Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HUNH

Started by TulsaHogFan, February 04, 2007, 09:00:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHogFan

A team using it when it wants to, trusting its all star QB, just won the superbowl.

How bout those apples.

The HogDog

So what you're saying is it can work... hmmm...  But Frank said his experts said it just wouldn't work in the SEC - didn't Florida win the championship?  and now the Colts win with it...  Yeah - he's right - it won't work.  Thanks.

g.lynn

Oh yeah?  Experts say it won't work in the SEC.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

tobs54

It will never work in the SEC............from the experts

GrumpyHog

Hey Frank!!  Florida the NCAA National Champion and the Colts NFL Champions run an offense your experts say won't work. Who was your expert? I forgot, you're the expert.

MurrayStMafioso

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 09:00:50 pm
A team using it when it wants to, trusting its all star QB, just won the superbowl.

How bout those apples.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work.  I actually would have liked to see it.  But this also isn't Manning's first year in the pros (i.e. new level).  FWIW.
"Give me one plausible scenario that allows the Hogs to play for the NC after getting our arses handed to us by USC on primetime national television.  You can't, because in order to believe Arkansas will play in the NC game requires a suspension of disbelief.  No team that loses to ANYONE by 36 points will EVER win a NC.  Anyone who believes differently is simply lying to themselves." Hong Kong Sooey

SteelShot

Frank has been in bed since 6 pm.   :) Nutt is trying to get that commitment from a diamond in the rough 2 star receiver that we think is much better than DWill, better blocker. ::)

So I think that our screams are not going to be heard.   :puke:
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

HoopS

February 04, 2007, 09:08:51 pm #7 Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:03:24 am by HoopSlap
You know what's funny?   His experts saw the HUNH with Mitch all of a handful of plays, scored in a flash and declared that it wouldn't work.  Yet, those same experts apparently endorce HDNs crap that has been proven for years not to be good enough. 

But hey, experts said flying was impossible too.   If those experts were like our experts and I was one of the Wright brothers, I would have flown over that experts house and sprayed pesticides all over it.  "Boll Weevils".

AstroHawg

"HURRY UP NO HOUSTON"

UnionChristian#3

February 04, 2007, 09:10:39 pm #9 Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:13:20 pm by UnionChristian#3
HAHAHA, wait are you comparing Mitch Mustain to Peyton Manning....thats funny. wow, you guys really have crowned him our savior. folks, he had one good game...that was vandy. auburn he was efficient, but every other game, especially the cupcakes, he stuggled to make easier passes. folks, the guy isnt as good as we made him. plus, the colts dont run a HUNH, its just a No Huddle.

the guy had the starting job locked up next year if he would have stayed. but he decided to leave the things he "didnt like". Im sorry, but this guy doesnt have the right attitude, if he doesnt want to be here, let him leave. im not a nutt fan, i wish we could upgrade ... but im glad gus moved on to where he can run his offense, and i think mustain blew his chance here. in a year, mcfadden would be gone and the offense would be his... as a junior.
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

brodie_hawg

i think the HUNH would work but one needs to point out that the colts won this game by its dominating run offense.

idochog

Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 04, 2007, 09:12:02 pm
i think the HUNH would work but one needs to point out that the colts won this game by its dominating run offense.

The point is that HUNH and the spread opens up the field to allow the run to work.
I love Jesus!

brodie_hawg

i will agree that an offense is most effeicent when you are effective at BOTH.  I am not for or against the HUNH.  like a previous poster said, the colts run a no huddle offense.   many teams run a no huddle offense.  its been around forever.  many teams run a spread offense, it too has been around for a while.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:10:39 pm
HAHAHA, wait are you comparing Mitch Mustain to Peyton Manning....thats funny. wow, you guys really have crowned him our savior. folks, he had one good game...that was vandy. auburn he was efficient, but every other game, especially the cupcakes, he stuggled to make easier passes. folks, the guy isnt as good as we made him. plus, the colts dont run a HUNH, its just a No Huddle.

the guy had the starting job locked up next year if he would have stayed. but he decided to leave the things he "didnt like". Im sorry, but this guy doesnt have the right attitude, if he doesnt want to be here, let him leave. im not a nutt fan, i wish we could upgrade ... but im glad gus moved on to where he can run his offense, and i think mustain blew his chance here. in a year, mcfadden would be gone and the offense would be his... as a junior.

Wow.  I think you jumped the gun a little bit, if you were talking to me.

I NEVER compared Mitch to Peyton.

I simply said, a team running the HUNH who trusted their QB to make calls, won the Super bowl.

Where in the hell in that statement does that say, Gee i think Peyton and Mitch are just alike?  Where does it say that i think Mitch could win a superbowl?

If you want to rip on me, get it right. 

Our team has never had faith in a QB whether it was Dick, RJ, Mitch, or any of the 12 QB's we played Matt Jones freshman season.

