Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis new DC

Started by FrJoseph, December 27, 2017, 09:09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 27, 2017, 10:19:06 pm
Agreed, but I'll believe it when the University announces it.

Chavis has been the obvious best possibly available choice to me from the beginning, but what do old men know?
Getting old beats dying young.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm selling a dot matrix printer if anyone is interested. You can print awesome banners with it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

kodiakisland

I'm hoping for the best.  I've seen what he can do with mostly 4 and 5 stars.  Lets see what he does with mostly 3 stars.  I just hope we have an aggressive defense for a change.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

greenie

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 27, 2017, 10:14:52 pm
Hahaha. Not quite. I teach at the North American Colege in Rome. Father was born in AR but had to leave at a young age and was raised in NY by his Uncle. He raised me a diehard Hog fan.

Fr Joe

Excellent!  I meant no disrespect, and glad to know that one with such a heart for the Lord can call the Hogs.

HogNTX

Quote from: Cassperr on December 27, 2017, 09:14:53 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/report-john-chaivs-named-arkansas-defensive-coordinator

One second let me get this straight....

Jeff Rickard from Indianapolis ... a talk show host on a local radio station.... is the only source mentioned and you're actually going to go to print with it???

At least for the love of journalism dig up a few more tweets from guys who actually cover the Razorbacks.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: MissippHog on December 27, 2017, 09:17:07 pm
Probably the best DC we've hired in my lifetime, I just don't see how anyone can say this is an awful hire.

Consider the source.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

wooo

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 09:45:25 pm
To the disappointed:

"Son, I am giving you a 2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S for Christmas."

"Well Crap, I wanted a Maserati GranTurismo MC Centennial Coupe."

Quote of the day

31to6

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 27, 2017, 10:30:18 pm
I'm selling a dot matrix printer if anyone is interested. You can print awesome banners with it.
Not interested unless it can send faxes too....

wooo

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 09:48:27 pm
Well, he could sell the MB and buy the Maserati.

Not far behind quote of the day.

(Can you tell I'm a car guy?)

King Kong

Quote from: HogNTX on December 27, 2017, 10:33:26 pm
At least for the love of journalism dig up a few more tweets from guys who actually cover the Razorbacks.

Then we would know it was incorrect

wooo

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 10:05:21 pm
Probably so.  Here's what I came up with:

2017 Maserati GranTurismo MC Centennial Coupe : $165,627.

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S: $131,200.

And a year later they are both worth 50% of purchase price

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: 31to6 on December 27, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
Not interested unless it can send faxes too....

Will throw in a dial up modem and an AOL cd.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Cassperr

This just goes against what he told a certain recruit in Ashdown..  still gonna hold out but I wonder how these kids whose hes told certain things to will respond.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

colbs

Quote from: Cassperr on December 27, 2017, 10:53:22 pm
This just goes against what he told a certain recruit in Ashdown..  still gonna hold out but I wonder how these kids whose hes told certain things to will respond.
Who did he tell them it was?

King Kong

Quote from: Cassperr on December 27, 2017, 10:53:22 pm

Interesting as a poster in this thread claims to be friends with the Dad of that kid and claimed they had been told nothing of who the new DC would be.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=653655.50

Arkansas Fan

His defenses at Tennessee and LSU were that good because of the tons of talent he had. At A&M, his defenses were soft and couldn't stop the run.

And we want him at Arkansas? With all the problems we have on defense?

King Kong

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 27, 2017, 10:58:04 pm
His defenses at Tennessee and LSU were that good because of the tons of talent he had. At A&M, his defenses were soft and couldn't stop the run.

You got a better option go ahead and spit it out

checkraiser88

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 27, 2017, 10:58:04 pm

The dude likes aggressive defense with multiple fronts. He has 20 years of experience, connections everywhere, we need to bring in a guy like him.

ambien_sky

Great hire! (if true) lots of experience. He should have us fielding a good defense.   I swear,  some Razorback fans are never going to be happy with anything.  Unless we hired Saban as the head coach,  Petrino offensive coordinator, Venables defensive coordinator,  and perhaps Gruden as assistant coach,  they wouldn't be happy. 

Just enjoy having an exciting new coach and a good, experienced DC coming in.   

King Kong

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 27, 2017, 11:02:31 pm
The dude likes aggressive defense with multiple fronts. He has 20 years of experience, connections everywhere, we need to bring in a guy like him.

Agreed
Even his defenses at A&M had great numbers in tackles for loss and good TO numbers.

Also his defenses at A&M were much better than when he got there.

