Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Khalil Garland commits to Memphis

Started by -Blu, March 01, 2016, 07:36:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Razorod on March 03, 2016, 01:48:41 pm
How good is our shot with Jamal? I have a feeling he's who the coaches really want, not sure how much he wants to be a Hog.
Most think its Auburn or Alabama.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

The_Iceman

How good is our shot with Jamal? I have a feeling he's who the coaches really want, not sure how much he wants to be a Hog.

http://247sports.com/player/jamal-johnson-77070

Doesn't look good, unless CJ Jones helps with his recruitment. I have no idea if they are friends or not.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2016, 02:03:22 pm
http://247sports.com/player/jamal-johnson-77070

Doesn't look good, unless CJ Jones helps with his recruitment. I have no idea if they are friends or not.

Yeah, looks like he isn't getting out of the state of Alabama. Lucky for those schools. I hope we get that advantage with most of these talented in-state kids coming up, especially Ethan Henderson.

hogwood

Not sure. If Mike has a good ol' Birmingham connection with him then it may be good. Alabama is probably considered the favorite and they are hot on Johnson's trail. But it's early and the kid hasn't given any hints yet.

chiefhawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 01, 2016, 11:29:16 pm
If Anderson can't land Henderson, he doesn't deserve his job. 2018 has the potential to be one of the best classes ever. Vanover and Henderson would be the best big man duo in the land and the next year we'll have Justice Hill coming in. Don't forget Gafford will probably be here for those 3 years. But I'm glad we're recruiting him early. Calipari is the only real threat and he has yet to offer him.
You mean better than the last great class of Madden, Mickleson, Ross, Rivers, and BJ Youing? That really was an impact group.

The_Iceman

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogwood on March 03, 2016, 11:23:19 am
Just glad he never led on any Arkansas fans. Good thing is we have better shots at 2 players that are better than Garland. Jamal Johnson (AL) and Brandon Rachal (LA).

You are right. It doesn't have the same feel as the extended play or negativity associated with K.J., Kevaughn, Malik or Archie. Kids who know they want to go out of state, I have no problem with, especially if they put it out there early so that we can move on to more realistic targets.

I don't think we have but one or two scholly's for that year so would be nice to get an early commit from Johnson or Rachal so we could get a more narrow focus on what we need for 2018 and get a jump start on building around the 2017 class.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

rude1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 03, 2016, 03:59:52 pm
You are right. It doesn't have the same feel as the extended play or negativity associated with K.J., Kevaughn, Malik or Archie. Kids who know they want to go out of state, I have no problem with, especially if they put it out there early so that we can move on to more realistic targets.

I don't think we have but one or two scholly's for that year so would be nice to get an early commit from Johnson or Rachal so we could get a more narrow focus on what we need for 2018 and get a jump start on building around the 2017 class.
Kevaughn doesn't belong on that list IMO, he never led the staff or anyone else on. It was widely known in the AAU circles before his junior year, that his intent was to leave the state to play. The staff knew this and therefor didn't go after him hard. I would rather a kid do it that way than put on the front like they are interested so they can garner a few favors then when it comes time go elsewhere.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 03, 2016, 04:54:36 pm
Kevaughn doesn't belong on that list IMO, he never led the staff or anyone else on. It was widely known in the AAU circles before his junior year, that his intent was to leave the state to play. The staff knew this and therefor didn't go after him hard. I would rather a kid do it that way than put on the front like they are interested so they can garner a few favors then when it comes time go elsewhere.

I agree on Kevaughn but it did seem to rub some the wrong way when his stepdad came on the radio implying that Kevaughn was interested in the Hogs after Donovan left for the NBA.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 03, 2016, 05:47:17 pm
I agree on Kevaughn but it did seem to rub some the wrong way when his stepdad came on the radio implying that Kevaughn was interested in the Hogs after Donovan left for the NBA.
That was the drama with him.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 02, 2016, 04:49:10 pm
No, Little Rock needs to correct this situation. If it is such a gungho Hog town like we are always told, this should take care of itself.

Part of the problem is also that the AAU treasurer is from that area as well and the U of A has never played nice with that cess pool of an organization.

Maybe people in LR are tired of NWA and it's superiority complex.

I know a couple ex-hogs from Little Rock played peewee football and AAU ball with a few guys.   

They will flat out say that the only reason they were treated with any type of respect is because of sports aside from that and you won't hear too many positives about NWA.

People want UALR to get a football team like yesterday down here that way The NWA Razorbacks can stay that way and Little Rock would have its own not to mention the Central location.   

UALR is getting a lot of love even former Hogs call them the Real home team.

03 Central Beats 06 Springdale 10/10 times.

Ijs
BIE

ricepig

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 03, 2016, 05:50:09 pm

I know a couple ex-hogs from Little Rock played peewee football and AAU ball with a few guys.   

They will flat out say that the only reason they were treated with any type of respect is because of sports aside from that and you won't hear too many positives about NWA.

People want UALR to get a football team like yesterday down here that way The NWA Razorbacks can stay that way and Little Rock would have its own not to mention the Central location.   

Ijs

Yeah, those 5000 that would show up for LR games  would be awesome.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2016, 07:29:58 pm
Yeah, those 5000 that would show up for LR games  would be awesome.

Well, they would have to start somewhere. Seems that LR has more built in advantages and could support a football team better than Jonesboro. It certainly seems that it would be easier in terms of recruiting.

ShadowHawg

Ijs

Funny. I have lived all over this state and the ONLY area that I would say had a superiority complex would be Pulaski County. Just because you are jealous of the advancements in NWA hardly makes them have a superiority complex.

I have also always said that Central Arkansas was not as crazy about the Hogs as other areas. Any time UALR or A St. look decent in any sport Central Arkansas starts with the old "could the Hogs beat UALR/A St." garbage.

You can have your dump of a city with it's disgusting murder rate per capita and it's lousy college basketball program.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2016, 12:46:22 am
Funny. I have lived all over this state and the ONLY area that I would say had a superiority complex would be Pulaski County.
👍👍
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

onebadrubi

Ijs

Some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce... The writer of quoted comments above is one of them. 

Less than 3% of central Arkansas feels that way.  And I may be gracious by saying 3%.  I'm from central Arkansas and went to U of A. There is not a superiority complex on that campus of NWA vs Central Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 03, 2016, 10:14:21 pm
Well, they would have to start somewhere. Seems that LR has more built in advantages and could support a football team better than Jonesboro. It certainly seems that it would be easier in terms of recruiting.

Kind of like UAB has???

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2016, 07:27:59 am
Kind of like UAB has???

Well, I was talking about LR and Jonesboro. UAB has a different problem, Alabama and Auburn both are premier programs in their state. In Arkansas, its the UA and that's it.

UALR could get something going in football. ASU did it, so could they. The Stephens money is behind UALR. That gives them a head start, if they were seriously considering it.

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 04, 2016, 08:08:10 am
Well, I was talking about LR and Jonesboro. UAB has a different problem, Alabama and Auburn both are premier programs in their state. In Arkansas, its the UA and that's it.

UALR could get something going in football. ASU did it, so could they. The Stephens money is behind UALR. That gives them a head start, if they were seriously considering it.

Stephens have put more money in Fayetteville, without a doubt. Go ask the RF, lol.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2016, 01:49:09 pm
Stephens have put more money in Fayetteville, without a doubt. Go ask the RF, lol.

Don't doubt you at all, why wouldn't they?

Still, they are providing assistance to UALR program and they might help them out if there were a football team there. Not that there could be, would be or should be. 

Just a hypothetical that will probably never happen for a variety of reasons.

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 04, 2016, 02:06:36 pm
Don't doubt you at all, why wouldn't they?

Still, they are providing assistance to UALR program and they might help them out if there were a football team there. Not that there could be, would be or should be. 

Just a hypothetical that will probably never happen for a variety of reasons.

Well, you said Stephens' money was behind UALR, then you said "might" help, to me those aren't the same. UALR isn't going to start football, but I guess it can hypothetically be discussed, continue on.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2016, 02:27:45 pm
Well, you said Stephens' money was behind UALR, then you said "might" help, to me those aren't the same. UALR isn't going to start football, but I guess it can hypothetically be discussed, continue on.

Well there is the Jack Stephens Center so there is some level of support there for UALR.

Hawg Red

Hogs leaving LR (football) could open things up for more support as well.

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 04, 2016, 03:22:01 pm
Well there is the Jack Stephens Center so there is some level of support there for UALR.

No doubt, but I wouldn't equate that with funding a football team, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2016, 03:36:46 pm
Hogs leaving LR (football) could open things up for more support as well.

Could, but doubtful.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2016, 03:39:54 pm
No doubt, but I wouldn't equate that with funding a football team, lol.

C'mon man, you know I never said that they would fund a team. I was just mentioning them as someone who currently supports UALR and might help out if needed.

Boy, you get defensive about those Hogs. Cool down my man. I feel ya. I love the Hogs too.

TomBigBeeHog

Ok, reread my post and guess I wasn't clear about the hypothetical part. Game, set and match to RicePig. You win.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 04, 2016, 03:49:15 pm
Ok, reread my post and guess I wasn't clear about the hypothetical part. Game, set and match to RicePig. You win.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Yea!!!! I'm 1-23 now on HV!

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2016, 05:57:47 am
Some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce... The writer of quoted comments above is one of them. 

Less than 3% of central Arkansas feels that way.  And I may be gracious by saying 3%.  I'm from central Arkansas and went to U of A. There is not a superiority complex on that campus of NWA vs Central Arkansas.

