Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hang on - The Bubble Hasn't Popped Yet!

Started by jerradh24, March 09, 2020, 12:52:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jerradh24

I think it's premature to abandon all hope for an at-large bid.

Before you start screaming at me - I'm also not saying we're in and there is clearly more work to be done. A three-game run in the SEC tournament would strengthen our case. Without it, I'm not sure there's any glimmer of hope.

However, as pointed out by Kevin McPherson today, there are many factors that bolster the resume.

-- No. 47 NET > many Bubble teams incl all from SEC
-- 12-1 OOC incl 2-1 on road w/2 Quad-1 Ws (@ GT @ Indiana)
-- 4 total Q1 Ws (incl LSU, @ Bama)
-- W/3 wins at SECT (Vandy, SC, LSU), Hogs reach 22 Ws (incl 10 SEC), 5 Q1 Ws, 7 away Ws, 6-3 in last 9, NET Top 40

Also, there is the Isaiah Joe factor.   (Again - Kevin's research)

Arkansas (19-12, 7-11 SEC) was ...
-- 16-4 w/healthy Zai, incl 5-3 in SEC gm
-- 18-7 w/Zai in lineup whether injured or healthy
-- 1-5 w/Zai out of lineup

I also have seen all of the tournament projections from Lunardi to Palm  - but those guys aren't on the selection committee and year after year, you'll see these same experts crying about how the committee got it wrong. So, clearly they never fully or accurately predict the entire field. 

Adam Stokes

I still think we need 4 wins. While we've moved up to four Q1 wins with LSU's win on Saturday, our first game will be against Vandy (Q3) next game against SC (Q2) and then if we beat LSU, it will knock a Q1 win to Q2 and then add a Q2. So we'll technically have less Q1 wins by winning three games, unless some of the teams in the high 20's perform poorly and soften LSU movement. I think we'll still need one more (against whomever) to pull it off.

The good news is that all of those games are very winnable.

Smithian

Win three games in Nashville and we may make it with some luck. I doubt it.

But I'd rather actually make it past Vandy before imagining some miracle run.

RoyHobbs92

We finished 11th in the SEC. That can't be overlooked. We have to win the tournament to make the NCAA's.

Smithian

Quote from: RoyHobbs92 on March 09, 2020, 01:27:48 pm
We finished 11th in the SEC. That can't be overlooked. We have to win the tournament to make the NCAA's.
I agree. I think it'll be very hard for the NCAA to overlook that simple fact.

CowHog32

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 09, 2020, 01:15:27 pm
I still think we need 4 wins. While we've moved up to four Q1 wins with LSU's win on Saturday, our first game will be against Vandy (Q3) next game against SC (Q2) and then if we beat LSU, it will knock a Q1 win to Q2 and then add a Q2. So we'll technically have less Q1 wins by winning three games, unless some of the teams in the high 20's perform poorly and soften LSU movement. I think we'll still need one more (against whomever) to pull it off.

This is why I don't like the quad stuff.. we beat LSU and that potentially drops them down from a Q1 to a Q2.. Conference tournament games shouldn't count for quality wins/losses.. there are so many higher ranked teams that don't care about winning conference tournaments that can you really consider it a Q1 win?

jst01

Season was lost on home loss to South Carolina and tip in Miss State loss at home. Those two should have been wins with a team that understands what is at stake.

Hogwild

Exactly we finished 11th in a four, maybe 5, bid league.

FraggleHog

Quote from: jerradh24 on March 09, 2020, 12:52:19 pm
I think it's premature to abandon all hope for an at-large bid.

Before you start screaming at me - I'm also not saying we're in and there is clearly more work to be done. A three-game run in the SEC tournament would strengthen our case. Without it, I'm not sure there's any glimmer of hope.

However, as pointed out by Kevin McPherson today, there are many factors that bolster the resume.

-- No. 47 NET > many Bubble teams incl all from SEC
-- 12-1 OOC incl 2-1 on road w/2 Quad-1 Ws (@ GT @ Indiana)
-- 4 total Q1 Ws (incl LSU, @ Bama)
-- W/3 wins at SECT (Vandy, SC, LSU), Hogs reach 22 Ws (incl 10 SEC), 5 Q1 Ws, 7 away Ws, 6-3 in last 9, NET Top 40

Also, there is the Isaiah Joe factor.   (Again - Kevin's research)

Arkansas (19-12, 7-11 SEC) was ...
-- 16-4 w/healthy Zai, incl 5-3 in SEC gm
-- 18-7 w/Zai in lineup whether injured or healthy
-- 1-5 w/Zai out of lineup

I also have seen all of the tournament projections from Lunardi to Palm  - but those guys aren't on the selection committee and year after year, you'll see these same experts crying about how the committee got it wrong. So, clearly they never fully or accurately predict the entire field.

Only issue with this argument is that those OOC games happened at the beginning of the season. It just seems like the selection committee is in more of a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of mind state. I know that most to all teams play the majority of their OOC schedule at the beginning of the season, but just seems like they more heavily weight the conference performance that OOC. That being said, I hope I'm wrong!
Calling the Hogs from DFW

k.c.hawg

March 09, 2020, 01:48:31 pm #9 Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:45:20 pm by k.c.hawg

It should knock a Quad 1 LSU at home to a Quad II and add a Quad 1 LSU on neutral floor (Top 50).
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

311Hog

Bucksnout

I can't wait till we get good again, and hope we schedule Kansas, Virginia, Duke, etc etc..........

Smithian

Quote from: Bucksnout on March 09, 2020, 01:56:24 pm
I can't wait till we get good again, and hope we schedule Kansas, Virginia, Duke, etc etc..........
Let's put a W on Western Kentucky before we start picking fights with the big dogs.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Bucksnout on March 09, 2020, 01:56:24 pm

We are already in the tournament in Vegas with Louisville and I would suspect they will fill with 2 pretty good mid major teams. Their goal will be an Arkansas/Louisville final.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PokeyHogFan

We also have to consider how much different the bubble can look after this week. Take for example, Northern Iowa, who has a 25-6 record as well as a NET ranking in the 30's. Chaos can ensue this coming week and the landscape can shift dramatically.

Kevin McPherson

March 09, 2020, 02:31:15 pm #15 Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:46:42 pm by Kevin McPherson

LSU is currently No. 29 in NET. By the time Friday rolls around, having not played to that point, LSU could move up if teams ahead of it lose (obviously the alternative is also a possibility if teams just behind the Tigers win) ... point is, if Hogs were to get that far and defeat LSU, that would be a Quad-1 win (neutral-site wins over NET Top 50) with a chance that the home win last week could hold up as a Q1 win ... either way, the resume at that point would put Hogs in a lot of favorable measurable in terms of what NCAAT resumes look like.

One thing that I also tweeted that was not included in the OP was this ...

So, what R Hogs' chances to win 3 in a row at SECT? Consider:
-- Vandy won last 2 gms: SCar, at Bama
-- SCar won 79-77 at UA in Jan
-- Hogs would be playing for 3rd straight day vs LSU if they get to Fri
-- Hogs have not won 3 str8 gms since Dec, & only 2 in a row twice since Dec

Only so many characters in a tweet, and had I had more to include I would have said the last 3-game win streak there was a week between each game, which is huge for a team that does not have reliable depth (rest and preparation).

1highhog

We will do okay I think in the NIT this year unless we're put against a team that has great inside presence.  There is about a 10% chance of us winning 4 games in the SEC Tournament and that's what we'll need to go to the NCAA Tournament.

Satellite

We clearly don't hold our own destiny in our hands. Especially if we don't run the table in the SECT. Will need some help from other bubble teams blowing it in their own conference tournaments.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Smithian on March 09, 2020, 01:28:58 pm
I agree. I think it'll be very hard for the NCAA to overlook that simple fact.

Quote from: Hogwild on March 09, 2020, 01:34:39 pm
Exactly we finished 11th in a four, maybe 5, bid league.

I disagree, mainly because of the 0-5 stretch without Isaiah Joe being the reason for the 11th-place league finish. IF the Hogs win 3 at SECT, the resume will be worthy in many ways (22 wins, 4-5 Q1 wins, 7 wins away from home, 6-3 in last 9 gms since the return of Joe, NET would likely be just inside of Top 40, and even the record against SEC teams would be 10-12).

I'm not saying 3 more wins gets an at-large bid, I'm saying the resume would definitely be NCAAT worthy and you can bet there will be 3-4 teams that do sneak in with similar, maybe not as good, resumes.

Win 4 and the Hogs will Dance without needing the auto-qualifier in the SECT finals.

alohawg

Hogs can win it all if they play like they have nothing to lose, because they don't. Just relax and let her fly, no pressure now. Seems Joe shoots better that way anyway.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

thehill1414

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on March 09, 2020, 02:42:01 pm
I disagree, mainly because of the 0-5 stretch without Isaiah Joe being the reason for the 11th-place league finish. IF the Hogs win 3 at SECT, the resume will be worthy in many ways (22 wins, 4-5 Q1 wins, 7 wins away from home, 6-3 in last 9 gms since the return of Joe, NET would likely be just inside of Top 40, and even the record against SEC teams would be 10-12).

I'm not saying 3 more wins gets an at-large bid, I'm saying the resume would definitely be NCAAT worthy and you can bet there will be 3-4 teams that do sneak in with similar, maybe not as good, resumes.

Win 4 and the Hogs will Dance without needing the auto-qualifier in the SECT finals.

Totally agree, Kevin. Some of you are putting too much emphasis on conference place. The only good that does for you is allows you to rest more and have an "easier" road during the SEC tournament. 22 wins and we will be most likely in.

jjdlc

3 wins may get us there.  At the very least it'll make selection Sunday interesting.  A lot has to go right in other conference tourney's etc.  I'm just ready to watch some post season play.