Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas football schedule...2006 and beyond

Started by gatecrasher, March 09, 2005, 04:13:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gatecrasher

Can anyone tell me anything about upcoming non-conference opponents in the future?  Also, how often does the permanent opponent from the East Division (right now it's South Carolina) change up? 

Swino

I've been wondering about the Non-Con schedule myself.  The permanent opponent from the east won't change.  We are stuck with SC.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Swino on March 09, 2005, 04:17:22 pm
I've been wondering about the Non-Con schedule myself. The permanent opponent from the east won't change. We are stuck with SC.
well when will Tennessee rotate back onto the schedule?  We were starting to form a hellacious rivalry with them and then all of a sudden, they were no longer our permanent opponent from the East.

Amityvillehogger

Tenn rotated out and florida rotated in, not sure when they will rotate back in
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

sirpigalot

Non-conference, you have USC for 05 and 06.  We will play TCU a home and home series on 07 and 08.

gatecrasher

Quote from: sirpigalot on March 09, 2005, 05:06:00 pm
Non-conference, you have USC for 05 and 06. We will play TCU a home and home series on 07 and 08.
I heard something awhile back about Penn St.  Anyone heard anything on them?  And TCU is a dangerous team!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 09, 2005, 04:19:35 pm
Quote from: Swino on March 09, 2005, 04:17:22 pm
I've been wondering about the Non-Con schedule myself. The permanent opponent from the east won't change. We are stuck with SC.
well when will Tennessee rotate back onto the schedule? We were starting to form a hellacious rivalry with them and then all of a sudden, they were no longer our permanent opponent from the East.
Tennessee is back on the schedule for 2006.  We have Southern Cal, Alabama, Tennesse, MIssissippi, and LSU at home that year.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawkeyefan17

I heard somewhere that Texas A&M was coming on the schedule in the next few years? I could be wrong.

Hogghead

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 09, 2005, 05:16:35 pm
I suggest we let Heath make out the schdule, we will be assured of at least four wins a year if that happens. ;D

Mightas well ! HDN is filling it up SMS and others Louisiana Tire & Wheel schools. Does Drake still play football they need to be on the Hog schedule along with Abilene Christen.

Kilgor

Quote from: Hogghead on March 10, 2005, 10:52:37 am
I suggest we let Heath make out the schedule, we will be assured of at least four wins a year if that happens. ;D

Mightas well ! HDN is filling it up SMS and others Louisiana Tire & Wheel schools. Does Drake still play football they need to be on the Hog schedule along with Abilene Christen.

What part of @Texas (2003), Texas (2004), @Southern Cal. (2005), Southern Cal. (2006), @TCU (2007), TCU (2008) do you not understand?

Everybody has at least two cupcakes.  We are having very respectable nonconference schedules in football.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

hawkeyefan17

Drake has a very good football program at the non-scholarship Division 1-AA level.

Drake de-emphasized athletics back in the 1970's and raised its academic standards. It is tough to get into Drake.

Didn't Arkansas play Drake in basketball sometime in the mid to late 1990's?

SirCHog

Write this down, its perpetual:

2002/2007  at Tennessee/Kentucky home
2003/2008  at Kentucky/Florida home
2004/2009  at Florida/Georgia home
2005/2010  at Georgia/Vanderbilt home
2006/2011  at Vanderbilt/Tennessee at home
2007/2012  at Tennessee  and so on....

South Carolina is our permanent East Rival

HOGLEG

I don't understand why they would want to play TCU. That seems to be a no-win situation. I mean, if you win people are going to say "big deal... they beat TCU". If we lose, people will say we got beat by a weak BIG-12 team. Why not a team with at least a little name recognition. If it was my choice I would pick televsion's beloved Notre Dame. IMO I don't think they are any better than TCU. Nothing would make me happier than waffle-stomping ND on national TV.

Porquemada

Quote from: HOGLEG on March 10, 2005, 04:57:59 pm
I don't understand why they would want to play TCU. That seems to be a no-win situation. I mean, if you win people are going to say "big deal... they beat TCU". If we lose, people will say we got beat by a weak BIG-12 team. Why not a team with at least a little name recognition. If it was my choice I would pick televsion's beloved Notre Dame. IMO I don't think they are any better than TCU. Nothing would make me happier than waffle-stomping ND on national TV.
I thought TCU was in CUSA?

hawkeyefan17

TCU has been in Conference USA for a while and begins play in the Moutain West Conference this season. They have never been a Big 12 school.

HOGLEG

My bad. I just assumed they played in the BIG-12 after the breakup of the old SWC since they are a texass school. Does this further support my previous post?  ;D  Who the frick cares about TCU?  :-\

Big Papa Satan

Now, TCU should've went in the Big 12 when Tech, the Aggots, and TU went in.

But Ann Richards pulled rank and got her alma mater, Baylor, in.

Kilgor

I hear ya on the no win situation thing.  I believe the thinking is to improve recruiting in Texas by playing in the state.

hawkeyefan17

Are you guys afraid of smaller teams or what? You are Arkansas, you should beat the mid-major football schools. I hear a lot of talk about no-win situations for Arkansas "oh if we play them it would give them credibility or "if you win no one cares and if you loose everyone will freak out." Those two statements may be true but Arkansas is a big boy they should go out and kick the crap out of smaller schools.

Is everyone afraid? All big schools have the cupcakes on their schedule, you shouldn't be afraid of them because if you loose to them there is something seriously wrong.

Go play TCU and kill them.

hawkeyefan17

HOGLEG, I understood you thinking on TCU's conference afilliation, I felt like a jerk when I posted my comment, sorry.

HOGLEG

HAWK, no offense taken.
It's not that I'm afraid of TCU or anything like that. I am sure we will beat the tar out of 'em. It's just that after playing Texass and USC for nonconference games, it's kind of a let down switching to TCU. I would just rather play a team with more cred... As for the recruiting advantages of playing a TX team, why not A&M? They've been landing some big-time recruits the past couple of years. Or how about Oklahoma? It would be nice to shut all those okies up. Nothing could be more fun than seeing all the photoshop pics of Stoops soured facial expression if we beat the Spooners! And again would help in recruiting since we both rely heavily on the state of TX. I guess I'm saying anyone with a "sexy" name. TCU to me is no different than NTexass, Baylor, or any other panzy-arse team.

hawkeyefan17

HOGLEG, good post. I had not thought about the let down there would be by going from Texas to Southern California to TCU, very good point.

What would you think of scheduling a Penn State, Northwestern, Rutgers, Wisconsin?

I don't know how much Arkansas takes into account recruiting when they schedule their non-conference games but I think it would be a great idea to schedule one of the teams I mentioned above to open up different recruiting areas for Arkansas.

Penn State- Northeast
Northwestern- Chicago area (including Milwaukee and Northern Indiana)
Rutgers- Lots of teams are recruiting New Jersey now days (most of the Big 10 Southern California and other schools)
Wisconsin- Northern recruiting (go get you some corn and cheese fed offensive linemen (Miami got the top offensive lineman out of Iowa, (Matt Pipho) Iowa did not offer him)

Although I think an Iowa vs. Arkansas match-up in the future makes a lot of sense, neither school would do it so how about Iowa State?

The Southern California game will almost certainly help Arkansas in recruiting. If it ends up that it does not then it is a wasted opportunity.

Even if you were to loose to any of these teams I mentioned it still helps to play them.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 09, 2005, 04:13:41 pm
Also, how often does the permanent opponent from the East Division (right now it's South Carolina) change up?

Pronunciation: -n&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin permanent-, permanens, present participle of permanEre to endure, from per- throughout + manEre to remain -- more at PER-, MANSION
: continuing or enduring without fundamental or marked change : STABLE

Hogghead

Quote from: HOGLEG on March 10, 2005, 04:57:59 pm

Might as well play ARKANSAS STATE! TCU & ARKANSAS ST. is about the same thing.

Hogghead

Quote from: Kilgor on March 10, 2005, 11:09:13 am
I suggest we let Heath make out the schedule, we will be assured of at least four wins a year if that happens. ;D

What part of @Texas (2003), Texas (2004), @Southern Cal. (2005), Southern Cal. (2006), @TCU (2007), TCU (2008) do you not understand?

Everybody has at least two cupcakes. We are having very respectable nonconference schedules in football.

You're right. But were not in good shape to beat the cupcakes anymore.

gatecrasher

March 11, 2005, 11:48:48 am #25 Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 03:39:51 pm by gatecrasherfan
Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 10, 2005, 09:05:04 pm
Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 09, 2005, 04:13:41 pm
Also, how often does the permanent opponent from the East Division (right now it's South Carolina) change up?

Pronunciation: -n&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin permanent-, permanens, present participle of permanEre to endure, from per- throughout + manEre to remain -- more at PER-, MANSION
: continuing or enduring without fundamental or marked change : STABLE

all the smarta$$es on this forum...I'll bet you're drunk, huh?  Makes u "smarter"  :D

Kilgor

Quote from: Hogghead on March 11, 2005, 11:39:59 am
Quote from: Kilgor on March 10, 2005, 11:09:13 am

Everybody has at least two cupcakes. We are having very respectable nonconference schedules in football.

You're right. But were not in good shape to beat the cupcakes anymore.

What are you talking about? ???