We have issues with minimal Dline talent. But I believe we have talent at LB and DB's to make a solid jump with an actual good coach

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 27, 2017, 10:21:10 pm

Not according to John Derek. But then again he didn't marry Bo until he was 50.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TheRazorback500

Good hire if true. Need confirmation. Not good at counting chickens. WPS
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Dark Helmet Hog

If true, good hire. There is not a person out there that will make everyone happy.

ambien_sky

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 27, 2017, 11:10:42 pm
Not according to John Derek. But then again he didn't marry Bo until he was 50.

I dunno about that.  Like The Great John Mellencamp said,  "Oh, life goes on,  long after the thrill of livin' is gone."

hog_fan

Official is announcement from the university. They won't be announcing anything until A&M fires him which will be Friday night at earliest

King Kong

Quote from: hog_fan on December 27, 2017, 11:19:20 pm
Official is announcement from the university. They won't be announcing anything until A&M fires him which will be Friday night at earliest

Correct.

I also assume Chad Morris probably had Bo Mattingly and Footballscoop leak that he was the target last Tuesday to help with the early signing period

root_hawg

Is the dude like on a walker, swear he has been around forever?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 27, 2017, 11:06:14 pm
Great hire! (if true) lots of experience. He should have us fielding a good defense.   I swear,  some Razorback fans are never going to be happy with anything.  Unless we hired Saban as the head coach,  Petrino offensive coordinator, Venables defensive coordinator,  and perhaps Gruden as assistant coach,  they wouldn't be happy. 

Just enjoy having an exciting new coach and a good, experienced DC coming in.

That wouldn't be good enough for some. They'd want Lane Kiffin for WR coach at the very least in addition to that. They'd hold off on the banners and buying the fireSaban.com domain only until the first time the other team scored a TD. Then the gloves would be off..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

onebadrubi

So let's put something in perspective. Venables was t good enough for our HC by many because he was a lifer at D.C.   It was Many's excuse because they had nothing else against him, but somehow i haven't seen it come up from staunch Chavis supporters. 

We could do much worse than chavis, he wasn't my first want but can work.   Morris doesn't expect to hold people Under 35 points, so we don't have to have a top 15 defense.  That's just what put Clemson to a national title contender the last 3-4 years. 

hobhog

bennyl08

Scoring defense: 10     11 11 2 12 21 4      28 39 81

Rush defense: 12     46 42 5 9 36 47        108 80 64
Pass defense: 4       29 10 8 28 13 3          4 91 66
Total defense: 3       26 12 2 8 15 9          51 90 63

TFL:               45     36 21 3 20 86 61        3 7 29
Sacks:           66     84 18 12 16 54 103     24 17 7
INT:              21     40 11 12 12 73 84       71 49 65
Fumble force: 113   80 1 14 89 88 69        3 13 9
Fumbles rec:  118  114 21 36 14 76 50      89 15 23

3rd down %: 45      39 16 19 12 53 31       16 58 31
4th down %: 64      73 65 49 93 35 47       2 13 98
RZ score %:  31      60 55 106 54 46 34     62 13 117

Long scrimmage plays: 10 22 10 29 2         49 113 36
(10 yards, 30 yards)    11 4 4 14 25           54 92 86

Scoring defense with a good program Chavis is consistently near the top 10. At the aggies, he dropped considerably and became worse as his time there went on. Is he slipping in his old age, did the talent level drop, or did offenses become harder to stop scoring? We should not expect this to be a top 10 unit from him, but somewhere on the right side of a 50 ranking is reasonable.

Yardage defense: Don't expect us to be able to stop the run. He wasn't very good at that at LSU and has been atrocious at Texas A&M trying to stop the run. Passing defense he's is definitely better at as he was a couple of times top 10 and usually top 30. He started off well at the aggies, but precipitously dropped. Again, is he slipping as a coach? Was there a sharp drop in talent to work with? Was he not happy there and the decreased production a sign of of trouble among the coaching staff?

Impact plays: Can vary wildly from one year to the next, but he's typically pretty good. This is one area where he hasn't gotten worse over time at the aggies in terms of lost yardage plays. Given the defensive talent we are oft to have, we should expect to be much improved in lost yardage plays even next year. Interceptions can largely be dependent on personnel. He's shown in the past he can get them consistently, but hasn't been better than 49th in 5 seasons. We have some great players to work with though so I'd expect us to at least on the right side of 50. Fumbles do require a bit of luck. However, overall, he's improved at coaching the defense to force fumbles (save for this most recent season) and his team isn't terrible at getting fumbles either, but again, that's not an easy stat to be consistent in.

