Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME THREAD: Arkansas Razorbacks vs Seton Hall

Started by Razorbacks#1, March 17, 2017, 11:53:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

All this arguing and it didn't matter one bit.  Arkansas make it FT's and the one Macon made didn't win the game.  Hall missed its shot on the court, Hogs win!

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 02:44:50 pm
Arkansas outscored Seton Hall 23-11 in the last 10 minutes of this basketball game.

The Pirates must have run out of gas.

Run out of gas?

You are clearly not a journalist. The correct play for that post is to use a pun relative to the team. In this case, the obvious example is the Pirates must have lost the wind in their sails.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rawker

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 03:03:20 pm
This was a good matchup for us in that they didn't have good depth and may have been what won it for us. Bad matchup because of how well they rebound, which is always one of our weaknesses and they exposed it. Good job to fight back and win it in the end. Hopefully we can play better offensively against UNC, though. Gonna have to play better all around to beat them.

Disagree vehemently about playing better offensively.  The Hogs got some super important shots to go down, and MK and DT delivered on a percentage level that they don't normally hit, especially from medium distance.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 02:50:51 pm
Highlighted rule no applicable, as it was not done to prevent a score, it was done to stop the clock.

He was running to the goal with nobody in front of him... was his plan to take a nap?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rawker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 17, 2017, 03:05:34 pm
Run out of gas?

You are clearly not a journalist. The correct play for that post is to use a pun relative to the team. In this case, the obvious example is the Pirates must have lost the wind in their sails.

The Pirates ran aground.

elkhog

The definition they showed during the game said:  Excessive contact OR pushing/holding a player from behind to prevent a score.

Looks like both were violated to me.  Braford was driving to basket and he was shoved with one hand while held on arm with other.  Also tripped.
GO HOGS!!!

PonderinHog

Run out of gas?

Somali Pirates don't have sails.

artyhog

Great win.  Turn overs is what bothers me. Hogs need to take better care of the ball.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: rljjr on March 17, 2017, 03:01:24 pm
THIS!!! Thank you.
Thanks for picking up the scoring. Much appreciated! :razorback:
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 02:51:18 pm
We'll see how everyone feels Sun if it is close late and the Hogs foul to stop the clock and get a F1.

I can tell you right now that I would agree with the call. Very rarely does a push in the back that hard not at least draw the intentional foul call.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Run out of gas?

Arkansas gave them the hook.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LRHog

Quote from: LRHawg on March 17, 2017, 02:53:42 pm
Nice name, and I agree.  ;D

Haha. Nice. This LRhog will be at the dugans block party at 4... If you wanna have a drink over the hogs win! Wooooooo PIG!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 17, 2017, 03:09:49 pm
Somali Pirates don't have sails.

Don't worry Ponderin.  Everthing gonna be alright.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BentonvilleJeff

Flagrant foul or not Seton Hall still didn't score again. Even if that wasn't called they still had 71 before the flagrant  and that's what they ended up with.

Hogs win in the Big Dance! Win and advance is what counts.

bennyl08

Highlighted rule no applicable, as it was not done to prevent a score, it was done to stop the clock.

Also, read the opening line.

"A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:"

99% of the time, the foul that isn't a play on the ball but is at the end of the game with the sole purpose of stopping the clock would not be deemed excessive or unnecessary because they rarely are. Person gets the ball, you slap their arm or back, free throws ensue.

In this scenario, the slap on the back was a full on push combined with a trip that knocked the person over. Not only was that foul to stop the clock a lot more excessive in nature than the vast majority of clock stopping fouls that are rightfully not flagrant 1, the vast majority of those fouls happen when the person isn't in the process of going for a shot but happen during the passing stage. We made it through their defense before being fouled, had a player with an unabated path to the goal, charging towards said goal, and their player pushed him in the back, knocking him down, and thus preventing a likely goal and using much more force than is normally seen for a foul to stop the clock.

Not sure how it could have been called any other way or how this is a penalty that isn't normally called. The normal fouls are not excessive in nature and are necessary to get the ball back with time. This was excessive and was directly preventing a goal from being scored. Case closed.

PonderinHog

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Rawker on March 17, 2017, 02:59:37 pm
The Big East lawyer....posing as an anchor....just can't give it up and amazingly he now looks like a complete turd, and it's plain to see that he fought too hard to the point that I think he might have gone to SH.

And then the tall black dude shoved him around a little and he didn't like that at all. LOL

LRHog

PonderinHog

Where's Dickie V, to call the SH player a mouse?

HawgnCorona

Ahhhhhhhh, where is your eyeballs man? He was on a drive for the basket. He was pushed and tripped from behind,
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

bennyl08

FineAsSwine

alohawg

Run out of gas?

Actually with modern pirates it might be more accurate to say the Pirates ran out of gas, since their vessel of choice is usually gas powered, j/s.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hogs958 on March 17, 2017, 02:40:24 pm
go Texas Southern!

TS down by 8 5 minutes in. Going to be a long game Sunday if we can't hit some threes and come down with some boards.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jackrabbit Hog

Adam Stokes

This game was so back and forth. Check out 538's percent chance of winning through the game.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 17, 2017, 03:31:19 pm
This game was so back and forth. Check out 538's percent chance of winning through the game.

Then why even have such a goofy, meaningless stat?

LRHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 03:32:47 pm
Then why even have such a goofy, meaningless stat?

its not meaningless at all.... You're percentage chance to win based on a number of statistics is perfectly valid... and quite interesting. Such as where the patriots had like a .02% chance to win, and came back... Its not that that stat is useless, its just that a .02% chance is still a chance that it happens.

PonderinHog

Jackrabbit Hog

rljjr

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 17, 2017, 03:18:21 pm
Where's Dickie V, to call the SH player a mouse?

Somebody ought to take that audio and put it over the SH play. Just for giggles.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rljjr on March 17, 2017, 04:05:49 pm
Somebody ought to take that audio and put it over the SH play. Just for giggles.

Please, please, please!!!

Swinesong1

Biggus Piggus

Run out of gas?

The Pirates ran out of rum.

Why is the rum always gone?
[CENSORED]!

razorbacker3

the only difference the flagrant foul made was 1 pt and 1-2 sec of position time.

bennyl08

Quote from: alohawg on March 17, 2017, 03:24:24 pm
Actually with modern pirates it might be more accurate to say the Pirates ran out of gas, since their vessel of choice is usually gas powered, j/s.

Everybody saw the Tom Hanks movie. Nobody thins of them with Pirates, the Seton Hall mascot isn't a Somalian, he's a swashbuckling buccaneer.

That'd be like saying modern raptors do fly so crashing down is a more accurate pun since a modern raptor is a hawk.

No, the Toronto raptors are Dromaeosauridae, not modern birds and the pun should have been about going extinct.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PossumFan on March 17, 2017, 02:40:56 pm
Someone tell that dumb*** it wasn't the trip, it was the shove from behind that resulted in the F1.
You gotta tell all of em in here too! Don't know the rules but comment like they are experts on the subject!

PonderinHog

bennyl08

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 17, 2017, 03:15:28 pm
Also, read the opening line.

"A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:"

99% of the time, the foul that isn't a play on the ball but is at the end of the game with the sole purpose of stopping the clock would not be deemed excessive or unnecessary because they rarely are. Person gets the ball, you slap their arm or back, free throws ensue.

In this scenario, the slap on the back was a full on push combined with a trip that knocked the person over. Not only was that foul to stop the clock a lot more excessive in nature than the vast majority of clock stopping fouls that are rightfully not flagrant 1, the vast majority of those fouls happen when the person isn't in the process of going for a shot but happen during the passing stage. We made it through their defense before being fouled, had a player with an unabated path to the goal, charging towards said goal, and their player pushed him in the back, knocking him down, and thus preventing a likely goal and using much more force than is normally seen for a foul to stop the clock.

Not sure how it could have been called any other way or how this is a penalty that isn't normally called. The normal fouls are not excessive in nature and are necessary to get the ball back with time. This was excessive and was directly preventing a goal from being scored. Case closed.

All the defender had to do was use his left arm/hand to try to make a play on the ball and this call would not have been made. A foul, yes. But not an intentional foul. As you point out, this shouldn't be so difficult to understand and it was explained, not by the game commentators who were obviously wrong, but by the crew in the studio after leaving the game. 
Go Hogs Go!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 17, 2017, 05:03:57 pm
Benny's mad, Jackrabbit.   I can tell!

Okay.  I'll give him back his slide rule and pocket protector.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

It was a flagrant the same way Dusty's was an F1 against the U.K. The arms were extended after initial contact.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ugly Uncle

In other news.  With almost 6 minutes left in the game SH had 68 points.  The made one shot and one free-throw in the final 6 minutes of the game.  I'd say that was pretty good defense.
Retired Radio Host

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 17, 2017, 05:40:55 pm
In other news.  With almost 6 minutes left in the game SH had 68 points.  The made one shot and one free-throw in the final 6 minutes of the game.  I'd say that was pretty good defense.

Dont tell these facts to CWebb...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 17, 2017, 08:17:07 pm
Dont tell these facts to CWebb...

I thought he did pretty well.

By the way, I was once going into a locker room to interview Corliss when he was team mates with Chris Webber.  Webber was completely naked doing interviews.  Very uncomfortable.  That was my first time as a media person and going in to a locker room.  It scarred me for life. 

Fortunately, Corliss was already dressed.
Retired Radio Host

SamBuckhart

Thanks for the win,HOGS. Great win. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!