Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-E-C Chant and Arkansas Razorbacks

Started by koreaben, January 08, 2018, 04:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

allredhog

Have any of you seen the 30 on 30 ESPN show about Herschel Walker?  They show Georgia players chanting SEC-SEC-SEC in the locker room after they beat Florida in 1980.  I was in Reunion Arena the day Arkansas fans started doing it but it was around long before that.
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

hogsanity

Quote from: allredhog on January 08, 2018, 01:55:18 pm
Have any of you seen the 30 on 30 ESPN show about Herschel Walker?  They show Georgia players chanting SEC-SEC-SEC in the locker room after they beat Florida in 1980.  I was in Reunion Arena the day Arkansas fans started doing it but it was around long before that.

GA was chanting it at another SEC team, probably because they just won the SEC Title maybe? This discussion is more to do with SEC fans chanting it at fans of teams from other leagues.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

allredhog

And Arkansas fans might have been the first fans to do it. I was just pointing out that has been done before in the conference.
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 08, 2018, 01:45:17 pm
I will be hoping for a loss by both teams tonight. If I had to choose one it might be Alabama.  Then Nick might decide to coach the NYG.

The SEC has screwed us just at the right times to keep us under their thumb...

I find myself in that situation often. Picking the lesser of 2 evils. If Bama winning again would hasten Saban's departure, I could lean that way.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Everyone has their reason for rooting or not for the SEC chant.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine.

We are a full member of the SEC.  This is our brotherhood.  We may fight, argue, cuss, and belittle our brothers but by damn, they are still our brothers and outsiders need to keep their mouths shut, their heads down and don't give any of us any crap.  I will chant the SEC chant and hope Arkansas does their part to make it a worthy chant.

Peter Porker

Quote from: 12247 on January 08, 2018, 07:38:48 pm
Everyone has their reason for rooting or not for the SEC chant.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine.

We are a full member of the SEC.  This is our brotherhood.  We may fight, argue, cuss, and belittle our brothers but by damn, they are still our brothers and outsiders need to keep their mouths Nba, their heads down and don't give any of us any crap.  I will chant the SEC chant and hope Arkansas does their part to make it a worthy chant.

That's where you're wrong. We aren't brothers. We are enemies. Bama doesn't love us. LSU doesn't love us. Auburn doesn't.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2018, 07:42:42 pm
That's where you're wrong. We aren't brothers. We are enemies. Bama doesn't love us. LSU doesn't love us. Auburn doesn't.

Well, actually, they kinda do like us. But not for the reason we want.

Cletus

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 08, 2018, 10:34:49 am
We went from the only school outside of the state of Texas in the SWC to being the only school west of the Mississippi River in the SEC, until Mizzou & TAMU came along.
Hmm. Last time I looked, Louisiana was West of the Mississippi :-\
See, what had happened was........

hawginbigd1

Hell i will go into the office in the morning chanting it. It just pisses off all the whorns, frogs, Bears, and guns up fans i work with.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 12:59:32 am
Hell i will go into the office in the morning chanting it. It just pisses off all the whorns, frogs, Bears, and guns up fans i work with.

4-8.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HighcountryHog

Quit being butt hurt over some random chant.  You've got bigger problems to deal with if something like bothers you so much.  Maybe you need to step away from sports fandom for a while.
no bumps, no fat chicks

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 08, 2018, 07:43:53 pm

Rent a win team, heck when a conference opponent picks you for their Homecoming it's about the biggest slap in the face you can receive.

Guess what, I didn't chant S E C once last night!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 08, 2018, 07:43:53 pm
same reason we "like" the Mississippi schools
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

LZH

Quote from: Cletus on January 09, 2018, 12:27:34 am
Hmm. Last time I looked, Louisiana was West of the Mississippi :-\

Fwiw, Baton Rouge is east of the river.

texhog

Being a Cowboys fan, If Philly wins the super bowl I think their fans should chant "NFC East; NFC East".  Because we're all for one and one for all right?

LZH

Quote from: texhog on January 09, 2018, 08:55:58 am
Being a Cowboys fan, If Philly wins the super bowl I think their fans should chant "NFC East; NFC East".  Because we're all for one and one for all right?

