Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath isn't at fault for this loss.

Started by Illinihog, March 11, 2005, 05:30:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinihog

I know I'm gonna get lit up for this one but oh well.  I don't understand how some of you can pin this loss on Coach Heath.  Coaches get way to much credit when they win and way to much credit when they lose.  When looking at the stats Points in the Paint Arkansas 34 - Tennesse 28, points of Turnovers tied at 13, 2nd Chance points 15-7 Tennesse (Heath can't box out for his players).  The Hogs shot 36% in the first half 38 % for the game......if Tennesse doesn't shoot 46% in the first half when McFagdon was on fire the hogs win the game.  Tennesse shot 36 % in the second half.   Crump and McFagdon had 16 and 24 each.  That was it for the Tennesse offense only one other player had more than 8 points.  If it isn't for nearly the 10 MINUTE Draught in the first half the Hogs win this.  Honestly if a few shots fall in that draught the Halftime score is different.

I think this was one of his better in game coaching.  Whenever a player wasn't giving maximum effort or ill-advised decisions he yanked their ass.  When it comes down to it the Hogs didn't execute for a long period of time, and when things like that happen human nature takes over and you say here we go again.  Heath tried to pull the right strings in this game you could see him on the sideline trying to get anything to work.

I'm probably gonna get blasted or something about looking through the red glasses, but I'm just being realistic.  Half the team deserves post-season and two guys Modica and Mike Jones' I'd prefer to say good riddance.

Razorod

Don't know if I agree or not, I do think Heath has to bear part of the blame, maybe not all of it.

He did inherit a mess. He was inadequately prepared to be the head guy of said mess. We are paying for it.

What should be done? Bottom line, and this is tough for me to say, Heath should get one more year. A fourth year either allows Heath to turn the corner or it shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he isn't the man for the job. I have my opinion, but I'm open to Heath proving me wrong. Broyles will need to have one eye on Heath next year and the other eye scouring the countryside trying to figure out who "the right coach" is--just in case.

Now, I'm still half-way hoping that Heath is fed up with the situation here and checks into the opening at his dear ol' alma mater, Eastern Michigan. It would also help if Nolan were to land a job somewhere and at least knock out 200-300,000 off of the annual salary we're paying him now. Then, we could be more aggressive financially with who we won't to go and get. But really, if we have to pay off Heath and Nolan at the full 500,000 grand, I don't think we'd get the guy we really want anyway. Plus, we're Arkansas, and we'd have to deal with the stigma of firing a second African-American coach in three years--not fair, just the way it might be.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

V B Porkers

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Illinihog on March 11, 2005, 05:30:09 am
I think this was one of his better in game coaching.

This is my favorite one.  You should write for Larry the Cable Guy.  I literally had to pick myself up off the floor.
[CENSORED]!

gatecrasher

WTH????  Listen, people...when you go 16 MINUTES without a basket (combined 21-0 run), when it appears that both the coach and team quits (sure looked that way to me), and when a team spends eternity getting creamed by zone defense (again), and you say that Heath isn't at fault for this loss??  16 minutes??  That's almost a whole half of basketball!!!  I know Boys Club teams that can score more than the Hogs did last night!  Basic basketball....PUT THE BALL IN THE DAMN HOLE!!!!!!  How is it that we have had so much trouble against zone defenses???  How many times did I see Townes under the basket with a clear path to the hole, waiting for the dish, and the ball go elsewhere?  Two or three times at least!!  This is the worst I've ever seen this team play....EVER!  In the 20+ years I've been a Hog hoops fan, last night was the most embarassing to me.  Absolutely pathetic, especially in a postseason tournament!! >:( :( :o :'(

Fletch

Gatecrasherfan- I have been a fan for over 20 years also. I am not picking on you but I don't understand how it can look like the coach quit. When I look at Stan I see a guy that wants to win so bad it hurts, and I think he hurts for his players. You can practice how to bust a zone all you want but the players have to be able to execute in the game. I though they moved the ball better and they got a lot of good open shots-many from under the basket- but they couldn't finish. I think that comes from experience(experience from one year to the next, not one game to the next) I am not saying Heath has done everything right or is not partially to blame, but I think the team has been in postion many times this year to win but fail to execute when it counts. I believe a lot of this can be ironed out in the offseason.
I feel like $100

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HogInMemphis

The good news is that the Hogs get one more game. They need this for the experience and who knows, maybe they can regroup and win the NIT! Hahahahahahaa.

Fletch

I will be in my seat cheering for them as always.
I feel like $100

Amityvillehogger

Maybe you can stay in memphis, and learn how to cheer for the tigers....

And quit faking a hog fan...(hog in memphis)
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 11, 2005, 09:36:12 am

Where is the love? I'm a grad of U of A. Born and raised in LR. Go easy, big hoss. I love the Hogs. This is making me cry inside - I'm just trying to show a brave front.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 11, 2005, 09:38:28 am

Where is the love? I'm a grad of U of A. Born and raised in LR. Go easy, big hoss. I love the Hogs. This is making me cry inside - I'm just trying to show a brave front.

If your a grad of uofa, and born and raised in LR, why are you always downing the hogs.  This is the hardest time in bball history to my knowledge, and all you do is talk about how bad they suck or how bad they lost, or some stupid bet you won.  A real hog fan would not talk about how bad they suck constantly, over and over show a little pride....or moreless backbone..
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Call Mr. Sow

The way I see it, this team's woes are absolutely the coach's problem.  I don't think we have enough insight into the program to really get to the bottom of this team's woes, but I think we can narrow it down to one or more of the following:

• a basic lack of understanding of fundamental basketball on the coach's part
  • a failure to recruit talented players (I don't believe this)
  • inability to coach the team on game day (play calling, lineup decisions)
  • an inability to get his team to play with intensity
  • failure to address chemistry issues or settle on a linuep

I have no idea which or what combination of the above is the problem, but to hold the coach blameless for this loss is ridiculous.  One thing is certain.  This team does not enjoy playing basketball for Stan Heath and doesn't appear to respond to his coaching.

There's a radio commercial (I think for a weight-loss product) where somebody says that trying the same thing over and over again but expecting different results is the definition of insanity. 

We return the same basic team next year.

You do the math.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 11, 2005, 09:41:42 am
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 11, 2005, 09:38:28 am

If your a grad of uofa, and born and raised in LR, why are you always downing the hogs.  This is the hardest time in bball history to my knowledge, and all you do is talk about how bad they suck or how bad they lost, or some stupid bet you won.  A real hog fan would not talk about how bad they suck constantly, over and over show a little pride....or moreless backbone..

No winning bet is a stupid one, come on! Even you should know that!  And I've been a Hog fan longer than you've been alive. I know what it's like to be good, really good, going back to the first days of Eddie Sutton. This era is painful to say the least. But it too will pass......just like a kidney stone.

I say what I do about the Hogs to ease the pain from disappointment. And the Hogs deserve the criticism. The current staff are idiots. They coach like idiots. Their players play like idiots. And when you make over $500,000 to be the head coach at a program like Arkansas', you should get better results than we have gotten the past couple of years. We could hire someone in there at $75,000 per year and get what we got this year. This is borderline insanity - money doesn't buy success in coaching. Just because you pay a lot of money to someone, anyone, doesn't mean the expected results will follow. The coach has to be legitimately good and smart and willing to work hard. Got to have all of that. Heath doesn't.

If you dress your dog up like a cat, is it a cat? We're trying to make Heath a million dollar coach by simply paying him a million dollars. He had one good year as a Div. 1 head coach. That's not enough of a track record to judge a coach by. Heath has too much to learn to be the head coach at a program like the Hogs'. It's going to be a very long time before the Hogs can be back to what they were with Heath as HC. 7 to 10 yrs from now, maybe Heath will have it figured out.

After 7 years, Nutt still doesn't have it figured out and like Heath, he had only 1 year as a Div. 1 football head coach. Inexperience will get you every time. You shouldn't take a job you aren't qualified for and the U of A shouldn't have offered a job to an inexperienced coach and expected anything more than what they've gotten in both sports.

Amityvillehogger

didnt know a hog fan for longer than me being born downs the hogs whenever you have a chance....new breed i guess  :-\
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 11, 2005, 10:58:12 am
didnt know a hog fan for longer than me being born downs the hogs whenever you have a chance....new breed i guess  :-\

When you're young....and inexperienced....you learn new things all the time. You just learned something.

heffy22

These guys just have no clue how to attack any zone.  Tenn. zone was horrible last night.  The short corner and high post were open all night.  I blame this on one of two things.  Either Heath recruited players that are dumber than dirt, or he just can't see the game during the game (can't make adjustments).  All we had to do last night was either get a good overload to the ball side, or step the low post out to the short corner, and have the high post flash to the low.  This opens up a lot of inside out play.

WilsonHog

It may not be his fault, but it is most definitely his responsibility.

gatecrasher

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 11, 2005, 11:46:44 am
It may not be his fault, but it is most definitely his responsibility.
His fault AND his responsibility!! 

Illinihog

I didn't see Heath quit.  I saw him yelling at players and clapping encouragement.  I also saw him working the officials throughout the nite and also up on the sidelines trying to get his team into a pressure defense, I hardly call that quiting.  Biggus I heard this wild rumor you are Dana Caldwell from the Morning Snooze.  If you are I expected a better knowledge, but either way Biggus you still proved you are an idoit.

Biggus Piggus

Get this guys, Illini says I am an

IDOIT!
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Dana used to e-mail Lanny trying to get Hogville to tone down my criticisms of him.  Yup, I'm schizo.

Man, you have to find a better way to defend your thoughts than to call other people idoits.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

his program, his players, his assistant coaches, HIS FAULT
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfan212

Okay how many of you Heath haters have been to a Razorback practice this year or to a Razorback practice since Heath has been here?  He don't just sit there on his ass and watch the players run up and down the court.  Now I agree maybe he needs to be a little tougher on the players, but there is only so much you can do.  Players can make coaches look good or they can make a coach look bad.  Modica is still a Nolan hold over and doesn't like Brewer, Famutimi, and from what I'm hearing he can't stand Jefferson either.  As I have said before if SH doesn't get a handle on the problems in the locker room, then this whole thing will get completely out of control and he will be gone for sure.  And in my opinion if a player doesn't want to be a part of SH's program then put him on the road.(Modica)

Biggus Piggus

He either did something wrong assembling the players, or coaching the players.  One or the other.  Or both.  Neither is the answer that has been ruled out.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

i have been to practices and games.nobody said he didn't work hard.  i just don't think he works very smart.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Flatfoot

I am tired of all this ** basketball.  Lets cut bait and try another.  If the money men want Heath gone they will pony up the dough to fire Heath's ass.  Lets hope they are all in a giving mood.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: hogfan212 on March 11, 2005, 02:02:32 pm
Okay how many of you Heath haters have been to a Razorback practice this year or to a Razorback practice since Heath has been here? He don't just sit there on his ass and watch the players run up and down the court. Now I agree maybe he needs to be a little tougher on the players, but there is only so much you can do. Players can make coaches look good or they can make a coach look bad. Modica is still a Nolan hold over and doesn't like Brewer, Famutimi, and from what I'm hearing he can't stand Jefferson either. As I have said before if SH doesn't get a handle on the problems in the locker room, then this whole thing will get completely out of control and he will be gone for sure. And in my opinion if a player doesn't want to be a part of SH's program then put him on the road.(Modica)

I could literally hire a bum off the street for a six pack of Old Mil to come and yell at the team and make them run up and down the court.  Doesn't mean they'll learn anything about basketball or win any games. 

If this is truly a chemistry problem, Heath should've addressed it before the season exploded in his hands.  That smells of a lack of experience to me.

This program is too good to be 96th in the current RPI.  We've got the tradition, facilities, money, and fan support to do better.  And 3 years is PLENTY of time to have at least gotten respectable.  96th is not respectable.  Or ACCEPTABLE.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 11, 2005, 02:44:23 pm
I am tired of all this ** basketball.  Lets cut bait and try another.  If the money men want Heath gone they will pony up the dough to fire Heath's ass.  Lets hope they are all in a giving mood.

How does one cutting some bait get a new coach? The cliche "fish or cut bait", which is what you are trying to use, is not exactly applicable here.

tophawg19

how do you go about getting that 6 pack . i may not can coach but here that doesn't seem to be a problem .by the way i will coach for 250000 we'll still lose but at least save money .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins