Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why stay in the SEC?

Started by LadyRzback, November 26, 2017, 07:35:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2017, 01:52:13 pm
I never assumed that the UofA would do anything blindly.

Of course not, which is why they won't move now--to any conference.  A move to the Big 12 would likely open the SEC to bring in both UT and OU, and then go after FSU and Clemson to balance in the east--creating the first super-conference.

UA could then lay claim to ruining a total of at least three conferences!!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hawaiianhogster

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times are some of you fans going to cry about being in the SEC because it is difficult to win games in. You think we go to another conference we will win there? Not a freaking chance. No need discussing why the SEC because it is where we BELONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on November 26, 2017, 02:01:25 pm
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times are some of you fans going to cry about being in the SEC because it is difficult to win games in. You think we go to another conference we will win there? Not a freaking chance. No need discussing why the SEC because it is where we BELONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Dumb post. We won a lot more in the SWC days. Look at the winning percentages and conference championships.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 26, 2017, 01:57:03 pm
Of course not, which is why they won't move now--to any conference.  A move to the Big 12 would likely open the SEC to bring in both UT and OU, and then go after FSU and Clemson to balance in the east--creating the first super-conference.

UA could then lay claim to ruining a total of at least three conferences!!  :)

Well damn. Now I want to see that happen.

pigmania

Quote from: Kevin on November 26, 2017, 07:43:04 am
money
You nailed it with one word. Money is more important than winning.

alohawg

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 26, 2017, 12:55:26 pm
Need 12 schools so we can have a championship game. May I suggest,Memphis,SMU,Nebraska.

K State over Memphis
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jkstock04

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 26, 2017, 11:45:20 am
Who on this board personally sees any money from the Razorback program?  I'm not sure I am following this line of thinking?
When they state $$$ plain and simple as the reason they want to stay in the SEC, that's the way it reads to me. All I can tell you is that I get zero monetary value from us being in the SEC, but perhaps there are others that do.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogHomer

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2017, 01:55:39 pm
That's also not taking into account revenue that the Big 12 will receive from its new championship game or the fact that individual programs can sell their 3rd tier media rights.
Texas Tech got a mil for their 3rd tier rights. Still not making up the difference.

Nouston Hutt

.....let's go to a different conference because its easier to win. Damn things have gotten bad. How about we get a good coach and start being competitive again. Y'all don't let coach B make you think we can't win here. Houston and Bobby didn't complain about the SEC. Its sad that we are so down old fans talking about moving conferences just to see some wins. Good days are coming back

hog.goblin

Billy Bats

At this point, shouldn't we look at everything?  I mean, what's the definition of insanity again?

gchamblee

to be the best, you must first run from those that are better than you.

TNRazorbacker

ShadowTheHedgehog

Create a new conference sponsored by Caterpillar, Walmart, jb hunt, Tyson, etc. make a northern division with Arkansas as the feature team, and a southern division with LSU as the feature team. Invite Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, ASU, and a few other ex SWC schools.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HogHomer on November 26, 2017, 02:30:13 pm
Texas Tech got a mil for their 3rd tier rights. Still not making up the difference.

So our we closer to Texas Tech or Oklahoma?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: gchamblee on November 26, 2017, 05:24:17 pm
to be the best, you must first run from those that are better than you.

Is it running, or is it just gaming the system? Because you don't see Ohio State clamoring to be in the SEC. Nor do you see Florida State.

Hoggish1

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 26, 2017, 07:49:27 am
i've got news for you bert wasn't going to win in the big 12 either. all this is fixable with the right coach.

the SEC didn't seem like that big of a hill to climb for petrino now did it.

nutt won the west twice.

Bobby was watched closely and kept from getting any further than he did.

Hawgzinbowlz

Interesting that having the worst college coach, since ND hired Gerry Faust (a high school coach) in 1981, has caused some posters to want to turn tail and run...

CBB is the worst in game/situational coach Arkansas has had in the modern era...And being the players friend does nothing for the Ws and Ls.

Moving to another conference is not going to happen although it does give a topic of conversation.

