Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where does your state rank in producing Power 5 recruits the past 10 years?

Started by jbcarol, December 19, 2017, 08:50:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

This chart should be stickied on both MMQB and the recruiting forum and automatically inserted anytime anyone says Arkansas produces plenty of talent.

119 p5 recruits, and that would count players signed by the hogs that were not recruited by any other p5 school.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cjack

Right around the top 25, along with almost every other stat, which is why we should always be around the top 25 in win/loss
Woooo Pig Soooie!

HogPokerPlayer

Quote from: cjack on December 19, 2017, 10:47:19 am
Right around the top 25, along with almost every other stat, which is why we should always be around the top 25 in win/loss

Don't think that logic computes like that.

je100

Quote from: HogPokerPlayer on December 19, 2017, 10:50:48 am
Don't think that logic computes like that.

Right.  So, NYU should finish right around the top 25 every year too.

Underachievers.

hogsanity

Except top 25 is only about 10th in the sec. In this case, the only sec state with fewer p5 recruits is Kentucky. As has been pointed out before, when 9 or 10 schools in your league are signing better players every year you are going to lose too many games to be in the top 25.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bville_hog

010HogFan

hogsanity

azhog10

cjack

Quote from: je100 on December 19, 2017, 10:53:23 am
Right.  So, NYU should finish right around the top 25 every year too.

Underachievers.

My comment was to stir up old Hogsanity.  Nothing else.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on December 19, 2017, 01:29:17 pm
This topic is brought up every year. I guess we should just accept this and realize we will never have a top 5 team in the country....Its not like a Michigan or Indiana school is competing for a national championships from time to time......

I do not think that points that out. I do think it points out the fallacy of thinking that recruiting Arkansas MORE is going to fix anything. This renewed fixation, among some, that Morris needs to be spending more time trying to sign instate players is ludicrous.

ChicoHog

And the top 4 states produce about as much as the other 46 combined.  Amazing stats.  I think the one that surprises me the most is North Carolina.  None of those colleges have capitalized on their home grown talent.  Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Va Tech etc., raid that state regularly.  And they have 4 Power 5 schools also.  Ohio has one.  Big advantage there. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 19, 2017, 01:42:58 pm
And the top 4 states produce about as much as the other 46 combined.  Amazing stats.  I think the one that surprises me the most is North Carolina.  None of those colleges have capitalized on their home grown talent.  Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Va Tech etc., raid that state regularly.  And they have 4 Power 5 schools also.  Ohio has one.  Big advantage there. 

One thing that is tough to know is how many of the p5 players from each state signed with a p5 school in state. So, in NC for instance, how many kids signed with NC/NCST/DUKE/WAKE but really had no other p5 offers.

Same for Arkansas, the numbers show almost 12 p5 signees every year, but I'd bet well over half of those signed with AR and had no other p5 offers.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 10:42:49 am
This chart should be stickied on both MMQB and the recruiting forum and automatically inserted anytime anyone says Arkansas produces plenty of talent.

119 p5 recruits, and that would count players signed by the hogs that were not recruited by any other p5 school.

Lots of answers in there but it kills the dreamers' reaches.  "How did Penn St recover so quickly?  We should be able to do what Penn St is."  Sure.  Ignore 10, 11 and 13 states on this list. 

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 19, 2017, 01:42:58 pm

NC's population has exploded with transplants from the NE and upper Midwest just as north Ga has.  UNC could be much better with the right coach but the culture there is basketball.  It's why Clemson has such a huge advantage in the ACC.  An SEC school in its culture and emphasis playing in a basketball centric conference. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 19, 2017, 01:54:23 pm
Lots of answers in there but it kills the dreamers' reaches.  "How did Penn St recover so quickly?  We should be able to do what Penn St is."  Sure.  Ignore 10, 11 and 13 states on this list. 

NC's population has exploded with transplants from the NE and upper Midwest just as north Ga has.  UNC could be much better with the right coach but the culture there is basketball.  It's why Clemson has such a huge advantage in the ACC.  An SEC school in its culture and emphasis playing in a basketball centric conference. 
Great point.  UNC, Duke, WF and even NC st value basketball as much or maybe even more than football which you can only say for about 10 schools in the entire country.    I think Davis had UNC going in the right direction until the academic scandal thing hit. If they invest in football they could be a power.   Also hogsanity had good point about power 5 offers vs group of five offers.  that would be a great breakdown. 

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 01:42:26 pm
I do not think that points that out. I do think it points out the fallacy of thinking that recruiting Arkansas MORE is going to fix anything. This renewed fixation, among some, that Morris needs to be spending more time trying to sign instate players is ludicrous.

I think this is fairly dishonest.  I don't think most are saying in-state recruits will fix things.  Just that given we are a state with such limited resources, we need to get every truly SEC caliber kid the state produces.  We just can't afford many misses.  For example, GB, while not a make or break, is a very important recruit for us this year.  Like Brooks, Tenpenny, Hill and Frazier have been in the recent past.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 01:45:29 pm
Same for Arkansas, the numbers show almost 12 p5 signees every year, but I'd bet well over half of those signed with AR and had no other p5 offers.

We've also missed on quite a few and need fewer misses to be successful, imo.  The trend of signing so-so players in NWA needs to stop.  It reeks of lazy recruiting.

I'd also guess that most of those in NC are legit. 

hogsanity

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2017, 02:10:08 pm
We've also missed on quite a few and need fewer misses to be successful, imo.  The trend of signing so-so players in NWA needs to stop.  It reeks of lazy recruiting.

I'd also guess that most of those in NC are legit. 

Can you imagine if we had a class of 25 and only signed 4 or 5 in state kids? This place would melt down.

As for NC, that is the thing, we do not know where they signed or what other offers they had.

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 02:11:35 pm
Can you imagine if we had a class of 25 and only signed 4 or 5 in state kids? This place would melt down.

As for NC, that is the thing, we do not know where they signed or what other offers they had.

NC produces good talent and I suspect they receive a lot of good offers.  Chris Smith wasn't even rated that high, but he was great for Arkansas.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger

AM | Part IV of @davidching77 and I's recruiting series: Texas, Florida and California combined to produce ~5,500 Power 5 football players over the past decade.

The other 47 states: ~9,000.

The Big 3 are a must for every staff

QuoteLike it or not, most college football coaching staffs recruit more outside of their state's boundaries than inside. The talent disparity among states is behind this practice.

How gaping is it? Just look to Florida.

One high school in Fort Lauderdale, St. Thomas Aquinas, produced 71 Power 5 signees over the past decade — more than 16 states produced during that span.

Florida produced 371 Power 5 defensive backs in the past decade. Texas produced 378 Power 5 defensive backs. Illinois cranked out 373 overall signees over that stretch. And Illinois is 12th nationally in overall major conference signees since 2008.

The Big Three produce the most major college football players: Texas (2,036 major conference signees), Florida (1,874) and California (1,641). Georgia (1,240) is fourth and cranked out nearly twice the amount of signees as the fifth-ranked state, Ohio (699).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DLUXHOG

Quote from: azhog10 on December 19, 2017, 01:29:17 pm
This topic is brought up every year. I guess we should just accept this and realize we will never have a top 5 team in the country....Its not like a Michigan or Indiana school is competing for a national championships from time to time......

No, it simply means we should be recruiting the heck out of Texas.... and own it!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)