Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It struck me as... odd

Started by ambien_sky, December 29, 2017, 12:34:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 08:42:48 am
It's been my experience that the realist have hit the mark at a significant clip higher than the optimist.

In theory, realists would be right 100% of the time, if definition is seeing things as they really are.  Right?  Optimists and pessimists as a better than/worse than have around 50% chance of being right at some time.  I believe only history gives us enough perspective to be able to assess that.  Just my thought process.   

Every single soul has an agenda so please quit trying to make that sound like something bad.  You have an agenda when you bad mouth people for having an agenda.  An agenda is usually reserved for folks that have a long range plan in my opinion.  Folks have ideas, leanings, opinions.  I believe the word agenda and troll are used way too much on here.  It would be my agenda to have those two words banned if I could.

lumphog

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 29, 2017, 12:34:06 am
That people are attacking Chad Morris,  and people are feeling the need to defend him,  before the man has even coached one down of football at Arkansas.  As I was reading all the posts and comments,  this just all of a sudden seemed really strange.

I have an idea for the people who are 'already'  tearing Chad Morris and his incoming staff down -   How about letting him coach a few games first?  That kind of seems fair.  Sometimes, with this this seemingly overly entitled,  hostile fan base,  I wonder why any decent coach would come here at all.  It's kind of ridiculous.
Well . . . It's the TIMES we live in, full of idiots that THINK they know everything. I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was STRONG. . . .

AirWarren

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:10:58 am
You negative nannies never have understood the concept of context............................

My Dad had heart surgery. His doctor told him what needed to be done but then made sure to tell him the success rate was very high for the surgery he needed. In other words real but at the same time optimistic.

Trust me, I understand a lot. I work in a realist profession that lacks sugar coating. This are what it is. And that translates over to many other views and opinions I have. Including the hogs.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on December 29, 2017, 09:43:31 am
Here is a quote from Benjamin Franklin:
“I'd rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised.”― Benjamin Franklin

Maybe he was pessimistic that France would fund the American Revolution when he boarded the ship to go ask the French for money.  But if he hadn't made the trip, you might be speaking with a British accent. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

He certainly wasn't my first choice, but I still think a good hire.  i can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

the Bert hire isbthe only one I really flipped out over.
Let's make some waves.

ambien_sky

To the realists,

Why do anything?  You're just going to die and it isn't going to matter.  That is the truth.  We are here a short, what, 80 years?  Keeping in mind how long the earth and even universe has been here,  that is like a flash of lightning in a summer storm cloud.  It doesn't matter one bit.  Even your loved ones that remember and miss you,  they will also die in a short few years,  and then that will even be lost. 

Expanding outside earth's orbit, into the universe,   we have the vastness of space -  infinity.   We are one of billions of planets, inside one of billions of galaxies (that mathematically must have other life)   out in the unknown universe.  Our entire Galaxy is but a grain of sand on a beach.  It doesn't matter in the least to anything.   

Eventually,  the sun is going to become a red giant,  go supernova,  and explode -  destroying the earth and galaxy.  The light will be a tiny flash in space,  as everything humans have ever done here is erased.   

So,  to the realists,   why even live at all?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 09:33:47 am
You listed some remarkable people. Now list those who failed. That list will be much longer.

There's a great story about Dolly.  She comes from very humble roots, as many of you know.  So it probably wasn't as hard for her as an aspiring artist to roam the halls of Nashville hotels when she was hungry and eat from room service trays left outside of doors. 

I'm in the dreamer business.  For 25 years I've worked with aspiring singers and songwriters who come to Nashville following their dreams.  I've seen a few make it big.  I've seen others struggle for years and never give up.  I can swing around in my chair right now and look at CD after CD of talented artists you've never heard of, and I could tell you a lot of stories.  But I won't because I was their lawyer.  What I will tell you is that they all had talent and all believed in their heart that they would make it.  That is the kind of commitment that makes remarkable people.  It is the kind of commitment that creates the men and women in the arena.  Few have it, but thank goodness they do.   

