Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DTS takes swipe at Bo Mattingly

Started by Slacker, March 11, 2005, 05:50:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slacker

Rainwater took a swipe at Bo's "judgement" in asking Modica right after that tough loss last night if he was going to be here next year. I couldn't tell ya verbatim what he said, but the jist of it, he Called Bo out for it, and his comments seems to infer that Bo just wasn't to bright to pose that question at that point.

Rebutle Bo?

WindyCityHog

Bo at least acts like a member of the media.....Rainwater is a pom-pom waving paid cheerleader.  There was nothing wrong with that question. 

HogDodging

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 11, 2005, 05:53:45 pm
Bo at least acts like a member of the media.....Rainwater is a pom-pom waving paid cheerleader.  There was nothing wrong with that question. 

And Bo isn't a pom-pom waving cheerleader for Nutt?  He's the leader of that squad.  There's no objectivity in Bo when it comes to his "friend" (Irwin's word) Nutt.

Slacker

Bo at least acts like a member of the media.....Rainwater is a pom-pom waving paid cheerleader. There was nothing wrong with that question.

Oh, I whole heartedly agree. I'm glad Bo has the nuts to to ask the tough questions. Just curious as to what Bo's thoughts were on DTS calling him out personally, instead of saying something like: "An interviewer asked..." in lieu of Calling Bo out directly.

ReturnToDynasty?

Bo asked a tough question, a question that we all wanted answered.  Just because Randy is so much of a homer, he gets mad.  Good journalism Bo.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 11, 2005, 05:56:41 pm

And Bo isn't a pom-pom waving cheerleader for Nutt?  He's the leader of that squad.  There's no objectivity in Bo when it comes to his "friend" (Irwin's word) Nutt.

I'm sure Bo has his likes.....but there's no comparison to the robots that host DTS...seriously.  His paycheck doesn't rely on anyone on The Hill....apples and oranges.

hillbilly

I don't think there is anything wrong with Bo asking that question. He asked a question that he, as well as the rest of Arkansas wanted to know, and you can't blame him for that.

Hog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 11, 2005, 06:20:16 pm
My gosh, has Rainwater never watched sports on TV?

Roy Williams was asked if he was going to UNC less than five minutes after his Kansas team was beaten in the NCAAT. Mike Tice was asked if he would be back in Minnesota after the Vikings last game. Brett Favre was asked if he was going to retire while he was still on the field after the Packers final game of the season.

And in each of those instances, the questions were pointless.  There is way too much emotion involved to be able to answer that type of question after a loss.

hogstorm

all of those questions were asked by people who "WERE JUST DOING THEIR JOBS".  most of them probably were told to ask it, and those who werent told to ask it would have been asked by their boss why they didnt if they hadnt. Rushing from KARK did the same thing. 

Porquemada

IMHO, the media hasn't asked enough questions about the trainwreck that is Arkansas Razorback basketball.

Kid Duroc

I am a lot more curious about Brewer, why wasn't he asked? And why isn't anyone associated with the football program ever asked any tough questions?

Slacker

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on March 11, 2005, 07:40:05 pm
IMHO, the media hasn't asked enough questions about the trainwreck that is Arkansas Razorback basketball.

Pork, in listening to Barrett's entire show tonight. There's blood in the water. It's clearly evident Heath's not only lost his team, but the entire state.

The honeymoon is long since over with Mr. Heath, and next year looks bismal at best. My thoughts are, since it's appearant Heath is gone next year (Unless a miracle from the Almighty occurs) He's history. I believe we're going to see some penetrating questions like Bo posed last night.

A blind man could see, or should I say smell, we stink. And there's no foundation for improvement in sight.

Time to cut bait. 

Hog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 11, 2005, 07:53:12 pm
Quote from: Hog on March 11, 2005, 07:32:06 pm

Roy Williams was asked if he was going to UNC less than five minutes after his Kansas team was beaten in the NCAAT. Mike Tice was asked if he would be back in Minnesota after the Vikings last game. Brett Favre was asked if he was going to retire while he was still on the field after the Packers final game of the season.

And in each of those instances, the questions were pointless. There is way too much emotion involved to be able to answer that type of question after a loss.

Those questions weren't pointless. Heck any question other than those were pointless. Those were the questions that were in the mind of everybody watching those games. And whether Modica returns next year is a question that is on the mind of most Arkansas basketball fans. It had to be asked.

