Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's going to take a lot

Started by Snout team, January 08, 2018, 10:30:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 09, 2018, 12:30:55 pm
Does that mean Burks has off the charts "trying ability"?

No he means he's a bad man
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HeyHogs

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on January 08, 2018, 11:11:49 pm
UCF could hang and beat either of these teams. GEORGIA JUST LOST TO THE TIDE'S BACK UP QUARTERBACK WHO'S NOT PLAYED A MEANINGFUL SNAP ALL YEAR - but somehow UCF with arguably the second best QB in football and definitely a top 5er couldn't hang with them. Sure thing there buddy.
You are getting mileage out of your UCF jokes! 🤪

HogWilde

I don't know why so many posters on here think it's all about having 5-star recruits and winning national championships. There is WAY more to college football than that. I look at Razorback football as my life. It's entertainment and something to follow as a TRUE fan. You enjoy the good times and strive to get better through the bad. You celebrate big wins and look forward to returning to somewhat of a national power. It doesn't matter one bit if we don't play for a national championship. Arkansas athletics overall is an elite program, year after year. We play in the toughest division in the toughest conference. We are on National TV week after week. I would take losing to Alabama on national tv any day than beating Okie State or Baylor and no one sees it much less cares. Some of you on here just need to find another team to either root for or rip on. It's really sad.
Jonathan "Hog" Wilde

AirWarren

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 12:20:16 pm
Speaking of......

Saban leaves.

Bama hires Dabo.

Morris to Clemson.

I said this same thing the other day, lol

Stepping stone program.

RME

Quote from: HogWilde on January 09, 2018, 01:44:14 pm
I don't know why so many posters on here think it's all about having 5-star recruits and winning national championships. There is WAY more to college football than that. I look at Razorback football as my life. It's entertainment and something to follow as a TRUE fan. You enjoy the good times and strive to get better through the bad. You celebrate big wins and look forward to returning to somewhat of a national power. It doesn't matter one bit if we don't play for a national championship. Arkansas athletics overall is an elite program, year after year. We play in the toughest division in the toughest conference. We are on National TV week after week. I would take losing to Alabama on national tv any day than beating Okie State or Baylor and no one sees it much less cares. Some of you on here just need to find another team to either root for or rip on. It's really sad.

You actually, legitimately just said you'd take an L over a W.

I quit. This site is insanity.

wildturkey8

Dabo would be wise to stay at Clemson. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 12:29:12 pm

He had 5* measurables only

Burks woulda started for Bama or Ga last night.  As a HS jr.

Do you actually believe this? Sheeeeeeshhhhh

311Hog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:51:21 pm

i do

Burks is the level of athlete that would start for Bama. Sure time could prove otherwise but right now yes.

Burks is the kind of player that could make a Dmac like impact on the Hog football program the dude is a monster.  Just gotta stay healthy and hopefully stay home.

Legit 5 star players stand out like a sore thumb when on teams that are not comprised of 4 and 5 star players.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawgon on January 09, 2018, 12:31:11 pm
The good news is that most years you don't need a team with that many athletes.  Saban has really skewed the way we look at things.  What he does over and over every year is just amazing.  Several coaches like Miles and Richt could put together the talent.  But they weren't as good at coaching.  Lots of guys are great coaches, but they can't get that much talent.  Some, like Spurrier can put both talent and coaching together for a nice run of a few years.  But Saban?  He has been doing this for pretty much a decade.  It is truly unprecedented.

All that said, OU nearly beat Georgia.  And I have no doubt that we can be absolutely as good as OU on offense.  And like most teams and unlike those two last night, OU has mere mortals in defense.  They weren't quite good enough, but it easily could have been Bama and OU playing last night.  That is the formula.  Our biggest hurdle right now is being in the same division as Saban.  But when he retires in a few, they won't be able to keep at him he same level and things will open up a little.

I believe 7 of their starting 11 on D were former four/five stars; I could be wrong but I can't ever remember an Arkansas defense having that kind of pedigree. Obviously recruiting rankings doesn't automatically mean studs and therefore wins, but acting like OU was devoid of talent isn't exactly accurate.

311Hog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:55:48 pm
I believe 7 of their starting 11 on D were former four/five stars; I could be wrong but I can't ever remember an Arkansas defense having that kind of pedigree. Obviously recruiting rankings doesn't automatically mean studs and therefore wins, but acting like OU was devoid of talent isn't exactly accurate.

Bama really is loaded down with 4 and 5 star talent. I mean the game winning play was a 5 star WR catching a ball from a 5 star QB being protected by a 5 Star LT with a 5 star RB next to him all true freshman all non starters lol.

steveaustin69

Wow. Just wow.

Busta_Nutt

I have to know your thought process on this. Please, fill us all in. I'm on the edge of my seat over here.

hawgon

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:55:48 pm

Who says OU is devoid of talent on defense?  That is an argument no one would make, unless like you, one is erecting a straw man to knock down.  It's just that they are several notches below those teams last night and yet, they were still almost there.

