Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

As Michael Jordan once said, "I'm back"!

Started by Pigonometry, March 11, 2005, 07:20:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigonometry

I haven't post in a very long time – probably close to three years – and until about three weeks ago hadn't even checked this board in several months.  I've been to busy with my kids plus my dial-up connection was so slow it wasn't really worth the hassle.  But I recently got DSL and at the office today hSv talked me into coming back to weigh in on the current mess that is Arkansas basketball.  I guess he is sitting out there waiting to blast me........    ;)

For the benefit of HiM and others that I used to verbally spar with, I'll say this right up front -- I DON'T WANT NOLAN BACK AS HOG BASKETBALL COACH.  But I WILL still defend his coaching record except for his last season when he went nuts.  They look pretty darn good compared to the last two seasons.

First of all, if it really was his decision, I think Heath's decision to bypass the NIT will ultimately be his undoing.  It makes him look weak and cowardly and that he has no faith in his team or coaching ability.  Better to play and lose than to wimp out.

I do find some humor in this debacle --- that everyone is complaining about the SAME THINGS they complained about four and five years ago.  No rebounding, no coaching, the team has no heart, no hustle, the players are not improving, etc.  The only exception is that no one is griping that Heath can't recruit a big man.  From what I remember, all these problems were supposed to be resolved as soon as Nolan was gone and someone new took over and got his own players.

Taking a lesson from HiM, I'll toot my own horn a little bit.  Back from 1999 to 2001 when I was one of the few who defended Nolan's teams – I never defended his actions – I'd always get ripped when I'd say that while things weren't great and yes, we need a big man, that things could be a lot worse.  Well, now we see that things can be and ARE A LOT WORSE.  Right now, I'd love to beat a couple of Top 20 teams at home, finish 2nd in the SEC West and make the NCAA tourney like everyone griped about back then.  I have to give hSv credit, he admitted today at work that he was wrong back then and things are far worse now than then.

Heath will get another year but if things don't get better it will be much easier to get rid of him since he has none of Nolan's accomplishments to hang on to.  I wasn't against Heath's hiring but it has always worried me that his only year as a coach was with a senior-laden squad.  It was hard to tell how much of their success was because of him.  It wasn't popular here at the time but I wish we had given Mike Anderson more of a chance.  His UAB teams have done well – beat Kentucky last year, something the Hogs haven't done lately – and they are fun to watch.   I think that's the part I hate the most  -- that the games are not even fun to watch.  Nolan-coached teams were usually entertaining even if we lost but I struggle to make it through a game of watching us pass the ball around the top of the key and jack up bad shots on the way to 46 points.

Oh well, thank goodness it's almost baseball season.  I know my Cubs won't disappoint me ---- I expect them to lose anyway...... ;D
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Lanny

Just remember when I was on the anti Nowin campaign I wanted Self and never campaigned for Heath.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: hSv on March 11, 2005, 09:26:55 pm

Just remember when I was on the anti Nowin campaign I wanted Self and never campaigned for Heath.

As did I.

However, I did notice Stan during his run thinking he might be a good possibility - only because he was winning and the opposite of Nolan during interviews.