Not today, not tomorrow and not ever.

" GO HOGS "

Cambridge Hog

I think for many, it is the proximity to other schools and at least having some history against some of the Big 12 schools. We don't have and will never have a true rival in the SEC.

I would rather play OU and Texas than Ole Miss and Bama. That simple.

Im surprised this isn't on the GOBN agenda...

Occams Razorback

No disrespect intended, but we are Southern folks, not midwesterners or southwesterners - culture plays a huge role in this (in my opinion) - the Big 12 is a marriage of convenience only and the schools don't have much in common from north to south

I'd rather drop down to the Sunbelt than play in a conference with Iowa State, Kansas State , Kansas, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech (they might as well be in a conference with UTEP, the New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada schools)

Mizzou is really the only outlier in the SEC as far as being "Southern" but culturally are sort of still in the ballpark

Think it was SEC Commissioner Roy Kramer who said something to the effect that at 12 schools (after Arkansas and South Carolina were added) we were all still family but at 14 (bringing on Mizzou and A&M) we had added a couple of first cousins

In the Big 12, we'd hardly be of the same species!

If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

urkillnmesmalls

Consider this.  Missouri came from the Big 12 right?  They never managed to win the Big 12 and do any major damage nationally. 

They have a winning record versus us since joining the SEC.  Let that sink in.  We've been here for years, and they are a "Johnny come lately" by comparison, they owned us. 

Want another example.  TAMU.  They have OWNED us since joining the SEC, and it's now what...5 in a row?  Were they killing in the Big 12 before bolting?  No. 

They left for the money, and they were tired of being under UT's thumb.  Neither team has been great in the SEC, but doesn't that sort of tell us that if THEY couldn't win the Big 12, and we can't beat THEM, then our prospects of going over there and "cleaning up" are really just pipe dreams? 

We've hit hard times.  No doubt.  But running off to a lesser conference isn't the answer.  If we see the next coach fail, attendance continue to dwindle, then maybe we have to consider dropping back just to get some wins to bring the fans back. 

Within the next several years, the odds are conference consolidation will continue, and maybe it will shake out in our favor.  In the mean time....we have to get better.  Period. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 26, 2017, 07:58:35 pm
Consider this.  Missouri came from the Big 12 right?  They never managed to win the Big 12 and do any major damage nationally. 

They have a winning record versus us since joining the SEC.  Let that sink in.  We've been here for years, and they are a "Johnny come lately" by comparison, they owned us. 

Want another example.  TAMU.  They have OWNED us since joining the SEC, and it's now what...5 in a row?  Were they killing in the Big 12 before bolting?  No. 

They left for the money, and they were tired of being under UT's thumb.  Neither team has been great in the SEC, but doesn't that sort of tell us that if THEY couldn't win the Big 12, and we can't beat THEM, then our prospects of going over there and "cleaning up" are really just pipe dreams? 

We've hit hard times.  No doubt.  But running off to a lesser conference isn't the answer.  If we see the next coach fail, attendance continue to dwindle, then maybe we have to consider dropping back just to get some wins to bring the fans back. 

Within the next several years, the odds are conference consolidation will continue, and maybe it will shake out in our favor.  In the mean time....we have to get better.  Period. 

Why would the Big 12 be considered a lesser conference if its two defections have done so well in the SEC?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 26, 2017, 07:48:43 am
Well, we either need to go all in for a change, if we're to remain in the SEC, or move to a conference whose standards and level of commitment to athletics more closely mirrors our own!
Get off the damn fence!

Nobody that I know of is on the fence except a few random fans who would rather take a huge hit financially and go to the little 12.

Or even the Sunbelt just to kick sand in the face of wannabes, why not just field an intramural team and charge admission.

If we made the switch many of the same fans would be whining "we don't play nobidy, let's go back to the SEC."
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2017, 08:02:16 pm
Why would the Big 12 be considered a lesser conference if its two defections have done so well in the SEC?

