Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLR & Greenwood

Started by Grunt, December 15, 2017, 05:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 18, 2017, 05:28:07 pm
So let me just break down what I've read in this thread.  Apparently greenwood is good not because of excellent coaching and a winning culture.  They're good because they're rich yuppies who recruit the entire river valley for the best players and they are only legit because they're adjacent to fort smith. 

Do i have that summed up right?  Because that is...the dumbest thing...I've ever heard.  Seriously.  And I've been lurking Hogville for over a decade and I've read some intensely dumb stuff. 

The local community you live in allows those resources and support.  Most 6A schools aren't like that

When Pine Bluff had that type support 20 years ago they looked like a small college and the band took 15 minutes to enter the stadium.......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Billy Bats

Quote from: ImYourHoggleberry on December 18, 2017, 05:30:04 pm
Don't forget about the part where parents hold their kids back a year in elementary school to make them older than everyone else. lol

Forgot that one.  I almost tore an eyeCL muscle

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 05:30:58 pm

No one plays Sr Babe Ruth anymore

It's showcase ball or maybe legion

Not true teams from Camden, Lonoke, Texarkana...PB went on to play in the regional somewhere in Texas.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 05:34:20 pm

The local community you live in allows those resources and support.  Most 6A schools aren't like that

When Pine Bluff had that type support 20 years ago they looked like a small college and the band took 15 minutes to enter the stadium.......

OK but it's 2017 now and Pine Bluff's enrollment has dropped probably by about 1000-1500 students in 20 years. That has nothing to do with our community support. Our resources are scarce but our kids get good community support. This picture you paint is not accurate. Jobs left so did the people same thing that has happen to nearly every town in Southeast Arkansas. 

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 18, 2017, 05:52:16 pm
OK but it's 2017 now and Pine Bluff's enrollment has dropped probably by about 1000-1500 students in 20 years. That has nothing to do with our community support. Our resources are scarce but our kids get good community support. This picture you paint is not accurate. Jobs left so did the people same thing that has happen to nearly every town in Southeast Arkansas. 

PB got white flighted to death.  It went from the money town in Arkansas to dead in a couple generations.

Is what it is. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 06:00:22 pm

PB got white flighted to death.  It went from the money town in Arkansas to dead in a couple generations.

Is what it is.

So because of white flight PB no longer has community support? I'm not sure what point you are making?

ImYourHoggleberry

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 18, 2017, 09:03:16 pm
So because of white flight PB no longer has community support? I'm not sure what point you are making?

thatsracist.gif

IronHog

Not like it did just a generation ago.

If nothing else the erosion of the tax base has been dramatic.

Truth is not many left in PB school district that could be somewhere else......

PorkRyan

Pine Bluff probably had 7k-8k people at the title game in 2015. That was one of the top 5 most attended title games and Pine Bluff outnumbered us.  They support their team just fine.

Greenwood wins because of Coach Jones and the program that he has built.  We have two 10th graders that are from Ft Smith and one from Alma. We have a Junior from Van Buren. We lost a Senior to Northside and a Junior to Hackett so it works both ways.  The Pitbulls program is not why Greenwood wins and they have plenty of crazy dads that run their own system because they are smarter than the high school coaches.  The strong Jr High program and dedication to strength training is a much bigger factor than the youth league.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 09:28:08 pm

Not like it did just a generation ago.

If nothing else the erosion of the tax base has been dramatic.

Truth is not many left in PB school district that could be somewhere else......

You still are not making sense! In raw numbers PB doesn't have as many people IN the community. We've lost several 1000 in total population and over a 1000 students. So why are you wasting time comparing and contrasting on days gone past? What is your motive for pushing some narrative as if PB kids are just wondering the halls not playing sports, program in shambles with no future? The city has some problems that is not in dispute, but our sports programs...has been the most positive thing we have going. Sports have been a unifying force in the city. How does a city going through a major economic downturn still manage to build an indoor practice facility, install turf, resurface the track, remodel the baseball field in order to host world series games and build 2 new baseball facilities (all within the last 10 years) WITHOUT community support? AAA loves when PB makes to the championship games guaranteed a large turnout. Nobody is stuck here with no hope wishing for the 1990's.