Do you personally know former players?

I do. 

I'm sorry that the truth hurts but its a well known secret that many in LR especially after the Nolan ordeal stopped caring for the Hogs.

You have the local kids that people will support but whenever a high profile recruit leaves the state backlash isn't that great.  Well from certain communities.

I love my city and I think we would support a team better than Jonesboro.
BIE

ricepig

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 04, 2016, 05:36:28 pm

I do. 

I'm sorry that the truth hurts but its a well known secret that many in LR especially after the Nolan ordeal stopped caring for the Hogs.

You have the local kids that people will support but whenever a high profile recruit leaves the state backlash isn't that great.  Well from certain communities.

Hmm, probably about the same, at best. UALR does charge their students more per credit hour than ASU, and they don't have a football team.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2016, 05:14:08 pm
Yea!!!! I'm 1-23 now on HV!

It's a rebuilding year for me but things are looking up for next year! Right now I am posting heavily to gain experience and work on my fundamentals. Should see a big jump in post quality next year, mostly due to being a year older and presumably, wiser.

MuyBElla12

Arkansas Wasn't Even A Choice for Him....While y'all trying to Bash a child that's still in high school making decisions for himself and not tryna please anybody else his decisions is his decision despite everyone else opinion...Khalil is capable of doing everything y'all saying he can't I can vouch for him scoring 13+ points a game he just scored 22 lastnight ....Y'all really upset cause he not goin to Arkansas that's why y'all really Mad and I'm a Fan of the Patriots it's prolly Finna be a lot of the Patriots goin elsewhere and Arkansas was g even a choice for him so before y'all try to Bash a kid y'all need to do some research!!Thanks In Advance

Hawg Red

Quote from: MuyBElla12 on March 05, 2016, 07:54:26 am
Arkansas Wasn't Even A Choice for Him....While y'all trying to Bash a child that's still in high school making decisions for himself and not tryna please anybody else his decisions is his decision despite everyone else opinion...Khalil is capable of doing everything y'all saying he can't I can vouch for him scoring 13+ points a game he just scored 22 lastnight ....Y'all really upset cause he not goin to Arkansas that's why y'all really Mad and I'm a Fan of the Patriots it's prolly Finna be a lot of the Patriots goin elsewhere and Arkansas was g even a choice for him so before y'all try to Bash a kid y'all need to do some research!!Thanks In Advance

So....basically nothing will change? Kids from Parkview are already and have been steered away from Arkansas for a long time. No breaking news there. Thanks for nothing.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 05, 2016, 08:05:08 am
So....basically nothing will change? Kids from Parkview are already and have been steered away from Arkansas for a long time. No breaking news there. Thanks for nothing.

I guess he had some extra time sitting in a motel room in Russellville today, lol.

chiefhawg

With the exception of the Monk potential, how many "high" profile players have left the state and have had a major impact on their programs. Just the last 5 years. What are the schools and the records compared the the Razorbacks during this time frame. I will hangup and listen.

TomBigBeeHog

Good luck to the kid at Tiger High. Hogs didn't offer him so I guess the lack of interest was mutual. No harm, no foul.

hogwood

No one really cares that Garland isn't coming here. Just blab in general about the traitors in our state when it comes to AAU ball and LR high schools.

songofthesword

March 05, 2016, 08:59:12 pm #87 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:23:25 pm by songofthesword
1. We don't need guards in 2017 right now. Our top priority  should be a 4/5

2. My first cousin (dad's sisters son) Mike Jones is the last Parkview player to sign and play at arkansas that can from  Parkview  that was in 2000. Damn lol
3. Flanigan  is honestly  probably a better coach then anderson lol he's not going anywhere

4. Not only us he not going anywhere Wes will be his replacement 

5. Not only are they not u pushing arkansas  wes is an assistant at ualr already

6, Jason flanigan  is a juco was  coach

This is what irks me. It took  ualr coach all of a few weeks to access the little rock  basketball  scene and realize not darn was getting done if you did not have the flanigans on your side so he brought  wes home  problem solved 

If Mike doesn't mend the bridge you can pretty much kiss parkview kidsgoodbye , remember  beaRd was a mizzou  commit until he went  to nrl. I know more than most  how bad the flanigans hate Nolan / mike.  Mike damn near had to transfer back to Jacksonville when he committed  to the hogs

The problem is the kids that play ball as kids do do dreaming of playing at parkview not for the razorbacks . Flanigan  has  to do nothing more then cherry pick the best 7th 8th graders in the area as he coaches  magnet school

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2016, 06:14:50 pm
I don't think they have the $10m to buy him out.

