Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME THREAD: Arkansas Razorbacks @ Missouri

Started by Razorbacks#1, February 13, 2014, 05:27:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:18:19 pm
They'd take the shot attempt, but it's still not the best plan we could have come up with. Time and time again, it's on Madden to pull something out of his rear.
whats a better plan? You got 5 seconds to get the ball in and IMO scoring position. You get a layup an you are bitching. Color me shocked.

elksnort

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:18:19 pm
They'd take the shot attempt, but it's still not the best plan we could have come up with. Time and time again, it's on Madden to pull something out of his rear.
Well, he's the most poised on the team it appears. Was there anyone he could have dished to?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:18:35 pm
So the look was good. But the plan was bad? Execution lies with Madden not the coach. A coach can't make the layup for you. And I'm thinkig if you get a goo look with a chance to win the game then the plan did everything it was supposed to. If you would have told CMA he would have a layup for a chance to win the game on the road by 1 he would take it in a heartbeat.

Who makes the plan? Madden? No.

You can blame Madden for not executing, while I credit him for making something out of "nothing."

Once you realize what this "nothing" is, you'll understand my point.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:19:59 pm
whats a better plan? You got 5 seconds to get the ball in and IMO scoring position. You get a layup an you are bitching. Color me shocked.

We had 10 seconds. Don't make up the story as you go just to be angry.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

maxhog5

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:11:30 pm
It was not a good plan. Twist my words all you want, but it's not the best we could have planned for. Madden was lucky to get as good of a look on his own. We certainly didn't work to get him open as much as he drove and threw it up on his own.

Problem with the last play had nothing to do with Madden.  Ky did his job, driving and drawing the defense.  Problem was spacing like it has been all year with Arkansas.  Everyone wound up in a big bunch with no kick out angles.  Rosberg was able to come over and challenge Madden yet someone failed to rotate to an open spot to give Madden a passing angle. 

azhog10

Quote from: Hammibal Lecter on February 13, 2014, 08:48:56 pm
Our help D on drives was non existent tonight.
This has been my biggest gripe. Portis is one of the worst. But bell and Williams are bad as well. Portis gave up a three he didn't rotate out on and we have up a number of layups with no help.

azhog10

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 13, 2014, 09:22:04 pm
Problem with the last play had nothing to do with Madden.  Ky did his job, driving and drawing the defense.  Problem was spacing like it has been all year with Arkansas.  Everyone wound up in a big bunch with no kick out angles.  Rosberg was able to come over and challenge Madden yet someone failed to rotate to an open spot to give Madden a passing angle.
Worst part is the backside rebounder which was Portis should hVe stuck it back. But he didn't get off his man and well you know the rest.

elksnort

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 13, 2014, 09:22:04 pm
Thanks, you answered my question about Madden having to take what was a makable shot.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:21:31 pm
We had 10 seconds. Don't make up the story as you go just to be angry.
Im actually not angry. A little disappointed but that's it. Even with 10 it's not a lot of time. You normally tell your guys to go with 6-8 so big a lot of time but definitely enough. I just find it funny people are upset with a layup to win the game. And not like. Courtney Fortson or BJ Young Hail Mary type of layup. It was a legit layup and some of you are mad we didn't shoot some three. Jokers!

PonderinHog

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:09:14 pm
We did much better in the 2nd half. Have up 23 in the first and at one point late in the game we had only given up 6 in the 2nd. Big part of us coming back from 11 down was our defense and rebounding.
AZ, you know I'm with you, but it's a forty minute game and they all count the same.  We have to do a better job defending the paint.  Maybe it's asking too much from this team at this time.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:27:26 pm
Im actually not angry. A little disappointed but that's it. Even with 10 it's not a lot of time. You normally tell your guys to go with 6-8 so big a lot of time but definitely enough. I just find it funny people are upset with a layup to win the game. And not like. Courtney Fortson or BJ Young Hail Mary type of layup. It was a legit layup and some of you are mad we didn't shoot some three. Jokers!

I don't think anyone is upset that we didn't attempt a three. Recall Harris driving for two when we needed three, or Madden (on two occasions) chucking a trey at the end when we needed a two (thankful for Qualls on one of those). Our efforts just continue to be so basic (and frustrating). 10 seconds is more than enough time to come off a screen, make a pass, put up a shot, and attempt a putback.

For Madden, does it really matter where he takes the shot from? Because no matter where he shoots from it's on him to take it without any real help from his team to get the best look possible.