If you can get the athletes to be five star across the board AND match that with superior coaching, it is well nigh unbeatable.  On the other hand, there are other ways to skin the cat and Bama has to slip someday. 

Ten years ago all they talked about was parity in college football and they said there would never be any dynasties like there used to be.  Now, no one talks about parity and Saban has engineered the greatest dynasty of all time.

RIGHT NOW this Bama model is an anomaly.  It will end and things will go back to more like they were when we were Clint Stoerner turnover from beating the national champions.  Or, 2006 when even after a bad opening loss, we went on a run and had our path clear to the NC game if Nutt hadn't gone crazy. Or even 2010 where we played tremendously exciting games in doubt right up until the end against the best two teams in the country and the NC winner.

IronHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:51:21 pm

Yes.  He's that Madre Hill, McFadden type freak Arkansas turns out occasionally

He'd play SEC football right now....

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on January 09, 2018, 02:10:15 pm
Who says OU is devoid of talent on defense?  That is an argument no one would make, unless like you, one is erecting a straw man to knock down.  It's just that they are several notches below those teams last night and yet, they were still almost there.

If you can get the athletes to be five star across the board AND match that with superior coaching, it is well nigh unbeatable.  On the other hand, there are other ways to skin the cat and Bama has to slip someday. 

Ten years ago all they talked about was parity in college football and they said there would never be any dynasties like there used to be.  Now, no one talks about parity and Saban has engineered the greatest dynasty of all time.

RIGHT NOW this Bama model is an anomaly.  It will end and things will go back to more like they were when we were Clint Stoerner turnover from beating the national champions.  Or, 2006 when even after a bad opening loss, we went on a run and had our path clear to the NC game if Nutt hadn't gone crazy. Or even 2010 where we played tremendously exciting games in doubt right up until the end against the best two teams in the country and the NC winner.

Texas HS football is turing out soft defenders

Few pass rushers and CBs and not much else

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawgon on January 09, 2018, 02:10:15 pm

I'm saying even w superior talent on D to Arkansas OU still came up short.

hawgon

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 02:13:38 pm

So?  They were literally one play, one first down even, from being there last night.  And I should hope they have superior talent the worst defense in Arkansas history.  The point is, Arkansas has in the recent past, the Nutt team with Chris Houston on it comes to mind, had teams with as much defensive talent as that OU team has.

If the standard is Saban's Alabama, we and nearly every other team should just quit football.  If in the other hand, the standard is good enough to get that cat skinned some other way, we can do it.

HogWilde

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 09, 2018, 02:06:27 pm
I have to know your thought process on this. Please, fill us all in. I'm on the edge of my seat over here.

I said, I would rather lose to Alabama, playing a game in the national spotlight rather than some BS win that no one cares about. I like knowing that my friends from around the country are watching Arkansas play a perennial powerhouse and sometimes, we pull off a big win and it's great. No, I don't like losing but I also enjoy a good game, win or lose. That's part of life and part of being a FAN. Playing in the SEC is a privilege, we are one of 14 teams fortunate enough to do so. Yes I would be happy with a 9-10 win season. PERIOD.
Jonathan "Hog" Wilde

IronHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 02:13:38 pm

Recruiting Texas ain't gonna win the SEC west

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 01:55:11 pm
i do

Burks is the level of athlete that would start for Bama. Sure time could prove otherwise but right now yes.

Burks is the kind of player that could make a Dmac like impact on the Hog football program the dude is a monster.  Just gotta stay healthy and hopefully stay home.

Legit 5 star players stand out like a sore thumb when on teams that are not comprised of 4 and 5 star players.

Burks is an Alabama type defensive player. That happens to be an even better receiver..lol

311Hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 09, 2018, 02:24:39 pm
Burks is an Alabama type defensive player. That happens to be an even better receiver..lol

i think he can pick his position. but yeah Saban is the kind of guy that would put him on D. God i hope he comes here i loved watching Madre play for the hogs to bad about his knees.

Grizzlyfan

RME

Quote from: HogWilde on January 09, 2018, 02:22:10 pm
I said, I would rather lose to Alabama, playing a game in the national spotlight rather than some BS win that no one cares about. I like knowing that my friends from around the country are watching Arkansas play a perennial powerhouse and sometimes, we pull off a big win and it's great. No, I don't like losing but I also enjoy a good game, win or lose. That's part of life and part of being a FAN. Playing in the SEC is a privilege, we are one of 14 teams fortunate enough to do so. Yes I would be happy with a 9-10 win season. PERIOD.

So...again...you just said you'd take an Arkansas Razorbacks loss over a win.

Is it fall yet?

Pudgepork

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 02:11:40 pm

Yes.  He's that Madre Hill, McFadden type freak Arkansas turns out occasionally

He'd play SEC football right now....

He'd outrun Tanner English even while stopping to help little old ladies across streets

wildturkey8

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 08:22:16 am
But the knock on Richt was always that he had the players like Bama but did not know what to do with them.
Oh no school is better positioned for recruiting like UGA but they have underachieved over the years.

HogWilde

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:27:36 pm

Is it fall yet?

You can't win em all, even though I wish we could.
Jonathan "Hog" Wilde

Busta_Nutt

I'm not sure who your friends are, but I can almost guarantee that they're not going to watch Alabama vs. a mediocre, at best, Arkansas team, unless they are from the state and/or went to the University. Saying you'd rather lose to Alabama than win against Ok. State, who, by the way, has a very strong program, is absolutely preposterous. Good day, sir.

steveaustin69

I thought being a fan meant you wanted your team to win

wildturkey8

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:27:36 pm

Is it fall yet?
No he isn't taking a loss.  It's about being a competitor and beating or trying to beat the best.  Arkansas needs to start beating A&M again, dominate the Mississippi schools, and be right there with Auburn and LSU and we will be right there again.  Hootie was right there in 2006, we were close in 2010 and 2011.  It can be done.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:34:48 pm
No he isn't taking a loss.  It's about being a competitor and beating or trying to beat the best.

^key word in bold^ we just need to try harder

RME

IronHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 09, 2018, 02:24:39 pm

He's not Melvin Bradley scary but he's good

The great ones are easy to see

RME

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:34:48 pm
No he isn't taking a loss.  It's about being a competitor and beating or trying to beat the best.

Bro I dunno what you're reading but he legitimately said "I would rather lose to Alabama...than some BS win."

He's saying he'd rather lose an exciting game than win a boring one. Forgive me for wanting boring wins, not exciting losses.

Losing to Alabama is taking a loss. Losing means you lost. A loss is a loss.

Paul

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 02:12:57 pm

Texas HS football is turing out soft defenders

Few pass rushers and CBs and not much else
7 on 7 players?

wildturkey8

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:37:27 pm
Bro I dunno what you're reading but he legitimately said "I would rather lose to Alabama...than some BS win."

He's saying he'd rather lose an exciting game than win a boring one. Forgive me for wanting wins, not exciting losses.

Losing to Alabama is taking a loss. Losing means you lost. A loss is a loss.
To be a winner you have to take your shot against the best.  Even if it means the odds are against you.  You still win your share of games.  One other thing, I wouldn't mind seeing some that Ryan Mallet swag in our players.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:39:50 pm
To be a winner you have to take your shot against the best.  Even if it means the odds are against you.  You still win your share of games.

To be a winner you have to win. It's really not that deep.

RME

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:39:50 pm
To be a winner you have to take your shot against the best.  Even if it means the odds are against you.  You still win your share of games.

We take our shot against the best every week. Are we winners because of it?

You're one of those dudes who ride the SEC coattails, aren't you? Because somehow Alabama's success makes us better, right? Even though we went 4-8 and Alabama kicked our teeth in. Just like Clemson winning it all last year makes Wake Forest better.

You cannot spin this any other way, my man. You're saying you're okay with an exciting LOSS over a boring WIN.

That's mindblowing.

wildturkey8

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 02:42:05 pm
To be a winner you have to win. It's really not that deep.
You should copyright that.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:42:49 pm
You should copyright that.

You should revise your definition of winner

wildturkey8

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:42:14 pm
We take our shot against the best every week. Are we winners because of it?

You cannot spin this any other way, my man. You're saying you're okay with an exciting LOSS over a boring WIN.

That's mindblowing.
Not at all. I am not arguing with you anymore.  I want the Hogs to be competitive with the best. Would I trade Georgia's situation with a win over a podunk school in a podunk bowl.  No, I would not.

RME

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:44:17 pm
Not at all. I am not arguing with you anymore.  I want the Hogs to be competitive with the best.

So if we go 0-12 but lose each game by 1 point, you're good with that? By your statement, you would be.

Sorry, but...[CENSORED] that.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 02:36:36 pm

He's not Melvin Bradley scary but he's good

The great ones are easy to see

he will throw for 3000 yards next season

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:44:17 pm
Not at all. I am not arguing with you anymore. I want the Hogs to be competitive with the best.

This is wise.

wildturkey8

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:47:07 pm
So if we go 0-12 but lose each game by 1 point, you're good with that? By your statement, you would be.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:47:07 pm

No and you are being disingenuous.

RME

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:49:36 pm

I'm just trying to understand the mindset of someone who said they'd take an exciting loss for the Arkansas Razorbacks over a boring win for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

wildturkey8

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:52:06 pm
I'm just trying to understand the mindset of someone who said they'd take an exciting loss for the Arkansas Razorbacks over a boring win for the Arkansas Razorbacks.
It is obvious the subject matter is to complex for you.  Good day.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:49:36 pm

You said you would rather lose than win. I do not understand what planet you live on.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:53:11 pm

*too

how ironic

wildturkey8

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 02:53:16 pm
You said you would rather lose than win. I do not understand what planet you live on.
Quit being a pansy.

RME

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:53:11 pm

Ha, wins and losses aren't complex issues my man. They're pretty black and white.

I understand your point of view. About being competitive and playing the best. Cool, whatever. Bottom line is you're still saying you'd take an exciting loss over a boring win.

What's complex is someone advocating for losses over wins. I'll give you that one...that's the sign of a complex mind that I cannot, nor do I want to, comprehend.