Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illinois fires coach

Started by Hawghiggs, March 05, 2016, 12:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 07, 2016, 10:35:49 am
ALL of those other coaches you mentioned had already proven themselves as good college coaches BEFORE going to the pros. Smith has never been a college coach. The pro and college jobs do have differences.   

Well, 13 years as a college coach, but don't let that stop you from saying never

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 07, 2016, 01:54:31 pm
Well, 13 years as a college coach, but don't let that stop you from saying never

Sorry. My bad. I should have said HEAD college coach. It is common knowledge he was an assistant in college for quite a few years. The point still stands that not all college assistants, nor NFL head coaches or NFL assistant coaches make good college head coaches.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Lovie could turn out to be a great head coach for them. And still fail. On Chicago sports radio this morning was an Illini alum who is now a B10 analyst. He said if you walk into the football complex there is furniture that is 15 years old. Very little money has been spent on the infrastructure and they have the worst facilities in the B10.

The AD has a big fundraising job to do and Lovie will need 5 years to put out this dumpster fire.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 07, 2016, 04:40:07 pm
Lovie could turn out to be a great head coach for them. And still fail. On Chicago sports radio this morning was an Illini alum who is now a B10 analyst. He said if you walk into the football complex there is furniture that is 15 years old. Very little money has been spent on the infrastructure and they have the worst facilities in the B10.

The AD has a big fundraising job to do and Lovie will need 5 years to put out this dumpster fire.

Illinois and Purdue have always been the worst as far as the Big 10 facilities go.  An ex co worker of mine played for the Illini back in the mid 80s and it was bad then.

Obviously, nobody knows for sure about what he'll do as a head college coach, but being a Chicago bear fan, I know all too much of Lovie the head NFL coach.  Who knows though? Maybe he'll be able to hire some decent assistants.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 08, 2016, 10:23:24 am
Illinois and Purdue have always been the worst as far as the Big 10 facilities go.  An ex co worker of mine played for the Illini back in the mid 80s and it was bad then.

Obviously, nobody knows for sure about what he'll do as a head college coach, but being a Chicago bear fan, I know all too much of Lovie the head NFL coach.  Who knows though? Maybe he'll be able to hire some decent assistants.

As fas as stadiums go Athlon ranked Illinois 9th last year in their conference. The bottom two were Indiana and Purdue out of the 14 schools. Those also low ranking were Rutgers, Northwestern and Maryland.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 07, 2016, 04:40:07 pm

Maybe I am an old time football purist, but I would love to see Illinois pull themselves out of the weeds of college football and become a really good football team again. George Halas, Dick Butkus, Red Grange and Ray Nitschke are all pulling for them to do so.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2016, 06:50:06 pm
Maybe I am an old time football purist, but I would love to see Illinois pull themselves out of the weeds of college football and become a really good football team again. George Halas, Dick Butkus, Red Grange and Ray Nitschke are all pulling for them to do so.

And Lovie very well may be the guy to do it. But living in Chicago you see all of the little warts on coaches and he has them in spades. Lovie racks up wins against weaker teams but doesn't beat the top teams. That is why even with a 10 win average his teams don't make the playoffs. And when they do they don't go far.

Between the AD and him they will need big time money to build up the program. Also there is talk that they will need to lower their high academic standards to get the athletes they need. Not sure this region can support two teams (Northwestern being the other) with those requirements.

That is hard to do when you have a history of losing and not raising big funds. Lovie is good at defense, but has not been able to show he understands offense or player personnel. Which could equate to a good defense and boring offense. In today's game boring offense doesn't bring in the money.

Let's say his defense is phenomenal. Ok you slow down OSU, MSU, UW, AND UM. Can your offense score enough to win?

Look how long our program has been building up its infrastructure. Long inherited a program that was built on fundraising thanks to Broyles. Illinois' AD doesn't have that luxury.

I don't see Lovie getting that much time to build the program and raise the money needed. This is a mammoth overhaul for which this program doesn't have a history of accomplishing.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

JackMcQueen

2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

ChitownHawg

March 09, 2016, 09:12:28 am #108 Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:48:19 am by ChitownHawg
Quote from: JackMcQueen on March 09, 2016, 08:25:57 am
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/707556548600401920

I have not followed DM since he left the Hogs. Did he ever prove he could coach QBs without CBP? If he has then this is a good hire for Lovie.

husker71

I think just the opposite.  I have always heard (from sportswriters so consider the source)  that Lovie Smith is a players coach.  In my opinion he should be good in the living room.  He will be able to hire assistants from both college and pros.  I am not saying he can win in the Big 10   BUT I think he was their best option I was surprised by the hire

ChitownHawg

Quote from: husker71 on March 09, 2016, 10:11:30 am
I think just the opposite.  I have always heard (from sportswriters so consider the source)  that Lovie Smith is a players coach.  In my opinion he should be good in the living room.  He will be able to hire assistants from both college and pros.  I am not saying he can win in the Big 10   BUT I think he was their best option I was surprised by the hire

He is a players coach. Even though he was failing to get the Bears in the playoffs the players were not happy with his firing.

If the decision is based solely on the coach then he will do well with recruits. However, I can almost guarantee the other school coaches will be speaking about the poor facilities and lack of winning tradition.

So the question becomes can his credentials pull in enough quality players to be a top team in the B10? We will see over the next couple of years.