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 12:12:11 am
You still are not making sense! In raw numbers PB doesn't have as many people IN the community. We've lost several 1000 in total population and over a 1000 students. So why are you wasting time comparing and contrasting on days gone past? What is your motive for pushing some narrative as if PB kids are just wondering the halls not playing sports, program in shambles with no future? The city has some problems that is not in dispute, but our sports programs...has been the most positive thing we have going. Sports have been a unifying force in the city. How does a city going through a major economic downturn still manage to build an indoor practice facility, install turf, resurface the track, remodel the baseball field in order to host world series games and build 2 new baseball facilities (all within the last 10 years) WITHOUT community support? AAA loves when PB makes to the championship games guaranteed a large turnout. Nobody is stuck here with no hope wishing for the 1990's.

Greenwood is acting like they've done something running it up on Pine Bluff.  You act like pine bluff has had a slight downturn......there should be 200,000 people there not 40,000 and falling fast.

Given current trends PB won't be 6A much longer unless Dollarway finally folds.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 19, 2017, 07:19:40 am
Greenwood is acting like they've done something running it up on Pine Bluff.  You act like pine bluff has had a slight downturn......there should be 200,000 people there not 40,000 and falling fast.

Given current trends PB won't be 6A much longer unless Dollarway finally folds.

Oh I see you have no intention on adding to this conversation other than to hate on PB! 200,000 people! ??? What other city in the Mississippi Delta has grown like that in the last 25 years? Your lack of understanding in socioeconomic is all over the place and just a bunch of noise. I think the kids call it being a hater. Most likely your team has contributed liberally to our over 800 victories over the years! And yes Greenwood did do something you probably have to go back to the early to mid 2000's since anyone mercy ruled PB. 

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 09:08:48 am
Oh I see you have no intention on adding to this conversation other than to hate on PB! 200,000 people! ??? What other city in the Mississippi Delta has grown like that in the last 25 years? Your lack of understanding in socioeconomic is all over the place and just a bunch of noise. I think the kids call it being a hater. Most likely your team has contributed liberally to our over 800 victories over the years! And yes Greenwood did do something you probably have to go back to the early to mid 2000's since anyone mercy ruled PB. 

Pine Bluff isn't in the delta.

Most of it did move to places like Greenwood though.

hogsanity

Quote from: ImYourHoggleberry on December 18, 2017, 05:22:15 pm
In a thread full of ridiculous claims, this one takes the cake. Nobody is being held back for football. I can't think of one player on Greenwood's team that is behind a year. Also, AAA has an age limit, so they can't play their senior year if they turn 19 before September 1. You, sir, are a moron.

Oh look, another poster who went more than 4 years without a post and suddenly showed back up two weeks ago, and is an expert on why GW is so good, and most of their posts here since they joined in 2011 were bashing LR.

Go back and re-read what I said, I said they take a year at some point, some in elementary school, some in jrhs, or they just start school a year late. I said that latter is not a bad idea with boys because they are not as ready for school at a young age many times. I am very familiar with the AAA rules on age.

You think this kind of thing does not happen? My wife teaches pre-school and my sister teaches kindergarten, and both of them have had kids, mainly boys, repeat kindergarten because the parents just do not think they are ready for 1st grade.

It happens everywhere, and often for sports. If you can find it, watch the documentary go tigers. It is about Massillon Ohio football. In it they talk about this very thing, boys being held back so they are a year older than most of their competition.

What is funny, I never even said I thought parents were wrong in doing so, but you seem to be over protective of any mention of GW unless it is someone bowing down at their feet.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 18, 2017, 05:44:26 pm
Not true teams from Camden, Lonoke, Texarkana...PB went on to play in the regional somewhere in Texas.

Not many places play SR babe anymore, especially if the local HS's have summer league teams. Fort Smith has not fielded a SR league team in several years because both of the FS HS's, plus GW, & Vb all have summer league HS teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 19, 2017, 09:11:54 am

Pine Bluff isn't in the delta.

Most of it did move to places like Greenwood though.

Have you been to Pine Bluff? The eastern part is DELTA. People moved to where there good jobs not that hard to figure out.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 09:33:28 am
Not many places play SR babe anymore, especially if the local HS's have summer league teams. Fort Smith has not fielded a SR league team in several years because both of the FS HS's, plus GW, & Vb all have summer league HS teams.

That may be true I'm just telling you that here Jr and Sr Babe Ruth is the summer league.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 09:38:43 am
That may be true I'm just telling you that here Jr and Sr Babe Ruth is the summer league.

I am sure they still are, I was just stating that SR babe is not what it used to be. Just like hoe American Legion is not nearly what it was years ago. FS used to have 2 or 3 AA legion teams and then a big boy team. Couple years ago a legion team from Ar won the Legion WS though.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 09:45:38 am
I am sure they still are, I was just stating that SR babe is not what it used to be. Just like hoe American Legion is not nearly what it was years ago. FS used to have 2 or 3 AA legion teams and then a big boy team. Couple years ago a legion team from Ar won the Legion WS though.

Nor is American Legion.

Birminghog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 09:36:29 am
Have you been to Pine Bluff? The eastern part is DELTA. People moved to where there good jobs not that hard to figure out.

Haven't been to PB in many years. Is Don Lusby's Gulf station still there, or there under a different name? That was my landmark to turn right to go to Stuttgart.

hogsanity

Back to the OP, it is very possible to have very good teams without any highly recruited athletes.

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 09:36:29 am

Few thousand times

Try not to go now.  Failed town at this point

PorkRyan

Back to the rankings.  HS rankings are pretty much terrible.  As the parent of a Greenwood player, we had a great team.  We would get rolled by Allen and Katy.  I watched the 7A Georgia state title game this weekend and there were three 4 stars just at RB.  I do think our offense is way more complex than what I saw from either team, but we haven't seen speed like that in Arkansas.  Arkansas High School football can compete with the best teams from Oklahoma and Missouri.  PA had a big win over Highland Park a few years ago, but the top football programs in Texas 6A is a different animal.   

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRyan on December 19, 2017, 10:15:43 am
Back to the rankings.  HS rankings are pretty much terrible.  As the parent of a Greenwood player, we had a great team.  We would get rolled by Allen and Katy.  I watched the 7A Georgia state title game this weekend and there were three 4 stars just at RB.  I do think our offense is way more complex than what I saw from either team, but we haven't seen speed like that in Arkansas.  Arkansas High School football can compete with the best teams from Oklahoma and Missouri.  PA had a big win over Highland Park a few years ago, but the top football programs in Texas 6A is a different animal.   

As far as size of school, how is TX 6a compared to Ar 6a?

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 09:56:57 am
Back to the OP, it is very possible to have very good teams without any highly recruited athletes.

That's the entire 7a west

You can build programs with weights and coaching but 95% of being a high SEC player is genetics.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 19, 2017, 10:11:51 am

Few thousand times

Try not to go now.  Failed town at this point

Let me be the first to wave BYE! The last thing we need is more ignorant people!

zebradynasty

As long as we compare apples to apples. The size of the school and the region or area of the school district has a lot to do with it. No way should we compare GW to Allen, Texas. But there are plenty of good TX programs that GW could beat that are relatively the same size.

IronHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 10:23:32 am
Let me be first to wave BYE! The last thing we need is more ignorant people!

