Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expectations

Started by hawgfan4life, January 06, 2018, 11:00:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

It is always amazing to read the posts after a loss or few.  It doesn't matter how much we win, MA is given little credit and fans are finding areas to nit-pick and compare against other teams and coaches.  When we lose a game or a few games, MA is the worst coach ever, our players are awful, we under-perform, are out-coached, etc... 

Fans constantly brag about A&M and last year we heard how awesome USC's coach was and how we could have had him, etc....

AR finished 12-6 last year and that tied the USC team and MA's team beat that great coach.  Granted his team did well in the tournament, but NCAA draw is huge and ours was not too good.  We finished tied for the 3rd best record in the SEC last year and fans were screaming this same stuff last year too.  MA's overall SEC record is pretty good.  His winning % is in the top three among ALL SEC coaches and he has done it over a much longer time frame and it includes the time rebuilding the program from being a dumpster fire.  It also includes going against the schools that are cheating.

AR fans have complained about the empty seats in the arena and blamed that on MA and I see the same or worse in virtually every game on TV in arenas of some of the top programs.  AR fans complain about our road record and ignore that it has been pretty good the past few years and better than most.  Even our NCAA championship and runner-up teams struggled on the road in some games. 

Fans constantly compare our play to other teams and their expectations for position play in the traditional game.  Basketball has changed a lot, the rules have changed a lot, and MA's system is not traditional.  The fact is that his system gives up a lot of open 3 pointers.  When teams shoot well, it looks ugly and can be frustrating.  When they shoot well and we shoot poorly, it looks awful and makes people want to throw things at the TV.  However, it is also a momentum style, it wears other teams and players down, and over the course of a game, we generally balance things out and win more than we lose.   

MA has proven to be a great representative for the UofA, he loves AR and wants to be here, he is an honest coach doing things the right way, and he is a far better coach than most of the constant complainers will ever recognize or admit. 

razorpimp

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 06, 2018, 11:00:49 pm
It is always amazing to read the posts after a loss or few.  It doesn't matter how much we win, MA is given little credit and fans are finding areas to nit-pick and compare against other teams and coaches.  When we lose a game or a few games, MA is the worst coach ever, our players are awful, we under-perform, are out-coached, etc... 

Fans constantly brag about A&M and last year we heard how awesome USC's coach was and how we could have had him, etc....

AR finished 12-6 last year and that tied the USC team and MA's team beat that great coach.  Granted his team did well in the tournament, but NCAA draw is huge and ours was not too good.  We finished tied for the 3rd best record in the SEC last year and fans were screaming this same stuff last year too.  MA's overall SEC record is pretty good.  His winning % is in the top three among ALL SEC coaches and he has done it over a much longer time frame and it includes the time rebuilding the program from being a dumpster fire.  It also includes going against the schools that are cheating.

AR fans have complained about the empty seats in the arena and blamed that on MA and I see the same or worse in virtually every game on TV in arenas of some of the top programs.  AR fans complain about our road record and ignore that it has been pretty good the past few years and better than most.  Even our NCAA championship and runner-up teams struggled on the road in some games. 

Fans constantly compare our play to other teams and their expectations for position play in the traditional game.  Basketball has changed a lot, the rules have changed a lot, and MA's system is not traditional.  The fact is that his system gives up a lot of open 3 pointers.  When teams shoot well, it looks ugly and can be frustrating.  When they shoot well and we shoot poorly, it looks awful and makes people want to throw things at the TV.  However, it is also a momentum style, it wears other teams and players down, and over the course of a game, we generally balance things out and win more than we lose.   

MA has proven to be a great representative for the UofA, he loves AR and wants to be here, he is an honest coach doing things the right way, and he is a far better coach than most of the constant complainers will ever recognize or admit.

Yes Mike Anderson is a good man

But serious question, do you ever see Mike Anderson winning a national championship while at Arkansas?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: razorpimp on January 06, 2018, 11:03:27 pm

But serious question, do you ever see Mike Anderson winning a national championship while at Arkansas?
name a coach that can come into Arkansas and win a natty? You are just making yourself look bad! Nolan won a championship because he had a different type of game then most!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Kevin

Mike Anderson is steady.

Never will he have a terrible season. Never will he have a great season

Win enough to make the NCAA tournament. Then lose on the first weekend

As proven, most hog fans are happy with that.

That is what two bad coaching hires have done to the fan base. Lowered expectations to where mediocre is acceptable

It is sad really to us that remember the great years of Sutton & Richardson
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 07, 2018, 06:50:25 am
Mike Anderson is steady.

That is what two bad coaching hires have done to the fan base. Lowered expectations to where mediocre is acceptable

were you one of the one's calling for Nolan's firing, just curious..

PonderinHog

The key to happiness is to meet expectations.

The key to meeting expectations is to lower them.

TNhawgfan

Oh good, another book telling us how great MA is. If nothing else, the "true" hog fans can brow beat us into thinking we've got an elite level coach
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

riccoar

Losing sucks.  It sucks worse when you know your team is more talented than the other team on the floor.  And yes, Arkansas was not just a tick better than MSU or Auburn, but much better.  To me, it seems to be discipline.  A team claws back to within 7 and then you let the other team saunter down the court and shoot an uncontested 3.  We have to have the same drive on the road that we have at BWA. 

lynbug

January 07, 2018, 09:02:26 am #8 Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:40:16 am by lynbug
Quote from: PonderinHog on January 07, 2018, 08:29:02 am

Once again you nailed it.  Think how much easier our lives would be if we would just quit dreaming of a return to the glory days.

Atlhogfan1

Good fitting post.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 07, 2018, 09:04:43 am
Good fitting post.
So is everybody happy now? 

I didn't think so...

Atlhogfan1

It's way too early in the season for these discussions.  No need for extremism either way.  We will win enough to make the NCAAT. Win 2 this week and we are still very much in position to win the conference given A&M's start with the injuries and UK not being dominant. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Knot2brite

Last year it was "just make it to the dance" and they did and came within a whisker of Sweet 16,

This year the expectations have risen...and the season hasn't ended but we are seeing some signs of being the same or worse yet...no improvement over last year even though the season has not played out...the expectations range from a Sweet 16 to Natty ( which is unbelievable) and after the great start ....it is road SEC that is getting us....but it is the same things ON the court is bothering most...see the same thing just different players ...it is frustrating...but the season isn't over ...I keep telling myself that and others keep reminding me....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 07, 2018, 09:07:29 am
It's way too early in the season for these discussions.  No need for extremism either way.  We will win enough to make the NCAAT. Win 2 this week and we are still very much in position to win the conference given A&M's start with the injuries and UK not being dominant.

UF wins the SEC...

Atlhogfan1

WBOBO

[/quote

this
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 07, 2018, 09:16:07 am
Maybe. We will see what they have soon.

and 12-6 may get a tie... they were very lucky to catch A&M when they did, otherwise they would have a road loss.. but that victory could well be the one that get's them the ring...

PonderinHog

If Tennessee can play like they did last night, they will be a factor.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 07, 2018, 09:18:40 am
and 12-6 may get a tie... they were very lucky to catch A&M when they did, otherwise they would have a road loss.. but that victory could well be the one that get's them the ring...

True.

There is going to be little separation in record in the top of the conference.

PORKULATOR

My expectations are that some of you will act like Hog fans instead of whiney, prepubescent girls. Though not many.
Its a long season. CMA haters not welcome. OP is weak sauce.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 07, 2018, 09:22:36 am
True.

There is going to be little separation in record in the top of the conference.

It might not be that far from top to bottom.. other than Vandy, we could all be bunched just over/under .500

latrops

The thing about expectations is that they aren't permanent.   The bar moves as circumstances change.  Once you achieve one level of accomplishment, you strive for the next. 

There are two questions with CMA now...is where we are now the best we can expect from him, and is that enough?

porkinsons disease

Mike Anderson is steady.

Nailed it as usual. What's the solution with the status quo? Lowered expectations or apathy? Neither one is very appealing. GO HOGS
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

3kgthog

If you can't tell us in a few short points why Mike is amazing, you're having to try really hard to find reasons.

Being a good guy isn't enough of a reason to hold that position.

popcornhog

As a program, we're not really close to that level yet.

I see Mike's place as bringing us from stagnant to a place where people care again, where we expect to make the tourney, try to be ranked, compete to be toward the top of the conference, and when he leaves, have us in a position to hire a guy that could win a national title.

I think he's accomplishing these things and I believe that it's in the best interest of the program for him to keep building over the next few years.

Will he win a natty? I wouldn't bet on it. Will he leave the program in a vastly better place than he found it? Absolutely.
WPS

popcornhog

Mike Anderson is steady.

My thought is that zero fans are happy with that.

But most of us see this as a process and have historical context. We're closer to national prominence now than we were before MA got here and we're continuing to improve.

That's why Bielema had to go. He was regressing. Mike is not.
WPS

PonderinHog

My minimum expectation for conference play is 10-8.  And that will get us in the dance.  It's gonna be a bloodbath for everybody.  Protect the home court and try to steal a couple on the road.

BigHog396

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 06, 2018, 11:00:49 pm

Very simply... the program was NOT a dumpster fire when MA arrived.  We don't wear down many opponents with our style, because it's not 40 minutes of hell with MA.  It's like 4 minuets of heck, and 37 minutes of jogging up the court.  With the lack of a game long full court press, and all the TV timeouts now, this style seldom wears opponents out in today's game.

rzrbackramsfan

Mike Anderson is steady.

How can you say this?! Mike Anderson teams have been capable of beating anyone on any given night. 

If we make the tournament year and year out, one of those teams will make a run.  Being in the tourney every year will build momentum as well.

My expectation is making the tournament 3/4 years. 

hogsanity

Actually most ANDERSON fans are happy with that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 07, 2018, 01:50:41 pm
How can you say this?! Mike Anderson teams have been capable of beating anyone on any given night. 

If we make the tournament year and year out, one of those teams will make a run.  Being in the tourney every year will build momentum as well.

well so far it has been 2 out of 6.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 07, 2018, 09:20:05 am
If Tennessee can play like they did last night, they will be a factor.
and again it's ALL about playing at home, does nobody get that!!!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2018, 02:00:27 pm
well so far it has been 2 out of 6.

This year I bet it will be 3 or the past 4.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 07, 2018, 03:00:54 pm
and again it's ALL about playing at home, does nobody get that!!!

At least this early on,  the beginning of conferernce play has a very different feel than the end.  Teams are still pretty even right now, but that will probably change as some teams get better faster than others.

lynbug

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 07, 2018, 01:04:48 pm
My minimum expectation for conference play is 10-8.  And that will get us in the dance.  It's gonna be a bloodbath for everybody.  Protect the home court and try to steal a couple on the road.
That is one consolation right now.  Most SEC fans, regardless of which team, are doing a lot of head scratching.  Game results just aren't turning out like we might have predicted a month ago.

Cinco de Hogo

My expectations now with the experience of six years behind Mike is that his team will be wildly unpredictable.  I don't think he's a good X and O coach so unless his team is hitting threes in the fashion we have a few times and in the fashion Auburn did last night there is no way for him to compensate.  He doesn't even build or train his team to compensate.  The last three years it was Trey Thompson that could have made the difference, this year its CJ Jones.  If we a clearing CJ for his shot and IF he is hitting we can beat any team in the country.  One guy, that's all the difference maker you need and I waited three year for TT to develop and he hasn't.  I wonder if it's going to be the same with CJ.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2018, 01:59:45 pm
Actually most ANDERSON fans are happy with that.

I don't work that way, I may support a hire and I did CMA for a variety of reasons but in the end I expect a certain level of performance.  I can be critical of ANY coach!

Except Petrino!😎

Kevin

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 07, 2018, 01:50:41 pm

In all his years as head coach his team as made one run. That's how. Just look at his total record
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

razorpimp

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 06, 2018, 11:06:28 pm
name a coach that can come into Arkansas and win a natty? You are just making yourself look bad! Nolan won a championship because he had a different type of game then most!

chris beard is in his second year at Texas tech and they have like a 25% chance of being a number one seed from one thing I saw on ESPN.  How close is Arkansas to being a #1 seed?  And the big 12 is arguably a better basketball conference too to bottom than the sec.  So yes there are coaches out there that could take the resources and tradition of Arkansas and win a NC, mediocre Mike is not one of them

Bobby Hurley is in year 3 at Arizona St

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 07, 2018, 03:02:10 pm
This year I bet it will be 3 or the past 4.

So Mike's 1st 3 seasons don't count?

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 08:19:14 am

no they don't. that is what long fed to the all in Anderson people before last season.

jjdlc

Sure they do, still doesn't make his statement false.

Fan701

Sure he could.  Why not?  We came within a hair last March of beating last year's national champion, so I think it's hard to say there was a huge difference between us and the eventual national champ.  We beat South Carolina, a final four team, on their home court, late in the season, not long before they made their final four run.

rzrbackramsfan

I look at those seasons as taking us immediately from bottom feeders of the sec immediately into a middle of the pack sec team, which, I'm fine with.  That third year was dang close to an NCAAT too.  I'm not even going to like, even though their was no NCAA, mainly because the SEC was perceived as being so weak ( only 3 sec teams in the tournament I believe), I still enjoyed that year!  It was a fun team. 

Then of course the next three years and going into the the fourth we've been the second or third best team in the sec over that time span.

I have a question for you, what is your greatest dislike about mike Anderson, it has to be playing style right?  I can't believe it's just results.  That would be like dropping a wife that's an 8.5 when you're a seven looking for that perfect 10.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 08, 2018, 10:49:55 am
I look at those seasons as taking us immediately from bottom feeders of the sec immediately into a middle of the pack sec team, which, I'm fine with.  That third year was dang close to an NCAAT too.  I'm not even going to like, even though their was no NCAA, mainly because the SEC was perceived as being so weak ( only 3 sec teams in the tournament I believe), I still enjoyed that year!  It was a fun team. 

Then of course the next three years and going into the the fourth we've been the second or third best team in the sec over that time span.

I have a question for you, what is your greatest dislike about mike Anderson, it has to be playing style right?  I can't believe it's just results.  That would be like dropping a wife that's an 8.5 when you're a seven looking for that perfect 10.

I dislike knowing that seemingly a dozen times a year we will lose because the opponent just could not miss. People always are complaining about how " so and so just got lucky and we caught them on a night no one could beat them!." At some point you have to wonder why so many teams have great shooting nights against the Hogs. I dislike knowing that, at some key spot in the game the opponent will get a key offensive board because the Hogs are too busy trying to run out on a miss. I dislike knowing that we will commit a couple of silly fouls 80 ft from the basket getting the team or a key player in foul trouble. I dislike knowing that if a team can keep the Hogs from fast breaking, the offense will bog down into 4 guys watching one guy dribble for 25 seconds then jack up a wild shot at the end of the shot clock. But most of all I dislike knowing that the HC will not change his style to try and correct any of this. They lose games now just like they lost games in his 1st season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 08, 2018, 10:49:55 am

We were middle of the pack in Pel's last two seasons. 7-9 in both.  Fell to 6-10 Mike's first season and then back to back 10-8 seasons.  Over this time we finished 7, T8, 9, 7 and 5th. SEC stopped divisions in Mike's first season and went to 14 teams his second. 

rude1

CMA hasn't been awful, but I would shy away from saying he has been good. 2 tourney appearances in 6 years with two second round visits, just doesn't exactly excite me to believe we are on our way to something big............

hogsanity

Quote from: rude1 on January 08, 2018, 12:59:13 pm
CMA hasn't been awful, but I would shy away from saying he has been good. 2 tourney appearances in 6 years with two second round visits, just doesn't exactly excite me to believe we are on our way to something big............

He's been exactly what some said he would be. Good coach, clean program, seems to be a excellent human being, wins just enough to stay around.

CPO Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 11:05:53 am
I dislike knowing that seemingly a dozen times a year we will lose because the opponent just could not miss. People always are complaining about how " so and so just got lucky and we caught them on a night no one could beat them!." At some point you have to wonder why so many teams have great shooting nights against the Hogs. I dislike knowing that, at some key spot in the game the opponent will get a key offensive board because the Hogs are too busy trying to run out on a miss. I dislike knowing that we will commit a couple of silly fouls 80 ft from the basket getting the team or a key player in foul trouble. I dislike knowing that if a team can keep the Hogs from fast breaking, the offense will bog down into 4 guys watching one guy dribble for 25 seconds then jack up a wild shot at the end of the shot clock. But most of all I dislike knowing that the HC will not change his style to try and correct any of this. They lose games now just like they lost games in his 1st season.
They play like they practice. I've heard in player interviews that they practice run and run some more. When they run into a team that can slow them down and execute a half court game, the HOGS are like  ???.
By late in the season the players start to figure it out and become more competitive. They will lose a couple more that they should win, then in Feb they will go on a run and be the team everyone expected them to be in Oct.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 01:04:25 pm
He's been exactly what some said he would be. Good coach, clean program, seems to be a excellent human being, wins just enough to stay around.

That is not his goal to just stay around, he wants a championship I'm sure you know. He isn't just saying it, it is his obsession.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.