Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

matt canada out as oc at lsu

Started by Kevin, December 27, 2017, 07:54:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

This has been a long, long time coming, but #LSU plans to split with OC Matt Canada after the Tigers' Citrus Bowl against Notre Dame, multiple sources confirm
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MavND1973

Quote from: Kevin on December 27, 2017, 07:54:46 pm
This has been a long, long time coming, but #LSU plans to split with OC Matt Canada after the Tigers' Citrus Bowl against Notre Dame, multiple sources confirm

Good. I think that weakens LSU.

thebignasty

Quote from: Kevin on December 27, 2017, 07:54:46 pm

Uh, how long? Isn't this Canada's first year there?  He was the backup plan after Kiffin took FAU if I remember correctly.

King Kong

Canada is quickly developing a rep of being difficult to work with.

Enos to LSU? Or does LSU completely drop the prostyle?

thebignasty

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 07:58:03 pm
Canada is quickly developing a rep of being difficult to work with.

Enos to LSU? Or does LSU completely drop the prostyle?

I hope Enos doesnt end up at LSU. 

King Kong

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SmokinHog

Cassperr

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

King Kong

Quote from: hoglady on December 27, 2017, 08:16:10 pm
He's only been at LSU 1 year.

Canada didn't get along with Bielema, Doeren and now Coach O.

nightrider388

King Kong

Quote from: nightrider388 on December 27, 2017, 08:29:01 pm
Is this tiger forums?

If you can tell me who our DC is I'll gladly change topics

nightrider388

texas tush hog

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 08:29:49 pm
If you can tell me who our DC is I'll gladly change topics

John Chavis, now move along.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

LSU's offensive coordinator problems won't be solved anytime soon

QuoteFor most of the season, rumors have swirled about Canada and coach Ed Orgeron butting heads. This seemed to come to a point in LSU's loss to Troy, when Orgeron admitted to "simplifying" Canada's offense, leading to stalled drives and eventually an upset defeat.

If Canada does ultimately leave LSU after the Citrus Bowl, this won't reflect well on either LSU or Canada. For Canada, finding a home becomes problematic. Once a sure thing to become a head coach, Canada doesn't have a natural spot to land for 2018 if LSU isn't the answer. All the Group of 5 head coaching vacancies have been filled, and any offensive coordinator job would be a lateral move, or a step back. Unless he went to the NFL, where he has no experience.

As for LSU, proving incompatible with Canada doesn't bode well for Orgeron and athletic director Joe Alleva down the line. If the rumors are true and Orgeron didn't jell well with Canada, high-profile coordinators might not want to work under Coach O.

Beyond that, there's the simple matter of personnel. Canada wasn't going to have much to work with in 2018 anyway. LSU has to replace Danny Etling at quarterback, Derrius Guice and Darrel Williams at running back and DJ Chark and Russell Gage at wide receiver. Guice, Williams, Chark and Gage accounted for 75 percent of LSU's rushing and receiving yards in 2017, and Etling took all but 25 of the Tigers' dropbacks.

Whether it's Canada or another OC, LSU's offense has a lot to replace in 2018. It's going to be a growing process. Not an enviable task for a returning coach or a new one.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger

Story to be updated: Matt Canada arrived to the bowl site with #LSU on Thursday, and Ed Orgeron says he's "right now" the OC and will call plays vs. #NotreDame in the #Citrus Bowl

Ross Dellenger
‏Verified account @RossDellenger
3h3 hours ago

#LSU will send its two coordinators, Matt Canada and Dave Aranda, and QB Danny Etling and LB Devin White to tomorrow's coordinator/players news conference.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger
1h1 hour ago

From @RabalaisAdv: Ed Orgeron's few words on Matt Canada are quite telling about the state of play for #LSU's offense

http://bit.ly/2lpw3u2

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger

#LSU OC Matt Canada on his future. He says he wants to be here next season.
(video: in his words at link)

Ross Dellenger
14m14 minutes ago

#LSU OC Matt Canada declines to answer a question when asked if he's had control of his offense "all year."

Matt Canada asked about his relationship with Ed Orgeron twice. Same answer: "We both want to win." #LSU

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger
11h11 hours ago

Matt Canada exited #LSU's team locker room area, walking with family members away from the LSU team buses.

A picture worth a lot of words, as his future remains hazy.

hogginbama

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 08:25:12 pm
Canada didn't get along with Bielema, Doeren and now Coach O.

But all the experts here said it was BB's fault he couldn't keep assistants. Now you come and tell us something different.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

DeltaBoy

Wow no one wins in this one. Best bet is to get together at Commanders Palace and drink beer and eat Gumbo and talk this out!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: thebignasty on December 27, 2017, 07:56:41 pm
Uh, how long? Isn't this Canada's first year there?  He was the backup plan after Kiffin took FAU if I remember correctly.

That was my thought. How long can it be coming when you have been on the job less than a year. 
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger
14h14 hours ago

Just said it on @finebaum so I'll go ahead and tweet it now: If you were wondering, #LSU OC Matt Canada returned to Baton Rouge today on the team plane.

As far as we know, he remains the Tigers offensive coordinator.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Won't this Matt Canada-LSU situation just come to end already?

QuoteWe're more than a week into the slow breakup between LSU and offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Before the Tigers' Citrus Bowl loss to Notre Dame, reports surfaced signifying the end of Canada's one-year tenure as LSU's offensive coordinator and play caller. But here we are in Week 2 of the saga and nothing has been resolved.

The Advocate's Ross Dellenger reported Thursday that Canada and LSU are reaching a settlement, working out the details of Canada's $3.3 million split with the program. Dellenger's report said the settlement should be completed by the end of the weekend. If that's the case, let's hope for both parties that this doesn't devolve into another John Chavis situation.

It's going to be difficult to look back at Canada's tenure at LSU and not immediately think of the acrimony surrounding his departure.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger
13h13 hours ago

A chart in that story of #LSU's offensive coordinator history and national rankings, as the Tigers move on from Matt Canada

http://bit.ly/2E9tNyW

mizzouman

Will be a candidate to go to Mizzou

thebignasty

Quote from: mizzouman on January 05, 2018, 10:18:04 am
Will be a candidate to go to Mizzou

Looks like y'all took Derek Dooley instead lol

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Matt Canada officially out as LSU offensive coordinator after one year

Quote"As the head coach, you have to make tough decisions," Orgeron said. "I chose to go in a different direction in order to get where I believe we need to be as a program."

Canada had run successful offenses at several previous stops, including one of the country's best attacks at Pittsburgh in 2016. But his motion-based, tempo-oriented offense never seemed a good fit for the more conservative Orgeron, who favored a power-based scheme.

Canada is expected to receive a $1.7 million settlement to buy out the final two years of his LSU contract, according to The Advocate's Ross Dellenger. Orgeron did not immediately name a successor.

"We will identify a coach with a wealth of experience who is totally committed to the vision of the program and has the drive to do whatever it takes to see it through," Orgeron said.

jbcarol

The Advocate
‏Verified account @theadvocatebr

Rabalais: Even by LSU standards, the Matt Canada experience was bitter and bizarre. https://buff.ly/2CYTRxb

Ross Dellenger
14h14 hours ago

Should be noted: The ~$1.7 million settlement figure we reported between #LSU and Matt Canada is not final and won't be final until Saturday, when the deal is fully executed. It could fluctuate.