Top 15 in effeciency. I don't think Morris could have put up the offensive numbers he did if Coach Fry wasnt good at his job.
Definitely agree above.  Watch SMU oline against TCU for a more objective comparison.  I look for significant improvement over last year.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 11:10:44 am
Ah, yes.  Personal attacks.   I grew quite familiar with them while telling everyone why Bielema wouldn't work out.

Interesting that "objectivity" can ONLY be seen as a negative outlook on your part.

Here are some other words you could use:
It is "realistic" that there is a plan that could work here. Get the horses and let the masterminds work.
It is "reasonable" to let them show a product before judgment is cast on them.

Dwight_K_Shrute

January 10, 2018, 11:43:39 am #241 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:08:10 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
I think questioning the hiring of Smith as an on field defensive coach is fine.  Fans should be able to look at a hire with a critical eye.  Now there is a wrong way and a right way to do that.

Right way:  Well Smith's resume is really light.  Defense is king in the SEC and I think you need guys with experience.  Hope it works out.

Wrong way:  18 different replies by the same person saying that it's a terrible hire. 

Now the problem is that he feels he has to reply to each individual retort to his initial post.  So it keeps the endless string of criticism going.  Also some of the replies back to him go overboard as well.

Also we had a number of bad, light resume hires with Bielema that directly lead to poor on the field results and his downfall.  When Kurt Anderson was hired I said "Really, we replaced Sam Pittman with an assistant to the assistant whose only FBS experience is at a terrible Eastern Michigan program?"  Then get the Bielema knows what he is doing, he has an eye for coach talent replies.  After first year "Is it OK to criticize the EMU yet?"  Well he's only working with the talent he has on hand.  They didn't recruit enough of this or that, but Mic Drops are cool.  Then after Austin Allen barely survives the Battle of Antietam, "We can all agree that Anderson is horrible?"  Yeah he's the worst get his fat a** out of here.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

STFU already
Not sure why after all this time that it's still amazing and humorous to me that some are willing to bash/trash and otherwise belittle the possible qualifications and potential results of a particular coach BEFORE they've even coached one practice or game on the Hill. Yep, that's the spirit-assume that no matter what things are AUTOMATICALLY turning out for the worse. How about actually reserving all the judgement until we see the actual results on the field? Maybe, just maybe, we might be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, perhaps we won't. No matter which way it falls though there will be MORE than ample time to criticize and call for someone's head based on FACTS, not supposition(s).

Cotton

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 10, 2018, 11:43:39 am
I think questioning the hiring of Smith as an on field defensive coach is fine.  Fans should be able to look at a hire with a critical eye.  Now there is a wrong way and a right way to do that.

Right way:  Well Smith's resume is really light.  Defense is king in the SEC and I think you need guys with experience.  Hope it works out.

Wrong way:  18 different replies by the same person saying that it's a terrible hire. 

Now the problem is that he feels he has to reply to each individual retort to his initial post.  So it keeps the endless string of criticism going.  Also some of the repl

Also we had a number of bad, light resume hires with Bielema that directly lead to poor on the field results and his downfall.  When Kurt Anderson was hired I said "Really, we replaced Sam Pittman with an assistant to the assistant whose only FBS experience is at a terrible Eastern Michigan program?"  Then get the Bielema knows what he is doing, he has an eye for coach talent replies.  After first year "Is it OK to criticize the EMU yet?"  Well he's only working with the talent he has on hand.  They didn't recruit enough of this or that, but Mic Drops are cool.  Then after Austin Allen barely survives the Battle of Antietam, "We can all agree that Anderson is horrible?"  Yeah he's the worst get his fat a** out of here.
1. Terrific post with the right/wrong way stuff.

2. For those concerned about Smith, he is listed as recruiting coordinator as well.  Take it for what it's worth.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

rogersvillemohog

I am underwhelmed with the Mark Smith hire, but he does have strong connections with the high school coaches in Texas. He was a member of the Board of Directors for the THSCA and he was president of the North Texas Football Coaches Association. You don't get those honors without having the respect of your peers. There are plenty of other hires that would have excited me over Smith, but I'm willing to give him a chance. The guy could possibly be an ace recruiter. We'll just have to see, but I do share many of Wildhog's concerns.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

TebowHater

If we were going to hire a Smith to be a pure recruiter, we picked the wrong one. Should have been Michael Smith, a proven SEC recruiter who was the best recruiter we had had in years. Instead we are giving a try to someone who wasn't even good enough to be on Morris's staff at SMU.

Lack of special teams coach and the one defensive position coach not to have an assistant being the defensive coordinator are also questionable.

redhogchilipepper

Didn't Rhodes coach the DB's last year? Tons of  experience there and where did that get us?

TebowHater

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on January 10, 2018, 11:56:12 am
Didn't Rhodes coach the DB's last year? Tons of  experience there and where did that get us?

Our DB's improved drastically under Rhodes.

Wildhog

Quote from: TebowHater on January 10, 2018, 11:57:19 am
Our DB's improved drastically under Rhodes.

True story.  Rhoads was also a phenomenal DB recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on January 10, 2018, 11:56:12 am

The DBs were the best coached and recruited unit in the defense the last two years. Pulley's injury prevented that secondary from being a very special unit. And they did it all with basically no pressure on the QB.