Right!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 09, 2018, 05:11:30 am
4-8.
So like i posted in another thread live in an area code outside the sec for the last 15 years and listen to the constant whining about  and  degrading of the sec. It will change the perspective of most. I do take a certain amount of pride that we compete against the best year in and year out, and every sport i pull for the sec. I don't remember who SC played in the FF but i guarantee you i didn't want whoever it was to beat them. I got exactly what i wanted from these playoffs, SEC dominated and Saban is 1 more championship closer to retirement.

Hoggish1

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2018, 08:44:44 am
Fwiw, Baton Rouge is east of the river.

Don't try to teach geography on Hogville it just messes them up...

bphi11ips

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2018, 07:42:42 pm

You're wrong.  SEC fans pull for each other when playing teams from out of conference.  There's no better place to see this in practice than Nashville, Tennessee.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 11:36:24 am
You're wrong.  SEC fans pull for each other when playing teams from out of conference.  There's no better place to see this in practice than Nashville, Tennessee.

I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan.

I'm not an SEC fan.

steveaustin69

Quote from: cjack on January 08, 2018, 08:14:11 am
I love it and remember the SEC chant against Texas.  People born in the SEC days probably don't understand the Texas hatred as much, but for me, the Longhorns will always be my biggest enemy.

Side note.

I'll be at the Missouri game with our high school basketball team and parents (16 total and first Razorback game for most).  I'll be wearing my upside down longhorns shirt.  Undefeated in it, so I feel like the basketball team needs it.  And yes, I'm superstitious.  It's probably the baseball brain I have.

Thank you for sharing

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 11:38:08 am

I'm not an SEC fan.

This x 1 billion. How does LSU, Bama, etc. being good help Arkansas in any way?

RME

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 11:42:19 am
This x 1 billion. How does LSU, Bama, etc. being good help Arkansas in any way?

Haven't you heard? We get some money for it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 09, 2018, 09:51:00 am
Don't try to teach geography on Hogville it just messes them up...
the statement, "Louisiana is west of the Mississippi"  which is about 95% true....yet since a minute part of Louisiana is east of the Mississippi a person claims a strong victory in the debate....typical Hogville
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 11:36:24 am

Yea, Nashville, Tn. Home of the bottom dwellers.

hawginbigd1

RME

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 09, 2018, 11:55:34 am
the statement, "Louisiana is west of the Mississippi"  which is about 95% true....yet since a minute part of Louisiana is east of the Mississippi a person claims a strong victory in the debate....typical Hogville

Yes! Strong victory...yaay me!

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 11:38:08 am

I'm not an SEC fan.

Fair enough.  I'll restate it.  Fans of a particular SEC team will pull for other SEC teams when they play opponents from out of conference.  They will do that in all sports.  Hogville jackwagons notwithstanding. 

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:07:32 pm
Fair enough.  I'll restate it.  Fans of a particular SEC team will pull for other SEC teams when they play opponents from out of conference.  They will do that in all sports.  Hogville jackwagons notwithstanding.

Am I a jackwagon because I don't want to see Alabama/Auburn/LSU/Texas A&M et al. (all teams that want to kick our teeth in year in and year out across all sports) have success?

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 12:08:59 pm
Am I a jackwagon because I don't want to see Alabama/Auburn/LSU/Texas A&M et al. (all teams that want to kick our teeth in year in and year out across all sports) have success?

Every fan of Alabama, Auburn and LSU I know, and I know a bunch, would pull for the Hogs against a non-conference opponent, and they would think you are a jackwagon if you don't do the same for them. 

If there are any A&M fans here I don't know them.  A&M fans have always been aliens where Razorbacks fans are concerned, though.  Nonetheless, I wanted the Aggies to beat UCLA and Wake Forest.  Rational people understand that what's good for the SEC is good for Arkansas.  Why do you think conferences exist?

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:20:57 pm
Every fan of Alabama, Auburn and LSU I know, and I know a bunch, would pull for the Hogs against a non-conference opponent, and they would think you are a jackwagon if you don't do the same for them. 

If there are any A&M fans here I don't know them.  A&M fans have always been aliens where Razorbacks fans are concerned, though.  Nonetheless, I wanted the Aggies to beat UCLA and Wake Forest.  Rational people understand that what's good for the SEC is good for Arkansas.  Why do you think conferences exist?