Hihog

Puthified D, we should have been putting their azz in the seats when they came down the lane, Frank rubbed Mike's nose in it, all night long :puke:

azhog10

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 13, 2014, 09:28:21 pm
AZ, you know I'm with you, but it's a forty minute game and they all count the same.  We have to do a better job defending the paint.  Maybe it's asking too much from this team at this time.
I agree. But it was clear CMA made a point to protect the paint in the 2nd. Wish we would have done it in the first.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:30:34 pm
I don't think anyone is upset that we didn't attempt a three. Recall Harris driving for two when we needed three, or Madden (on two occasions) chucking a trey at the end when we needed a two (thankful for Qualls on one of those). Our efforts just continue to be so basic (and frustrating). 10 seconds is more than enough time to come off a screen, make a pass, put up a shot, and attempt a putback.

For Madden, does it really matter where he takes the shot from? Because no matter where he shoots from it's on him to take it without any real help from his team to get the best look possible.
K.I.S.S. Sometimes you just have to keep it simple stupid. Funny that just a simple ISO still works at the end of the game. We have to e the last team still running an ISO at the end of a game. Coaches in the NBA making millions more than CMA don't run ISO plays to win a game. We just got the same look madden had gotten almost all game. He was taking his man to the rim all night and got us back in the game doing it. Shame for MA going with what was working.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:46:07 pm
K.I.S.S. Sometimes you just have to keep it simple stupid. Funny that just a simple ISO still works at the end of the game. We have to e the last team still running an ISO at the end of a game. Coaches in the NBA making millions more than CMA don't run ISO plays to win a game. We just got the same look madden had gotten almost all game. He was taking his man to the rim all night and got us back in the game doing it. Shame for MA going with what was working.

SOMETIMES? How about EVERY TIME! ISO did not work. We finally got a decent drive, but again (and again and again), it was a contested look that was nothing more than Madden driving and creating something on his own.

You'll take and live with the attempt because, simply put, you have to. Hindsight is 20/20.

Far too many times before tonight, our ISO attempts ended badly. We finally get a good look and you give the proverbial fist pump? Ehhh...even the play drawn up on the prior timeout MA took was a blown play that ended with Wade and Madden playing hot potato near the bench before Madden got aggressive and stepped out of bounds.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 09:50:16 pm
SOMETIMES? How about EVERY TIME! ISO did not work. We finally got a decent drive, but again (and again and again), it was a contested look that was nothing more than Madden driving and creating something on his own.

You'll take and live with the attempt because, simply put, you have to. Hindsight is 20/20.

Far too many times before tonight, our ISO attempts ended badly. We finally get a good look and you give the proverbial fist pump? Ehhh...even the play drawn up on the prior timeout MA took was a blown play that ended with Wade and Madden playing hot potato near the bench before Madden got aggressive and stepped out of bounds.
Fact is I will take any kind of play that results in that look. It was contested but it wasn't anywhere close to being blocked or really affected. Madden should make that all day. So the point is I don't care what's drawn up, but if the look is what we got I'm taking that over anything. Arguing over that is just dumb and shows some will bitch about the littlest of things.

Not every coach is going to give a team a wide open dunk to win the game........

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 09:56:47 pm
Fact is I will take any kind of play that results in that look. It was contested but it wasn't anywhere close to being blocked or really affected. Madden should make that all day. So the point is I don't care what's drawn up, but if the look is what we got I'm taking that over anything. Arguing over that is just dumb and shows some will bitch about the littlest of things.

Not every coach is going to give a team a wide open dunk to win the game........

You don't care what is drawn up, as long as we pull something out of Madden's tail and score. Got it. That's all I wanted you to post.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2014, 10:01:19 pm
You don't care what is drawn up, as long as we pull something out of Madden's tail and score. Got it. That's all I wanted you to post.
Doesnt have to be Madden. If it was Clarke or Portis with the layup I would've been pleased. What anyone wants in that situation is a good look. We got that. Not UAB vs Ark kind of look. But good enough.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 13, 2014, 10:04:21 pm
Doesnt have to be Madden. If it was Clarke or Portis with the layup I would've been pleased. What anyone wants in that situation is a good look. We got that. Not UAB vs Ark kind of look. But good enough.

I get your point. You say it's on any one player to find a way to go 1 vs 5, and it's not on MA to use a TO, use his team to create an open look instead of a contested shot (even if it's five feet away, it's still contested).

It's all on the players in your eyes. Good luck to'm.

razorback93

Does anybody notice a pattern?  We seem to always hit a scoring, or at least a FG drought from the around the 8 minute mark to around the 3 minute mark.  This seems to especially happen on the road.  I am tempted to go back and look at the play by play from the games to see if I am right, but I'm too tired. 

TheGrove68

MA pretty much did the same thing at Mizzou out of T.O. or at the end of the games just ISO and allow and hope a play is made. And since his teams tend to be poor rebounders put backs where few. It's just his style some times it works more often it doesn't. MA system wins games by wearing a opponent out not beating them on a last second drawn up play.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot