Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis to be named DC after the bowl game

Started by checkraiser88, December 29, 2017, 01:24:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawganatic

Quote from: LZH on December 29, 2017, 04:37:12 pm
You're outta your [CENSORED] mind if you think those seniors playing their last football game didn't care. You never played so stfu.

Somebody forget to take their meds this morning?   Calm down and get some perspective.  Or at least stop being a [CENSORED] about it...

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 29, 2017, 04:23:09 pm
Would you try at all knowing it's your last game after getting essentially getting let go? Bowl games are a glorified scrimmage these days.

Like several others have said, I would try to put forth my best effort.  My reputation would be on the line, and it would be the best thing I could do for my future prospects and for the players.

That said, there is that "way out" theory that he could be trying to guarantee that aTm fires him so neither he, nor his future employer have to pay his $1.6M buyout.  If so, he nailed that one.

LZH

December 29, 2017, 04:57:07 pm #152 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:07:13 pm by LZH
Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 04:38:19 pm
I'm sure you were an all American in college football lol

As a junior I watched a small senior class give their heart and soul in the last game of the season that would have sent us to the playoffs with a lame duck coach who we all loved. I also watched them cry their eyes out when we came up a couple plays short.

And fwiw, no I wasn't a college All American. But fortunately, the next year we won it all and I did have offers from some AIC schools and even got some face time with Holtz and Hatfield as well as a visit to Ole Miss.

So you'll have to forgive me if I get ruffled when someone makes light of the last game of a kid's career.....I've been there and assure you it's not "who cares".

Edit: Sorry 88 I thought you were the other guy...don't pick on me!

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

opineonswine

John Chavis expected to be new defensive coordinator at Arkansas

Trey Biddy • HawgSports.com
@treybiddy

010HogFan

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on December 29, 2017, 04:53:21 pm
Like several others have said, I would try to put forth my best effort.  My reputation would be on the line, and it would be the best thing I could do for my future prospects and for the players.

That said, there is that "way out" theory that he could be trying to guarantee that aTm fires him so neither he, nor his future employer have to pay his $1.6M buyout.  If so, he nailed that one.

Like I've said before, you or I have no idea how the last 2 weeks have been for John Chavis. Heck, even how the whole season was in his shoes. Maybe the events that unfolded with the coaching carousel rubbed him the wrong way and he could care less what happened. These things aren't as transparent as "he didn't give a rip because he's leaving anyway" or "He sucks because it was Wake Forest". It's probably somewhere in the middle.

opineonswine

Trey Biddy‏Verified account
@TreyBiddy
Follow Follow @TreyBiddy
More
Here's a lot more detail on John Chavis, who according to sources and multiple media reports is expected to be the new defensive coordinator at Arkansas

farmhawg

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 05:03:47 pm
No you're not. 
So you were banned or deleted and back again? Wished it helped your trolling but guess not.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

dbhog

He is the best DC available?  His defense got shredded today.  No thanks.

redeye

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 05:08:26 pm
John Chavis expected to be new defensive coordinator at Arkansas

Trey Biddy • HawgSports.com
@treybiddy

This came from his article and it's impressive!

QuoteTHE HISTORY
The list below shows the points per game allowed by defenses coordinated by Chavis over the past 28 years in the SEC.

1988: - Tennessee was 70th at 26.0 ppg the year before he arrived

AT TENNESSEE

1989: 18.1 (23)
1990: 16.9 (19)
1991: 21.9 (52)
1992: 16.3 (18)
1993: 14.6 (8.)
1994: 17.3 (17)
1995: 19.0 (26)
1996: 15.4 (9)
1997: 22.0 (42)
1998: 14.5 (8.)
1999: 16.2 (8.)
2000: 20.6 (29)
2001: 19.3 (20)
2002: 17.5 (11)
2003: 18.4 (17)
2004: 22.7 (39)
2005: 18.6 (15)
2006: 19.5 (33)
2007: 27.3 (62)
2008: 16.8 (10) – LSU was 56th at 24.2 ppg the year before he arrived

AT LSU

2009: 16.2 (11) - while Tennessee slipped to 37th and 22.2 ppg
2010: 18.2 (11)
2011: 11.3 (2)
2012: 17.5 (12)
2013: 22.0 (21)
2014: 17.5 (4) – Texas A&M was 77th at 28.1 ppg the year before he arrived

AT TEXAS A&M

2015: 22.0 (28) - while LSU slipped to 41st and 24.3 ppg
2016: 24.5 (39)
2017: 28.7 (81)

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/john-chavis-to-be-new-defensive-coordinator-at-arkansas

Note how his first year is always good, while his last year is poor, probably because he knows he's on the way out.

Jonbo

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:06:00 pm
This reminds me of watching Randal Tex Cobb fight.  The guy would just bleed all over the ring in the hopes that whomever was pounding his face into what resembled a grapefruit, would eventually slip on his blood.
But he made a pretty good comedy heavy in, what was it?, Raising Arizona?

010HogFan

Cure

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 05:03:47 pm
No you're not.
HC, I've always respected the product Chavis put on the field. I liked Rhoads too, but felt he was dealt a bad hand.

Chavis is about as respected DC as you could bring to Arkansas, great hire.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

elksnort

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 04:43:00 pm
Read what I responded to, it's called sarcasm buddy
Dude sorry. Sarcasm detection via electronic communication is not my string suit.

LZH

I know he is a fantastic coach, but the game is different than his heydays at Tennessee and LSU. I know I'd hate to try to keep up with these spread offenses after years of mostly coaching vs smashmouth teams.

LZH

Quote from: elksnort on December 29, 2017, 05:16:49 pm
Dude sorry. Sarcasm detection via electronic communication is not my string suit.

At least you figured out who you were responding to....

redeye

Quote from: LZH on December 29, 2017, 05:17:02 pm
I know he is a fantastic coach, but the game is different than his heydays at Tennessee and LSU. I know I'd hate to try to keep up with these spread offenses after years of mostly coaching vs smashmouth teams.

Did you see the ppg numbers I posted above?

LZH

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 05:23:22 pm
Did you see the ppg numbers I posted above?

Went back and looked. Doesn't really change my opinion. He'll be an improvement, but I'm not sold on him being the best fit here.

Dark Helmet Hog

Chavis is a good coach with top SEC experience. Can anyone know how successful he will be at Arkansas? No. Every situation and set of variables is different from one school to the next. There is no guarantee of success for any coach we hire, but I'll take the odds with Chavis.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 05:13:06 pm
This came from his article and it's impressive!

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/john-chavis-to-be-new-defensive-coordinator-at-arkansas

Note how his first year is always good, while his last year is poor, probably because he knows he's on the way out.

List the first and second round picks he had to work with. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChopSooie

I like his defensive principles stated in the article attached in the thread. He seems to match Coach Morris's philosophies.

Inhogswetrust

All I know is this. If all this is true then next year at the game don't go to the concession stand when the Hogs are on offense or defense! You might miss something.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kennypig

My only questions about Chavis . . .
He's 61 years old.
I've heard Tennessee fans say he didn't like to recruit while he was there.
Doesn't seem to have the 'enthusiasm' I thought CCM was looking for.
He's had superior talent at Tennessee, LSU, and TA&M . . . how will he do at Arkansas ?

On the other hand.
If he is who Coach Morris wants, that's who we should get. I like everything CCM has done and said so far.

Leadbelly

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
Oh we can field a team. Just not a championship team. But if that's ok with you, by all means. The gobs sure know how to pull one over on the fans. Not this one.

Are you a real Dr. or do you just play one on TV?
Dr. DICK Starcs maybe?
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

redeye

I know many don't believe in TOP, but I still think it has a place in college football.  I'm sure many think our TOP will be bad with Morris' high-octane offense, but his TOP at SMU was actually in the plus for 2 of his 3 years there.  At Clemson, it was poor until 2014, but has been great ever since.

Morris arrived at Clemson in 2011 and Venables in 2012, so it took them a couple of years together to get Clemson's TOP in the positive.  A&M was in the negative for TOP in all 3 years that Chavis was there.

My point?  Morris' offense won't be the killer for Chavis that many believe it will.  Morris may have also figured something out at Clemson, along with Venables, and took it with him to SMU, since their TOP was decent while he was there.

Madface Magician

Do NOT sell Chavis short .....let him plow the field and see what it yields 😉

HogHomer

Quote from: kennypig on December 29, 2017, 06:17:12 pm
My only questions about Chavis . . .
He's 61 years old.
Doesn't seem to have the 'enthusiasm' I thought CCM was looking for.
He's had superior talent at Tennessee, LSU, and TA&M . . . how will he do at Arkansas ?

On the other hand.
If he is who Coach Morris wants, that's who we should get. I like everything CCM has done and said so far.
It sounds like,from the rumors, he's going to be surrounded by a hard working energetic defensive staff, the position coaches do most of the leg work in recruiting anyways. So we won't have to worry about your first point.

If he brings an aggressive opportunistic defense as his philosophy shows he coaches then it will improve our defense to a level where it puts our offense in positions to win.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
Oh we can field a team. Just not a championship team. But if that's ok with you, by all means. The gobs sure know how to pull one over on the fans. Not this one.

Who are the "gobs"?  Give me the names so I can send them an email.  I look forward to your reply.

HognitiveDissonance

Bring him in, fine, but not for the money he was making at A&M.

Bash

Quote from: elksnort on December 29, 2017, 04:29:30 pm
I would think if you were a professional competitive and had some pride in your craft that you would care about what your defense looks like in the football game if you are defensive coordinator.

Fair point, but when it's your last game and you have been dissed by the incoming coach, you just can't put the same effort into the game you would otherwise, even if you really want to.  It's just human nature.  Brent Venables discussed this very thing when he was at Kansas St. and knew he was going to Oklahoma.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: dbhog on December 29, 2017, 05:12:32 pm
He is the best DC available?  His defense got shredded today.  No thanks.
We are fixing to massively overpay for Sitting Bull.

Bash

Quote from: kennypig on December 29, 2017, 06:17:12 pm

Coordinator's shouldn't be recruiting in today's college football.  They should be coaching and "coordinating," not recruiting.  The coaching assistants should be recruiting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on December 29, 2017, 08:24:26 pm

There are only about ten or less coaches in college football NOT massively overpaid.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

Yep. We hired hc on Gus recommendation. And now hiring chief when Aggies are running him out of town. What could go wrong. Smdh

Hawg Life

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 08:34:28 pm
Yep. We hired hc on Gus recommendation. And now hiring chief when Aggies are running him out of town. What could go wrong. Smdh

Gus didn't recommend Morris, and we wouldn't listen if he had because Arkansas is Gus dream job. Jerry Jones wanted Morris, and it's a great fit. Chavis is a Hall of Fame type coach that will get us assistants that no other coordinator would have gotten us. I don't love the hire, but I do see why he was hired. Also, hiring a $1.6M coordinator shows commitment to winning, which we haven't shown with previous coordinators.

Wildhog

December 29, 2017, 08:47:00 pm #187 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:21:51 pm by Wildhog
Nm
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

opineonswine

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 29, 2017, 08:45:41 pm

Gus didn't recommend Morris, and we wouldn't listen if he had because Arkansas is Gus dream job. Jerry Jones wanted Morris, and it's a great fit. Chavis is a Hall of Fame type coach that will get us assistants that no other coordinator would have gotten us. I don't love the hire, but I do see why he was hired. Also, hiring a $1.6M coordinator shows commitment to winning, which we haven't shown with previous coordinators.

About the time I decide this site is populated by morons someone makes a smart post.  Thank you.

Wildhog

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 09:08:12 pm
About the time I decide this site is populated by morons someone makes a smart post.  Thank you.

This board is definitely populated by morons.  Look how long it took people to realize Bielema was a joke.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BOAR_N2BWILD

Don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree with what you are saying here. However, one could argue that having a 15 million dollar buyout was  commitment to winning also. I won't be devastated by a Chavis hire but I am willing to give him a shot.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

grayhawg

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 29, 2017, 09:26:33 pm
Don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree with what you are saying here. However, one could argue that having a 15 million dollar buyout was  commitment to winning also. I won't be devastated by a Chavis hire but I am willing to give him a shot.
No that buyout is on an ignorant AD

Bash

Quote from: Wildhog on December 29, 2017, 09:23:09 pm
This board is definitely populated by morons.

Yet you have posted to this board 41,000 times.  8)

SchrodingersHog

I will leave it to more knowledgable Hogvillians to opine about whether Chavis is the best or just the best we could hire at Arkansas.

What I find amusing is the report that Chavis will be the highest paid assistant in school history.  Are we in a bidding war with another school?  Does Jimbo plan to keep Chavis at A&M? If not, and if Chavis is going to be looking for a job, why is the UoA throwing money at him? 

Jimbob111

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 29, 2017, 01:30:54 pm
Remember Utah DESTROYING Alabama in that bowl game a few years back?  Remember Mizzou killing us with Herring as the interim?  Motivation means a lot in these games. I am a bit worried about Chavis' A&M defensive performances but he did make them better than they were so if he can make us just "solid" that will be light years ahead of where we have been.

Yes! The Hogs had the worst defense in the history of college football under Bielema. Think what could have been with three or four key stops in those close games the Hogs lost....

That makes Bielema a fair to good coach. But the defense didn't get those key stops and an 8 win season became a 4 win season and made Bielema the worst coach in Arkansas history.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Stu

I think I'm ok w that...after all, didn't Sittng Bull route one General Custard and his army?   

jgphillips3

John Chavis would be the biggest "name" DC we have hired in my lifetime.  So what if we couldn't hire Venables.  No one else hired him away either.  He is a huge get and is easily a top 20 DC even now.  If it doesn't work...next.  However, he is a great coach and doesn't deserve the hate.  Not yet anyway.  Let's see what he can do here before bagging on him.

Bash

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on December 29, 2017, 09:48:15 pm
Are we in a bidding war with another school?  Does Jimbo plan to keep Chavis at A&M?

From Schrodinger's thought experiment regarding your questions:

Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No.

Both are true, of course.  Or maybe neither are true.

Pork Twain

I do love how the negative Nancys are ignoring everything the man has done before A&M and only focusing on what he has done at A&M.  Classic Hogville
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jmark

i like spendin' jerry's money
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007