I'd argue it's a lot easier to cheer for lesser teams when your team has reached peak success in recent memory. I have no problem saying, "Hey I'd like to see Kentucky win this game." I don't consider Kentucky a threat. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are threats.

Alabama, Auburn, and LSU each won at least 9+ games this year, and one of those 9+ came against us.

How is losing to teams who go on and have great seasons good for us again?

buldozer

You never get to be the best by competing against inferior talent, no matter what the game. Moving to the SEC dramatically improved our programs... all of them, including football. So now we don't win a meaningless conference championship in football as often as we did in the SWC. So what, the SWC talent level was inferior compared to the SEC. If the ultimate goal is to win national championships, we have a much better chance in the SEC. Chances are when we finally do win an SEC conference title, we will be in the playoffs and have a shot at being national champs. Its not an accident that half of recent national champions are from the SEC, its because the level of the challengers that have to be overcome week to week  during the season prepare the eventual SEC champion for any possible challenge that may come up in the national title game.

Go Hogs!! Go SEC!!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 12:04:06 pm
Thanks for the fix.

When will those boatloads of money fix our win total?
When? I don't know, but it most likely will play a large part when it does happen.

RME

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 12:26:22 pm
When? I don't know, but it most likely will play a large part when it does happen.

"Most likely"

"When it does happen"

These mean nothing.

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 12:23:48 pm

So losing to sh***y teams is preferable?

RME

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2018, 12:30:48 pm
So losing to sh***y teams is preferable?

That's one way to look at it. Or you could look at it as beating those great teams when they're down. A loss to a great team and a loss to a ** team result in the same thing, don't they?

Some of you would rather lose to great teams and then root for those teams and ride their coattails because SEC! and because their success somehow helps us, than beat those same teams when they're down.

How does their success help us when they still kick our ass every year?

Justifying losses against great teams over wins against those same teams when they're down. Blows my mind.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 12:23:48 pm
I'd argue it's a lot easier to cheer for lesser teams when your team has reached peak success in recent memory. I have no problem saying, "Hey I'd like to see Kentucky win this game." I don't consider Kentucky a threat. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are threats.

Alabama, Auburn, and LSU each won at least 9+ games this year, and one of those 9+ came against us.

These people pull for any SEC team. I watched both playoff games with 6 guys - two Bama fans, two Arkansas fans (including myself), one Florida fan and one Tennessee fan. Every one of us pulled for Alabama and Georgia.

The only exception to this rule I've ever seen is that Alabama and Auburn fans hate each other enough that I've seen some refuse to pull for the other.

Your last question makes no sense. It's a nonsensical non sequitur.  No Arkansas loss helps Arkansas. No SEC out-of-conference loss does, either, except when it moves Arkansas up in the polls.

Peter Porker

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 12:34:01 pm
That's one way to look at it. Or you could look at it as beating those great teams when they're down. A loss to a great team and a loss to a ** team result in the same thing, don't they?

Some of you would rather lose to great teams and then root for those teams than beat those same teams when theyr'e down.

Justifying losses against great teams over wins against those same teams when they're down. Blows my mind.

That's total bunk. There's not a Razorbacks fan anywhere that doesn't love every single victory.

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 09, 2018, 12:34:39 pm
No, but beating them is.

That's exactly right. It's our job to win....blaming Alabama or LSU for our woes is misplaced.

RME

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2018, 12:38:28 pm
That's exactly right. It's our job to win....blaming Alabama or LSU for our woes is misplaced.

I'm not blaming them for our woes. But teams like Alabama and LSU getting richer does not help us. I don't understand why some of you think it does. It helps us get money. Okay, cool. I'm not gonna brag to the Clemson alum at the bar about the money the SEC gets us. As an alum and fan I wanna brag to him about wins and titles. I see those. I don't see any of the money.

What would have happened in 2011 if Alabama and LSU were down that year?

We had 2 losses. Alabama and LSU.
We were ranked #3. Behind Alabama and LSU.

But by all means, let me root for their success.

Paul

Paul

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:34:30 pm
These people pull for any SEC team. I watched both playoff games with 6 guys - two Bama fans, two Arkansas fans (including myself), one Florida fan and one Tennessee fan. Every one of us pulled for Alabama and Georgia.