Again...Missouri had success with a tenured coach, experienced players, and a HORRIBLY down east division.  They haven't fared too well since the coaching change. 

TAMU had one really solid year with Manziel, but they've been also rans for the most part.  Marginally better than us, but able to beat us before typically falling off the map and fading. 

Not sure why you asked that question, because it isn't addressing my point.  My point is...what makes everyone think we could just bop over there and wreck everyone? 

Just this year...we've lost to TCU, TAMU, and Mizzou.  Oh..and Texas Tech recently as well.  The point is...moving over there and "getting all these wins" doesn't hold water.  We wouldn't even be doing that great over there! 

So...why move?  So we can beat by TCU, TX, OU, and OSU?  Maybe we could get past Tech and K-State....maybe not.

We have to get better to beat ANYONE.  Seriously...not sure we could beat ASU or even UCA.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

(notOM)Rebel123

We aren't leaving the SEC. useless thread
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 26, 2017, 08:08:48 pm
We aren't leaving the SEC. useless thread

Agreed, but it's sometimes fun to see the logic people throw out.  "We just need to win more." 

They fail to realize that once you drop down, you compete for lesser recruits, and thereby...end up on a level playing field with your competition. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 26, 2017, 08:07:37 pm
Again...Missouri had success with a tenured coach, experienced players, and a HORRIBLY down east division.  They haven't fared too well since the coaching change. 

TAMU had one really solid year with Manziel, but they've been also rans for the most part.  Marginally better than us, but able to beat us before typically falling off the map and fading. 

Not sure why you asked that question, because it isn't addressing my point.  My point is...what makes everyone think we could just bop over there and wreck everyone? 

Just this year...we've lost to TCU, TAMU, and Mizzou.  Oh..and Texas Tech recently as well.  The point is...moving over there and "getting all these wins" doesn't hold water.  We wouldn't even be doing that great over there! 

So...why move?  So we can beat by TCU, TX, OU, and OSU?  Maybe we could get past Tech and K-State....maybe not.

We have to get better to beat ANYONE.  Seriously...not sure we could beat ASU or even UCA.   

I agree with a lot of that. I really think that Bielema has done more to damage the UofA than people realize.  We currently can't compete in football and that's not a SEC or Big 12 thing. That's a recruiting and developmental problem.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 26, 2017, 08:10:16 pm
Agreed, but it's sometimes fun to see the logic people throw out.  "We just need to win more." 

They fail to realize that once you drop down, you compete for lesser recruits, and thereby...end up on a level playing field with your competition. 

That's not necessarily true.  Arkansas biggest problem is availability to those recruits. That's why these conference switching threads pop up a lot. The reasoning is solid. If Arkansas played more games in Texas. Then we would be more available to those recruits in Texas. Now you could make the argument that we need to move the A&M game to campus stadiums, and then sign some other program to the game in Dallas. This also would make us more available.

Sweet Feet

Like Notorious BIG 's song, Mo Money Mo Problems

The move to the SEC was a money grab and nothing more. We care more about money than on the field success. That's why most of everyone supports riding the coattails of other SEC teams for the sake of saying we are in the best conference in America. No conference titles since the 80s.....

If Arkansas moved to the big 12 in the 90s instead of the SEC, i bet the timeline would be a lot more happy than disappointing like it's been these past 26 years .

Sweet Feet

26 years in the SEC. Only 8 seasons with a winning conf record.

kenhog19

Loser question to begin with. Let's just throw up our hands and run like chickensh*t to an easier place. Instead of digging in and competing.

Knot2brite

The only major sports that we actually compete in the sec is baseball, track and men's basketball ( not in the last 15 years but the future is looking better). Football is a mid tier program that should get a bowl every year but it is the bottom tier bowls for the sec with that odd ball really good year every seven years. Petrino was the high water mark for us in the sec and his best year would bot have even gotten us into the playoffs and honesty his winning probably wasn't going to be consistent. We fit better with the Big 12 in every way but we will never leave the sec because of the myth that it is the greatest conference in the NCAA. Yes, in football the sec is probably the best. Also baseball but that is about it. Certain TEAMS in the sec are very good such as Bama in football, Kentucky in basketball, Arkansas in track. Baseball is where the sec is the most dominant sport. Money is the driving force and we have the red headed step child mentality that because Bama or auburn or LSU is winning a national championship in football ,and we play against them,  that in essence we are superior to other teams that aren't in the sec.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Hawghiggs

Quote from: kenhog19 on November 26, 2017, 10:19:00 pm
Loser question to begin with. Let's just throw up our hands and run like chickensh*t to an easier place. Instead of digging in and competing.

No it's not. Nobody questions why Florida State didn't want any part of the SEC. Also, The Big 12 really isn't a easier place.

Grunt

Quote from: LadyRzback on November 26, 2017, 07:35:12 am
Been reading for years but just registered. Query: the consensus on this forum seems to be that our beloved Hogs will rarely if ever be at the top of the SEC (which to my mind is overrated and I live in the heart of LSU territory but have lived in big Ten country) so it would seem to me our odds of getting to a national championship would be better in another conference. Like the Big 12. I realize the SEC is considered a money machine. But as a student in the sixties, winning is a lot more fun.
Why don't we concede mediocrity?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

kp72204

I feel if we hire the right coach and can get to winning 8-9 games a year, a new foundation could be laid. With LR closing down schools( not a topic I'd like to discuss) better athletes competing against one another would up the talent available. Just need to start with a three year stretch of 8+ wins to kick start it.

Tuskya

No interest in going to IA, TX, OK, KS..WV maybe. The SOUTH is way more appealing and fun. Hated the cities of the SWC.
Why is this subjected repeated regularly?

Anyone with a sports mentality is competitive and doesn't whine about being outmatched. You find a way to get competitive and win.

LadyRzback

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2017, 10:27:22 pm
No it's not. Nobody questions why Florida State didn't want any part of the SEC. Also, The Big 12 really isn't a easier place.
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Interesting points of view. For the record I want a winning team for the players' sake. They don't come to lose games. With the current status of the program, recruiting will be challenging but I don't agree getting top flight is impossible . I know of one recruit under Petrino (who was latter cut by B.B.) who fell in love with Fayetteville and  the UA athletic facilities the first time he saw them. Many agree B.B. was allowed to stay too long and recovery will be a long road. The idea of a new conference is interesting maybe it will come to pass one day. Since we are in the SEC we have to do what it takes to compete. Is there a will by the powers to be to do that?
On another note, was surprised to learn  Pepsi instead of Coke in the stadium. When Rite Aid came to Louisiana they didn't sell Coke. Didn't last long. Most folks don't like mixing Pepsi and Bourbon😜

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on November 26, 2017, 02:05:59 pm
Dumb post. We won a lot more in the SWC days. Look at the winning percentages and conference championships.

The SWC is no longer around...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig In The City

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on November 26, 2017, 07:51:08 am
Shame on you Lady.  Posting such blasphemy on a Sunday!  Don't you know membership in the SEC is a pillar of faith in Hogville?

Seriously, I agree with you.  We have sold out the program for $$$.  The Razorback are nothing but a highly paid version of the rent-a-win team we pay a half a million to get a (hopefully) easy win.

I am sickened every time I hear someone say that they are proud to be part of the conference that has produced so many national champions.  They say they take pride in the success of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc. 
The leadership needs to make a change before fans begin to dwindle. Our recruiting is and likely never will be on par with other SEC teams. We should get in a conference where there is a more level playing field. We are always pushing uphill in the SEC West. PI think it would be more fun for fans and players.  Time for some realistic realizations about what coaches can do here.

ShadowHawg

We would end up in a conference with either Texas running everything or Texas and OU going to the SEC leaving us in a Conference USA thing leaving is on the outside looking in at the playoffs regardless of wins.

Huge amount of millennial vaginitis in this thread.

NaturalStateReb

Been reading for years but just registered. Query: the consensus on this forum seems to be that our beloved Hogs will rarely if ever be at the top of the SEC (which to my mind is overrated and I live in the heart of LSU territory but have lived in big Ten country) so it would seem to me our odds of getting to a national championship would be better in another conference. Like the Big 12. I realize the SEC is considered a money machine. But as a student in the sixties, winning is a lot more fun.

Here's why you can't move:

1.  Money--the SEC has lots of it and the Big 12 won't ever match it because the Big 12 isn't going to have a network for a long time, maybe never. 
2.  Influence--in the SEC, no one program calls all of the shots, including the continued existence of the league.  In the Big 12, Texas decides everything.  If Oklahoma can't be a counterweight to Texas, you know Arkansas won't be.
3.  The Future--The Big 12 will only exist as long as Texas or Oklahoma stays.  The moment one of those teams leaves, the other will leave, and that'll be the end, Arkansas or no Arkansas.  If that happens, what will Arkansas do?  It's not going to be let back in to an SEC it just spurned, and it's not going to have a seat in either the Big 10 or the PAC.  The ACC would be an incredible long shot, too.  You'd basically be risking relegation to the Group of 5 after 2023 or so.  If that happens, all of the crowing about how Arkansas makes money will come to an abrupt halt.  Arkansas will lose money hand over fist, and will fall behind other teams that it sees as peers but remain in Power 5 conferences.  You'd basically be volunteering to be Kansas State.

Leaving the SEC is beyond stupid.  Yeah, winning's fun, no doubt.  Arkansas has won in the SEC before.  Saban won't be at Bama forever, and Arkansas' about to have someone new. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 27, 2017, 08:04:48 am
The leadership needs to make a change before fans begin to dwindle. Our recruiting is and likely never will be on par with other SEC teams. We should get in a conference where there is a more level playing field. We are always pushing uphill in the SEC West. PI think it would be more fun for fans and players.  Time for some realistic realizations about what coaches can do here.

The Big 12 is the most uneven playing field.  It's a wholly owned-subsidiary of the University of Texas.  The second Texas decides it wants to go somewhere else, the Big 12 will fold up like a cheap suitcase.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 27, 2017, 08:12:33 am
We would end up in a conference with either Texas running everything or Texas and OU going to the SEC leaving us in a Conference USA thing leaving is on the outside looking in at the playoffs regardless of wins.

I don't think it's the millennials, but otherwise, yeah.

hogsanity

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 26, 2017, 07:49:27 am
the SEC didn't seem like that big of a hill to climb for petrino now did it.

nutt won the west twice.

Umm, if you like only getting part way up the hill.

And we were CONSTANTLY reminded that HDN won the SECW when Bama/LSU/Aub were all down.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 08:44:55 am
The Big 12 is the most uneven playing field.  It's a wholly owned-subsidiary of the University of Texas.  The second Texas decides it wants to go somewhere else, the Big 12 will fold up like a cheap suitcase.

OU and Texas will likely bail on the B12 in 2024 or whenever the current media deal ends. When they do, the SEC makes a lot of sense for them. Regardless, the B12 is a sinking ship.

RME

As displayed by Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. So what does that say about those generations? Regressing to "millennial vaginitis," as you call it?

Also yeah if going to the Big 12 would result in more wins while remaining in a P5 conference, sign me up.
People will try and spin that statement, but all you're doing is spinning a statement that says "I want the Arkansas Razorbacks to get as many wins as they can while still in a P5 conference." So, by all means, go ahead.

tbhogfan

Million$ of rea$on$.
Go Hogs!

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 26, 2017, 02:23:29 pm
When they state $$$ plain and simple as the reason they want to stay in the SEC, that's the way it reads to me. All I can tell you is that I get zero monetary value from us being in the SEC, but perhaps there are others that do.

From a fan standpoint there is no monetary reason to stay in the SEC. None of us get any $ from the SEC. From the school standpoint, the $ in the sec is better.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

Gotta say most of the people I've heard pining for the B12 want to go back to the Good Ole Days. Also, it's always amusing to me when Boomers complain about Millennials being snowflakes.

bhshawgfan