Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis to be named DC after the bowl game

Started by checkraiser88, December 29, 2017, 01:24:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtimes

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 29, 2017, 01:42:07 pm
Calm down, guys.  You should know how this works by now.  Every Razorback coach is great and an outstanding hire...until we fire him.  At that point questioning the decision to bring him on will not only be fair, it will be almost a requirement.

^^^^THIS^^^^

checkraiser88

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 29, 2017, 02:06:54 pm
Um, you're going to need to direct me to my post that suggests this.  I've looked everywhere, but nope, can't find it.

Sorry Bubba, quoted you by mistake, having trouble with mobile app..

HawgTide

opineonswine

BroyledNutts

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 29, 2017, 02:06:21 pm
Arkansas cannot hire a great coach that isn't a has-been. No great coach wants to be at Arkansas. We either have to have really good luck with a has-been, really good luck with an up-and-comer, or we have to have really good luck with someone good that desparately wants out of his current contract (like BP at ATL).  Chavis ain't gonna be our savior. But he and Chad might put together a good staff and create a decent defense that can hold on better than last year's team. If the defense improves 15% and the offense improves 35%, we'll win 7 or 8. And that will be enough to build a better recruiting year. Then all we have to do is improve another 15% the following year to reach 8-9 wins. Do that and fans will be fairly happy as long as Chad figures out how to get one 10 win season by year 4/5. No losing seasons and average close to 8 wins a year and Chad will be able to stay 7-9 years. But he needs 1 BP-like year to build hope up.

Solid. +1

hogcards

Don't base it on one game.  Base it on the entire year.   ;)
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

elksnort

Arkansas cannot hire a great coach that isn't a has-been. No great coach wants to be at Arkansas. We either have to have really good luck with a has-been, really good luck with an up-and-comer, or we have to have really good luck with someone good that desparately wants out of his current contract (like BP at ATL).  Chavis ain't gonna be our savior. But he and Chad might put together a good staff and create a decent defense that can hold on better than last year's team. If the defense improves 15% and the offense improves 35%, we'll win 7 or 8. And that will be enough to build a better recruiting year. Then all we have to do is improve another 15% the following year to reach 8-9 wins. Do that and fans will be fairly happy as long as Chad figures out how to get one 10 win season by year 4/5. No losing seasons and average close to 8 wins a year and Chad will be able to stay 7-9 years. But he needs 1 BP-like year to build hope up.
I agree with your post. 

I don't think we will ever be great. But I am goodwith what you typed.

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, baby steps.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
Oh we can field a team. Just not a championship team. But if that's ok with you, by all means. The gobs sure know how to pull one over on the fans. Not this one.

If you actually hired someone better, I'd take you more seriously. But you're just talking out your a**.  No truly great hire is coming to Arkansas this year, period. They don't gamble on teams that have no recent history of major success. Our biggest success in the last 25 years was still not enough to to finish post season in the top 3, and we couldn't duplicate even that success 1 time since. No one significantly better was coming this year.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

rhog1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 02:07:28 pm
If you add Caldwell to this staff...that is a home run.

This could end up being a fantastic staff.
That's the truth. I don't like the Chavis hire at all but Caldwell would be a great get.

Flrazrback

Aggies down by 10 at the half. Let's see what adjustments Chief makes to the D...

Seebs

Quote from: TeufelHog on December 29, 2017, 01:31:59 pm
Is anyone watching the Belk Bowl?  Aggie defense is playing like crap so yeah, let's hire their D-Coordinator and make him the highest paid assistant in school history.  Typical Arkansas hiring gamble . . . somebody wake me when the Hogs win another SEC game.
Or we could let you slumber. Shhhhh ... somebody's taking a nappy
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

havok

Quote from: colbs on December 29, 2017, 02:09:54 pm
Why am I surprised we had people overreact to this game?

Agreed.  If anyone wants to point out deficiencies from last season.. that is valid.  But this game is nothing anyone can get any real read on.   

Coaches are sleepwalking through this with one foot in the door, the other out the door.  The players know none of these guys will be their coach next year, and right now it may be more of lets get the Bowl gift-bags, don't get injured..and start fresh next year.

pghawg1

SOME of these posts about Chavis is Just DAMN dumb. Give the guy a chance.

From Tusk Till Dawn

What's the big deal?  According to most, every issue we had on offense and defense last year was because of our head coach.  Don't those same rules apply this year?  So if Chavis does a bad job surely it will be Morris's fault.

Redhogs

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 01:50:50 pm
I'm glad our fans aren't miserable like you then, not sure we could field a team with fans like you
Take off the blinders man...post after post you make love to this guy...what's your deal.... he's an average DC at best. Why don't you at least be honest with yourself. He was good 10 years ago when the offenses were a lot different. The game has passed him by and Ar. gets screwed again. "The best DC in the country"...that is going to come back to haunt CCM...mark my words.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Redhogs on December 29, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
Take off the blinders man...post after post you make love to this guy...what's your deal.... he's an average DC at best. Why don't you at least be honest with yourself. He was good 10 years ago when the offenses were a lot different. The game has passed him by and Ar. gets screwed again. "The best DC in the country"...that is going to come back to haunt CCM...mark my words.

Flrazrback

Aggies have NO run game today -7 rushing in the first half. Defense has been pretty solid on 3rd down allowing 4 conversions in 11 attempts. Wake is dominating A&M on offensive ststs

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Flrazrback on December 29, 2017, 02:17:49 pm
Aggies down by 10 at the half. Let's see what adjustments Chief makes to the D...

3 and out

Cartoon Man

38 to 35.  Wait til end of game to criticize. I trust Coach Morris.  For you morons  that think you know everything.  I don't see you getting paid to coach our young mem.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Cartoon Man on December 29, 2017, 02:33:47 pm
38 to 35.  Wait til end of game to criticize. I trust Coach Morris.  For you morons  that think you know everything.  I don't see you getting paid to coach our young mem.

38 points should be a game.
And the fans are the ones who support the program. We should have a voice.

Al Boarland

It's no secret Chavis was at his best when more teams played the pro-style game and he had great talent. It's also no secret he is on the backside of his career and struggles against spread attacks.

The good news is if CCM can score points we could win some shootouts. However, if we start rolling up 3 and outs and his D is out there for a lot of snaps it won't be pretty. Especially with the challenges the program has recruiting quality depth.

I'm with most here. We couldn't have hired a better name.

hogcards

Yea, this looks like it would be a good idea to hire this guy.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hogcards

Quote from: Cartoon Man on December 29, 2017, 02:33:47 pm

That's enough points to spread out over 3 games.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

The Pulse

Why did Chavis have to wait until after he gave up 40+ points in the Belk bowl to make a move?

hogcards

Quote from: The Pulse on December 29, 2017, 02:53:44 pm
Why did Chavis have to wait until after he gave up 40+ points in the Belk bowl to make a move?

Wait, the games not over.  He could easily hit 47 or 48.

...fairly par for the course. He's averaged 33 ppg against this year.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

opineonswine

Wake "hung" 42 on ole Bobby Petrino when he lost.
Wake "hung" 37 on ND AT ND.
Wake "hung" 64 on Syracuse AT Syr. (the same Syracuse that beat Clemson)

ChopSooie

All the defense has to do is get the ball back to the high powered offense more often than not.

Some of you guys are stuck in the defenses of yester year.

When the A&M offense moves the ball, the defense looked better, but when they started having 3 and outs Wake started to blow out A&M. 2nd half the Aggies started to move the ball and the defense looks better.

Dirty

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 03:03:55 pm

You know you can't bring in statistics when making a point to some of these people.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 01:49:00 pm
Nope. Not wasting any more $.
We might actually get real change if more would do the same.

Probably stop construction this afternoon based on this post......

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

colbs

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 03:03:55 pm
Once some don't like a guy it's hard to convince them otherwise.  Bud Foster gave up 24 in one half to the Hogs.

opineonswine

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: ricepig on December 29, 2017, 03:09:37 pm
Probably stop construction this afternoon based on this post......

Enjoy mediocrity

Dr. Starcs

ShadowTheHedgehog

Looks like he made some good adjustments at halftime.

ChopSooie

I like how the Aggies play the ball and play bump and run coverage. I like how aggressive they are. It is tough to get to the QB when he throws it as quick as most spread teams do.

Dr. Starcs

ChopSooie

imtad16

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on December 29, 2017, 03:14:06 pm
Looks like he made some good adjustments at halftime.

Beat me to it. Forcing turnovers and getting after the QB.

ChopSooie

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Dirty on December 29, 2017, 03:09:34 pm
You know you can't bring in statistics when making a point to some of these people.

These stats?

#63. In total defense excites You?

#63 in total.defense = great fit for our program?

#63 in total.defense = best DC in the nation?

With 3.5 mil to spare we could have gotten anyone.

hoghevn

The way A&M is causing fumbles in the second half and rushing & sacking Wake's QB, I'll take Chavis.  His defense has put A&M back in the lead!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

HogHomer

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 03:16:10 pm
These stats?

Uhh we weren't spending 3.5 mil on a DC

HognitiveDissonance

My opinion of Chavis really isn't affected by the bowl game, although that doesn't help.
I'm just wondering why Chavis is so highly paid and highly regarded.
Yes, his SEC resume is long with Tenn, LSU, and A&M.
Yes, I'm sure he knows his stuff.
Yes, I'm sure he's a good coach.

But...what has he really done to make you sit up and think WOW what a great coaching job?
Let's face it, at LSU you will always have better athletes.
At his first stop Tennessee that was back in the time when Tenn had tremendous athletes like Leonard Little, John Henderson, Dwayne Goodrich, etc

I just don't see it.

I'm not opposed to his hire, I do think he's a quality coach, but I do have objections to the amount of money. He's not worth much more than Robb Smith's salary.

Al Boarland

These stats?

First, the pool of money for Gus isn't just sitting out there. Second, just because you throw a bunch of money at a guy doesn't mean he will come. It's not easy to be a DC at the UofA. It has the potential to hurt your career.

hogcards

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 29, 2017, 03:18:32 pm
My opinion of Chavis really isn't affected by the bowl game, although that doesn't help.
I'm just wondering why Chavis is so highly paid and highly regarded.
Yes, his SEC resume is long with Tenn, LSU, and A&M.
Yes, I'm sure he knows his stuff.
Yes, I'm sure he's a good coach.

But...what has he really done to make you sit up and think WOW what a great coaching job?
Let's face it, at LSU you will always have better athletes.
At his first stop Tennessee that was back in the time when Tenn had tremendous athletes like Leonard Little, John Henderson, Dwayne Goodrich, etc

I just don't see it.

I'm not opposed to his hire, I do think he's a quality coach, but I do have objections to the amount of money. He's not worth much more than Robb Smith's salary.

I've never been overly impressed with him since I've been aware of him... which is fairly recent.  I do know he had some success years ago at Tenner and LSU.

Once again, I like Morris and support the hires he's made so far.  ...with what I know of them.

...but this would not be good for us.  And to be honest, I don't think he'll get hired here.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HF#1

These stats?

We are currently like 109th... Just sayin.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin