Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any chance of us getting similar improvements soon at BWA?

Started by Dr Swineglove, November 26, 2007, 09:11:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Swineglove

http://s159447050.onlinehome.us/utvols/other/vasf/arena/tba-page1.html

Tennessee just completed an outstanding renovation on Thompson-Boling Arena.
BWA was a much newer/better arena than T-B prior to the renovations, but BWA
is starting to show it's age a bit and is definitely not tops in the SEC anymore, for now.
I wonder if we'll see any major improvements soon?

Personally, I'd like to see an update of the concourses - I can't fricken' believe they still display
the same old faded posters they had up a decade ago.  Also, several seats around wear I sit
are torn - it's as if no one has done any real maintenance on the seating since the day it was installed.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hogfan98

they added some new boxes behind both baskets during the off season.  but you're right.  the concourse could use some work as well as some of the seats.  bwa is not brand new anymore, so it could definitely use a touch up.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

40MINSOFHELL

On April 30, 2007, the University of Arkansas announced the expansion of Bud Walton Arena in the form of addition of 12 luxury suites. The addition of these boxes will expand seating to 19,368.

Hogtropolis™

Yeah, but it is still one of the nicest in the SEC.  The Tenn arena I hear rivals it now along with Rupp arena as always.  I imagine if Pel keeps winning, we will seem some upgrades in the next few years though.

jrparrish

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 26, 2007, 09:22:39 pm
Yeah, but it is still one of the nicest in the SEC.  The Tenn arena I hear rivals it now along with Rupp arena as always.  I imagine if Pel keeps winning, we will seem some upgrades in the next few years though.

i think the winning part is key

The_Iceman

the red on the floor, especially in the paint, is alittle dull.

The lighting might could use some improvement.

The walkways could use some new boards, they are fading.

dmac4sainthood

November 27, 2007, 12:26:30 am #7 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:28:39 am by dmac4sainthood
Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 26, 2007, 09:11:35 pm
http://s159447050.onlinehome.us/utvols/other/vasf/arena/tba-page1.html

Tennessee just completed an outstanding renovation on Thompson-Boling Arena.
BWA was a much newer/better arena than T-B prior to the renovations, but BWA
is starting to show it's age a bit and is definitely not tops in the SEC anymore, for now.
I wonder if we'll see any major improvements soon?

Personally, I'd like to see an update of the concourses - I can't fricken' believe they still display
the same old faded posters they had up a decade ago.  Also, several seats around wear I sit
are torn - it's as if no one has done any real maintenance on the seating since the day it was installed.

I have been to every SEC basketball arena multiple times...here are my rankings based on how NICE they are...not environment.

1)South Carolina (designed with BWA in mind, they actually stated that...but obviously a decade newer...built NBA style (endzones)
2)Arkansas (BWA is awesome, it could use a few things, but it has been maintained very well, and is still a great traditional, octogon college basketball arena)
3)Florida (The ODome is not really a basketball arena, but a gym inside of a complex...cool though)
4)Georgia (Stegman is a nice arena, but not a great atmosphere...Georgia fans just don't care that much...facility is nice though)
5)Vanderbilt (An odd design, and an older look, just sort of unorthodox, but a very cool place, well maintained...lacks amenities)
6)Alabama (Used to be terrible, but after renovations, its pretty nice...still has an airplane hanger effect though)
7)Mississippi State (I don't care what anyone says, the Hump is a cool place to watch a game!  It lacks certain amenities, but isn't run down at all.)
8)Kentucky (The opposite of Georgia...great Atmosophere, but Kentucky basketball needs a much nicer facility...I know it would be like taking Duke out of Cameron, but we are judging the quality of the facility...not game atmosphere.)
9)Tennessee (While I know they have renovated it, or are in the process...the Thompson-Bolling I visited is just as obnoxious and rough as Rupp...only bigger...and it was intended that way.  If it is a messed up design, a renovation can't fix that)
10)LSU (Even after renovations, the PMAC is still rough...lacks amenities, has the pastel seats which are an eye sore, just not the nice of a place)
11)Auburn (The arena isn't bad, just old and poorly maintained...while they are building a brand new facility, the existing one would actually be fine if they replaced all the seats, added lights, a new scoreboard, and gave it an overall makeover)
12)Ole Miss (Tad Pad is just rough, poorly lit, old design which no one has anymore...just not a great place to watch a game)

alltimeqb

According to that photo, it looks like there may be some blind spots beside the boxes.

neahogfan180

I think the most important "renovation" needed for the basketball program, is to build a basketball practice facility.  Tennessee's new one is awesome looking and most big time schools are getting one.  It would be yet another great selling point for recruits as well.  Right now my understanding is that the weight room at BWA is subpar and the basketball team has to train at the football teams state of the art weight room some.

J Man

What would be wrong renovating Barnhill as a practice arena?

The_Iceman

Quote from: neahogfan180 on November 27, 2007, 06:33:03 am
I think the most important "renovation" needed for the basketball program, is to build a basketball practice facility.  Tennessee's new one is awesome looking and most big time schools are getting one.  It would be yet another great selling point for recruits as well.  Right now my understanding is that the weight room at BWA is subpar and the basketball team has to train at the football teams state of the art weight room some.

im trying to think where could they put it?

neahogfan180

blacksuit

Quote from: J Man on November 27, 2007, 07:32:20 am
What would be wrong renovating Barnhill as a practice arena?

As I understand it BWA is reserved for basketball, and it's our practice facility. Other schools have built multi-million dollar training facilities because they have to share their arenas with other functions, concerts, teams, etc. We don't share our arena.

hogfan98

Quote from: blacksuit on November 27, 2007, 12:24:57 pm
As I understand it BWA is reserved for basketball, and it's our practice facility. Other schools have built multi-million dollar training facilities because they have to share their arenas with other functions, concerts, teams, etc. We don't share our arena.

this is exactly correct.  other schools build practive facilities for all the times they can't pracitice in their actual arena.  we're lucky in that we don't have that problem. 

thahawg

neahogfan180

Your right that is the reasoning behind not having a practice facility.  It still doesn't erase the fact that the training facilities for the basketball program need upgraded.

40MINSOFHELL

i hope they build this new practice facility for basketball because all they seem to spend their money on is for football....and when is the last time the football team has ever done anything lol

highdefhog

The locker rooms sure could use some updating. I was in there about two months ago. (the Ladybacks are considering a new theater for their locker room and I went through both locker rooms). The guys is really dated and wouldn't impress me if I was an incoming stud.

Now the new theater we are installing in Coach Pelfrey's house is another discussion all together...

Wess Moore

A couple of weeks ago when Arkansas played at Tennessee, I went inside Thompson-Boling Arena.  The sports anchor from Knoxville stopped me before we walked onto the floor.  He said he wanted to walk ahead of me so he could see my face when I saw the place.  I thought to myself, "what does he think I'm going to do, a backflip?"  I've been to NBA arenas, Bud Walton, and other great facilities. 

I walked in, stopped, and said WOW!  That was the nicest arena I had been inside.  It is big time.  The renovation that added the suites makes it a much homier place.  Before it felt like a huge cavarn.  It ranks number one on my list of places to personnaly see.

40MINSOFHELL

MM-gohogs

i bet $3.5 million from the razorback foundation would've gone a long way in updating the concourses. but we're done with that.

i haven't been to BWA in quite a while but it would be nice to constantly put new $$$ into BWA to keep a fresh coat of paint on it and such
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

MM-gohogs

aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

The_Iceman

Quote from: thahawg on November 27, 2007, 07:26:12 pm
I think the students should be on the floor.

yeah, and get those old farts at the press tables moved over.