Ok, I will agree that the question had to be asked.  Pointless might have been a poor choice of words, but asking that question after a tough loss is not going to clear anything up.  If Modica is planning to transfer, or just quit the team, I seriously doubt that he has already reached that decision.  And if he has decided, I don't think he would admit it right after the game.  I doubt his future as Razorback was on his mind at that particular time.

Kid Duroc

The question to Modica WAS pointless and Modica's answer proves it. Anyone with any semblence of forethought would have known that he wasn't going to answer that question at that point. How can it not be pointless to ask a question you know you're not going to get an answer to.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: Kid Duroc on March 11, 2005, 09:28:03 pm
The question to Modica WAS pointless and Modica's answer proves it. Anyone with any semblence of forethought would have known that he wasn't going to answer that question at that point. How can it not be pointless to ask a question you know you're not going to get an answer to.

I don't feel it was a pointless question.  If it were just a rumor and had no truth to it he would have outright said he's not going anywhere.  He didn't.  We can assume that there is something to the situation.

Townes denied he's leaving.

OKhogfan1959

Yea Bo kind of blindsided a kid...Why not take that same approach to Houston Nutt?

Doug

Let's not forget that it's the Media's responsibility to ask questions, sometimes hard questions.

Let's ALSO not forget that people in the Media are just that... people.  They eat, breathe and darn the same way we do, hence they also have their favorites.  If Bo likes to call (and is a true friend to) HDN, he's got that perogative.  That's his business, not ours.  It could also give him a bit more of an advantage for inside scoops than someone like DTS.

I think people tend to read a little more in between the lines than they should.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

chewy chitlin

Beau is half an idiot.   If you listen to thier morning progam for 2 minutes you would know that.  The guy pimps himself ad nausem as a "reporter", which is mental masturbation. Irwin is good and needs a sidekick.   It's (the show)  hard to listen to.  Kinda like the Tony Snow show later in the morning its akin to a hackin" cough, bring back Glen Beck.   Beau, you may be a good guy, but maybe try the written word before you claim street cred.

HogDodging

Quote from: Douglas on March 11, 2005, 10:26:08 pm
Let's ALSO not forget that people in the Media are just that... people.  They eat, breathe and Shiite the same way we do, hence they also have their favorites.  If Bo likes to call (and is a true friend to) HDN, he's got that perogative.  That's his business, not ours.  It could also give him a bit more of an advantage for inside scoops than someone like DTS.

No way.  Once you become friends with someone, you lose all objectivity.  Rule number one of objective reporting is to not become friends with your subject.  When you cross that line, you should quit calling yourself a reporter.  You are nothing more than a publicist for that person.
The only kind of inside scoop Bo might obtain from Nutt is when Nutt is finally fired. 
I can hear it now. 
Nutt:  "Bo, that helmet was once special to me, and I really loved it.  But, it's obvious the helmet doesn't love me."
Bo:  "Coach, you are a special person and I hope you find that special job with precious fans who really love you."

mikeirwin

Who says you won't get an answer ? If Modica plans to come back why wouldn't he say, "Of course I'm coming back." Bo asked Darian Townes that question and that's what Townes said. Brewer was asked  last week and he said, "I'm coming back the next TWO years." The fact that Modica wouldn't answer tells me there's a chance he won't be back.
  As for Rainwater, he needs to do his job and let other reporters decide how to do theirs. Nobody appointed him the media sheriff.

Hogger

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 11, 2005, 11:09:58 pm

Who says you won't get an answer ? If Modica plans to come back why wouldn't he say, "Of course I'm coming back." Bo asked Darian Townes that question and that's what Townes said. Brewer was asked last week and he said, "I'm coming back the next TWO years." The fact that Modica wouldn't answer tells me there's a chance he won't be back.
As for Rainwater, he needs to do his job and let other reporters decide how to do theirs. Nobody appointed him the media sheriff.

