• 390,390 Topics
• 22,087 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: S-E-C Chant and Arkansas Razorbacks  (Read 3735 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: S-E-C Chant and Arkansas Razorbacks
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »

aren't they all?

Perhaps that was redundant.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »

You never get to be the best by competing against inferior talent, no matter what the game. Moving to the SEC dramatically improved our programs... all of them, including football. So now we don't win a meaningless conference championship in football as often as we did in the SWC. So what, the SWC talent level was inferior compared to the SEC. If the ultimate goal is to win national championships, we have a much better chance in the SEC. Chances are when we finally do win an SEC conference title, we will be in the playoffs and have a shot at being national champs. Its not an accident that half of recent national champions are from the SEC, its because the level of the challengers that have to be overcome week to week  during the season prepare the eventual SEC champion for any possible challenge that may come up in the national title game.

Go Hogs!! Go SEC!!

26 years in the SEC and we've been to Atlanta three times, and got our teeth kicked in two of those three.  The top of the SEC is dominant because of fertile recruiting grounds and great coaching; not because they play elite competition week in week out. Bama pile driving a pathetic Arkansas team sure did prepare them for Clemson and UGA. Doubt they pull off those Ws without going through the gauntlet that is the SEC W.  Rooting for Alabama to win NCs which then helps them (and hurts us) in recruiting makes no sense.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 01:40:00 pm »

Poor analogy. SEC success puts money in Arkansasís pocket. Further, nothing that happens in an intersectional game is going to diminish Alabamaís ability to recruit. If SEC loses regularly to OOC opponents, it loses stature and money. Arkansas is a better team in the SEC than it was in the SWC. It recruits better as an SEC member. What we need to do is win more head-to-head games with our SEC brethren, not pull for them to lose to outsiders, except where a loss has an immediate benefit to us in the rankings.

How has that money translated to Ws? For all your ranting you never can answer that question

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Why not?
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2018, 01:44:22 pm »

How has that money translated to Ws? For all your ranting you never can answer that question

He can't. He'd rather attempt to find logical fallacies (while not understanding a rhetorical question) than to answer that question.

As I said, the justifications I've been given by the SEC chest-beaters are because other fanbases root for us (so what?) and because we receive good payouts from SEC money (spoiler alert: so does every other school in the conference. Yes, including those teams who are already reaching higher levels of success).

But, those two things translate to wins for us somehow. Alabama, LSU, and Auburn beating us more years than not and then receiving the same amount of money we do, plus more exposure when they play on a national scale, somehow helps the Arkansas Razorbacks win football games.

It's hilarious, honestly.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »

W's don't matter as long as the SEC gets a championship!

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2018, 01:55:45 pm »

I donít think anyone has asked that question in this thread. The OP relates to the SEC chant, a regular seasonal topic on Hogville.

More money translates into things like the NEZ project. Arkansasís new player facilities will be new and up to the best SEC standards. Recruits are influenced by player facilities. They are expensive. Players win games. Players must be recruited.

Arkansas could win more games for less money with a different schedule. Would you rather compete in the SEC or the Mountain West?  If all SEC schools lost OOC and bowl games, the SEC would be equivalent to the Mountain West.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:47 pm »

I donít think anyone has asked that question in this thread. The OP relates to the SEC chant, a regular seasonal topic on Hogville.

More money translates into things like the NEZ project. Arkansasís new player facilities will be new and up to the best SEC standards. Recruits are influenced by player facilities. They are expensive. Players win games. Players must be recruited.

Arkansas could win more games for less money with a different schedule. Would you rather compete in the SEC or the Mountain West?  If all SEC schools lost OOC and bowl games, the SEC would be equivalent to the Mountain West.

Which one is easier to win in? I mean, that's what matters right? Our team winning? I'd trade what Boise did in the early 2000s vs anything we've done since joining the SEC.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:53 pm »

Again, we've been in the SEC for 26 years; how has all this money contributed to Ws?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2018, 02:03:45 pm »

Those teams who already kick our ass get that money too. Do they not invest in their facilities and constantly enhance and upgrade them?

If Arkansas was the only team that did that, you'd have an argument. But teams that beat us year in and year out also do it. They beat us then go win championships and invest in their stadium and facilities. Recruits see that, too.

Remind me how that helps us get more wins per year?

Busta_Nutt

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »

Those teams who already kick our ass get that money too. Do they not invest in their facilities and constantly enhance and upgrade them?

If Arkansas was the only team that did that, you'd have an argument. But teams that beat us year in and year out also do it. They beat us then go win championships and invest in their stadium and facilities. Recruits see that, too.

Remind me how that helps us get more wins per year?

No, they PAY their players! I'd rather play by the rules and lose with a clear conscience than cheat and win! MONEY, that's what the recruits see!

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »

Which one is easier to win in? I mean, that's what matters right? Our team winning? I'd trade what Boise did in the early 2000s vs anything we've done since joining the SEC.

So you, austin and ego are for moving to a lesser conference.  Start a poll and see how many here agree with you.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2018, 04:29:30 pm »

So you, austin and ego are for moving to a lesser conference.  Start a poll and see how many here agree with you.

You still have not answered how more $ = more Ws

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:59 pm »

Show me where I said this. I never did. I said rooting for teams in our own conference who are better than us doesn't make sense to me, given the two reasons that have been provided: other fanbases do it, and money.

Also show me where Alabama, Auburn, and LSU's success brings us more wins. You refuse to do so.

You do need help with your footwork --- it should help you tiptoe around answering direct questions.

You're a master at deflection and, rather than engage, you attempt to spin the narrative to fit your agenda --- and when that fails, you attempt to play me off as a defeatist, and say that I am advocating a move to a lesser conference, which I have not done.

If you're gonna lump me in with those guys, I'll lump you in with the posters in another thread who said they'd rather have an exciting loss to Alabama than a boring win over Oklahoma State. Yeah. We had guys on a Hog message board say they'd prefer a loss to an SEC school rather than a win over an outsider. I mean, you're an SEC-ist so surely you feel the same as them, right? Start a poll and see how many here would prefer a loss to a win. See, I can do it too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:46:21 pm by RyanMallettsEgo »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2018, 06:57:13 pm »

Show me where I said this. I never did. I said rooting for teams in our own conference who are better than us doesn't make sense to me, given the two reasons that have been provided: other fanbases do it, and money.

Also show me where Alabama, Auburn, and LSU's success brings us more wins. You refuse to do so.

You do need help with your footwork --- it should help you tiptoe around answering direct questions.

You're a master at deflection and, rather than engage, you attempt to spin the narrative to fit your agenda --- and when that fails, you attempt to play me off as a defeatist, and say that I am advocating a move to a lesser conference, which I have not done.

If you're gonna lump me in with those guys, I'll lump you in with the posters in another thread who said they'd rather have an exciting loss to Alabama than a boring win over Oklahoma State. Yeah. We had guys on a Hog message board say they'd prefer a loss to an SEC school rather than a win over an outsider. I mean, you're an SEC-ist so surely you feel the same as them, right? Start a poll and see how many here would prefer a loss to a win. See, I can do it too.

Neither you nor the other two make any sense.  I've said that money provides the facilities  to attract top talent.  Your response is that everyone does that.  So what?  Top coaches also attract top talent.  You have to pay those guys.  It takes money.

I don't know how many ways there are to say this - you can win more games with less money if you reduce the level of competition.  You want to be Boise State?  Fine.  Most Arkansas fans don't.

I never said more money = more wins.  That's a derail question but here's an extreme answer - you want Nick Saban?  At some point maybe he has a price.  Saban himself said he's not the best coach in college football, but he does claim to be the best recruiter.  There's eveidence to support that claim.  My guess is most here would agree Saban would win more games at Arkansas than any other coach we have had since joining the SEC.  Pay him whatever it will take. $25M/year?  Stupid response to a stupid question.

Hogville can be a place for meaningful discussion.  It can also be a place where one is best served by heeding the advice against arguing with idiots.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SEC chant threads are as old and predictable as GSD threads.  Your comments and others in this thread amount to nothing more than sour grapes.  Poor sportsmanship is one of the few things that are worse than losing.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2018, 07:55:46 pm »

Neither you nor the other two make any sense.  I've said that money provides the facilities  to attract top talent.  Your response is that everyone does that.  So what?  Top coaches also attract top talent.  You have to pay those guys.  It takes money.

I don't know how many ways there are to say this - you can win more games with less money if you reduce the level of competition.  You want to be Boise State?  Fine.  Most Arkansas fans don't.

I never said more money = more wins.  That's a derail question but here's an extreme answer - you want Nick Saban?  At some point maybe he has a price.  Saban himself said he's not the best coach in college football, but he does claim to be the best recruiter.  There's eveidence to support that claim.  My guess is most here would agree Saban would win more games at Arkansas than any other coach we have had since joining the SEC.  Pay him whatever it will take. $25M/year?  Stupid response to a stupid question.

Hogville can be a place for meaningful discussion.  It can also be a place where one is best served by heeding the advice against arguing with idiots.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SEC chant threads are as old and predictable as GSD threads.  Your comments and others in this thread amount to nothing more than sour grapes.  Poor sportsmanship is one of the few things that are worse than losing.

