Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Nuttin' But Net, Stretching the Quads

Through Games Mar 12 2024

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Pitino calls NET rankings 'fraudulent'

Laments St. John's missing NCAA Tournament

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteSt. John's had one of the most interesting seasons of any team in the country, but the Red Storm came up just short of the NCAA Tournament field when it was announced on Sunday evening.

And coach Rick Pitino was not happy with the metrics that led to that decision.

He opened fire on the NET rankings, one of the primary factors in the NCAA Tournament decision-making process, blasting them and calling for their use to end.

"I mean we're 32 in the NET. I mean first of all I think we should all probably never mention that word again, because I think it's fraudulent," Pitino said. "My son was 25 in the NET and he was saying he wasn't in with 25 wins. So I think the NET's something that shouldn't even be mentioned anymore."

Pitino's son, Richard Pitino, did make it into the tournament with New Mexico, though the Lobos earned a bid by virtue of winning the Mountain West tournament. Whether they'd have been a similar victim of fate like St. John's had they not is a question that won't be answered.

But for Pitino's squad, a remarkable close to the season was met with disappointment.

After Pitino shredded his team and went full scorched earth following a 68-62 loss to Seton Hall, St. John's went on to win its next six games. The run was ended in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament with a loss to UConn, which earned a No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Big East did get three teams into the field of 68.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein

Mark Pope references the Maui Invitational --- which Kentucky hasn't played in since 2010 --- and a potential game against Rick Pitino and St. John's at his opening press conference at Rupp Arena.

5:21 PM · Apr 14, 2024
·

jbcarol

Report: A&M, Purdue set for 2024-25 men's basketball matchup

by: Matt Connolly

QuoteA&M will face national runner-up Purdue in a big-time out-of-conference game in December, according to Jon Rothstein.

The Aggies and Boilermakers will meet Saturday, Dec. 14 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse

jbcarol

Quote from: Dick Swineberg on April 12, 2024, 09:35:11 amAccording to Chris Reynolds, the United Center in Chicago and Champions Classic Event are "highly motivated" to replace Kentucky with Arkansas in 2024 and beyond.

The non-conference schedule could look quite different this year.

https://x.com/247chrishoops/status/1778618894388699178?s=46&t=P-Apt0BTL_9k1IahTkuroA

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Source: Oklahoma will host Central Arkansas as part of its 2024-25 non-conference schedule.
8:00 AM · Apr 17, 2024
·

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

NEWS: North Carolina will play Florida and Michigan will face Oklahoma in the 2024 Jumpman Invitational, according to multiple sources.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

NEWS: Memphis and Mississippi State will begin a home-and-home series next season at FedExForum, according to multiple sources.

Return game in Starkville in 2025-26.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

NEWS: Memphis and Ole Miss will start a new home-and-home series next season at FedExForum, according to multiple sources.

Return game in Oxford in 2025-26.