Chavis new DC

Started by FrJoseph, December 27, 2017, 09:09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbk4life

Get a top notch staff to go with him and let's hammerdown
Let's call those hogs!!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MissippHog on December 27, 2017, 09:17:07 pm
Probably the best DC we've hired in my lifetime, I just don't see how anyone can say this is an awful hire.

He is a Bama fan.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike_e

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 27, 2017, 11:47:03 pm
Scoring defense: 10     11 11 2 12 21 4      28 39 81

Rush defense: 12     46 42 5 9 36 47        108 80 64
Pass defense: 4       29 10 8 28 13 3          4 91 66
Total defense: 3       26 12 2 8 15 9          51 90 63

TFL:               45     36 21 3 20 86 61        3 7 29
Sacks:           66     84 18 12 16 54 103     24 17 7
INT:              21     40 11 12 12 73 84       71 49 65
Fumble force: 113   80 1 14 89 88 69        3 13 9
Fumbles rec:  118  114 21 36 14 76 50      89 15 23

3rd down %: 45      39 16 19 12 53 31       16 58 31
4th down %: 64      73 65 49 93 35 47       2 13 98
RZ score %:  31      60 55 106 54 46 34     62 13 117

Long scrimmage plays: 10 22 10 29 2         49 113 36
(10 yards, 30 yards)    11 4 4 14 25           54 92 86

Scoring defense with a good program Chavis is consistently near the top 10. At the aggies, he dropped considerably and became worse as his time there went on. Is he slipping in his old age, did the talent level drop, or did offenses become harder to stop scoring? We should not expect this to be a top 10 unit from him, but somewhere on the right side of a 50 ranking is reasonable.

Yardage defense: Don't expect us to be able to stop the run. He wasn't very good at that at LSU and has been atrocious at Texas A&M trying to stop the run. Passing defense he's is definitely better at as he was a couple of times top 10 and usually top 30. He started off well at the aggies, but precipitously dropped. Again, is he slipping as a coach? Was there a sharp drop in talent to work with? Was he not happy there and the decreased production a sign of of trouble among the coaching staff?

Impact plays: Can vary wildly from one year to the next, but he's typically pretty good. This is one area where he hasn't gotten worse over time at the aggies in terms of lost yardage plays. Given the defensive talent we are oft to have, we should expect to be much improved in lost yardage plays even next year. Interceptions can largely be dependent on personnel. He's shown in the past he can get them consistently, but hasn't been better than 49th in 5 seasons. We have some great players to work with though so I'd expect us to at least on the right side of 50. Fumbles do require a bit of luck. However, overall, he's improved at coaching the defense to force fumbles (save for this most recent season) and his team isn't terrible at getting fumbles either, but again, that's not an easy stat to be consistent in.

Efficiency: Not phenomenal here. Third downs, he has 4 seasons over the past decade in the top 20 at getting off the field on third downs and even when he isn't top 20, he's usually top 50 or not much worse. 4th downs's aren't very good though and usually a 50 ranking puts you at 50/50. Save for the first two years with the aggies, you usually have at least about a 50/50 chance of giving up the fourth down. RZ defense isn't great either, which stands in stark contrast to the scoring defense. Despite having often a top 10 scoring defense overall, if you get into the redzone vs Chavis, you will score. This could partly explain why we've been so good against them in that we can usually move the ball b/w the 20's but struggle sometimes to score.

Chunk plays: Only goes from 2010 while the others start in 2008. With a few exceptions, Chavis is usually even better at stopping big chunk plays (30+ yards) than 10+ yards. Meaning that if you do rip off a big play, it isn't likely to go the distance. This will be good for us. Though, 2/3 seasons at the aggies he's been worse with 30+ plays by ranking than 10+ plays and particularly the most recent season. Overall, he was very good at stopping those at LSU, but his best seasons have only been mediocre at Texas am with some very bad defenses in terms of chunk plays. We should probably not expect the top 20 defense in this area and the results at A&M are more likely to be what we experience here with Chavis.

