Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLR & Greenwood

Started by Grunt, December 15, 2017, 05:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Ranked 8th and 16th nationally and only one 2 star and one 3 star recruit between them. How is that?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

ricepig

Quote from: Grunt on December 15, 2017, 05:08:00 pm
Ranked 8th and 16th nationally and only one 2 star and one 3 star recruit between them. How is that?

Polls are basically subjective?

Ā 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Either the recruiting guy's are wrong or The HS rankings are darn...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Billy Bats

Great systems and winning cultures matter.

Hawgphish

Take those rankings and clip a five dollar bill to them.  Throw them off the bridge.  The person who finds them, finds $5.

3Scoreand10

Could be just great coaching.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 15, 2017, 05:14:34 pm
Take those rankings and clip a five dollar bill to them.  Throw them off the bridge.  The person who finds them, finds $5.

Pretty much.  All those teams around the country don't play each other, so it's all just a guessing game. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 05:14:15 pm
Great systems and winning cultures matter.

Greenwood in particular.  I'd like to see them move up a division just for the competition.  And I assume they'd still likely smoke most opponents.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RD

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2017, 05:22:40 pm
Greenwood in particular.  I'd like to see them move up a division just for the competition.  And I assume they'd still likely smoke most opponents.
If they move up they will still be just as competetive.

Billy Bats

Greenwood is the best program in the state.  Has been for a long time.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RD on December 15, 2017, 05:24:06 pm

Probably more than competitive.

elksnort

It is a team sport. A high school can have a group of guys who are darn good players, but just not great. If they are well coached and play hard as a team, they can win a championship.

masbas3

Want to find out how good Greenwood really is?  Do like Siloam Springs did when they had Frazier as their QB and go play one of those Texas teams, then see how they stack up.

Ā 

Hogforlife

Quote from: RD on December 15, 2017, 05:24:06 pm
As far as Greenwood goes it's all about coaching. In 2015 they played 7 games against 7A schools and won everyone of them.

ricepig

Quote from: masbas3 on December 15, 2017, 05:29:43 pm
Want to find out how good Greenwood really is?  Do like Siloam Springs did when they had Frazier as their QB and go play one of those Texas teams, then see how they stack up.

Shiloh Christian, Siloam Springs struggles with Harrison.......

masbas3

By the way, I'm not dogging on Greenwood either, I like their program alot.  I'd just like to see how they stack up against one of the heavyweights out of Texas or Oklahoma.

Bubba's Bruisers

Which demonstrates the fallacy of the national rankings.  These teams don't/can't cross over and play each other. 

masbas3

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2017, 05:31:38 pm

Yeah, I got carried away.

HogHomer

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2017, 05:31:38 pm
You leave my hometown out of this. We goblins try to mind our own business ;)

ricepig

Quote from: HogHomer on December 15, 2017, 05:33:26 pm

Lol, I'll try, maybe I should have said Sheridan........

HogHomer

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2017, 05:35:28 pm
The one team to make Harrison look like 5A champs. You're a good man.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Hogforlife on December 15, 2017, 05:30:49 pm
As far as Greenwood goes it's all about coaching. In 2015 they played 7 games against 7A schools and won everyone of them.

Crazy part is, they've been awesome since Ronnie Peacock and they've changed staffs and still stayed legit.  Something in the water there I guess.  Went there 9th and 10th grade and it's a borderline Spartan football culture. 

Bulldogs, what is your profession?

masbas3

Sheridan?  Isn't Sheridan the redneck capital of Arkansas?

Tigaman

With High School football rankings you have to remember that schools on the list rarely play each other and that they are partial based on win streaks and not on how they would perform against how teams on the list.

North Little Rock is probably the most talented team in the state on a year to year basis based on how many players sign scholarships across every level. The fact that won a state title the first time in a long time tells you how badly they underachieve.

Ā 

RockyMtnHog

Greenwood is already smoking the 7A teams that they play.  They are smoking everybody else too.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

hog911

Quote from: HogHomer on December 15, 2017, 05:33:26 pm
Most people think we all belong to the klan and run around in our white sheets! Funny thing is I've never actually met a person in the khan!

longtimeHogfan

Too close to Malvern...try again.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

AlmaHog2011

The noseguard or DT was in the Pine Bluff backfield all night. I know he was very thick and muscular moved well. I'm guessing he lacks height? No idea where he's going? He's a monster.

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 15, 2017, 06:23:13 pm
Too close to Malvern...try again.

Nope, I'll stick with Sheridan, that's Siloam's speed these days.....

HogHomer

Quote from: hog911 on December 15, 2017, 06:19:09 pm
Most people think we all belong to the klan and run around in our white sheets! Funny thing is I've never actually met a person in the khan!
Well I can't say that I haven't but the biggest question I get asked is what is it like there? Well it's like living in a nursing home. Also my last name is close to Burlsworth so I always get the are you related to Brandon question

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: HogHomer on December 15, 2017, 06:27:16 pm
Well I can't say that I haven't but the biggest question I get asked is what is it like there? Well it's like living in a nursing home.

....and I always knew, if I was lucky, that someday I'd get old.  I just never expected it to happen this quick.   :(
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

GoldCoastHog

Because the state of Arkansas has always been underevaluated and under appreciated by the National Services.
Arkansas is a "flyover " state. They think it's not worth the investment in manpower and simply are convinced there's not enough return on investment to really spend manhours on the ground doing serious evaluation of the states' talent base.
It's easier and safer to invest time, effort and energy in the old mainstays of TX, CA, FL, GA, ....

There's no question in my mind that kids are overlooked year in, year out in state.

hoglady

Quote from: Tigaman on December 15, 2017, 05:42:58 pm
With High School football rankings you have to remember that schools on the list rarely play each other and that they are partial based on win streaks and not on how they would perform against how teams on the list.

North Little Rock is probably the most talented team in the state on a year to year basis based on how many players sign scholarships across every level. The fact that won a state title the first time in a long time tells you how badly they underachieve.

North Little Rock had terrible, terrible coaching for many years - Bolding and the new coach from Starkville have provided quality coaching and NLR has been on a upward trajectory.
Heck - Bolding has made Parkview competitive in his short time there - which is almost unbelievable.
High school is all about coaching.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Granny fan

That wasn't Siloam it was Shiloh!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 05:26:01 pm
Greenwood is the best program in the state.  Has been for a long time.

How is youth football in Greenwood?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Billy Bats

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 07:30:31 pm
How is youth football in Greenwood?

Haven't been back in a while but from what I remember you start with your class as a pitbull and continue in that system through your senior year.  The development is constant and consistent and by the time it counts you've been playing with the same dudes for a decade.  It's such an effective program. 

East Clintwood

There are about 1.1 million HS football players in the country and about 1,100 of them are rated  3, 4, or 5 star.  The chance of having multiple star rated players on one team is very remote.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

bphi11ips

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 07:42:20 pm
Haven't been back in a while but from what I remember you start with your class as a pitbull and continue in that system through your senior year.  The development is constant and consistent and by the time it counts you've been playing with the same dudes for a decade.  It's such an effective program. 

This the way it is throughout the South.  Arkansas needs strong youth football programs, especially in central Arkansas.  Not just for the sake of football but for the sake of the kids. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MavND1973

Quote from: hoglady on December 15, 2017, 07:07:52 pm
North Little Rock had terrible, terrible coaching for many years - Bolding and the new coach from Starkville have provided quality coaching and NLR has been on a upward trajectory.
Heck - Bolding has made Parkview competitive in his short time there - which is almost unbelievable.
High school is all about coaching.

This^^^^

NLR hasn't had decent coaching since before they combined the two high schools my senior year. Ever since Bolding came we have trended upwards. The new coach seems to have it together. I foresee NLR competing for championships for quite some time barring another scandal or coaching change. Facilities are top notch, talent pool is there, and the city is starting to really get behind them.

MavND1973

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 07:42:20 pm

This is what Cabot has done for years, but unfortunately they haven't progressed their style enough. Not enough big boys to play like they have before.

RazorPiggie

Southside in FS is terrible now because all those kids transfer to GW. Heck I know a kid from VB that transferred there and didn't play a down. Drives almost 45 mins twice a day to go to school.

Mike Irwin

Years ago Don Struebing told me a story that demonstrates why some towns consistently produce winning football teams. He said, "When you play football for Springdale you don't appear in public if you lose on Friday night. You go the barbershop, the old men in there will wear you out. You go to Neal's Cafe, it's worse. You gotta go to church and as soon as it's over you better head for the car cause they'll get you there too."

Some places losing is not an option. Winning is part of the culture.

3of5-2

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 15, 2017, 08:13:16 pm
This is what Cabot has done for years, but unfortunately they haven't progressed their style enough. Not enough big boys to play like they have before.
Cabot hasn't progressed from their one dimensional dead T. Until they do, they will never win another championship.

3of5-2

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2017, 08:44:17 pm
Years ago Don Struebing told me a story that demonstrates why some towns consistently produce winning football teams. He said, "When you play football for Springdale you don't appear in public if you lose on Friday night. You go the barbershop, the old men in there will wear you out. You go to Neal's Cafe, it's worse. You gotta go to church and as soon as it's over you better head for the car cause they'll get you there too."

Some places losing is not an option. It's part of the culture.
Don would know, and he passed that winning attitude down to a lot of those kids when he was at Har-Ber.

3of5-2

As far as NLR goes, I give all the credit to Randy Sandefur. He has endured through all of the bad head coaches.

ImYourHoggleberry

December 15, 2017, 08:52:18 pm #45 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:06:23 pm by ImYourHoggleberry
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 15, 2017, 06:24:09 pm
The noseguard or DT was in the Pine Bluff backfield all night. I know he was very thick and muscular moved well. I'm guessing he lacks height? No idea where he's going? He's a monster.

He's very big and pretty good. But he's not the smartest guy in the world. He can't get a qualifying score on the ACT. He may play JUCO ball and work on that.

MavND1973

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 15, 2017, 08:48:28 pm
As far as NLR goes, I give all the credit to Randy Sandefur. He has endured through all of the bad head coaches.

Yes he has. He was their when I graduated in 1991.

CDBHawg

Keep in mind, the rankings only rank the seniors.

Noland is a 4 star, btw.

NLR has a WR that will be ranked. He's a sophomore I believe.

Both teams probably have underclassmen that will be ranked as well.

IronHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 05:37:03 pm
Crazy part is, they've been awesome since Ronnie Peacock and they've changed staffs and still stayed legit.  Something in the water there I guess.  Went there 9th and 10th grade and it's a borderline Spartan football culture. 

Bulldogs, what is your profession?

Something in the water?

Transplants from next door more like it
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ImHogginIt

December 15, 2017, 10:06:17 pm #49 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:17:37 pm by ImHogginIt

Neither one are in USA Today's Top 25. My Allen Eagles are number 3  ;D

I believe they are both in the top 10 of the Southwest Region rankings on USA Today though

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert/boys/football/2017/18