The only exception to this rule I've ever seen is that Alabama and Auburn fans hate each other enough that I've seen some refuse to pull for the other.

Your last question makes no sense. It's a nonsensical non sequitur.  No Arkansas loss helps Arkansas. No SEC out-of-conference loss does, either, except when it moves Arkansas up in the polls.
aren't they all?

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:34:30 pm

It was rhetorical. That's how outlandish I find rooting for SEC teams who are already at the top. It's nonsensical to pull for teams who already have more success than we do and who beat us more years than not.

The reasons I've been given for cheering for the SEC are because other fanbases do it and because we get money. Not one of you has said how Alabama, Auburn, and LSU winning helps us.

Teams in our conference beating us doesn't result in wins. Money hasn't resulted in wins. You guys go ahead and ride the big boys' coattails. I'll cheer for whatever gets us the most wins.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 09, 2018, 12:52:52 pm
Think of what you just said in a business mindset.

You are in construction but you don't seem to be getting much business. But a couple of your competitors are getting a lot of jobs. You keep rooting for them to do well because it makes the "Construction Market" stronger. In the long run, how in the world does that help you make more money at the end of the day.

Same logic when you blindly root for anyone in the SEC to do well.

Poor analogy. SEC success puts money in Arkansas's pocket. Further, nothing that happens in an intersectional game is going to diminish Alabama's ability to recruit. If SEC loses regularly to OOC opponents, it loses stature and money. Arkansas is a better team in the SEC than it was in the SWC. It recruits better as an SEC member. What we need to do is win more head-to-head games with our SEC brethren, not pull for them to lose to outsiders, except where a loss has an immediate benefit to us in the rankings.

bphi11ips

steveaustin69

Quote from: buldozer on January 09, 2018, 12:24:04 pm
You never get to be the best by competing against inferior talent, no matter what the game. Moving to the SEC dramatically improved our programs... all of them, including football. So now we don't win a meaningless conference championship in football as often as we did in the SWC. So what, the SWC talent level was inferior compared to the SEC. If the ultimate goal is to win national championships, we have a much better chance in the SEC. Chances are when we finally do win an SEC conference title, we will be in the playoffs and have a shot at being national champs. Its not an accident that half of recent national champions are from the SEC, its because the level of the challengers that have to be overcome week to week  during the season prepare the eventual SEC champion for any possible challenge that may come up in the national title game.

Go Hogs!! Go SEC!!

26 years in the SEC and we've been to Atlanta three times, and got our teeth kicked in two of those three.  The top of the SEC is dominant because of fertile recruiting grounds and great coaching; not because they play elite competition week in week out. Bama pile driving a pathetic Arkansas team sure did prepare them for Clemson and UGA. Doubt they pull off those Ws without going through the gauntlet that is the SEC W.  Rooting for Alabama to win NCs which then helps them (and hurts us) in recruiting makes no sense.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 01:09:54 pm
Poor analogy. SEC success puts money in Arkansas's pocket. Further, nothing that happens in an intersectional game is going to diminish Alabama's ability to recruit. If SEC loses regularly to OOC opponents, it loses stature and money. Arkansas is a better team in the SEC than it was in the SWC. It recruits better as an SEC member. What we need to do is win more head-to-head games with our SEC brethren, not pull for them to lose to outsiders, except where a loss has an immediate benefit to us in the rankings.

How has that money translated to Ws? For all your ranting you never can answer that question

RME

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 09, 2018, 01:40:00 pm
How has that money translated to Ws? For all your ranting you never can answer that question

He can't. He'd rather attempt to find logical fallacies (while not understanding a rhetorical question) than to answer that question.

As I said, the justifications I've been given by the SEC chest-beaters are because other fanbases root for us (so what?) and because we receive good payouts from SEC money (spoiler alert: so does every other school in the conference. Yes, including those teams who are already reaching higher levels of success).

But, those two things translate to wins for us somehow. Alabama, LSU, and Auburn beating us more years than not and then receiving the same amount of money we do, plus more exposure when they play on a national scale, somehow helps the Arkansas Razorbacks win football games.

It's hilarious, honestly.