Overall, my big question is why the results in texas got worse over time, and why the last year was so bad. If I was hiring him, I'd want to know if that was the result of him slipping in older age, him not recruiting at aggies, or if it was discord and disconnect. His best work has come with a more Bielema type offense at LSU and he had some major regression working with a faster paced offense in Texas which is slower than what we are allegedly going to attempt.

Not a terrible hire by any stretch and potential to be a great hire. I like that he is older to counter the youth and inexperience of our HC. However, there are a lot of red flags with this hire as well. Until proven otherwise, I'll trust that the coaching staff checked out those flags and found them to not be a big problem.

Or maybe the HC was an issue?  If everything was roses and song over there why did they fire Sumlin(sp?)?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hogcards

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 27, 2017, 10:58:04 pm
His defenses at Tennessee and LSU were that good because of the tons of talent he had. At A&M, his defenses were soft and couldn't stop the run.

And we want him at Arkansas? With all the problems we have on defense?

+1000

Yea, seen too much defense at A & M over the past two years. They've been awful.   I still don't think it will be Chavis but it's funny to watch a lot of folks paint this as a positive in fear that it could be him.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogcards on December 28, 2017, 06:10:53 am
+1000

Yea, seen too much defense at A & M over the past two years. They've been awful.   I still don't think it will be Chavis but it's funny to watch a lot of folks paint this as a positive in fear that it could be him.

Bro it's Chavis and that is a good thing

ricepig

+1000

And it's funny seeing folks paint this as a negative because they aren't fans of the program.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on December 28, 2017, 07:44:25 am
And it's funny seeing folks paint this as a negative because they aren't fans of the program.

Yep.  It's quite odd seeing a Bama fan pretend to be a Hog fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Kig

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 10:05:21 pm
Probably so.  Here's what I came up with:

2017 Maserati GranTurismo MC Centennial Coupe : $165,627.

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S: $131,200.

Have driven them both.  The Mercedes is overpriced, but more reliable than the Maserati.
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 27, 2017, 10:58:04 pm
His defenses at Tennessee and LSU were that good because of the tons of talent he had. At A&M, his defenses were soft and couldn't stop the run.

And we want him at Arkansas? With all the problems we have on defense?

So you're saying he didn't have talent at A&M?  I contend that the difference (which will be the same here) is offensive philosophy.  Both Tenner and LSU were more ball control, time-consuming systems, while A&M was more wide open.  Whether a fast paced team scores or not, the defense is going to be back on the field quickly.  This skews the defensive numbers quite a bit.

Chavis knows he has to field an aggressive defense or his guys are going to get worn down.  This is a great hire and you know it, but won't admit it because you have been anti-Chavis from the start.  Gonna give you a piece of your own advice (although I won't start multiple threads telling you how to think like you did with the Morris hire):  if Chavis is the guy, then get on board and give him a chance. 
Poker Porker

Pork Twain

Probably the best DC we've hired in my lifetime, I just don't see how anyone can say this is an awful hire.
Without a doubt the best DC we have hired since I started watching the Hogs in the 80's.

Many on here only live to bitch. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

colbs

He might not  be the best DC in the world but Arkansas can do much worse.  For everyone acting like this would be the best hire ever,  can you name a realistic better candidate with SEC experience? 

He doesn't have to field a top 10 defense if CCM offense is as good as we think.  Also, many including myself have been wanting an attacking defense and Chavis brings that.

buldozer

He has to make us better than we have been of late. He's probably not the best DC but maybe the best we can get right now. I'll give him a chance to prove himself before throwing cold water on him

NotSoFastMyFriend

A squirrel would be an upgrade over last year and yes I mean a dead one.

King Kong

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 28, 2017, 08:40:15 am

I thought you said Bohanon wasn't going to Baylor?

Pork Twain

+1000

Yes if we sign a guy that many consider to be one of the top DC in college football, you will obviously spin it to be a bad thing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

BearsBisonsBoars

I've heard he doesn't like to recruit.

If that's true,  we had better get some gang buster position coaches.

colbs

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 28, 2017, 08:47:40 am

Apparently he's the closer.

HF#1

Chavis would be the best DC Arkansas has had since Holtz's tenure as HC. He will take us from bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack pretty quick.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RebelliousHog

I think Chavis is a good hire for us at this point in time.

For everyone criticizing his work at TAMU, I get the feeling that the atmosphere at TAMU was lax and undisciplined under the Sumlin regime. Look at how they played almost every year he was there. Start good, get some adversity, fade out. They never met expectations under Sumlin.

As many have said about Arkansas and BB. His team reflected his laid back attitude. I think TAMU reflected Sumlins lack of discipline
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Pork Twain

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 28, 2017, 08:47:40 am

Where did you hear this?

BM41

Chavis had three problems at A&M.

1. Quality of depth.  Their first string is talented.  But, they wear down being on the field so much.  Chavis did not have enough quality depth to give the first string a rest.
2. A&M Offense.  Too many 3 and outs, leaving the defense on the field too much.
3. Culture.  Sumlin is a player's coach.  He ran the program with a soft hand and it showed.  The team as a whole lacked the mental toughness that good teams have.  Chavis could not counter this culture.

Hawginj

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 28, 2017, 08:58:30 am
Where did you hear this?
its said by every fanbase at every school he has coached.

HF#1

A&M's best defensive player while Chavis was there was accused of taking plays off. Those teams took the personality of their coach. Chavis couldn't do anything about that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Freebrd

Monte Kiffin was the best defensive coordinator arkansas has ever had.  If I recall correctly, one year we led the nation by allowing only 6 or 9 points a game.  We will see if chavis can equal that!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on December 27, 2017, 10:35:45 pm
Consider the source.

Theses young blogger types passing themselves off as journalist wouldn't know a valid source if it slapped them in the face. They have NO accountability.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawginj

Quote from: HF#1 on December 28, 2017, 09:01:42 am
A&M's best defensive player while Chavis was there was accused of taking plays off. Those teams took the personality of their coach. Chavis couldn't do anything about that.
Thats a head scracher wasn't Chavis their coach? You mean Sumlin didn't have a problem with the players taking plays off and neither did the rest of the coaching staff?

GlassofSwine

Chavis improved A&M's defense considerably, he'll do the same here. He'll immediately move us from one of the worst defenses in the Nation to a solid middle of the pack defense. Plus he knows the SEC very well. I don't expect a Top 10 defense but there isn't a coach you could bring in that will turn Arkansas into a consistent Top 10 defense over night. It's a good hire and 3 years ago everyone on this board would have been rejoicing.

jackflash

if Chavis is indeed the new DC  then getting recruiters at DL,LB and DB are a must

longtimeHogfan

If it's Chavis....and I could warm up to that hire.....is A&M and their new coach letting him go?  So in effect we'd pick up paying him whatever is agreed to in his new contract without any buyout $'s?  I guess I'm wondering what happens to his contract extension he just signed. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HF#1

Quote from: Hawginj on December 28, 2017, 09:06:34 am
Thats a head scracher wasn't Chavis their coach? You mean Sumlin didn't have a problem with the players taking plays off and neither did the rest of the coaching staff?

Sumlin may have had a problem with it but allowed it to continue to happen. If the boss refuses to do anything about it, what makes you think Chavis could?

hobhog

Quote from: Freebrd on December 28, 2017, 09:05:44 am

Monte Kiffin was the best defensive coordinator arkansas has ever had.  If I recall correctly, one year we led the nation by allowing only 6 or 9 points a game.  We will see if chavis can equal that!

And Holtz fired hm!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawginj on December 28, 2017, 09:01:05 am
its said by every fanbase at every school he has coached.
Questionable, but it is par for Arkansas fans to start the negativity train before the hire is made.

Pork Twain

SemperHawg

Quote from: Freebrd on December 28, 2017, 09:05:44 am

This ain't then and we don't need that.  Chavis would be a good hire because he is good enough to do what we need which is offer enough resistance to let CCM's offense outscore people.  Before everyone brings up A&M, consider he has done well enough during his tenure at A&M to help them to a record that everyone here should be jealous of considering what we've just been through.

colbs

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 28, 2017, 09:10:54 am
If it's Chavis....and I could warm up to that hire.....is A&M and their new coach letting him go?  So in effect we'd pick up paying him whatever is agreed to in his new contract without any buyout $'s?  I guess I'm wondering what happens to his contract extension he just signed. 
The assumption is A&M will not retain him so they will owe him the $1.6M.  If Arkansas hires him they could pay him say $1M and A&M would pay him $600,000.  Chavis and Arkansas are both probably waiting so they won't have to pay the buyout.

