Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB was vindicated tonight

Started by The OTR, January 08, 2018, 11:17:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 09, 2018, 07:32:33 am
We really need to have a sarcasm emoji.  There is no way this is a serious thread, right?
Skandar only comes out of the tavern to troll.

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 08, 2018, 11:35:22 pm
Cheney and Pittman did not lose the game. They both coached a great game.
The game was won by Nick Saban who put a true freshman in the game. A freshman I might add who is a phenomenal passer. Did you notice how he never stared a reciever down. Did you hear him say he looked the safety away on the winning pass. I was really impressed and those who voted him MVP were as well. He showed maturity beyond his years. He deserves congratulations.
This. Nick isn't going anywhere as long as that young man is around.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 09, 2018, 07:58:37 am
Sam had a pretty good season.
I can't hate on him or Chaney. I won't even hate on BB; he didn't win here but seems like a good person and we've moved on.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 08:02:35 am
I can't hate on him or Chaney. I won't even hate on BB; he didn't win here but seems like a good person and we've moved on.
Not all of us. A few of us still have issue with the inner workings of the program under his "leadership", some of his decisions, and a few other things
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Athog

Mjs84

Hogarusa

Odd to see that some think the coach with a 15 million buyout for getting fired would be happier than the coaches in the national title game. Priorities
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hoggish1

aloha_kid

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 11:24:40 pm
Yep - CBB is jobless and getting PAID $$$$$$.  Not a bad place to be, 

FIFY

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 09, 2018, 08:12:12 am
Not all of us. A few of us still have issue with the inner workings of the program under his "leadership", some of his decisions, and a few other things
Ok. Then I'll change "we've moved on" to "we fired his arse and hired a new coach and the sane fans dgaf about BB anymore"

LRHawg

Pittman's recruiting at GA just shows the huge hurdle we have to overcome. He is doing twice as good there, with probably half the effort.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 08:02:35 am

You've kinda summed up everything in that statement.  If I disliked the staff or guys that have come and gone since my son joined the team, the change would be easier.  But I genuinely liked Pittman, Enos, Anderson, and Bielema.  The reason is didn't work out can be described as Darwinian. The game and the approach to the game evolved, and they did not.  Their way died out.  It's just the way it is.  You are absolutely correct that it is time to move on.

I had a 9 page post about what I thought went wrong.  Before I posted it, I showed it to my son.  He told me two things. 
#1 was that it was time to move on.  The page was turned and anything that happened in the last five years didn't mean anything anymore.
#2 was he reminded me of when I coached his little league team.  How frustrated I would get when parents would come to me and tell me where their son should be playing and how good they were despite the fact they'd never even stayed to watch a practice.  He told me that if I posted that, I, like most of HOGVILLE, would be THOSE parents.  Speaking out when you didn't know  all the facts.  Nice to be humbled by your 20 year old.  That's why I never posted what I'd talked about in December. 

The players have moved on and theFlyingHog you are right.  It's time to run the page and move on.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BallHog1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 09, 2018, 09:00:54 am
You've kinda summed up everything in that statement.  If I disliked the staff or guys that have come and gone since my son joined the team, the change would be easier.  But I genuinely liked Pittman, Enos, Anderson, and Bielema.  The reason is didn't work out can be described as Darwinian. The game and the approach to the game evolved, and they did not.  Their way died out.  It's just the way it is.  You are absolutely correct that it is time to move on.

I had a 9 page post about what I thought went wrong.  Before I posted it, I showed it to my son.  He told me two things. 
#1 was that it was time to move on.  The page was turned and anything that happened in the last five years didn't mean anything anymore.
#2 was he reminded me of when I coached his little league team.  How frustrated I would get when parents would come to me and tell me where their son should be playing and how good they were despite the fact they'd never even stayed to watch a practice.  He told me that if I posted that, I, like most of HOGVILLE, would be THOSE parents.  Speaking out when you didn't know  all the facts.  Nice to be humbled by your 20 year old.  That's why I never posted what I'd talked about in December. 

The players have moved on and theFlyingHog you are right.  It's time to run the page and move on.
Your son is wise beyond about 95% of HV members.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

liljo

;) ;D
Quote from: twistitup on January 09, 2018, 07:42:16 am
Pitt, Chaney are worthless....look how much better off we are w/o them

No doubt, man!

I started at the top of this thread and have just shook my head in disbelief. The OP appears to be trying to rub Georgia's loss, in overtime, to the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, in the National Championship game in Kirby Smart's SECOND YEAR at Georgia, into the faces of a couple of ex-coaches from BB's staff at Arkansas...

I get that BB's millions he received from Arkansas are a hard pill to swallow. That contract he had in place pretty much took all incentive to win out of the equation. If I had such a buyout in place at my job, it would be real hard for me to deal with...difficult people...I'd pretty much dare them to fire me, too. That's what BB did.

Yes, Chaney and Pittman are two highly recognized, successful, and skilled coaches. Yes, they were part of the team that lost that game last night. But if Jeff Long and Brett Bielema are laughing about ANYTHING concerning College football, it is the apparently bottomless amount of sheer stupidity they've encountered while crafting their fortunes in connection with the University of Arkansas.

We are light years behind Alabama and Georgia. I can only hope the coaching staff being assembled now has whatever it takes to help us close the gap on those two teams.

Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

greenie

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 11:40:11 pm
Enos has been jobless for a month or so - he's been there for the taking.

Didn't Smart try to hire Enos before hiring Chaney?  At least that's my memory, and I think that was the point.

I'd take Enos every day before Chaney. I know Pittman is a stud coach and recruiter, but for some reason he mailed it in the last year or so at Arkansas.  CBB likely got under his skin, or was interfering with the ChaneyPittman bromance.

Regardless, CBB, Chaney, and Pittman are all doing fine.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Diito. Though sometimes I really want to  :-X
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoglady

Quote from: greenie on January 09, 2018, 09:27:16 am
Didn't Smart try to hire Enos before hiring Chaney?  At least that's my memory, and I think that was the point.

I'd take Enos every day before Chaney. I know Pittman is a stud coach and recruiter, but for some reason he mailed it in the last year or so at Arkansas.  CBB likely got under his skin, or was interfering with the ChaneyPittman bromance.

From a monetary stand point yes they are.
From a coaching career standpoint CBB is probably going to have a hard time finding a decent P5 job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

oldhawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 08, 2018, 11:37:27 pm
Never come close...

Never come close? 

In 2006 Wisconsin lost to Ohio State in overtime (Wisconsin's only lose of the season).  Ohio State went on to play Florida for the FBS national championship.

Does not make Bielema a better coach, but sometimes the stars do align themselves perfectly.

I didn't see anything wrong with the coaching on either side last night.  I did see some calls that didn't seem to be what should have been called but most of those came from the BAMA OC.

Likely the largest difference in those 2 teams was the recruiting over the past 4 or 5 years.  BAMA has 37 High School All Americans on their current team.  OK, Clemson and Georgia, combined, has 32. 

The fact that Saban made the call to go to a Freshman QB to start the 2nd half come from him knowing his team, working his ass off, doing his job as it should be done.  If you will note, he or the OC also went with other Freshmen in the 2nd half.  Those fresh legs on talented Kids looked good against a defense that already had 30+ plays on their bodies.  The left hand QB was going to So. Cal. until Saban had a chat with him.  He flipped him.  After that  major sack on 1st down, to have that OC and the QB and that freshman WR come right back and throw and catch that TD pass shows you what BAMA has on its bench.  You can also note that the bench players knew what to do and did it.  It should be noted that the best team won the game.  What is surprising is that Georgia lasted as long as they did.  Smart has done a 2 year tremendous job at that school. 

Georgia became a quarter step slower as the game wore them down.  Fromm started feeling the pressure just a bit.  The coaches were forced to try changes they likely would rather not have to try. 

In the end, trying to say anything bad about Chaney and Pittman for any reason is just wrong.  Those Guys managed to be on 1 of 2 staffs that got to play in the last game of the college season.  That tells you all you need to know.

The OTR

I've never seen so many contrary people in one thread in my life.

We rid ourselves of two anvils around our necks at the right time and while a lot of you might not like CBB I think we can all agree that he knew what he was doing dumping these two mallet heads.

Had they stayed around and had we gotten to the title game those two would have blown the lead for us like they did last night.  I'd rather be where we are starting over than dealing with a melt down like GA had last night due to two people who are masters of letting victory slip through their fingers like those two did.  They had a national championship and next thing you know Alabama ties them up and wins in OT.  Sad and funny but mostly sad for GA. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 08, 2018, 11:25:38 pm
That's kind of an odd way to look at it.
Odd to you perhaps; however, please tell us what she said isn't true ??? ::) The proof is who was on the staff of one of the teams playing for the NC last night.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 09, 2018, 09:54:18 am

We rid ourselves of two anvils around our necks at the right time and while a lot of you might not like CBB I think we can all agree that he knew what he was doing dumping these two mallet heads.

Had they stayed around and had we gotten to the title game those two would have blown the lead for us like they did last night.  I'd rather be where we are starting over than dealing with a melt down like GA had last night due to two people who are masters of letting victory slip through their fingers like those two did.  They had a national championship and next thing you know Alabama ties them up and wins in OT.  Sad and funny but mostly sad for GA.
First of all HAD they stayed and we had gotten to a NC game their contribution would have been obvious. I have no "axe to grind" one way or another in terms of their having stayed or left; however, to blame what happen to UGA last night TOTALLY and COMPLETELY on Chaney and Pittman is ludicrous. Remember that like any story there are two sides-in this case offense AND defense. UGA's defense let the Tide score and get back into the game.

I wondered what happened to FOTH and his writ.  Glad he explained.  I question where he says THEY didn't evolve.  I think the HC didn't evolve but those other Guys were doing as told or should have been.  And I believe Bret was going with what he truly believed was the right scheme.  A scheme he felt good with.  The very fact that Chaney and Pittman are now having success, I believe, proves my point.  I will say, I believe Enos will find future success, we can all see if I am correct there.

Bret had problems upon arrival at Arkansas, kept those problems throughout his tenure at Arkansas and it is to be seen if he can overcome HIS problems.  Bret Bielema entered the Bass Masters Classic with a cane pole and 1 earthworm for bait, having done well fishing in a small pond in Wisconsin against a few local Kids. He parlayed that into the largest payday the Classic has ever seen even though he never caught a fish. 

Skandar, I often like what you post but concerning this thread name, you are as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey.

STLhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL
Thanks for finally closing the loop on that.  I have been wondering about it...

Vantage 8 dude

FOTH, as always your posts and observations make so much sense and offer a level-headed approach to a site that can often be filled with mindless rants and ludicrous accusations. Yep, time to learn from the past, hopefully correct the mistakes we've made and begin to build for the future. My own son has recently reminded me that we can truly live in only one time period at a time-the past (which we can't ever go back and change), the future (which we can only hope to live to the best of our ability) or the present (where we can actually influence to some degree what happens to us). Living totally in the former two is foolish 'cause if we're doing so we don't have time to enjoy and "here and now". Learn from the past, plan/build for the future but live and appreciate what's going on in our lives today.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 12247 on January 09, 2018, 10:07:03 am
I wondered what happened to FOTH and his writ.  Glad he explained.  I question where he says THEY didn't evolve.  I think the HC didn't evolve but those other Guys were doing as told or should have been.  And I believe Bret was going with what he truly believed was the right scheme.  A scheme he felt good with.  The very fact that Chaney and Pittman are now having success, I believe, proves my point.  I will say, I believe Enos will find future success, we can all see if I am correct there.

Here's what I meant by "evolve".  Every D-1 coach I've ever talked to had a certain air about them.  Call it type A personality, bravado, confidence or even cockiness, they have something that a lot of other people don't.  Sometimes that mentality give people tunnel vision and hey won't deviate from what's right in front of them not matter what is happening around them.  When Enos came, I was excited.  I thought his wide open, multiple formation, motion and shifting concepts he ran at Central Michigan would level the playing field for Arkansas against teams that were simply more physically talented.  I've seen his playbook.  It's been on my dining table.  Arkansas dint run half of it while he was here.  The same can be said for the 3-4 under Rhoads.  Blitz packages that I saw at practice never made it to Saturday.  It was bend but don't break on defense and power running straight at people and play action on offense.  I think there was a huge disconnect from what they wanted to do and what hey were expected to do.  I've used the metaphor that some coaches say "don't let go of the rope"  Arkansas had no rope.  They had a spiderweb.  Everything pulling in different directions and when one strand breaks, it comes crashing down.  It ended up costing everyone their jobs.  The only positive to take from it is the fact they had been building a team that actually is a better fit for Morris' system.  The transition may take less time than people think.  Even if t takes a while, it's a more exciting type of football that will be more fun for fans to watch

The OTR

Quote from: 12247 on January 09, 2018, 10:10:27 am
Skandar, I often like what you post but concerning this thread name, you are as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey.

Sorry you don't approve. Seems crazy that people have a different way of looking at this but I guess they do.  I am not in the mood to scold anyone for wrong headed thinking but I can get in the mood if people don't realize that could have been US last night blowing the championship with those two guys.  Not sure what is so hard to understand. 

CBB had plenty of meltdowns during his tenure here.  Now we know why for a good portion of them anyway....Pittman and Cheney.

They'll be out of football in three years. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 09, 2018, 10:26:11 am
Sorry you don't approve. Seems crazy that people have a different way of looking at this but I guess they do.  I am not in the mood to scold anyone for wrong headed thinking but I can get in the mood if people don't realize that could have been US last night blowing the championship with those two guys.  Not sure what is so hard to understand. 

CBB had plenty of meltdowns during his tenure here.  Now we know why for a good portion of them anyway....Pittman and Cheney.

They'll be out of football in three years.

If you aren't trolling you are a special kind of stupid. Impressively dense even for hogville.

liljo

Quote from: 12247 on January 09, 2018, 10:07:03 am

Bret had problems upon arrival at Arkansas, kept those problems throughout his tenure at Arkansas and it is to be seen if he can overcome HIS problems.  Bret Bielema entered the Bass Masters Classic with a cane pole and 1 earthworm for bait, having done well fishing in a small pond in Wisconsin against a few local Kids. He parlayed that into the largest payday the Classic has ever seen even though he never caught a fish.

TOUCHDOWN! ! !
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

PonderinHog

Finding this post in a SkandOTR AkbOTR thread is like finding a diamond in a donkey's ass! 

Thanks and a very wise decision on your part!

010HogFan

He didn't "dump" Pittman. The convoy of he and his players that went to the man's house in the middle of the night begging him to stay and shedding tears along the way says otherwise. What a dumb post.

ballz2thewall

georgia's final offensive series when they still had the lead was a disaster in play calling.

it was a departure from the rhythm of the game and of the pattern that was established and working.

it was also very recognizable.

however, georgia played a fine game and had a great season.
The rest of the frog.

PorkSoda

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 09, 2018, 07:32:33 am
We really need to have a sarcasm emoji.  There is no way this is a serious thread, right?
you can tell by who started the thred to know if its serious or not.  This thread is obviously not serious
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Science Fiction Greg

I'd be surprised if anyone but the OP is amused at all by this thread.  This kind of stupid trolling shouldn't be allowed.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dirty

Chaney started playing conservative, like here.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 08, 2018, 11:28:47 pm
Probably the guy getting paid more than both of them combined, to just watch the game they blew.
the same guy who put on 150 lbs in the 5 years he was here...the same guy who only had Fayetteville High School quarterbacks while he was here...the same guy who was a drunkard and everyone knew it...strange how our University gets fleeced for millions of dollars and you take up for the guy doing the fleecing...if you are a Razorback fan, I'd hate to see a real turncoat...Bielema was a drunk, no working, no recruiting (except for Fayetteville High) loser of a coach who was beaten by teams that would have never touched Arkansas had any other past Hog coach excluding Jack Crow had been here....you are unbelievable in the way you take up for a man who has ruined our program for years to come
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

010HogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 09, 2018, 11:27:33 am
the same guy who put on 150 lbs in the 5 years he was here...the same guy who only had Fayetteville High School quarterbacks while he was here...the same guy who was a drunkard and everyone knew it...strange how our University gets fleeced for millions of dollars and you take up for the guy doing the fleecing...if you are a Razorback fan, I'd hate to see a real turncoat...Bielema was a drunk, no working, no recruiting (except for Fayetteville High) loser of a coach who was beaten by teams that would have never touched Arkansas had any other past Hog coach excluding Jack Crow had been here....you are unbelievable in the way you take up for a man who has ruined our program for years to come

This. highly overrated coach with a paper tiger resume

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 09, 2018, 11:27:33 am

I'd have to disagree with you on the recruiting.  I keep hearing this as a knock against Bielema, but you only have to look at the numbers to see that he out-recruited his predecessors on average and recruited either better than, or right at where we have been recruiting during our time in the SEC since these kind of records have been kept. I can't speak for how the talent was managed, but he was not a bad recruiter.  Also I don't know about him being a drunk.  That's a new one on me.  I knew he drank as do I and most folks I know,  but I didn't know he was a "drunkard".   

BallHog1

Correct, we were lucky to get rid of them when we did.

010HogFan

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 09, 2018, 11:48:01 am
I'd have to disagree with you on the recruiting.  I keep hearing this as a knock against Bielema, but you only have to look at the numbers to see that he out-recruited his predecessors on average and recruited either better than, or right at where we have been recruiting during our time in the SEC since these kind of records have been kept. I can't speak for how the talent was managed, but he was not a bad recruiter.  Also I don't know about him being a drunk.  That's a new one on me.  I knew he drank as do I and most folks I know,  but I didn't know he was a "drunkard".   

Definitely well-known that he can put down some alcohol dating back to his Wiscy days, and that he was a Dickson street legend

Paul

Quote from: greenie on January 09, 2018, 09:27:16 am

Yes, right after Smart took the job, he tried to hire Enos put the non-compete clause precluded that

Sourpuss

Hard to argue with this pure and simple logic...

buldozer

Coach pittman was and is a very good coach. Chaney was like CBB, unwilling to change..... Good riddance!

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 11:30:22 pm
Give that Bama freshman QB some credit for actually changing the dynamic of that game in the 2nd half.

I agree. Saban showed why he has all those championships. He had a secret weapon who wasn't in the scouting report and that Georgia had no tendencies to  read on. Brilliant move.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 09, 2018, 11:51:09 am
Definitely well-known that he can put down some alcohol dating back to his Wiscy days, and that he was a Dickson street legend

Maybe I just have different definitions of what a drunk is?  I mean I like a drink as much as the next guy.  I think of a drunk as someone who is able to do his job, maintain a family etc.  Is that what's being implied and I'm just missing it, that he was such a drunk, it impacted his coaching? I guess that could be the case but I find it hard to believe he was that much of a drunk and being such a public figure there aren't any embarrassing pictures or video from his time on the hill.

greenie

Quote from: Captain Hogthrob on January 09, 2018, 12:36:52 pm
I agree. Saban showed why he has all those championships. He had a secret weapon who wasn't in the scouting report and that Georgia had no tendencies to  read on. Brilliant move.

Agreed. He's proven himself time and again.

Similarly, the Bama boosters sure know how to give Saban far more talent than anyone else.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on January 09, 2018, 09:40:45 am
From a monetary stand point yes they are.
From a coaching career standpoint CBB is probably going to have a hard time finding a decent P5 job.

A lot of people retire on a lot less than 15 million, PLUS what he had already earned that might be in the bank or investments drawing interest.  And just because his agreement that he has to seek employment I haven't heard anything that says he has to accept any employment. Heck I've hired and fired a lot of people. One time I remember someone actually came to my place and applied for a job. I was going to interview them BUT they then told me they were required to look for work but didn't actually want a job there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi