Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True PG

Started by ChopSooie, December 30, 2017, 09:37:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChopSooie

I love how this team is playing.

When we hit our scoring droughts, does anyone else think it is because we lack a true penetrating PG.  Barford, Macon, and Beard are good combo/sg's but we seem to lack penetration to kick to our deadly shooters.

Was that supposed to be Garland?

Hogimus Prime

Garland is a combo guard.  The transfer Harris is supposed to be a true point guard

razorback1829

Quote from: ChopSooie on December 30, 2017, 09:37:29 pm

When we hit our scoring droughts, does anyone else think it is because we lack a true penetrating PG.  Barford, Macon, and Beard are good combo/sg's but we seem to lack penetration to kick to our deadly shooters.

Nah. Barford and Macon need the ball in their hands. Why do we need another guard out there hold on to the ball even more? We're at our best when they are making plays for us.

incHOGnito

Don't know what you have been watching, but check out Macon's stats (assist/turnover ratio) this season and the role he has been playing. He has assumed the role of point guard this season. Yes, he can score, but he has definitely been distributing the ball, especially early, and is maybe the second best PG in the league, behind Chorizo from Florida.

Rbill

I've long thought a true PG would help of course - but not for penetration ability. We don't lack that. If we REALLY struggle it's because Macon and Barford disappear. Anyone on the floor is capable of passing the ball to Gafford down low and he can always kick it back out to an open shooter. What I think we sometimes lack is offensive organization - something like a floor general and leadership.

When we hit a drought (much more rare these days) it just feels like lack of cohesion and lack of a plan. Like nobody wants to score in the half court or nobody knows what to do. Times like when we are in the half court and have 4 bench players in with Macon or 4 bench players in with Barford and everyone on the court thinks those guys are option 1, 2, and 3 and nobody else knows if they should shoot. Basically in this scenario if Macon and/or Barford are having a quiet night then it can get really ugly really fast.

jjdlc

Quote from: incHOGnito on December 30, 2017, 11:20:34 pm
Don't know what you have been watching, but check out Macon's stats (assist/turnover ratio) this season and the role he has been playing. He has assumed the role of point guard this season. Yes, he can score, but he has definitely been distributing the ball, especially early, and is maybe the second best PG in the league, behind Chorizo from Florida.

Yep, he's doing everything he can to prove to the NBA that he is more than a scorer.

ChopSooie

Quote from: incHOGnito on December 30, 2017, 11:20:34 pm

I was thinking someone who can get in the pant and kick it to Macon or Barford when the defense collapses.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Our droughts come most often when Gafford is on the bench. Today was very typical. Gafford was +20.Thompson -8.

Rbill

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on December 31, 2017, 12:04:56 am
Our droughts come most often when Gafford is on the bench. Today was very typical. Gafford was +20.Thompson -8.

Nice stat. You could just feel the difference with that substitution but I had no idea what the points were. Do you have +- on Gafford for the whole season? I hate when he sits.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: jjdlc on December 30, 2017, 11:37:32 pm
Yep, he's doing everything he can to prove to the NBA that he is more than a scorer.
And I think he's doing just that. He's playing well in all phases.
He is good enough to play in the NBA for sure IMO. Shoots it well and is proving he can handle the point and do a great job.

Macon is very under rated on here and in the national media.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on December 31, 2017, 12:04:56 am

Thompson is just not athletic enough to play inside in the SEC. Hope he picks it up but he's getting worse.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rbill on December 31, 2017, 12:08:18 am
Nice stat. You could just feel the difference with that substitution but I had no idea what the points were. Do you have +- on Gafford for the whole season? I hate when he sits.

Well, Gafford is mostly in with Barford and Macon, so that probably impacts those plua-minuses significantly.

Corkscrew Johnson

Beard played 42 minutes and had 1 assist.   I would prefer that MA bite the bullet and give more PT to CJ and hall.  They will deliver by years end.

Thompson is a talent, but he's not going to deliver instant offense off the bench.  He should be used more with Macon and Barford, alongside Gafford.  Thompson probably has the second highest basketball IQ on the team, behind Macon....if you watch him, he actually understands the motion offense.

SultanofSwine

More minutes for CJ would be good at times and give him more opportunities to get in rhythm. Hall on the other hand is not ready for more minutes. It looks like the game is still moving too fast for him thus the turnovers. Easy to see he has a lot of talent but prolly need to continue to easy him in in short spurts.

lookawayquick

Beard is no PG.  Agree with Corkscrew, his PT should be decreased.  Give more minutes to CJ.  Even when he is cold, his athletic ability can be a positive.  Beard is scrappy but he is not athletic.  For a senior he makes too many bad decisions in crunch time and cannot make up for it with athleticism. Kept Tenner in the game in OT.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 31, 2017, 06:57:44 am
Well, Gafford is mostly in with Barford and Macon, so that probably impacts those plua-minuses significantly.

No, it was like this or maybe even worse when Trey was starting

labb

You guys might just as well get over your under value of Beard. There is a reason that he is 1st or second in minutes played (to lazy to look it up) and it is not because we have a coach that does not know his players. CJ and Hall were completely lost yesterday. You leave them in the game and we loose.

Pinto

Quote from: labb on December 31, 2017, 08:27:50 am
You guys might just as well get over your under value of Beard. There is a reason that he is 1st or second in minutes played (to lazy to look it up) and it is not because we have a coach that does not know his players. CJ and Hall were completely lost yesterday. You leave them in the game and we loose.

I agree. But it still doesn't exempt Beard from criticism for his lack of vision and PG instincts...

labb

Quote from: Pinto on December 31, 2017, 08:35:14 am
I agree. But it still doesn't exempt Beard from criticism for his lack of vision and PG instincts...
Who ever said he was the PG. Barford was most of the time last season and Macon is this season.

Athog

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 30, 2017, 09:55:02 pm
Nah. Barford and Macon need the ball in their hands. Why do we need another guard out there hold on to the ball even more? We're at our best when they are making plays for us.

Because that will make the defense work harder and make them more effective!

HawgsPolo

Hogs lead the SEC in scoring and the guard play has been exceptional fyi
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Smithian

The "true point guard" thread is a topic as old as Jump Ball itself.

Without getting into who is and isn't a point guard by the old definition, I do know this will be the best backcourt we have for a while. Enjoy it.

Pork Ranger

To me, our scoring droughts come when Gafford is on the bench because if a couple fouls. We just play on a different level as a team when he is on the floor.

He barely played against UNC and we got destroyed.

The_Iceman

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 31, 2017, 07:54:00 am
More minutes for CJ would be good at times and give him more opportunities to get in rhythm. Hall on the other hand is not ready for more minutes. It looks like the game is still moving too fast for him thus the turnovers. Easy to see he has a lot of talent but prolly need to continue to easy him in in short spurts.

Hall clearly needs some time to adjust to the speed and pressure of SEC games.

RaisinHog

Cj played plenty of minutes and stunk it up royally .. I get so sick of the love affair with him ... He is a streaky shooter just like Anton Bell .. defensive liability and terrible ball handler

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: labb on December 31, 2017, 08:53:43 am
Who ever said he was the PG. Barford was most of the time last season and Macon is this season.

If he's not a PG, what is he?  He's not a shooting guard.  He sure isn't a SF or C.  He is a scrappy defender, but if he isn't helping create in a motion offense, we would be better served using SOME of his minutes developing our young talent.  1 assist in 42 minutes, and if you weren't getting heartburn every time he put the ball on the floor, you haven't been paying attention.

Cinco de Hogo

My Gosh, our guards penetrate all the time, the problem yesterday was our shooters weren't  hitting for most of the game.  We scored a lot of points in the paint.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 31, 2017, 09:21:04 am
If he's not a PG, what is he?  He's not a shooting guard.  He sure isn't a SF or C.  He is a scrappy defender, but if he isn't helping create in a motion offense, we would be better served using SOME of his minutes developing our young talent.  1 assist in 42 minutes, and if you weren't getting heartburn every time he put the ball on the floor, you haven't been paying attention.

Do you know that an assist requires that the ball go through the hoop?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 31, 2017, 09:21:04 am

He sets a tone of toughness on this team and the coach values that. CJ was given a chance to get going yesterday and couldn't get going. Beard is an 82% FT shooter and the coach values that in games where every point is going to count. You are going to be awfully disappointed during a good season if AB's playing time makes you misserable because the coach values things that you either cannot see or choose not to see.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

razorback1829

Quote from: Athog on December 31, 2017, 08:55:52 am
Because that will make the defense work harder and make them more effective!

Yea you're right.. we're at 90 a clip per game.. maybe we need somebody else cause our offense is stalling so much that we can't avg 100 ppg lol give me a break

razorback1829

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 31, 2017, 09:30:13 am
He sets a tone of toughness on this team and the coach values that. CJ was given a chance to get going yesterday and couldn't get going. Beard is an 82% FT shooter and the coach values that in games where every point is going to count. You are going to be awfully disappointed during a good season if AB's playing time makes you misserable because the coach values things that you either cannot see or choose not to see.

CJ is clearly better, but he's just like a freshman out there. He's never played in an intense game of that nature. But he might get the Al Dillard's treatment for now.. even though I do see him out there trying to make plays on both sides of the ball, when he's not hitting, he's not ready to be out there for stops.

labb

As to "developing our young talent". That is done mostly in practice and in the off season. You don't force feed a kid into a situation where he does not perform and loses confidence. They get enough court time to see how they will perform under different situations. Hall,Bailey and Jones are coming on nicely. We are trying to win games this season. Next season will take care of next season. We got a chance to go a long way this year with the 5 that are getting the most court time. Look for Cook's, yes Cook's, minutes to really increase. The game did not slow down for Hall and Jones yesterday. It will in time and those two will be a factor before season's end. Listen to the National Talking Heads, they will suddenly start talking about Arkansas's three Sr. Guards.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 31, 2017, 07:37:58 am
Beard played 42 minutes and had 1 assist.   I would prefer that MA bite the bullet and give more PT to CJ and hall.  They will deliver by years end.

Thompson is a talent, but he's not going to deliver instant offense off the bench.  He should be used more with Macon and Barford, alongside Gafford.  Thompson probably has the second highest basketball IQ on the team, behind Macon....if you watch him, he actually understands the motion offense.
Good post. I agree that Jones and Hall need to play Beards minutes. Those two should get Thompson's minutes. They would atleast be able to score and Hall could really have a big impact with his defense and his desire.

I love Thompson but he's getting worse and his lack of effort is obvious.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 31, 2017, 09:30:13 am
Keep repeating that toughness saying. He got abused yesterday he's not an SEC player. He has been playing well but he won't do anything  during the conference.

rude1

Quote from: lookawayquick on December 31, 2017, 08:09:35 am
Beard is no PG.  Agree with Corkscrew, his PT should be decreased.  Give more minutes to CJ.  Even when he is cold, his athletic ability can be a positive.  Beard is scrappy but he is not athletic.  For a senior he makes too many bad decisions in crunch time and cannot make up for it with athleticism. Kept Tenner in the game in OT.
NO!!! And this is coming from someone who has never been a Beard fan. What you guys aren't seeing, is that Beard gives us a third ball handler, for all his other WTH moments, he is solid with the ball in his hands. CJ simply isn't a ball handler at all, he gets rid of that thing quick as he can if he isn't taking a shot. Just look at Beard assist to T.O. ratio and you will realize he isn't nearly as careless with the ball as sometimes we seem to think he is.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 31, 2017, 09:55:03 am
CJ is clearly better, but he's just like a freshman out there. He's never played in an intense game of that nature. But he might get the Al Dillard's treatment for now.. even though I do see him out there trying to make plays on both sides of the ball, when he's not hitting, he's not ready to be out there for stops.

CJ is into his second year with this team. Heck, Scotty Thurman had 30 points against Arizona just a couple of games into his 1st season as a true freshman starting on the road against a ranked team.

CJ needs to grow into his role quickly and become steadier. More than being a spot up shooter, he needs to develop better handles so that he can penetrate for second level pull up jumpers or finish at the rim when defenses close out on him at the three point line. Also, he needs to become a better weakside rebounder and all around defender.

razorback1829

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 31, 2017, 02:55:42 pm
CJ is into his second year with this team. Heck, Scotty Thurman had 30 points against Arizona just a couple of games into his 1st season as a true freshman starting on the road against a ranked team.

CJ needs to grow into his role quickly and become steadier. More than being a spot up shooter, he needs to develop better handles so that he can penetrate for second level pull up jumpers or finish at the rim when defenses close out on him at the three point line. Also, he needs to become a better weakside rebounder and all around defender.

I agree, although he's had good season so far up to date. I think he'll learn and be better next game. But let's not act like he and Scotty are comparable. Scotty played A LOT his first year and was one of the best freshman in the country that year. CJ barely touched the floor. So yes he's still like a freshman whose taking a couple more lumps. He'll be fine though.

BigBlueHell

Barford and Macon drive a lot.  And when they drive they finish.  They don't kick it out because they can get to the rim and make a much higher percentage shot.  Why kick out when you can finish?
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

Big Nasty 34

Our scoring droughts come when we're standing around and there's very little movement. That's Mike's Achilles heel, having a good halfcourt offense when we need to get a good look.

We're so fortunate to have Macon and Barford because they can go get one on one baskets. A true point guard is nice but can't force guys to move without the ball. Teams that play great halfcourt defense (UT and UNC) really hinder our free flowing motion offense.

rude1

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on December 31, 2017, 11:02:40 pm
Our scoring droughts come when we're standing around and there's very little movement. That's Mike's Achilles heel, having a good halfcourt offense when we need to get a good look.

We're so fortunate to have Macon and Barford because they can go get one on one baskets. A true point guard is nice but can't force guys to move without the ball. Teams that play great halfcourt defense (UT and UNC) really hinder our free flowing motion offense.
What you are describing is a basketball problem not a CMA problem, no matter the team, no matter the system, at times a team will get stagnate on offense and get completely out of sync. Scoring droughts don't just happen to us, how about those other teams that get out of sorts when we get on a run, is CMA suddenly on their sideline bogging things down? If you could find a cure for this, every coach in the country would be knocking at your door for it.

razorback1829

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on December 31, 2017, 11:02:40 pm

Not a Mike problem, but a on the court during the game player problem. We're scoring 90 points a game. Nothing supports what you're saying.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 30, 2017, 09:55:02 pm

So to heck with the others on the team.  The purpose of the PG is to get the ball in the hands of the hot man or the open man and to control tempo to the coaches wishes.

We have several shooters on this team and big men who would be much better scorers if we could get them the ball in their shooting zone.  yes Barford and macon are pretty good at creating for themselves but just think if they could get their feet set and received the ball in their shooting Zone.  All teams do better with a PG who is their major ball handler and leader.     Also what happens with those two players are cold or ineffective for whatever reason????

FATHAWG08

I've been please with Beard's play up until this game. AB made some crucial mistakes.

1.Game tied in regulation less than 18 seconds he fouls with 5 seconds on shot clock 25 feet from basket. We are fortunate Bone makes only 1 of 2 to tie the game

2. Up by 8 with 47 seconds. Beard shoots a 3 and fortunately he makes the shot. He should of pulled it out and ran time off the clock.

3. Foul on Beard under the Goal with less than :03 in OT.

Beard is going to have to play a lot of minutes for us to be our best. He just seems to have these mental lapses at critical times in his career.
I love off season Football!!

razorback1829

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 12:47:52 am
So to heck with the others on the team.  The purpose of the PG is to get the ball in the hands of the hot man or the open man and to control tempo to the coaches wishes.

We have several shooters on this team and big men who would be much better scorers if we could get them the ball in their shooting zone.  yes Barford and macon are pretty good at creating for themselves but just think if they could get their feet set and received the ball in their shooting Zone.  All teams do better with a PG who is their major ball handler and leader.     Also what happens with those two players are cold or ineffective for whatever reason?????

Well I'm at least fair and take nothing out of context. How about the post I was responding to? You totally took that post with no disregard and ran with it. Come on man! We're supposed to be better than that!

That post was saying we don't need another guard in crunch time to handle the ball. We have 2 of the best in the country. Let's not over complicate things.

Rbill

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 31, 2017, 11:36:11 pm
Not a Mike problem, but a on the court during the game player problem. We're scoring 90 points a game. Nothing supports what you're saying.

You guys have your head in the sand if you can't admit a traditional half court offense is the Achilles' heel of Mike's system and teams. That should be obvious and a given. A beginning of the conversation that shouldn't be up for discussion. That doesn't mean his system doesn't work and it doesn't mean we aren't awesome this year. That's why our play call at the end of the half and the end of regulation was Macon standing with the ball for 10 seconds and shooting a 3. Stop being so defensive.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 31, 2017, 11:36:11 pm

Nothing supports what I'm saying? We only had 9 assists on 33 baskets Saturday!! 61 points came from Macon and Barford mostly going one on one. If you look at most of our games, I would say we assist on about 50% of makes. But when we play against legit halfcourt defense, we get very one on one reliant. Go back and watch the game, you'll see a lot of standing around when we need fluid motion. There's a reason you can hear Mike yelling "move" a lot of times.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on January 01, 2018, 09:28:47 am
Nothing supports what I'm saying? We only had 9 assists on 33 baskets Saturday!! 61 points came from Macon and Barford mostly going one on one. If you look at most of our games, I would say we assist on about 50% of makes. But when we play against legit halfcourt defense, we get very one on one reliant. Go back and watch the game, you'll see a lot of standing around when we need fluid motion. There's a reason you can hear Mike yelling "move" a lot of times.

Once again you can't blame the lack of assist on half court defense when we were obviously not shooting well.  I saw plenty of attempts that weren't missed because of defense.  Sometimes you just go cold, and sometimes you heat back up which is what we did.  Now if you want to prove you point give us the assist ratio for the first 30 minutes vs the last 10 minutes.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 01, 2018, 09:37:20 am
Once again you can't blame the lack of assist on half court defense when we were obviously not shooting well.  I saw plenty of attempts that weren't missed because of defense.  Sometimes you just go cold, and sometimes you heat back up which is what we did.  Now if you want to prove you point give us the assist ratio for the first 30 minutes vs the last 10 minutes.

Just a quick look on play by play on score center, from the 10 minute mark of the second half to the end of the game we had 5 of 9 assists. Only 3 in the first half I believe.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2017, 09:03:35 am
I do know this will be the best backcourt we have for a while. Enjoy it.

You think they're better than Ricky Scott, Madracus Wade, Rotnie Clarke, Gulley, Madden Haydar... some big time guards your over looking there...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 01, 2018, 09:53:29 am
You think they're better than Ricky Scott, Madracus Wade, Rotnie Clarke, Gulley, Madden Haydar... some big time guards your over looking there...

LOL!  You've obviously made his point...which I'm sure was your intention.