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 28, 2017, 09:13:17 am
VERY questionable

I didn't say it was the truth, just that it is on every message board, probably on one about Chevy truck owners, lol.

Hawginj

Quote from: HF#1 on December 28, 2017, 09:11:23 am
Sumlin may have had a problem with it but allowed it to continue to happen. If the boss refuses to do anything about it, what makes you think Chavis could?
Chavis was the boss of the defense right? Lets put it this way you work for a company there is 1 main boss and 2 foremen each foreman is over their own group of employees,  sometimes the employees dont show, dont do their jobs who do said employees answer to? Hint its not the boss.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Kig on December 28, 2017, 07:51:23 am
Have driven them both.  The Mercedes is overpriced, but more reliable than the Maserati.

When it comes to cars there is no such thing as a reliable one being overpriced when compered to one not as reliable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

Quote from: Hawginj on December 28, 2017, 09:19:06 am
Chavis was the boss of the defense right? Lets put it this way you work for a company there is 1 main boss and 2 foremen each foreman is over their own group of employees,  sometimes the employees dont show, dont do their jobs who do said employees answer to? Hint its not the boss.

Do you think Sumlin would allow Chavis to bench Myles Garrett or even suspend him for an entire game for taking a play off?

EastexHawg

Quote from: HenduHog on December 28, 2017, 08:57:44 am
For everyone criticizing his work at TAMU, I get the feeling that the atmosphere at TAMU was lax and undisciplined under the Sumlin regime. Look at how they played almost every year he was there. Start good, get some adversity, fade out. They never met expectations under Sumlin.

There was no mystery to A&M's "fade".  They played the easier part of their schedule most every year and beat those teams, then got exposed as the mediocre program they have been when they started facing better competition.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 27, 2017, 09:20:29 pm
I can't believe that Athletic Director Bragg and Head coach Norvell would hire Chavis.

I don't think it's official until it is official

Spit my coffee on this one.  Kudos for the funny... +1
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 28, 2017, 08:40:15 am

Which SEC school were you saying Bohanon was guaranteed to go to?  You know, that one you said he was a silent firm commit and would not waver to appear you are in the know of anything?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on December 28, 2017, 08:52:14 am
Chavis would be the best DC Arkansas has had since Holtz's tenure as HC. He will take us from bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack pretty quick.

Holtz fired some defensive assistants right out from under Don Lindsey when he was DC and didn't tell him. When Lindsey found out he was so mad he flew home and quit. It was another one of those things with Holtz. 

Boog41

Quote from: hobhog on December 28, 2017, 09:11:58 am
And Holtz fired hm!

He left Arkansas for his one and only head coaching job at N.C. State.

Hawginj

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 28, 2017, 09:12:52 am
Questionable, but it is par for Arkansas fans to start the negativity train before the hire is made.
I'm not negative about it. Im in wait and see mode. Is he a very good coach? Past history says yes, more recent history says hes not as good as he once was. We dont know the reasons why things have slipped or why past fanbases laugh at and ridicule the new team he goes to, reading inbetween the lines there is truth on both sides of the debate. I guess we will find out soon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 28, 2017, 08:58:30 am
Where did you hear this?

Probably from Hogville about three weeks ago.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HF#1 on December 28, 2017, 09:20:13 am
Do you think Sumlin would allow Chavis to bench Myles Garrett or even suspend him for an entire game for taking a play off?

SKipper tried to take care of that for him.  haha

HOGINTENNESSEE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on December 28, 2017, 09:11:58 am
And Holtz fired hm!

Wow. He gets fired by Holtz and THEN gets the job as Head coach of NC State where Holtz was Head coach at one time prior. That's impressive.

You might want to check a little harder on that firing thing. Most coaches don't get fired and THEN get a promotion to the same job the person firing them held before.