Get a clue.

idochog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 09:17:48 pm
Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:10:39 pm

Wow.  I think you jumped the gun a little bit, if you were talking to me.

I NEVER compared Mitch to Peyton.

I simply said, a team running the HUNH who trusted their QB to make calls, won the Super bowl.

Where in the hell in that statement does that say, Gee i think Peyton and Mitch are just alike?  Where does it say that i think Mitch could win a superbowl?

If you want to rip on me, get it right. 

Our team has never had faith in a QB whether it was Dick, RJ, Mitch, or any of the 12 QB's we played Matt Jones freshman season.

Get a clue.

Yep, HDN wants to minimize the QB as part of the offense, which explains the simple setups we have in the passing game.
I love Jesus!

hog caller

oh my TulsaHog are your hemi's bothering you tonight.Mitch couldn't win a tough sec game and we didn't want to put in in that position so how could he win a superbowl game HUH! how could he.

arkjay19

You said trusted their "all star" quarterback.  Mustain wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either.  And someone else made the point, they didn't run HUNH, they just ran no huddle, but with the NFL's longer play clock it's easier for them to do that and make adjustments. 

But Mustain didn't leave a situation he didn't like.  He left a situation where the fans and media wouldn't let him be another quarterback on the team.  All the "Darksiders" would always rally to him and he didn't want to be that.  I believe the fans drove him away just as much if not more than Nutt.

mook

You people need to get over it. I'm not a hugger or a darksider,I am tired of the same old crap. Just start being happy with the players who want to be RAZORBACKS, not some one who committed elsewhere then changed his mind or didn't get the right answer from Notre Dame. Casey Dick will be good to go. I was a huge supporter of MM but forget him I'm a HOGFAN!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: arkhog9 on February 04, 2007, 09:25:46 pm
You said trusted their "all star" quarterback.  Mustain wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either.  And someone else made the point, they didn't run HUNH, they just ran no huddle, but with the NFL's longer play clock it's easier for them to do that and make adjustments. 

But Mustain didn't leave a situation he didn't like.  He left a situation where the fans and media wouldn't let him be another quarterback on the team.  All the "Darksiders" would always rally to him and he didn't want to be that.  I believe the fans drove him away just as much if not more than Nutt.

I never said Mustain was an All Star.  I simply said the Colts trusted their all star qb. Are you saying Manning is NOT an all star qb?

HoopS

Mitch didn't want to be a Hog?    What a load of crap.   The boy wanted to be a Hog his whole life and got there and was run off.  Period

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 09:25:56 pm
You people need to get over it. I'm not a hugger or a darksider,I am tired of the same old crap. Just start being happy with the players who want to be RAZORBACKS, not some one who committed elsewhere then changed his mind or didn't get the right answer from Notre Dame. Casey Dick will be good to go. I was a huge supporter of MM but forget him I'm a HOGFAN!

Ignore the problem in will go away right?

I love fans like you.  They will be the ones paying the rent on the staduim upgrade to watch teams struggling to get a winning season.

BigoBoys

According to Frank it won't work in the SEC. 

AltaHog

As I recall, Frank's "BackPeddle" position was that the experts said the HUNH would never work in the SEC without a Dual Purpose QB.

Is Peyton a threat to run?

Wins the SuperBowl, but not the SEC. It really is a tough conference.

arkjay19

Just don't make the comparison without specifying the similarities, even though there are none in this one.

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 04, 2007, 09:28:53 pm

Mitch didn't want to be a Hog?    What a load of crap.   The boy wanted to be a Hog his whole life and got there and was run off.  Period

yep, by the fans

UnionChristian#3

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 04, 2007, 09:29:53 pm

and has that been proven right or wrong? we dont know how the HUNH looked in practice. maybe when gus got there his offense didnt work in practice against reggie's defense. or maybe they knew it wasnt time to trust a freshman with that offense...yet. who knows, but i think the right decisions were made this year, except the LSU game---not putting mitch back in. im not a mitch or casey fan, but it was clear that game casey wasnt on.
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

hoghearted

You keep telling yourself that, arkhog9.

No sense in trying to hold the head coach and AD responsible.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Union, we saw the HUNH in the very first game of the year, and it resulted in a touchdown.

How is it that it wasn't working out in practice?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

razor

And the HUNH Colts had a rookie running back, Joseph Addai, rush for over 1000 yards this year, leading all rookie running backs. I think McFadden could've gotten his in the HUNH.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:33:45 pm

and has that been proven right or wrong? we dont know how the HUNH looked in practice. maybe when gus got there his offense didnt work in practice against reggie's defense. or maybe they knew it wasnt time to trust a freshman with that offense...yet. who knows, but i think the right decisions were made this year, except the LSU game---not putting mitch back in. im not a mitch or casey fan, but it was clear that game casey wasnt on.

We don't know how it went in practice?

Where have you been?  We have at LEAST 3 players who went on record discussing its transgression through the fall practices.

Were you not reading the paper or watching the news? 

Let me refresh you.

Gus started from the 40.  In 5 plays using the HUNH, he scored 4 touchdowns.

Thats right, 4 touchdowns.  They kept setting them up and kept knocking em down.

I love these guys.

I had a player tell me, it flat out wore out the defense.  He told me mistakes were obviously made, but by the end of the practice, we had defenders stuggling to keep up.  We could have abused people this year.

But again, we are not playing in the Super Bowl, we were in the SEC, its much harder there.

mook

You love fans like me. Right, you all make players to be more important than the team. Mitch didn't want to be a hog, if he did he would still be there no matter the offense. Both Mitch and Casey neeeded to step up this year but they didn't that is why we were 10-4 and not NC 13-1. I will be there in the stands, you can go be a Tulsa Hurricane fan for the coach and probable QB. A true hogfan  on the team DMAC. Don't worry about recruiting me cause I'm a RAZORBACK. I wish everyone that left could just leave and the fans would supporting the one who stayed. I don't think they will succeed like they could have here but that is OK we get replacements for them.

HoopS

9, if any fans ran him off, I'm guessing it wasn't me or the ones actually had his back.   Funny how huggers claim not to bash any players ....unless his name is Mitch or he's from Springdale and then, have at it.   The talk shows should shoulder some blame too.   But above all else, I blame Houston Dale Nutt.

Thrilbilly

I seriously believe that after we had struggled all game against SoCal, then ran the HUNH with Mitch so successfully and scored so quickly and dominantly, that it blew Broyles and Nutts little minds. I think that they, for some reason felt deeply threatened by it.

brodie_hawg

another true hog is Hillis, which is another reason we finished the season losing 3 straight.  i think the outcome would have been different in at least 2 of the 3 games had he been able to play.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 09:37:40 pm
You love fans like me. Right, you all make players to be more important than the team. Mitch didn't want to be a hog, if he did he would still be there no matter the offense. Both Mitch and Casey neeeded to step up this year but they didn't that is why we were 10-4 and not NC 13-1. I will be there in the stands, you can go be a Tulsa Hurricane fan for the coach and probable QB. A true hogfan  on the team DMAC. Don't worry about recruiting me cause I'm a RAZORBACK. I wish everyone that left could just leave and the fans would supporting the one who stayed. I don't think they will succeed like they could have here but that is OK we get replacements for them.

I am sure one will struggle tremendously at USC (D Will).

Ignore the problem.  It will go away.  Keep quiet.  We will be back to the days of the 90's before you know it.

But you can say to all your friends, i was there to see it all.

Congrats. 

I will be back when this team shows it has a responsibility to the players and fans who support this program.

As a brilliant friend of mine said one time.  I am tired of being the statue.  I want to be the pigeon.

Sao Ming

Come on THF, NFL champions have run a myriad of schemes with the exact same outcome.  If this is an endorsement of the HUNH, then the converse certainly should be running and defense gets you to the big stage as well.  Apples, meet oranges.

Hog_Beatz

Umm..., that wasn't HUNH.  The first two letters stand for "Hurry up".  The Colts will be the first to tell you there is nothing Hurry about their offense, and so will the Bears D (They actually talked about it in a short clip on ESPN a few days ago).  They don't snap the ball until about 3 seconds on the playclock every down.  Good try though, it was a good way to bring up a point that we all know where everyone stands on.  A message board is a good place to express your opinion, but once I know what it is, there is no need to tell me over and over again. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 04, 2007, 09:43:18 pm
Come on THF, NFL champions have run a myriad of schemes with the exact same outcome.  If this is an endorsement of the HUNH, then the converse certainly should be running and defense gets you to the big stage as well.  Apples, meet oranges.

Absolutly.

I agree 100% with you.  Defense, running, passing, and special teams all need to be present for a run to the big game.

However, saying the HUNH will not work, tonight was shown to be a dumbass statement.  Thats my only point. 

mook

I agree brodie. That is a true hog. I wanted to win with MM but if he wants to leave, Don't let the door hit you on the way out. When Frank is gone Houston will go back to the stuff he did the first 2 seasons.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on February 04, 2007, 09:33:45 pm

Yea it won't work in the SEC Fla is just an exception to the rule and we all know the SEC is a helluva lot tougher than the NFL.

mook

Who cares it has never been about hte HUNH it completing downfield that we are concerned with. Completion percentage is it cause noone was saying much when Mitch went 7-10 for 89yds and we destroyed Auburn

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Hog_Beatz on February 04, 2007, 09:44:11 pm
Umm..., that wasn't HUNH.  The first two letters stand for "Hurry up".  The Colts will be the first to tell you there is nothing Hurry about their offense, and so will the Bears D (They actually talked about it in a short clip on ESPN a few days ago).  They don't snap the ball until about 3 seconds on the playclock every down.  Good try though, it was a good way to bring up a point that we all know where everyone stands on.  A message board is a good place to express your opinion, but once I know what it is, there is no need to tell me over and over again. 

Actually you could not be more wrong.

But i have seen some of your posts.  So to say i am shocked would be uhhhh pretty far off.

In the book, Gus Malzahn states, if you want, Hurry Up to the line of scrimmage, and wait..... until the clock is ran down to almost zero.  Then snap the ball.

The purpose of the Hurry Up, is to bring the defense to the line of scrimmage to reduce substitutions and force the defense to show their alignment in order to call a play which gives you the best chance of success.  You can take 22 of the 25 seconds to call that play if you want.  You can stand around in the backfield talking about the latest rap video if you want.  That has nothing to do with it.

The Hurry Up portion is limited ONLY to getting to the line of scrimmage, not calling the play.

You remember that line about its better to keep your mouth shut so the world doesn't know your ignorant rather than open it and prove to the world you are?  Yea that applies here pretty much to a T.

Your wrong 100% Beatz.

Please go show your ignorance in a thread i am not partaking in.  I don't have time to correct you all night long.

brodie_hawg

mook, i agree.  most people put the blame on nutt but broyles is the problem.  in all jobs, you do what your boss (broyles) tells you to do.  nutt has done what he has to: 1. try to win games but most importantly 2. to keep his job by keeping the boss happy.  people forget that nutt had a much more open offense at his previous jobs. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mook on February 04, 2007, 09:47:41 pm
Who cares it has never been about hte HUNH it completing downfield that we are concerned with. Completion percentage is it cause noone was saying much when Mitch went 7-10 for 89yds and we destroyed Auburn

Who cares about passing the ball using the HUNH.  I reccomend running the ball 80% of the time using the HUNH. 

Why should we pass it using the HUNH when we have DMac and Jones in the backfield?

Sao Ming

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 04, 2007, 09:44:38 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on February 04, 2007, 09:43:18 pm

Absolutly.

I agree 100% with you.  Defense, running, passing, and special teams all need to be present for a run to the big game.

However, saying the HUNH will not work, tonight was shown to be a dumbass statement.  Thats my only point. 

Now that is a smart statement.  In fact, Rex was 20-28 with 1 TD...turnovers killed them in many respects, not to mention the Colts being prepared to protect the run and allow the pass.  IMO, the Colts were opportunistic, played sound short game football with the run and screen and never got flustered.  Coaching tonight won the game.  A sore indictment of the Hogs of late.

Hogamous

Blah, Blah, Blah. The relevance of whether you huddle or not is kind of silly.  I don't really care which one NH or not but starting a thread with it is kind of lame.  I am quite sure if memory serves me correctly there have been championships won by both at all levels. (Oh and by the way no knock intended but since the bears couldn't make a first down IMO the result would have basically been the same huddle or not)

This was a thread meant to flame from the start.  Not strategizing just a little common sense

passinghog

Agreed THF; we could see situations similar to tonight where our offense could wear down the defense with the run using the HUNH w/ Jones and Mcfadden as tandem backs.

Imagine our offense getting to run 65-70 plays like what you saw tonight; Then the defense will undeniably make a mistake somewhere along the line, whether it be in substitution, coverage, or missed tackles b/c of fatigue....huggers will never understand the concept.

Turf Hog

Ask the Little Rock Central boys about the HUNH. 

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: Turf Hog on February 04, 2007, 09:59:38 pm
Ask the Little Rock Central boys about the HUNH. 
And ask the Springdale boys if they made any excuses for losing in Little Rock in 2004.  They sucked it up, put the blame on themselves, especially Mitch, and learned and moved on and beat MUCH better teams than Little Rock Central the following season. 

outlawhogeywells

thankyou union christian
they do not run the HUNH....and if you look close that had a very good running game. and the anouncers even said that things have changed at Indy...

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Hogamous on February 04, 2007, 09:57:10 pm
Blah, Blah, Blah. The relevance of whether you huddle or not is kind of silly.  I don't really care which one NH or not but starting a thread with it is kind of lame.  I am quite sure if memory serves me correctly there have been championships won by both at all levels. (Oh and by the way no knock intended but since the bears couldn't make a first down IMO the result would have basically been the same huddle or not)

This was a thread meant to flame from the start.  Not strategizing just a little common sense

Whether you huddle or not actually is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR to whether the defense is allowed to substitute.  So to say that its not relevant is at least ignorant.  Possibly worse. 

Meant to flame?  No.

Meant to make a point?  Yes.

I believe I have made my point.  I believe by the lack of responses to my arguments, my point has been made.