Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jump Stop Rule

Started by Dillon23, January 03, 2018, 02:48:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon23

So, we have been arguing all day at work whether Macon traveled or not.  We have decided that he probably did during the transition from the dribble between the legs to the jump stop, but the ref did not call it there.  He waited until after Macon landed and lifted his left foot.  I believe that was a mistake according to the rules. (See Art. 2 below) What say you Hogville??

cjack

I think traveling is like carrying, fouls, and offensive holding in football.  They can be called at almost any time. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

3of5-2

Quote from: cjack on January 03, 2018, 03:01:26 pm
I think traveling is like carrying, fouls, and offensive holding in football.  They can be called at almost any time.
Exactly correct, and because they have been allowed to get away with it more times than not, they think they can get away with it all the time.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 03, 2018, 02:48:55 pm
So, we have been arguing all day at work whether Macon traveled or not.  We have decided that he probably did during the transition from the dribble between the legs to the jump stop, but the ref did not call it there.  He waited until after Macon landed and lifted his left foot.  I believe that was a mistake according to the rules. (See Art. 2 below) What say you Hogville??

I have always disliked the Jump Stop. It is nothing more than legalized traveling and should be stopped.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

labb

The offensive foul called on Barford beore was the call that really hurt us. My TV was acting up so I did not get to see it but offensive players have been pushing off with their off arm all year and it has not be called. Mybe he did, maybe he didn't. But that call at that time really really hurt.

hogsanity

Quote from: labb on January 03, 2018, 03:46:25 pm
The offensive foul called on Barford beore was the call that really hurt us. My TV was acting up so I did not get to see it but offensive players have been pushing off with their off arm all year and it has not be called. Mybe he did, maybe he didn't. But that call at that time really really hurt.

If they pretty much completely extend their arm, which is what he did, it is going to be called 99% of the time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 03:28:04 pm
I have always disliked the Jump Stop. It is nothing more than legalized traveling and should be stopped.

Here is what is funny, fans want travelling called, an end to the jump stop, don't let players carry the ball or dribblers push off. You know what created those things being allowed to happen -? Crying about low scoring defensive slugfests. Same reason the shot clock got dropped from 35 to 30. Just about every rule change or interpretation that comes along now favors the offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

Quote from: labb on January 03, 2018, 03:46:25 pm
He did, fully extended his arm, easy call, both seniors with unforced errors in crunch time will get you beat. Then another sr can tie the game but shoots an airball.

BannerMountainMan

If that's a travelthen there should be one called every time down the floor!!! https://twitter.com/jacebradley12/status/948405498268868608
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

urkillnmesmalls

Carrying the ball while dribbling is what has changed the game more than anything else.  In the 80's, when the officials saw your wrist turn while dribbling...whistle city.  Now they can move the ball a few feet side to side and no one even thinks twice about it.   

"Carrying" could be called on EVERY single possession if it was interpreted how it used to be.  I don't even think they call it "carrying" anymore.   ;D

All this "jump stop" and "Euro step" are just clever ways of defining new ways that players are stretching the rules to the absolute maximum of what's interpreted as a "travel." 

All they've done is change the way of interpreting that rule to be much more loosely defined that it was previously.  I see NBA highlights every night where someone blatantly takes THREE full steps, and nothing is called.  So...nothing suprises me anymore.  If you don't shuffle your feet BEFORE you dribble, or lift your pivot foot...it seems like it's "game on" most of the time.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 03:52:48 pm
If they pretty much completely extend their arm, which is what he did, it is going to be called 99% of the time.

But, if you will remember, early in the game (probably first 4-6 minutes), a MSU guard did the same thing to Macon as he was crossing the mid-court line, and sent him flying 4 steps back, to the free throw line.  No call.

If that was a foul by Barford, then the one against Macon may have been a "flagrant I".  Got to call them the same, both ways.

PORKULATOR

A time or 2 back and forth before Macon "travel"... Their PG recieved a pass and took steps. Macon turned to the ref and made the walk motion and asked for it.
Same ref. You don't think he was looking for a reason to show what walking was to DM do ya? He was pretty theatrical about the call.
I almost guarantee it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

texhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 03, 2018, 05:47:01 pm
Carrying the ball while dribbling is what has changed the game more than anything else.  In the 80's, when the officials saw your wrist turn while dribbling...whistle city.  Now they can move the ball a few feet side to side and no one even thinks twice about it.   

"Carrying" could be called on EVERY single possession if it was interpreted how it used to be.  I don't even think they call it "carrying" anymore.   ;D

All this "jump stop" and "Euro step" are just clever ways of defining new ways that players are stretching the rules to the absolute maximum of what's interpreted as a "travel." 

All they've done is change the way of interpreting that rule to be much more loosely defined that it was previously.  I see NBA highlights every night where someone blatantly takes THREE full steps, and nothing is called.  So...nothing suprises me anymore.  If you don't shuffle your feet BEFORE you dribble, or lift your pivot foot...it seems like it's "game on" most of the time.   
I was just thinking this the other day.  If you can palm or carry the ball it favors the offense so much more because of the when you change directions suddenly you can just take the ball with you instead of having to actually dribble the ball during a direction change.  This has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 years and while it makes for great highlights on Sportscenter, it goes against what I believe was the intent.  Some of the younger fans might be in awe of today's NBA players great moves, but if carrying was no longer allowed like back in the 80s or before, these players would have a much harder time executing the same moves having to keep their hands on top of the ball.  I think the art of dribbling has been lost.  JMHO.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: texhog on January 03, 2018, 08:10:29 pm
I was just thinking this the other day.  If you can palm or carry the ball it favors the offense so much more because of the when you change directions suddenly you can just take the ball with you instead of having to actually dribble the ball during a direction change.  This has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 years and while it makes for great highlights on Sportscenter, it goes against what I believe was the intent.  Some of the younger fans might be in awe of today's NBA players great moves, but if carrying was no longer allowed like back in the 80s or before, these players would have a much harder time executing the same moves having to keep their hands on top of the ball.  I think the art of dribbling has been lost.  JMHO.

Agreed.  Dribbling is VASTLY different now.  I know some would say it's just progression of the game, but I guess I'm more old school and like that the defender has a split second to make a change of direction.  With the modern "cross over" dribble, it gives the offensive player a big advantage.  Iverson really took that to the next level. 

I guess it's part of being in the "get off my lawn" age now.   ;D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BannerMountainMan

Some new added info, hear is a video of Macon doing the same thing against Oklahoma, this is a front view so you can easily tell it is not a travel https://twitter.com/jacebradley12/status/948766918638493696
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawg66

It was a classic jump stop. I'm old school too, don't really like the rule. The point is that it's allowed even to the point of a four paragraph definition. Macon knows the rule and says he practices it. Ugly rule but legal. Bad bad call. Especially in the final seconds.

Champs04

It was the same move that Lebron does. It is done all the time in college games and that is the 1st time i have ever seen it called. Total crap it was legal and it came at a horrible time.

hawg66

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 03, 2018, 06:08:40 pm
But, if you will remember, early in the game (probably first 4-6 minutes), a MSU guard did the same thing to Macon as he was crossing the mid-court line, and sent him flying 4 steps back, to the free throw line.  No call.

If that was a foul by Barford, then the one against Macon may have been a "flagrant I".  Got to call them the same, both ways.

And go look at the late three by Weatherspoon. Identical move. I'm sure Mike had a long talk with the conference office and I expect a much fairer shake Saturday.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 03, 2018, 03:57:08 pm
He did, fully extended his arm, easy call, both seniors with unforced errors in crunch time will get you beat. Then another sr can tie the game but shoots an airball.

He had already been fouled when the extension of the arm happened. At one point the defender actually contacted Barford so completely that the defender had his armpit on top of Barford's shoulder a step prior to the push off. Poor call, imo.

lynbug

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 03, 2018, 03:57:08 pm
I fear that he might be falling back into some bad habits like driving into multiple defenders for a turnover....or dribble, dribble, dribble, then jack it up with a prayer.  Sometimes it works...which is bad because it creates a false sense of confidence.

Rocket23

It is because Macon's feet did not come down simultaneously.  It was a quick pit-a-pat landing and that's what got it called.

Rocket23

Wasn't it Beard that pushed off?  It actually looked worse than it was, but because he extended his arm it was called.  I felt like a lot of the displacement was a flop.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocket23 on January 04, 2018, 01:39:34 pm
Wasn't it Beard that pushed off?  It actually looked worse than it was, but because he extended his arm it was called.  I felt like a lot of the displacement was a flop.

I was Barford, he fully extended his arm and he did so right in front of the ref on the wing. The defender sold it but Barford displaced him from his position by extending his arm, that is a foul.

Quote from: Rocket23 on January 04, 2018, 01:36:51 pm
It is because Macon's feet did not come down simultaneously.  It was a quick pit-a-pat landing and that's what got it called.

Before the ref even blew his whistle I said to my son, " he walked "

Hawg414

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 02:07:16 pm
Before the ref even blew his whistle I said to my son, " he walked "

except.. he didn't

beachhog

He never moved his pivot. 

hawg66

Quote from: Rocket23 on January 04, 2018, 01:36:51 pm

Check out the three from Q at the he 37 second mark in this clip from ESPN
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21946809

Smalltownhog95

Im all for the jump stop but i can't get on board with euro steps.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on January 04, 2018, 08:13:42 pm
Im all for the jump stop but i can't get on board with euro steps.

Todd Day executed the jump stop as well as anyone ever has.  He could cover some serious ground with that move. 

I have no issue with the Euro Step, except that so many times that last dribble before the change of direction step is a HUGE carry, and it's never called.