Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Acquiantance from a non-sports message board is pretty familiar with Chad Morris

Started by Science Fiction Greg, December 10, 2017, 08:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 27, 2017, 02:32:34 pm
I absolutely agree with this. Santos Ramirez said as much after more than one game. The players have been coddled for 6 years now and what were the results? If a guy can't be coached hard in football at the SEC level, they are probably in the wrong sport.

I think Petrino went too far the other way at times, but surely Morris can find a sweet spot somewhere between Petrino's surliness and Bert's "who moved my cheese?" dumbfounded look on the sidelines. What usually followed was an "I'm okay, you're okay" pat on the back for the player who just made the bonehead play.

IMO the best coach ever before Belichick was Bill Walsh. He was passed over for the Cincy job for Bill "Tiger" Johnson by Paul Brown because he was supposedly "too nice" and "intellectual".

That's not what the 49er players said. The Niners had a tackle on offense named Bubba Paris who ate his way out of the league after a few years. Walsh was reported to have said in practice within Paris' earshot to the O line coach: "get me a tackle who finishes his blocks, not his plate".

Walsh might not have made a big production of his tirades like Parcells and others, but he was miked up by NFL Films and he would rip a guy who was not hustling or making mental errors.

When he retired, the 49 players were ecstatic about replacing him with the buddy-buddy touchy-feely George Seifert. Under Walsh they won 3 Super Bowls in 10 years and won the year after he left on auto-pilot.

In several years after that Seifert managed only one more title even though the core of the team was still young when Walsh retired. After their own retirement most of the players admitted they learned most of their football from Walsh..

No coach is perfect. I will guarantee there are Clemson fans who are critical of Swinney even as they would be considered the #1 program in CFB if not for Saban. The #1 complaint from fans anywhere is play calling as if it's as simple as X box or Madden.

I used to criticize play calling too but have come to realize that many play calls are setting up something to see how the defense defends the play, then giving them the same look and running a totally different play like a double move by the WR.

People criticize the draw play or a short pass on 3rd and 26 say, but that 10-15 or 20 yards you can gain is big for filed position, especially if you have a good defense.

I find it curious that CM hasn't coached his first game here and already we have people saying he is doomed to fail because of something someone at SMU or Clemson has to say.

Can we just wait and see how he coaches and call plays first? I don't doubt that he is ADHD. Maybe the guy quoted by the OP is too? Maybe not. However, there are some contradictory things in that assessment of CM.

In part one he says that CM has a great feel for play calling, great instincts etc. Then he goes on to say in part two he gets too cute or overthinks or is too emotional. Which is it? I suspect it it some of both, making our new coach HUMAN.

I for one don't want a cyborg. There have been great coaches who were stoic, others who were raving lunatics. Somewhere in between is fine by me.

Another contradiction in that quote is in part one, the man said CM was able to get Tahj Boyd to grasp the offense when he couldn't get the one before. In part two we are told his playbook is too thick and complicated..

I'm sure the guy has good intentions and didn't mean any of this as a slam, but admittedly the guy was only around CM one year and seven years ago at that.

CM had never been a college HC at that time, I'm sure he has learned a lot, he doesn't strike me as the type to keep making the same mistakes over and over and expecting a different result like the last guy here.

I was in disbelief when Bielema was hired at first, not in a good way. I was concerned that we were going backward in offensive style. He did a good enough sales job to promote his agenda and I thought it could work with enough good players in the lines.

I learned to like him personally, but it didn't take long to see that he was a fish out of water in the SEC. He was late to the game in recruiting speed over size and strength if he ever got to that point. I do think there is a lot more speed in the last two classes, we shall see.

In the meantime, I will support CM unless and until he proves he can't win here and I will take a wait-and-see approach to his methods and play calling etc. We won't know for awhile, the same as it would be with any other coach. BB was 68-24 at Wisconsin for all the good that did us, and a miserable 11-29 in SEC games.

5 more losses in SEC games in 5 years than total losses in 7 years there. What CM or any other coach did at their previous stops would not automatically translate into success here.

If Saban himself had taken the job, we'd have people on here saying he was just looking for a cushy place to win 7 games a year before retirement. Therefore, I will judge CM on future actions here, not what anyone who does or doesn't know him says here or elsewhere.
the above and it's copious amount of crapola is the definition of a "thread killah"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Pig Worshipper

Iwastherein1969 - are you the ghost of Richard Nixon?

Now, that's the kind of "thread killah" I usually employ.