Wow, Mike.  Nice rebuttal.  Rainwater is a stooge.  :-*

Matt Turner

Mike Irwin is my hero! And should be elected sheriff of all media....

mikeirwin

Quote from: chewy chitlin on March 11, 2005, 10:40:50 pm
Beau is half an idiot.
That could pretty much apply to most of the people I know including myself. It's the complete idiots I steer clear of.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Slacker on March 11, 2005, 05:50:53 pm
Rainwater took a swipe at Bo's "judgement" in asking Modica right after that tough loss last night if he was going to be here next year. I couldn't tell ya verbatim what he said, but the jist of it, he Called Bo out for it, and his comments seems to infer that Bo just wasn't to bright to pose that question at that point.
  The problem with busting out another reporter on your own airwaves is credibility. How are we supposed to know that you're not just trying to make yourself look good by criticizing some other guy who's trying to do the same job ? I notice that the cable boys were all ripping Rather. Okay fine. But my next question is do they ever rip any of their own guys ?
I'd have more respect for Rainwater if he'd told Bo how he felt privately. When Wally got mad at Bo the other day, that's what he did. He didn't put it in the paper.
I'm probably overly sensitive to this kind of thing.
When Katie Felts was busting her butt to stay on top of Frank's flirtation with Bill Self prior to Heath being hired a certain local TV guy ripped into our coverage of the story. Then he said the following, "When the University wants us to know who they are going to hire they will tell us and then we will know."
If that was his philosophy there was no need for his job. All TV reports on the Razorbacks could simply originate from Kevin Trainor.

Matt Turner

Irwin I'm glad to see you're up so late. Bo lectured me earlier tonight on changing my sleeping pattern to become a more productive citizen...

mikeirwin

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 01:30:43 am
Irwin I'm glad to see you're up so late. Bo lectured me earlier tonight on changing my sleeping pattern to become a more productive citizen...
Bo can't lecture me and he knows it.
However you could always lecture Mitch. Oops, not anymore.
Scott maybe ?

Matt Turner

Ha Ha! Bo didn't really lecture me. He just wants me to be normal but I'm not sure that's possible.....

mikeirwin

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 01:34:23 am
Ha Ha! Bo didn't really lecture me. He just wants me to be normal but I'm not sure that's possible.....
Anybody's who's been a scout team QB can never be normal.
Too many hard knocks to the head.
Hey, did you ever simulate the option ?

Matt Turner

Simulate? I ran the triple option every freaking play at Ouachita Baptist under Ken Wheaton. I simulated it a few times at Southern Miss but option was all we ran at Ouachita. I can read a 3 technique like nobody's business...Only problem is I ran a 4.7.......And that's a problem when I carry the ball almost every play and only throw it 4 times a game.

mikeirwin

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 01:43:49 am
Simulate? I ran the triple option every freaking play at Ouachita Baptist under Ken Wheaton. I simulated it a few times at Southern Miss but option was all we ran at Ouachita. I can read a 3 technique like nobody's business...Only problem is I ran a 4.7.......And that's a problem when I carry the ball almost every play and only throw it 4 times a game.
The key is to cut upfield AGAINST the flow. When Texas first started running the option whenever the QB scored on a play of over 40 yards he'd cross the goal line on the opposite hash marks from where he started. James Street, Eddie Phillips, they were good at that. But you knew that.

CycloneHog

Irwin's up late working on a plan to get those NASCAR highlights into his Sunday show.  Someone is demanding NASCAR!

Matt Turner

My option days start with Quinn Grovey....I personally hate the offense but had to run it. Glad my playing days are over. Like talking about football more than playing. I never had the chance to play for a winning team. Got beat 57-0 one time by NE Oklahoma and decided to hang em up.....

mikeirwin

Quote from: CycloneHog on March 12, 2005, 01:56:33 am
Irwin's up late working on a plan to get those NASCAR highlights into his Sunday show. Someone is demanding NASCAR!
Can't do it on the 5pm show. You can never predict how long the race will last. If the telecast is not over, no highlights are allowed. NASCAR highlights at 10pm only.

CycloneHog

Show NASCAR in news.  Some say it can be done.

Matt Turner

Obviously you're not a nascar fan....

mikeirwin

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 02:00:23 am
My option days start with Quinn Grovey....I personally hate the offense but had to run it. Glad my playing days are over. Like talking about football more than playing. I was never had the chance to play for a winning team. Got beat 57-0 one time by NE Oklahoma and decided to hang em up.....
Remind me to tell you about the modified T offense I once played against in high school. It was a forerunner of the triple option. The team that ran it beat us 36-8 and we were the only team to score on them and the only team that held them under 70 points. It was a hellacious game. I could not get out of bed the next day. They scored so many times I can still hum their fight song 40 years later.

CycloneHog

What gave it away?  Never watched a NASCAR race in my life.

Matt Turner

Best story I've heard you tell about your high school career was when you caught the ball at the one yard line and you stopped to celebrate!!

mikeirwin

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 02:04:48 am
Obviously you're not a nascar fan....
Not true. As you know on the weekend there is so much stuff happening no way can you watch a race. So you have all this video and you go to nascar.com and look at the lap by lap rundown. You check out all the big pile ups, look for things like a pit crew guy getting run over, and show the winner blowing by the guy who could have won. If there's a fight afterward great.
There's a lot of technical stuff that is still over my head.

Matt Turner

No, I was saying CycloneHog was not a nascar fan. He said it should be in news. Believe me Mike, I know how difficult it is to write a nascar script when you're worrying about track, baseball, basketball. I feel your pain brother!

mikeirwin

March 12, 2005, 02:24:04 am #40 Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:25:45 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 02:06:58 am
Best story I've heard you tell about your high school career was when you caught the ball at the one yard line and you stopped to celebrate!!
JV game. Our regular tight end got hurt. His backup had the drizzles. The dim weed JV coach sent me in. I'd never played the position in my life. We were on the opponent's one yard line. The QB told me to take one step off the line of scrimmage, turn around and he'd throw it. I did. He did. I caught it. I also thought I was over the goal line so I held up the ball. The opposing CB took it out of my hands and took off.
After that day the JV coach started calling me Uno. Finally I asked him, "What is this 'Uno' stuff about ?"
"You're in the stat book kiddo," he said. "One catch, for one yard and one fumble."

Matt Turner

You'll have people callin you Uno on the board now!

Lando Calrissian

March 12, 2005, 02:57:18 am #42 Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:58:51 am by Lando Calrissian
In junior high, I played ball with a guy who our coach nicknamed ITB.  Instant Turnover Baby!

Not a good nickname to have.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Slacker

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 12, 2005, 02:24:04 am
Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 02:06:58 am
JV game. Our regular tight end got hurt. His backup had the drizzles. The dim weed JV coach sent me in. I'd never played the position in my life. We were on the opponent's one yard line. The QB told me to take one step off the line of scrimmage, turn around and he'd throw it. I did. He did. I caught it. I also thought I was over the goal line so I held up the ball. The opposing CB took it out of my hands and took off.
After that day the JV coach started calling me Uno. Finally I asked him, "What is this 'Uno' stuff about ?"
"You're in the stat book kiddo," he said. "One catch, for one yard and one fumble."

Classic!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 11, 2005, 07:53:12 pm
Quote from: Hog on March 11, 2005, 07:32:06 pm

And in each of those instances, the questions were pointless. There is way too much emotion involved to be able to answer that type of question after a loss.

The wrong question was asked.  Not are you coming back, but why do you put out so little effort on defense end of the floor and rebounding? Why is your attitude if I get my 20 points I'm happy win or lose?  ::)

Those questions weren't pointless. Heck any question other than those were pointless. Those were the questions that were in the mind of everybody watching those games. And whether Modica returns next year is a question that is on the mind of most Arkansas basketball fans. It had to be asked.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: MattTurner on March 12, 2005, 01:43:49 am

I'm just here to see if any of you need water.

outlawhogeywells

i guess the only problem I have with it is would he have asked the tough question to a football player since Bo and Nutt are "buddies".  I have heard Bo talk on his morning show about how this BB team gave up.  But I seem to remember how this FB team gave up many a times.  Last year with Florida here, Last year at home against Auburn, this year at SC.  The first two by Senior dominated teams and at home.

Fletch

I like it when reporters duke it out with each other. Keep it up. It's good entertainment. ;D
I feel like $100

Buck Ocean

QuoteHowever you could always lecture Mitch. Oops, not anymore.

Whoa.  Wait a minute now....is Mitch gone? Or has he powered up to management where you cant boss him around any more? 

As for Rainwater, hes a bonified moron.  Hes got alot of hatred for you if you live in Fayetteville, cover the hogs, and dont call his show once a day to let call him an idiot.  Hes mad because Modica is from Smackover, down the road from Waldo.  If it were Rainwater in Bos position, he would have waited until the sonic blast report to talk about it.  Or perhaps he would remain clueless on the air until his first contact with Scott Cain. 

Crunk sports stories?  Dont have but few.  But if ESPN ever thinks about making a real tv series, they should consider Ninety-Three Northside: The Rise and Fall of Kiniko Logan and Fred Perry

A press conference has been scheduled for next week to appoint the new Sheriff of the Media
Think like a Jedi

mikeirwin

Quote from: Buck Ocean on March 13, 2005, 03:42:48 pm

Whoa.  Wait a minute now....is Mitch gone?
Mitch is now the enemy. He has officially become part of the ASU media.