Lot's of rumors flying around Memphis. They might just have it........or they might not. Stay tuned.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: chiefhawg on March 05, 2016, 08:57:54 am
With the exception of the Monk potential, how many "high" profile players have left the state and have had a major impact on their programs. Just the last 5 years. What are the schools and the records compared the the Razorbacks during this time frame. I will hangup and listen.

What's important is that people create their own blueprints and benchmarks for success and stick to them whether they are the reality or not.

TomBigBeeHog

I'm not disappointed that the kid is not coming here. I never felt he was a must have type and apparently neither did the staff. He should have an opportunity to prove himself at Tiger High. With Pastner as coach, good luck with that.

Dropkick

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 04, 2016, 05:36:28 pm

I do. 

You lost me at "well known secret".

downsouthhawg72

He played for Team Penny & word is Penny Hardaway is about to be Memphis next coach.
DownSouthHawg

maydaynasty1

As I sit here & read these OFF DA WALL post/comments & how ridiculous some of the comments sound, I can't help but to LOL.. I see a lot of misinformed hog fans in this group, pointing fingers & blaming Flanagan, k. Cotton, & whomever else that's not associated with b.ingram & r. Crawford for players leaving, smh... it's more to it, but that's another topic. As far as AL being replaced by one of his sons, never, that will never happen,  WHY, WHY WOULD U LEAVE a COLLEGE coaching job, to go back down & coach high school?? Last but not least, k.GARLAND, IS A BEAST!!!!  Don't get mad, because he verbally committed to MEMPHIS, Arkansas didn't recruit him or attempt to visit, nor did they become interested in him, until he put 23 on  u r #1 recruit daniels...lol.. let me say this, Arkansas isn't a top tier program & hasn't been one since NOLAN left. to be continued. ....

hei5manhog

Quote from: -Blu on March 02, 2016, 12:21:20 am
I think Anderson's job will depend more on him winning the next couple of years rather than what Henderson and Vanover decide.  Those rankings right now really don't mean anything, that's why ESPN only has about 25 of them ranked.  Even the Justice Hill commit doesn't mean much right now, still a long time away from 2019, and a lot for him to prove. 

You really don't know how good they will be until after they've played AAU in the 17U circuit, then you get a good idea of how good or not good they will be.   Remember this time last year, everybody was saying Mitchell Smith was a must get, and he was getting a ton of hype. Adrian Moore was another guy people thought would be a must get for Arkansas a few years ago.  Even our own Trey Thompson was once a 4-star on ESPN.   And his stock dropped.

I guess my whole point is, wait until the kid plays against top notch competition, before you label him a "must get for a coach to keep his job" because  I've seen those same people that hype the kids up be the same people that are the most critical of them when they don't pan out. 

Mitchell had a great game against Malik and Bentonville the other day. I still can't believe they lost. Had malik bottled up most of the game. It took a lot of work to get his points. It wasn't just an all out "chase malik everywhere" strategy. They got a really unfortunate foul call on Mitchell for his 5th foul. That's what did them in. He fouled out 3 or 4 of bentonvilles big men. They didn't really have an answer after that. He's smooth, but needs to bulk up big time.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: maydaynasty1 on March 07, 2016, 04:52:07 pm
As I sit here & read these OFF DA WALL post/comments & how ridiculous some of the comments sound, I can't help but to LOL.. I see a lot of misinformed hog fans in this group, pointing fingers & blaming Flanagan, k. Cotton, & whomever else that's not associated with b.ingram & r. Crawford for players leaving, smh... it's more to it, but that's another topic. As far as AL being replaced by one of his sons, never, that will never happen,  WHY, WHY WOULD U LEAVE a COLLEGE coaching job, to go back down & coach high school?? Last but not least, k.GARLAND, IS A BEAST!!!!  Don't get mad, because he verbally committed to MEMPHIS, Arkansas didn't recruit him or attempt to visit, nor did they become interested in him, until he put 23 on  u r #1 recruit daniels...lol.. let me say this, Arkansas isn't a top tier program & hasn't been one since NOLAN left. to be continued. ....

ok, bye bye now. Skitter on down to Tiger High with your cousin/nephew. We good over here.

ricepig

Who is Daniels?

poloprince

I don't think anyone is upset about him committing to Memphis. Don't get confused by the negative posters who have a vendetta against MA. They gripe when in-state kids go to Wichita St, Lehigh etc.  He's a good player, but beast I would not say that. Memphis has signed far better rated prospects out of higschool, but Pastner isn't very good at coaching them.
$PoLoPrInCe$

MuyBElla12

Like I Said....He isn't tryna please y'all or anybody else his choice is his choice now...Y'all really don't kno much about KHALIL....Cause if y'all did y'all really wouldn't rant about him..He a good kid and he has talent way more talent than half of the people that play on the Razorbacks y'all can't get mad cause Arkansas wasn't a choice just jump on the ban wagon alone wit the rest of the Parkview Haters😂😂😂