Sure Hank Wilkins will lead a resurgence 🙄

zebradynasty

Quote from: Birminghog on December 19, 2017, 09:54:16 am
Haven't been to PB in many years. Is Don Lusby's Gulf station still there, or there under a different name? That was my landmark to turn right to go to Stuttgart.

The station is still there but it's no longer Ron Lusby's closed years ago.

Pig in the Pokey

they dont have the resources, man. Why y'all always play dumb!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRyan on December 18, 2017, 11:20:51 pm
Pine Bluff probably had 7k-8k people at the title game in 2015. That was one of the top 5 most attended title games and Pine Bluff outnumbered us.  They support their team just fine.

Greenwood wins because of Coach Jones and the program that he has built.  We have two 10th graders that are from Ft Smith and one from Alma. We have a Junior from Van Buren. We lost a Senior to Northside and a Junior to Hackett so it works both ways.  The Pitbulls program is not why Greenwood wins and they have plenty of crazy dads that run their own system because they are smarter than the high school coaches.  The strong Jr High program and dedication to strength training is a much bigger factor than the youth league.
:-X
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRyan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 10:16:59 am
As far as size of school, how is TX 6a compared to Ar 6a?

Allen is around 6k students and Greenwood is 850.  Pretty fair fight if you ask me.

PorkRyan

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 10:30:26 am
As long as we compare apples to apples. The size of the school and the region or area of the school district has a lot to do with it. No way should we compare GW to Allen, Texas. But there are plenty of good TX programs that GW could beat that are relatively the same size.

Definitely.  I am just talking about the national ranking being silly.

zebradynasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 19, 2017, 10:31:20 am

Sure Hank Wilkins will lead a resurgence 🙄

He is one of the leaders but yes things are turning around. IF everything continues to go according to plan the $3.5 BILLION gas plant will jump start the area and we can re-build the economy from there. That kind of money is a game changer.

hogsanity

Alot of that goes back to the discussion from yesterday about how the youth football in GW is run. These kids start learning offensive concepts of the HS system when they are 8 or 9 yrs old. Most places at 8 or 9 ( or older ) the only concept they are learning is " block for the fast kid " or " watch the same kid get the ball every play ".

Also, GW does have a lot of advantages. How many HS's with 850 kids have a stadium as nice as their's or a indoor practice facility or a weight room like they have? How many have a booster club as well off as the one in GW? I am not knocking GW for having those things, but a lot of districts do not have those things.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 19, 2017, 10:33:18 am
they dont have the resources, man. Why y'all always play dumb!

As far as the football program....the kids are not suffering! We may not have all the bells and whistles like Bentonville but they are more than adequate. Our kids are fast, strong and well conditioned as any in the state. But the basic resources for our players are being met.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 10:51:17 am
Alot of that goes back to the discussion from yesterday about how the youth football in GW is run. These kids start learning offensive concepts of the HS system when they are 8 or 9 yrs old. Most places at 8 or 9 ( or older ) the only concept they are learning is " block for the fast kid " or " watch the same kid get the ball every play ".

Also, GW does have a lot of advantages. How many HS's with 850 kids have a stadium as nice as their's or a indoor practice facility or a weight room like they have? How many have a booster club as well off as the one in GW? I am not knocking GW for having those things, but a lot of districts do not have those things.

GW has nice new facilities but if you look in 6A most schools have similar facilities. The more successful ones certainly do, maybe just not as new. GW also isn't the only school that has a strong youth football program. GW is NOT some mythical being that is unmatched. They just do what they need to do to win and don't accept anything less. Easier said than done but that is really the only difference between them and say Sheridan.

PorkRyan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 10:51:17 am

The value of the youth program is that they create an environment where kids want to be Bulldogs.  They also let the QB's throw a lot in practice.  That is where the QB development begins.  I think those two areas are important.  8 and 9 years olds aren't out there learning the high school offense.         

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRyan on December 19, 2017, 11:22:02 am
The value of the youth program is that they create an environment where kids want to be Bulldogs.  They also let the QB's throw a lot in practice.  That is where the QB development begins.  I think those two areas are important.  8 and 9 years olds aren't out there learning the high school offense.         

That is why I said concepts, it may be as simple as how to turn when looking for the ball, or how to set your feet when throwing, but it is a lot more than most youth league kids get taught at 8 or 9 yrs old.

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 11:03:43 am

Done had one poster tell me I don't know Nuthin bout Rison after I watched Melvin Bradley almost kill little Oscar and the little smart mouth kid short arm a sure TD

I haven't said anything bad about Greenwood.  It's just well coached rich kid football

When you say "rich kid" football, you sound like an idiot.  You're not even close in your assessment. 
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: ImYourHoggleberry on December 18, 2017, 05:23:43 pm
In their defense, Greenwood put the mercy rule on Pine Bluff in the 3rd quarter. There was no late game comeback in the cards and everyone knew it.

So you're defending fans leaving while their kids are getting beat down on the field?   Wow.  You're defending the true definition of a "Fair Weather Fan". 
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

zebradynasty

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 19, 2017, 11:50:50 am
So you're defending fans leaving while their kids are getting beat down on the field?   Wow.  You're defending the true definition of a "Fair Weather Fan".

My question is why do you need for it to be defended? Nobody from PB is complaining about so...

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 11:06:10 am
GW has nice new facilities but if you look in 6A most schools have similar facilities. The more successful ones certainly do, maybe just not as new. GW also isn't the only school that has a strong youth football program. GW is NOT some mythical being that is unmatched. They just do what they need to do to win and don't accept anything less. Easier said than done but that is really the only difference between them and say Sheridan.

Whats the difference between PB and Sheridan then?

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 11:55:27 am
My question is why do you need for it to be defended? Nobody from PB is complaining about so...

It's a quitter's mentality.  Period.  Our boys knew that if they scored coming out of halftime, that PB would give up.  They did.  And so did the fans.  Make excuses all you want, but I can promise you one thing, in all my years of watching Greenwood play football, I've never seen them quit before the last horn blows.   

Maybe this is where we agree to disagree.  Again.  :)   

Merry Christmas.....I'm done.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 19, 2017, 11:58:27 am
Whats the difference between PB and Sheridan then?

Same difference as it is between any successful program vs one with no success.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 19, 2017, 12:01:06 pm
It's a quitter's mentality.  Period.  Our boys knew that if they scored coming out of halftime, that PB would give up.  They did.  And so did the fans.  Make excuses all you want, but I can promise you one thing, in all my years of watching Greenwood play football, I've never seen them quit before the last horn blows.   

Maybe this is where we agree to disagree.  Again.  :)   

Merry Christmas.....I'm done.

Yep we disagree that you have your opinions on how or why things happen but don't project your opinions on to everyone else. PB was and is doing fine on the field WITHOUT your input.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 19, 2017, 12:04:59 pm
Same difference as it is between any successful program vs one with no success.

Players abilities?

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 01:23:29 pm
Players abilities?

Some but in high school good coaching can make up for that. I remember when Sheridan was pretty decent. Just happen to be when they had one the best coaches in Arkansas history coaching there. You take Jones or Bolding to Sheridan and I bet in less than 3 seasons they'll be above .500!

baitshop

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 19, 2017, 11:48:15 am
When you say "rich kid" football, you sound like an idiot.  You're not even close in your assessment. 

-$100k (at least) Head Coach....check

-GMAC.....check

-College video replay boards.....check

-"The Foundation" slush fund.....check

Jacksonville, Marion, Searcy, LR Hall, Sheridan all say "Hi" to the 1%er of 6A.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

IronHog

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 19, 2017, 11:48:15 am

What % of PB school district do you think gets free lunches?

Bet it's WaaaaaaaaaY more than suburban Greenwood