Efficiency: Not phenomenal here. Third downs, he has 4 seasons over the past decade in the top 20 at getting off the field on third downs and even when he isn't top 20, he's usually top 50 or not much worse. 4th downs's aren't very good though and usually a 50 ranking puts you at 50/50. Save for the first two years with the aggies, you usually have at least about a 50/50 chance of giving up the fourth down. RZ defense isn't great either, which stands in stark contrast to the scoring defense. Despite having often a top 10 scoring defense overall, if you get into the redzone vs Chavis, you will score. This could partly explain why we've been so good against them in that we can usually move the ball b/w the 20's but struggle sometimes to score.

Chunk plays: Only goes from 2010 while the others start in 2008. With a few exceptions, Chavis is usually even better at stopping big chunk plays (30+ yards) than 10+ yards. Meaning that if you do rip off a big play, it isn't likely to go the distance. This will be good for us. Though, 2/3 seasons at the aggies he's been worse with 30+ plays by ranking than 10+ plays and particularly the most recent season. Overall, he was very good at stopping those at LSU, but his best seasons have only been mediocre at Texas am with some very bad defenses in terms of chunk plays. We should probably not expect the top 20 defense in this area and the results at A&M are more likely to be what we experience here with Chavis.

Overall, my big question is why the results in texas got worse over time, and why the last year was so bad. If I was hiring him, I'd want to know if that was the result of him slipping in older age, him not recruiting at aggies, or if it was discord and disconnect. His best work has come with a more Bielema type offense at LSU and he had some major regression working with a faster paced offense in Texas which is slower than what we are allegedly going to attempt.

Not a terrible hire by any stretch and potential to be a great hire. I like that he is older to counter the youth and inexperience of our HC. However, there are a lot of red flags with this hire as well. Until proven otherwise, I'll trust that the coaching staff checked out those flags and found them to not be a big problem.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronMountainHog

[/quote]
Quote from: FrJoseph on December 27, 2017, 10:14:52 pm
Hahaha. Not quite. I teach at the North American Colege in Rome. Father was born in AR but had to leave at a young age and was raised in NY by his Uncle. He raised me a diehard Hog fan.

Fr Joe
Hey Teach, it's spelled College, not colege.

PorkSoda

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 27, 2017, 11:37:46 pm
So let's put something in perspective. Venables was t good enough for our HC by many because he was a lifer at D.C.   It was Many's excuse because they had nothing else against him, but somehow i haven't seen it come up from staunch Chavis supporters. 

We could do much worse than chavis, he wasn't my first want but can work.   Morris doesn't expect to hold people Under 35 points, so we don't have to have a top 15 defense.  That's just what put Clemson to a national title contender the last 3-4 years.
kind of reaching on that one.  Chavis isnt our head coach and we were never getting venables. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogNTX

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 11:24:55 pm
Correct.

I also assume Chad Morris probably had Bo Mattingly and Footballscoop leak that he was the target last Tuesday to help with the early signing period

Or to throw people back off the Venables talk... I dream... I dream.

redeye

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 27, 2017, 10:02:59 pm
I would expect Chavis to put together an excellent defensive staff

Not expecting top 15 defenses. But his team's always have a lot of tackles for a loss and come up with big TO

We're on the same page.  It would be tough for Chavis to create a top-15 defense, so I expect criticism, regardless of how well he does here.  But I'd be thrilled with a top-40 defense and maybe his experience at A&M will prompt Chavis to look closer at Venables or Grinch have accomplished with high-octane offenses.

I expect our defense will greatly improve, either way.

redeye

Quote from: HogNTX on December 27, 2017, 10:33:26 pm
One second let me get this straight....

Jeff Rickard from Indianapolis ... a talk show host on a local radio station.... is the only source mentioned and you're actually going to go to print with it???

I read up on Rickard to look for his source.  My theory is that these incorrect "leaks" often aren't wrong at all, but just journalists reporting what they've been told.

Apparently Rickard is from Colorado and was a broadcaster for the MLS Rapids there.  The Rapids are owned by Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, which may be coincidental, but could Stan Kroenke be Rickard's source?

Tejano Jawg

Guess I'll tune in tomorrow...   :o
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HogNTX

Quote from: redeye on December 27, 2017, 11:56:07 pm
I read up on Rickard to look for his source.  My theory is that these incorrect "leaks" often aren't wrong at all, but just journalists reporting what they've been told.

Apparently Rickard is from Colorado and was a broadcaster for the MLS Rapids there.  The Rapids are owned by Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, which may be coincidental, but could Stan Kroenke be Rickard's source?