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 29, 2017, 10:35:38 am
To the realists,

Why do anything?  You're just going to die and it isn't going to matter.  That is the truth.  We are here a short, what, 80 years?  Keeping in mind how long the earth and even universe has been here,  that is like a flash of lightning in a summer storm cloud.  It doesn't matter one bit.  Even your loved ones that remember and miss you,  they will also die in a short few years,  and then that will even be lost. 

Expanding outside earth's orbit, into the universe,   we have the vastness of space -  infinity.   We are one of billions of planets, inside one of billions of galaxies (that mathematically must have other life)   out in the unknown universe.  Our entire Galaxy is but a grain of sand on a beach.  It doesn't matter in the least to anything.   

Eventually,  the sun is going to going to become a red giant,  go supernova,  and explode -  destroying the earth and galaxy.  The light will be a tiny flash in space,  as everything humans have ever done here is erased.   

they are SO afraid of being disappointed that they refuse to 'get their hopes up' about anything. A PATHETIC existence and I want no parts of it. They are in need of some mental health, imo. It reeks of low self esteem.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vantage 8 dude

That people are attacking Chad Morris,  and people are feeling the need to defend him,  before the man has even coached one down of football at Arkansas.  As I was reading all the posts and comments,  this just all of a sudden seemed really strange.

I have an idea for the people who are 'already'  tearing Chad Morris and his incoming staff down -   How about letting him coach a few games first?  That kind of seems fair.  Sometimes, with this this seemingly overly entitled,  hostile fan base,  I wonder why any decent coach would come here at all.  It's kind of ridiculous.
Totally agree. Yep, some already don't like the staff(which hasn't even been completed yet), the way the team practices, their record for next year (whatever that might be), some of the players recruited, etc, etc, etc. And of course the first thing is that some don't agree with the hiring of Morris himself.

While everyone's entitled to their own opinion, it would certainly be nice for some to actually form it AFTER some of these things have come into clearer focus and more FACTS have actually been gathered. Then again, for a select few they'd bitch and complain no matter who was hired and how the team played. Some just have to be malcontents....they will always be with us.

opineonswine

So true.  Sometimes it's just embarrassing.  Mean spirited people are no fun to be around.

okrazorback

I have no opinion either way, but it is just as odd all the people talking about how great he is before he coaches a game. I only have hope.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: okrazorback on December 29, 2017, 10:44:02 am
I have no opinion either way, but it is just as odd all the people talking about how great he is before he coaches a game. I only have hope.
no it's not ye salty olde bastage. Having hope in a rockstar new coach isnt "odd".
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bphi11ips

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 10:43:10 am
So true.  Sometimes it's just embarrassing.  Mean spirited people are no fun to be around.

I've come to view negative posters here the same way I view negative fans in the stands.  The difference here is that you can tell the negative posters what you think if you want to.  Or you can ignore them like you do at the game. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 29, 2017, 10:49:47 am
I've come to view negative posters here the same way I view negative fans in the stands.  The difference here is that you can tell the negative posters what you think if you want to.  Or you can ignore them like you do at the game.
i laugh at them openly at the game too  ;D

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 10:23:03 am
Trust me, I understand a lot. I work in a realist profession that lacks sugar coating. This are what it is. And that translates over to many other views and opinions I have. Including the hogs.

Working in profession like that doesn't mean one has to be that way off the job.

I worked in hotel/restaurants for thirty years. They have to be kept spotless and sanitized. My house and kitchen are not that way all the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 29, 2017, 10:49:47 am

We all can get negative sometimes. However the optimistic approach overall for the future is a lot better to have than a negative one!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

okrazorback

Quote from: Skandar Jackson link=topic=654649.msg11293232to quit#msg11293232 date=1514555415
I would support this, yes.

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 29, 2017, 08:57:30 am
It doesn't strike me as odd.  We hired an unproven up-and-comer.  People are nervous. 

Is it fair to him?  Well, that's a different question for a different thread.  But it's definitely not "odd" or unexpected. 

Of course  it is fair to him. People can talk about me all they want as long as I get my millions. Of course for me the word millions is replaced by the word dollars

okrazorback

I guess i really wanted to be heard. I posted the same thing twice. Sorry

d3maybe

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 01:24:05 am
He is the head coach of my beloved Razorbacks.  I'm going to cheer for him and hope and pray for his success here.  I'm going to look for reasons to be happy about his hire until he gives me reasons to be unhappy.  That is just how I'm wired...I like going to the positive first.

I think it is a shallow person that needs it to be known that they are the "realist" when really all they are is a wet blanket.  Sports are not about reality, but fantasy, and hope, and believing in miracles and the impossible.  Great heartbreak accompanies great love and great hope...but I'd rather have hope and excitement in my life than to live like some of these folks that want to be able to say, "I told you so..." and get some kind of pleasure out of being miserable and making everyone around them miserable.

Just my opinion though.

THIS!!

I have always been 100% like this, even as a kid back in the 70's watching Gary Anderson, Billy Ray and those guys... I was always the "eternal optimist" as I got labeled. To me that's what make sports fun... I have a job and other life events that remind me on a daily basis of whats "real" or not. Sports is to have great fun, paint faces, dress crazy, and have the belief that Hogs are gonna win every game then get with 100K of my friends and yell and scream Wooo Pig Soooiie.

It really doesn't need to be much more complicated than that does it?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 29, 2017, 10:51:02 am
i laugh at them openly at the game too  ;D

I was laughing at all the W's posters were throwing up beside all the games before the season started. There is being a fan and there is being delusional. Apparently delusion is what many want here.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:09:41 am
Yes it does exist:

Definition of allot. allotted; allotting. transitive verb. 1 : to assign as a share or portion.
Yes as in an allotment from one bank account to another.  The way it was used is incorrect and saying I have alot of money or allot of money are equally wrong.  One is word choice and one is spelling
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

elksnort

You are certainly correct in what you are thinking, but are you new to message boards?
We live in a world of knee jerk reactions to everything.

jgphillips3

What if Danny Ford had left that team for Petrino instead of Nutt?  I think that is the most analogous situation to the current transition.  We have a team loaded with good talent that was improperly applied and poorly coached.  I think the 2018 team will surprise a lot of people just like the 1998 team did but we unfortunately have more than just one National Title contender between us and December.  I think Morris will bring the energy of Nutt with the intellect of Petrino and we will at least see a team that properly utilizes the talent it has (because that's what high school coaches have to do) and fights hard.  That should be good enough, coupled with an easier schedule to launch us to something not less than 7-5 or 8-4.  Moving beyond that will be hard until the system is fully in place and we continue to load up on speed.  The indicators for greatness and mediocrity are both there.  For now, it's only sensible to go with the positives and see what he does the next two years.  Then, in 2020, we'll have the year that should indicate what he is really capable of doing.

elksnort

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 29, 2017, 10:35:38 am
To the realists,

Eventually,  the sun is going to become a red giant,  go supernova,  and explode -  destroying the earth and galaxy.  The light will be a tiny flash in space,  as everything humans have ever done here is erased.   

As a former philosophy major, I appreciate your post.

Science Fiction Greg

I will tell you what it is.  Exactly what it is.  I've been around it a lot and had a heck of a time cutting it out at the root.

It's loser mentality.

These people know the most likely outcome is that it won't work out and they will be disappointed in the end.  They know this because it's the way it's always been in their life.  Things didn't work out for them, so they gave up in every future thing they did, leading to it never working out in any of those things either.  Meaning everything in their life has mysteriously not worked out.  They develop the defense mechanism (also simultaneously ensuring their own failure) of complaining and criticizing everything constantly from the outset.  That way, when it inevitably doesn't work out in the end, they are there to say "I told you so."  It's the only source of pride they can generate in their lives and the only way they've figured out that will make them feel a little bit better.

It's loser mentality.  If you want to win, you have to get rid of it.  Plain and simple.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 04:08:10 am
So, you can be wired as an optimist, but not a realist?

You can be wired to be a negative, miserable person all you want. :)

I think you (I mean "you" generally, not YOU specifically) can choose how to act.  I don't have to be optimistic, you don't have to be negative and miserable.
Retired Radio Host

Al Boarland

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 29, 2017, 12:18:54 pm
I will tell you what it is.  Exactly what it is.  I've been around it a lot and had a heck of a time cutting it out at the root.

It's loser mentality.

These people know the most likely outcome is that it won't work out and they will be disappointed in the end.  They know this because it's the way it's always been in their life.  Things didn't work out for them, so they gave up in every future thing they did, leading to it never working out in any of those things either.  Meaning everything in their life has mysteriously not worked out.  They develop the defense mechanism (also simultaneously ensuring their own failure) of complaining and criticizing everything constantly from the outset.  That way, when it inevitably doesn't work out in the end, they are there to say "I told you so."  It's the only source of pride they can generate in their lives and the only way they've figured out that will make them feel a little bit better.

It's loser mentality.  If you want to win, you have to get rid of it.  Plain and simple.

What if you are successful in your personal life, but can evaluate a situation and understand the challenges?

I can appreciate a great underdog story just as much as the next guy, but you "loser mentality" folks give me a good laugh.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:15:43 am
I bet you're a hoot at parties................

At parties I don't have to analyze a football program and where it falls in the competitive landscape of college football.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:25:19 pm
What if you are successful in your personal life, but can evaluate a situation and understand the challenges?

I can appreciate a great underdog story just as much as the next guy, but you "loser mentality" folks give me a good laugh.

Oh you can certainly have loser mentality in just one area of your life.  I've seen that plenty.  No idea what the underdog story and the good laugh bit are getting at.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

d3maybe

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:29:54 pm
At parties I don't have to analyze a football program and where it falls in the competitive landscape of college football.

You don't have to on message boards either...

Al Boarland

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 29, 2017, 12:35:18 pm
Oh you can certainly have loser mentality in just one area of your life.  I've seen that plenty.  No idea what the underdog story and the good laugh bit are getting at.

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:38:47 pm
Sounds like you have it all figured out.

I have this much figured out, yes.  Absolutely.  I've built two successful programs and I had to deal with this at both.  It's amazing how much better things get when you get rid of the people that have this mentality.  I've seen it in countless other places, advised friends dealing with it at their programs, you name it.  It's real, it's a problem, and the symptoms are literally ALL OVER this message board.

Al Boarland

Quote from: d3maybe on December 29, 2017, 12:35:42 pm
You don't have to on message boards either...

Well, I suppose I could jump in the boat and row in sync without giving thought to my posts, but I've said it before. I tend to go for being right. Just how I am. I can understand if that gets some posters pom-poms in a tangle.

AirWarren

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:41:19 pm
Well, I suppose I could jump in the boat and row in sync without giving thought to my posts, but I've said it before. I tend to go for being right. Just how I am. I can understand if that gets some posters pom-poms in a tangle.

That's how they want it on here. Streamlined thought toward sunshine pumping.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 29, 2017, 12:40:38 pm
I have this much figured out, yes.  Absolutely.  I've built two successful programs and I had to deal with this at both.  It's amazing how much better things get when you get rid of the people that have this mentality.  I've seen it in countless other places, advised friends dealing with it at their programs, you name it.  It's real, it's a problem, and the symptoms are literally ALL OVER this message board.

I would personally like to present you with the Hogville consultant of the year award. Your ability to turn around two programs is a testiment to your professional dedication and aptitude.

Cheers!

DeltaBoy

As my Grandmother used to say some people are born to bi#@h about everything.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:44:28 pm
I would personally like to present you with the Hogville consultant of the year award. Your ability to turn around two programs is a testiment to your professional dedication and aptitude.

Cheers!

I'm beyond thrilled to have your approval.

d3maybe

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:41:19 pm

You just said you didn't "have" to at parties... why not? What makes you feel like you need to impart your vast knowledge on the message board masses but not at a party?

d3maybe

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 12:42:33 pm
That's how they want it on here. Streamlined thought toward sunshine pumping.

No more than YOU guys wanting to keep the crabs in a bucket mentality and dragging everyone back down to your level.

You might want to give thought to everyone rowing together instead of pulling against one another all the time and getting absolutely no where.

Just a thought.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: d3maybe on December 29, 2017, 12:45:58 pm
You just said you didn't "have" to at parties... why not? What makes you feel like you need to impart your vast knowledge on the message board masses but not at a party?

That's an easy one.  Here there's a record and he can point people back to where he "told you so."  That way he can feel good whether we win or lose.  Also, he can do it here without having to endure the eyerolls and people just walking away from him.

Al Boarland

Quote from: d3maybe on December 29, 2017, 12:45:58 pm

It's a board to discuss the program. It's not a pep rally.

OrvilleRedenporker

Bret Bielema is a good guy.  Losing Sam Pittman was huge.  Huge negative in recruiting and in game adjustments.  Look at the good young offensive line Georgia has.  Go back and watch how dominant we were at Texas Tech and in the Houston bowl.  After coach Pittman got away, Coach Bielema was already in delegation mode based on those good assistants he had early.  When the staff became worse, we missed on a couple of recruiting classes at O Line and Line backer and we got two large blown leads at the end of last season and a terrible season this year.  Losing Pittman and missing on recruits spelled doom for this staff.  Can't miss on two classes in a row at Arkansas.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on December 29, 2017, 12:53:43 pm
Bret Bielema is a good guy.  Losing Sam Pittman was huge.  Huge negative in recruiting and in game adjustments.  Look at the good young offensive line Georgia has.  Go back and watch how dominant we were at Texas Tech and in the Houston bowl.  After coach Pittman got away, Coach Bielema was already in delegation mode based on those good assistants he had early.  When the staff became worse, we missed on a couple of recruiting classes at O Line and Line backer and we got two large blown leads at the end of last season and a terrible season this year.  Losing Pittman and missing on recruits spelled doom for this staff.  Can't miss on two classes in a row at Arkansas.

You might have posted this in the wrong thread?

Snout team

Great OP.  I think some will talk down every hire so they can be "right" when things go badly.  Eventually they almost always go badly in time.  It is just the nature of prolonged competition.

What are the odds a FB coach leaves an SEC team without being fired? 
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

d3maybe

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 12:51:55 pm
It's a board to discuss the program. It's not a pep rally.

I think its probably closer to Oatmeals explanation...

Why isn't it a pep rally? It should be if its not... I guess it might be different if ANY of us could do JACK about anything but we can't so why not have a pep rally and actually act like we like the "program"?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 04:08:10 am
So, you can be wired as an optimist, but not a realist?

Can you give me an example of the distinction you are making? I am not sure what to think of this because to me it could be used as a characterization of multiple behaviors.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

AirWarren

Quote from: d3maybe on December 29, 2017, 12:48:52 pm
No more than YOU guys wanting to keep the crabs in a bucket mentality and dragging everyone back down to your level.

You might want to give thought to everyone rowing together instead of pulling against one another all the time and getting absolutely no where.

Just a thought.

I'm all in. Hogs on my computer screen saver....hog stickers on my truck, hog license plate, alumni tag on one of our vehicles.

But I just look at things differently than some of you. I'm all hog but I also know our history......

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 01:01:16 pm
I'm all in. Hogs on my computer screen saver....hog stickers on my truck, hog license plate, alumni tag on one of our vehicles.

But I just look at things differently than some of you. I'm all hog but I also know our history......

There it is, plain as day.