Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rose Bowl: Georgia wins in 2 OT over Oklahoma

Started by jbcarol, January 02, 2018, 05:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt

Tae Crowder, Jim Chaney and Rodrigo Blankenship. The story of how those three UGA figures' roles in the most important sequence of Monday's Rose Bowl win over Oklahoma:

QuotePasadena, Calif.

There were many great storylines to emerge from Georgia's 54-48 double overtime win over Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. The Bulldogs rallied from 17 points, pulling off the greatest comeback in Rose Bowl history. Nick Chubb and Sony Michel were off to the races and into the history books with their stellar performances.

But the greatest story from this game came in a span of six seconds on the game clock.

With six seconds to play in the first half, and with Oklahoma leading 31-14, the Sooners elected to squib kick it.

Jim Chaney was already on his way down to the locker room from the coaches' box, which is where he calls plays from. Chaney, like the rest of the Georgia coaching staff, thought Oklahoma would kick the ball deep, even though it has shown a tendency to rely on the squib kick before. With Chaney on an elevator down to the locker room, the on-field offensive coaches convened with head coach Kirby Smart to discuss what play to call with five seconds to go.

"We got together with the offensive staff and Kirby, and just figured out what we wanted to do on that first down play," Beamer said. "We ran a little sprint-out, got the ball to Terry (Godwin) on the sideline."

Georgia was able to call a timeout with one second left.

Blankenship, who missed a 48-yard attempt earlier in the game, boomed the attempt from 55 yards out through the uprights. It was the longest field goal of his career. It trimmed Oklahoma's lead at the half to 31-17.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

OU fans are questioning their lack of physicality on the lines today compared to Georgia.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 02, 2018, 11:22:57 am
OU fans are questioning their lack of physicality on the lines today compared to Georgia.

What do you think the Auburn fans are questioning about now?  ;) 

That game last night was one of the best I've ever watched.  Mayfield is fun to watch but I just don't like him. I was pulling for UGA. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Inhogswetrust

January 02, 2018, 01:16:31 pm #4 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:42:43 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Torqued pork on January 02, 2018, 11:22:57 am

OU fans are some of the worst. They would question something even if they had won by 50.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Torqued pork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 01:16:31 pm
Ou fans are some of the worst. They would question something even if they had won by 50.
Their tone has changed somewhat during the day. Now most just want Mike Stoops' head on a platter.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Bulldogs break new ground by practicing in their own place during CFP championship weekend

QuoteATLANTA — To be sure, what Georgia is doing this week is unusual. Unprecedented actually.

Not the playing for the national championship, which is unusual and unprecedented for UGA's football program. No, the Bulldogs, who have already traveled here for the College Football Playoff championship game and checked into the team hotel at the Downtown Hyatt, are busing back to Athens on Saturday to practice within their facilities at the Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall football complex.

That's certainly good for Georgia. But it's somewhat surprising that the College Football Playoff's organizing committee would allow it. The general philosophy of conducting a national championship game at a neutral site is the competing parties are subjected to the same circumstances and conditions.

At least in the playoff era, that hasn't been an option for any of the previous participants. And it's not for Alabama, which is more than 200 miles and a 3-hour drive away from its facilities in Tuscaloosa, Ala. But this year's championship game is being played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which happens to be 65 miles door-to-door from Georgia's $31 million indoor practice facility in Athens.

Alabama coach Nick Saban indicated he doesn't have a problem with it.

"I've got enough to worry about with our team," Saban said during his turn at media day. "I'm sure their coaching staff is capable enough of making the right decisions for what they do. I'm worried about what we're going to do in practice today. I'm worried about our team."

Smart insisted it wasn't about trying to gain a competitive edge over his former employer. It was simply difficult to locate a facility that meets all their needs.

"It's tough to find places to practice here," Smart said. "Once you say 'go back to the Falcons' indoor' [in Flowery Branch] or Georgia Tech's, we felt like we could be back in our place in almost the same time and obviously could be in a little more familiar place. We asked permission of the CFP and they granted that."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Planetary

Thankfully Georgia won the game.  Kirby Smart works as hard as any coach in the country including Nick Saban.  Baker Mayfield is extremely annoying and luckily he is moving on.  OU's new coach could be overmatched.  We shall see.  It would be great to see Georgia win the NC.  Georgia fans are starving a victory.