But what connection would Kroenke have to UofA? He's a Missouri grad.

I really think that this is either smoke because there is a fire with Chavis or smoke because people are looking for the fire and jumping on anything with the appearance of credibility.

I figure we're not going to know anything until Jan 2, 5, or 9 anyway. The new contracts for Morris assistants are up the 31st so he'll have some hires to announce... most offensively are known but not announced. He's said he wanted to announce everyone then.... we'll see. I imagine the papers will request FOI's on Jan 1st to get a lowdown on what roles everyone plays in his staff.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: redeye on December 27, 2017, 11:55:40 pm
We're on the same page.  It would be tough for Chavis to create a top-15 defense, so I expect criticism, regardless of how well he does here.  But I'd be thrilled with a top-40 defense and maybe his experience at A&M will prompt Chavis to look closer at Venables or Grinch have accomplished with high-octane offenses.

Honestly, how could it be any worse?
Whoever we get will be an "improvement." Just how much of an improvement is the question. Top 50....I'm good with that based on the last 2 years.

redeye

Quote from: HogNTX on December 28, 2017, 12:06:22 am
But what connection would Kroenke have to UofA? He's a Missouri grad.

Other than family, I don't know?

There's smoke here, either way, but is there fire, too?  I'm guessing someone fed information to Rickard, because why else would he care about the next Arkansas DC?  It's just a matter of the information being right or wrong.

Would LSU firing Canada today have any relevancy?

31to6

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 27, 2017, 10:49:51 pm
Will throw in a dial up modem and an AOL cd.
Check is in the mail.

STLhawg

Quote from: tusked on December 27, 2017, 09:48:52 pm
All I can say is I hope he's as good as his paycheck...
I sure hope we aren't paying him anything close to $1.5mil/year.  He might be worth that after he has had time to prove what he can do here though.

31to6

Quote from: redeye on December 27, 2017, 11:55:40 pm

Modern offenses are changing the definition of a good defense.

Stopping the other guy, keeping scoring down, etc of course all still matter.

But tempo offenses increase the number of drives per game and they tend to put up a ton of yards between the 20's even against good defenses. Traditional defensive stats suffer.

So you have to look at other stats like sacks, TFL, turnovers, QB disruption (hits, hurries, contains, tipped balls, etc), red zone efficiency, etc.

Chavis has been so-so statistically at A&M, but the one thing that has been consistently good there under him are sacks, TFL and QB disrpuption. If nothing else, I think at the very least we will start hitting the other QB now and then—which will be a refreshing change.

Hawgphat

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 27, 2017, 10:21:10 pm

Pristine wisdom incarnate.

8)

hawgmasta

pigture perfect

I would feel more confidence in this staff if true.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bennyl08

Quote from: 31to6 on December 28, 2017, 12:36:37 am
Modern offenses are changing the definition of a good defense.

Stopping the other guy, keeping scoring down, etc of course all still matter.

But tempo offenses increase the number of drives per game and they tend to put up a ton of yards between the 20's even against good defenses. Traditional defensive stats suffer.

So you have to look at other stats like sacks, TFL, turnovers, QB disruption (hits, hurries, contains, tipped balls, etc), red zone efficiency, etc.

Chavis has been so-so statistically at A&M, but the one thing that has been consistently good there under him are sacks, TFL and QB disrpuption. If nothing else, I think at the very least we will start hitting the other QB now and then—which will be a refreshing change.

Somewhat true, but modern offenses don't just exist on a handful of places anymore. The top defenses in the country are going against high speed offenses same as the worst more or less. I.e.a top 10 defense today may give 100 yards and 10 points more than the past, but is still relative to other defenses facing modern offenses.

However, from the modern offenses pov,  I definitely agree about impact plays being more important. Offenses today don't think twice about the other team scoring 30 points. You are expected to score at least 45. Thus, ending their drives quickly for better or worse will let you get the ball back quicker. Today, a qb can be the best defender by making the other team feel they have to score every time they get the ball.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SoonerSooie

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 10:05:21 pm
Probably so.  Here's what I came up with:

2017 Maserati GranTurismo MC Centennial Coupe : $165,627.

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S: $131,200.

But the Maserati is too finicky, too high tech. The MB may be a tic slower (Maybe) but, far more long term durability and reliability-- less maintenance.

Mike_e

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 27, 2017, 10:19:06 pm
Agreed, but I'll believe it when the University announces it.

Chavis has been the obvious best possibly available choice to me from the beginning, but what do old men know?

Generally whether or not that young fella over there is getting the loan or the job.  Whichever.  :)

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!