Attempting to hide your disdain and disagreement through thinly-veiled and upturned-nose ad hominems. Well done.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:16 pm »

Attempting to hide your disdain and disagreement through thinly-veiled and upturned-nose ad hominems. Well done.

Au contraire. My disdain was quite direct. Your jealousy of better programs stinks. Holding my nose.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2018, 09:19:27 pm »

It means UGA and Bama are superior. No one thinks Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Missouri, etc are football powerhouses because Bama wins national championships every other year.
Exactly.   It's about teams, not conferences.  If Bama switched to the ACC or Big 12 or Big ten they would still be very good.  If Mizzou or UK switched to the ACC or Big 10 they would still be mediocre. 

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2018, 10:14:57 pm »

You still have not answered how more $ = more Ws
Sure he did a couple times now, reading comprehension is your friend

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:21 pm »

I was at that Texas Arkansas game in War Memorial.  Was 10 years old.  One of the better memories I have about Arkansas football games. 

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 11:57:22 pm »

Au contraire. My disdain was quite direct. Your jealousy of better programs stinks. Holding my nose.

Finally, we agree. I am jealous of Alabama's success. If envying the success of an SEC West foe who's won 5 national championships in 11 years is a bad case of jealousy, then I've got a bad case of jealousy. I want that type of success for my alma mater. Who wouldn't?

Maybe you don't. And that's fine. You can be happy for Alabama winning another national championship while we go 4-8. Suit yourself. I'm not fine with that, but you can be. Keep givin' us those S-E-C checks, baby. They've given us just countless wins thus far.

Your cheering for programs who turn around and beat the hell out of us every year stinks.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 07:13:44 am »

Finally, we agree. I am jealous of Alabama's success. If envying the success of an SEC West foe who's won 5 national championships in 11 years is a bad case of jealousy, then I've got a bad case of jealousy. I want that type of success for my alma mater. Who wouldn't?

Maybe you don't. And that's fine. You can be happy for Alabama winning another national championship while we go 4-8. Suit yourself. I'm not fine with that, but you can be. Keep givin' us those S-E-C checks, baby. They've given us just countless wins thus far.

Your cheering for programs who turn around and beat the hell out of us every year stinks.

I answered a derail question. Here's one for you and your friends:  How do SEC losses in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:40 am »

I answered a derail question. Here's one for you and your friends:  How do SEC losses in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

How do SEC wins in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Why not?
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:16 am »

Yes, let's talk about derailing a thread when your response to my initial response of "I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. I'm not an SEC fan." was to quote me and lump me in with "Hogville jackwagons" simply because I shared a different opinion than you. There was no malice, vitriol, or snark in my initial response. I was stating a fact --- one that you think might be popular on an Arkansas Razorbacks message board (rooting for the Razorbacks? No way!). Then, the childish accusations occurred. So yeah. Derailment.

SEC losses in OOC games don't help the Razorbacks win. SEC losses in OOC games don't cause the Razorbacks lose. SEC wins in OOC games give our opponents more prestige, more exposure, and more money, all while we're playing Coastal Carolina on SEC Network Alternate at 11 AM. I'd say that's a detriment to us --- no?

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, et al beating Arkansas head to head causes the Razorbacks to lose. It's actually pretty simple when you boil it down.

Look no further than 2011, our best year in recent memory. 11-2. What two teams beat us? What two teams were ranked #1 and #2 while we were #3? Remind me of how Alabama and LSU being successful helps us again?

Had just one of those teams been down, we might have been playing for the national championship. But it doesn't matter to you. An SEC team won the national championship, which gave us a lot of money and gave you a reason to cheer them on while you formed a circle with your other SECers in Nashville.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 08:43:08 am »

Yes, let's talk about derailing a thread when your response to my initial response of "I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. I'm not an SEC fan." was to quote me and lump me in with "Hogville jackwagons" simply because I shared a different opinion than you. There was no malice, vitriol, or snark in my initial response. I was stating a fact --- one that you think might be popular on an Arkansas Razorbacks message board (rooting for the Razorbacks? No way!). Then, the childish accusations occurred. So yeah. Derailment.

SEC losses in OOC games don't help the Razorbacks win. SEC losses in OOC games don't cause the Razorbacks lose. SEC wins in OOC games give our opponents more prestige, more exposure, and more money, all while we're playing Coastal Carolina on SEC Network Alternate at 11 AM. I'd say that's a detriment to us --- no?

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, et al beating Arkansas head to head causes the Razorbacks to lose. It's actually pretty simple when you boil it down.

Look no further than 2011, our best year in recent memory. 11-2. What two teams beat us? What two teams were ranked #1 and #2 while we were #3? Remind me of how Alabama and LSU being successful helps us again?

Had just one of those teams been down, we might have been playing for the national championship. But it doesn't matter to you. An SEC team won the national championship, which gave us a lot of money and gave you a reason to cheer them on while you formed a circle with your other SECers in Nashville.

RIP In Peace Toddler from the 1950's

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:57 am »

How? We get better facilities? Guess what?  So does the rest of the SEC. How does that translate to Ws? It doesn't and hasn't.  Rooting for Alabama because it gives the SEC more money does NOTHING for Razorback wins and losses.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:09 am »

How do SEC wins in OOC games help the Razorbacks win?

They don't. Mind boggling this guy doesn't get that

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:18 am »

RIP In Peace Toddler from the 1950's

My, my. You kids are sick.

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

If there is a football game going on that the Razorbacks are not playing in, I'm rooting for the SEC team.  When bowl games are concerned, I'm rooting for the SEC team because they are from the SEC AND because their presence in said bowl game means $$$ to our (and all other SEC teams') bottom line.  When the conference is better, we are better off. 

And the conference has been very good for a very long time. Since the start of the BCS the SEC had a representative playing for the National Championship in
1998    2003    2006    2007    2008    2009    2010    2011    2012    2013    2015    2016    2017, and of those 13 times the SEC has won 11 of them.

The SEC has proven it's superiority over time at the highest level.

The question on the table is 'how does this translate into more wins for us?'  The short answers are, 'it doesn't' and 'it can't'.  Not directly.  It can't directly contribute to winning, as winning is not a commodity that can be directly purchased under NCAA rules,  but it can put us into a financial situation that will allow us to more effectively compete for players that may otherwise choose other schools by having better facilities for those players to use and play in.  Facility construction as a recruiting tool is an expensive bet, and does not, at the end of the day, trump good coaching. 

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:03 am »

Reading comprehension is an intangible skill that some(not including you)possess. I feel sorry for you if that is one of your friends.

Is Algebra or Calculus one of your friends as well? If so, please formulate an equation to express the direct relationship between money(specifically the amounts we receive from the SEC. The money from boosters such as Jerry Jones, Tyson, JB Hunt, etc. is not as effective) and wins/losses for the Arkansas football program.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:31 am »

If there is a football game going on that the Razorbacks are not playing in, I'm rooting for the SEC team.  When bowl games are concerned, I'm rooting for the SEC team because they are from the SEC AND because their presence in said bowl game means $$$ to our (and all other SEC teams') bottom line.  When the conference is better, we are better off. 

And the conference has been very good for a very long time. Since the start of the BCS the SEC had a representative playing for the National Championship in
1998    2003    2006    2007    2008    2009    2010    2011    2012    2013    2015    2016    2017, and of those 13 times the SEC has won 11 of them.

The question on the table is 'how does this translate into more wins for us?'  The short answers are, 'it doesn't' and 'it can't'.  Not directly.  It can't directly contribute to winning, as winning is not a commodity that can be directly purchased under NCAA rules,  but it can put us into a financial situation that will allow us to more effectively compete for players that may otherwise choose other schools by having better facilities for those players to use and play in.  Facility construction as a recruiting tool is an expensive bet, and does not, at the end of the day, trump good coaching.

In the SEC for 26 years w next to no big time success. Are we just acting like the last quarter century did not happen?  Bama winning and indirectly getting us more money does not translate to wins. Yeah sure, better facilities, more money; we've had that for a quarter century and what has that gotten us?  Rooting for the SEC does not make sense. I root for Arkansas

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:59 am »

My, my. You kids are sick.

Got a clean bill of health from the doctor last week, sir.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2018, 09:09:39 am »

I disagree

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:18 am »

Got a clean bill of health from the doctor last week, sir.

Glad to hear that steady drip finally stopped.

Busta_Nutt

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2018, 10:00:24 am »

Glad to hear that steady drip finally stopped.

Wild Bill Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2018, 01:45:08 pm »

That's right.  If it irritates Big 10, Big 12 and the Big whatever, I'm for it.

Spot on.

Justagp

• Senior
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:26 pm »

Interesting story about the S-E-C chant.
Rittenberg writes good pieces.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21994162/history-fun-obnoxious-inescapable-sec-football-chant
Thank you for sharing this! Who would have ever guessed it began with our Hogs - got to love it!

Justagp

• Senior
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:59 pm »

Agree

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas