Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn and Tulsa first major D-1 program to offer #1 QB in state for 2008

Started by WILL CLINTON, February 02, 2007, 12:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

Jim Youngblood just got an offer from Gus himself.

Looks like Arkansas will be bringing up the rear. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

darazorback

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 12:59:56 pm

But wait we have already offered him...so we are now not a major D-1 program?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: darazorback on February 02, 2007, 01:01:32 pm

Jim has no offer from Arkansas. 

Tomhog™

CF's RB and DL has been offered, but Youngblood hasn't.  I swear the Arkansas staff is retarded...

darazorback

Quote from: Tomcat on February 02, 2007, 01:08:37 pm

CF's RB and DL has been offered, but Youngblood hasn't.  I swear the Arkansas staff is retarded...

Ok so I may have messed up saying UA has offered but I am even more sure that LSU has. No remember he has stated he wants to sign with a school that will let him be starting QB on the FB team and a starting pitcher on the Baseball team. So if you want him just as a pitcher or just at a QB you more then likely won't get him. I read on Scout.com that he has been clocked by professional scouts at 95 mph

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: darazorback on February 02, 2007, 01:13:21 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on February 02, 2007, 01:08:37 pm

Ok so I may have messed up saying UA has offered but I am even more sure that LSU has. No remember he has stated he wants to sign with a school that will let him be starting QB on the FB team and a starting pitcher on the Baseball team. So if you want him just as a pitcher or just at a QB you more then likely won't get him. I read on Scout.com that he has been clocked by professional scouts at 95 mph

Wrong again.  Jim has no offer from LSU.  Jim has stated that he would like to be able to play football and baseball in college, but starting never has been a part of it.  Of course he, like every other athlete would want to, but he has never stated that starting was an issue.  Secondly, he knows he may have to make a decision between the two, but only if it is absolutely necessary.  He was clocked at 95 MPH, while he was a sophmore, or between his SO. and JR. season. 

blueshog2001

I would like to see all 3 of these boys commit to the Hogs.  But we are going to sit on our hands and do nothing.  Hopefully after Nutt's presser next Wednesday he will be flying down to Camden.

mbgrulz

with the NC QB and now offering youngblood, would it be fair to assume that Gus is pretty sure MM will go elsewhere?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: fullfan on February 02, 2007, 01:53:41 pm
Nutt will probably want to evaluate him at TE.  Maybe he can come to Houston's football camp.

Been there, done that.  he was also the only Jr. invited to the Elite 11 QB camp last fall. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 02, 2007, 01:48:52 pm
with the NC QB and now offering youngblood, would it be fair to assume that Gus is pretty sure MM will go elsewhere?

I think Gus is intelligent enough to know that you need more than one good QB. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 02:03:04 pm

something that the current staff cant figure out.

did broderick green really committ to tulsa BTW?

hogfan98

hogfan98

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 02, 2007, 02:39:43 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 02:03:04 pm

something that the current staff cant figure out.

did broderick green really committ to tulsa BTW?

i read somewhere today that green is open and looking heavily at ohio state and penn state.  his coach said he had no clue where broderick was going.

jmchog

Tomcat,
You have some connections.
Please talk some sense into Nutt
and have him offer Youngblood.
I do not see the logic in why we
would NOT offer the #1 QB in
2008 when we have already offered
his 2 team mates.

Can Vanhorn go ahead and offer
for baseball?

hogtusk

Quote from: jmchog on February 02, 2007, 02:54:30 pm
Tomcat,
his 2 team mates.

for baseball?
OK I'll bite. #1 QB in 2008? In Camden? Or Arkansas? Or the US?
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogtusk on February 02, 2007, 03:12:38 pm
Tomcat,
his 2 team mates.

for baseball?
OK I'll bite. #1 QB in 2008? In Camden? Or Arkansas? Or the US?

In Arkansas. 

hogfan98

Tomcat,
his 2 team mates.

for baseball?

i've read van horn has already offered.

501Ben

You guys find every little thing to bitch about don't you? Arkansas can't do a thing right in half of y'alls eyes. Why don't you all go interview to be the recruiting coordinator at Arkansas, they need one since C.Vaughn is now coaching. Then maybe yall can go get all the 4 and 5 star players for us.

blueshog2001

That would be a really cool job.  Where could I send my resume?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: 501Ben on February 02, 2007, 04:06:57 pm
You guys find every little thing to *** about don't you? Arkansas can't do a thing right in half of y'alls eyes. Why don't you all go interview to be the recruiting coordinator at Arkansas, they need one since C.Vaughn is now coaching. Then maybe yall can go get all the 4 and 5 star players for us.

what are the requirements??  I know they can't be too high since Chris Vaughn and Houston Nutt do it.  I'm sure I can sell better than either of those 2 nincompoops. 

by the way, what in the hell could we possibly need Chris Vaughn to coach??

tbob

It doesn't make a lot of sense that Van Horn has offered him but Nutt hasn't. We would be much better off with the limited number of baseball scholarships to have Nutt give him one and then let him play baseball too. That's where his future is. Isn't Carlton Salters (fb scholarship) now playing outfield with the DiamondHawgs?

tbob

Malzahn can offer all he wants, the kid will NEVER go to Tulsa. His future is in baseball and he knows it and would you rather play for your home state and the #4 team in the nation or with a team which is at best the 4th best baseball program in the State of Oklahoma.

Shizzle

I don't know who has and who hasn't offered this kid. I will bet anybody any amount of money they want to bet that Ole Miss will offer him before it is all said and done. I think they offer every starting senior and junior on every high school team in the US my goodness!! I was looking at the ESPN recruiting and Miss shows up on 90% of the kids
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

arklahoman36

Quote from: tbob on February 02, 2007, 04:26:47 pm
Malzahn can offer all he wants, the kid will NEVER go to Tulsa. His future is in baseball and he knows it and would you rather play for your home state and the #4 team in the nation or with a team which is at best the 4th best baseball program in the State of Oklahoma.

If he's really interested in playing college baseball, he certainly won't go to a school that doesn't have a baseball team (TU).

Hugehogsfan

this is absoulutely freakin ridculous, are we actually going to sit by while other teams come in and offer our state's best players before we do.  I mean we have offered his teammates but not him. 

On a side note, have we offered the RB from Texarkana?

blueshog2001

Our staff might be trying to close the deal on this years class.  Our at least I hope that is the excuse.

mbgrulz

Quote from: arklahoman36 on February 02, 2007, 04:36:48 pm

If he's really interested in playing college baseball, he certainly won't go to a school that doesn't have a baseball team (TU).
if he's really interested in being a baseball player, why go to college at all?

Space Man

If Youngblood has a second pitch, he will be offered a ridiculous signing bonus by some MLB team.  Arkansas can only sign one QB, and it will be a toss up if Youngblood chooses to go to college.  I know several people who were set on going to college, until the signing bonus was put on the table.  These people came from various economic backgrounds, and very few left the money on the table. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Not saying it would be good reasoning on their part, but I can see them thinking that they don't want him because of Dick and Chaisson coming in this year.  They may not think he is better than either one of them.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

esg

All you fans suck, I mean arkansas offered Kodi Burns first that helped, Lee Z.  And by the way I have seen youngblood play, hes good but I don't that his that great.  He is not even the best player in the county and neither is either one of his teammates.  And by the way if he goes to Tulsa to play QB he better stick with BB.  Everybody on hear thinks Malzahn will get alot of arkansas talent well you are very mistaken. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on February 02, 2007, 04:50:18 pm
this is absoulutely freakin ridculous, are we actually going to sit by while other teams come in and offer our state's best players before we do.  I mean we have offered his teammates but not him. 

He was with the RB from Camden when he received the offer via text message from Nutt.  I have no idea why they didn't offer at the same time. 
Quote from: Space Man on February 02, 2007, 05:42:23 pm

If Youngblood has a second pitch, he will be offered a ridiculous signing bonus by some MLB team.  Arkansas can only sign one QB, and it will be a toss up if Youngblood chooses to go to college.  I know several people who were set on going to college, until the signing bonus was put on the table.  These people came from various economic backgrounds, and very few left the money on the table. 

You don't know this kid.  This kid has big ambitions that go way beyond what he could do in the world of athletics.  It will have to be a life changing amount for him not to go to college. 

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 02, 2007, 04:51:36 pm
Our staff might be trying to close the deal on this years class.  Our at least I hope that is the excuse.

Texas A&M already has 8 commits.  And he is down there this weekend visiting. 

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 02, 2007, 05:18:44 pm

Because some kids want more than to be a baseball player, or football player.  Some of these kids don't just want to be athletes the rest of their life.  They have ambitions.  He is one of those kids. 

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 02, 2007, 05:46:11 pm
Not saying it would be good reasoning on their part, but I can see them thinking that they don't want him because of Dick and Chaisson coming in this year.  They may not think he is better than either one of them.

Of the people who have seen all 3, all say that Jim is better than either of these, as a Jr. in high school, than they are at the present time. 

darazorback

Quote from: 501Ben on February 02, 2007, 04:06:57 pm
You guys find every little thing to *** about don't you? Arkansas can't do a thing right in half of y'alls eyes. Why don't you all go interview to be the recruiting coordinator at Arkansas, they need one since C.Vaughn is now coaching. Then maybe yall can go get all the 4 and 5 star players for us.

Yeah I totally feel ya. It's not our jobs on the line and all we have is online sites to go by. They have to go by what the scouting department gives the coaches to go after. They don't read rivals and scout. I mean think about it, if the people on these site knew all, don't you think they would be making alot more money heading up a scouting department for a major school, or for a professional team. So lay off guys and I am sure the coaches will pick up on him, once the scouting department breaks down all the available film on him, thus far.

oldfart

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 03:20:53 pm
Tomcat,
his 2 team mates.

for baseball?

i've read van horn has already offered.
problem is, very few (if any) baseball schollies are for a full ride....

Space Man

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 06:08:09 pm

He was with the RB from Camden when he received the offer via text message from Nutt.  I have no idea why they didn't offer at the same time. 

You don't know this kid.  This kid has big ambitions that go way beyond what he could do in the world of athletics.  It will have to be a life changing amount for him not to go to college. 

Because some kids want more than to be a baseball player, or football player.  Some of these kids don't just want to be athletes the rest of their life.  They have ambitions.  He is one of those kids. 

Of the people who have seen all 3, all say that Jim is better than either of these, as a Jr. in high school, than they are at the present time. 

$500.000 dollar signing bonuses would definintely qualify as life changing.  I know  a medical doctor who played minor league baseball, and the MLB team picked up the check for the first 4 years of his education.  I don't know him, but I do recognize common sense. 

Space Man

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 06:08:09 pm

Arkansas can only sign 1 qb, and there are plenty in the country.  I only saw him play against PA, so I am not sure how good he is, but I think that Arkansas should evaluate film on several qbs before deciding to offer.  However, if this kid has an arm like Kodi Burns, with accuracy, Arkansas should offer quickly. 

LR Hog

Gus will be gone in a year or two.  He has his sights set on being a head coach some where.
Like a boss.

hog37

Nice QB, but after watching him in last summer's QB1 Challenge, I think it's a good idea to wait and see on him.  He did not stand out.  Hype is a powerful thing!

mj4president

Chill out yall. We will offer later. Also, since when has Tulsa been considered a MAJOR D1 school?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

younghog

GO HOGS

Hawgdad76

Tulsa a Major D-1? Seriously? Somebody has had too much to drink.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: tbob on February 02, 2007, 04:23:46 pm
It doesn't make a lot of sense that Van Horn has offered him but Nutt hasn't. We would be much better off with the limited number of baseball scholarships to have Nutt give him one and then let him play baseball too. That's where his future is. Isn't Carlton Salters (fb scholarship) now playing outfield with the DiamondHawgs?

If you play two sports, doesn't the scholarship count towards both sports.  If so, does it really matter when it comes to # of scholarships either way it costs both sport a scholarship.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 01:04:19 pm

Jim has no offer from Arkansas. 

What he meant to say was, "Tulsa is now a MAJOR D-1 program?" 

Look, I know a lot of people are excited about Gus being there in all, but calling Tulsa a major D-1 program is a little extreme.  Are they D-1?  yes.  Are they a major D-1 school?  No.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Space Man on February 03, 2007, 09:52:19 pm
$500.000 dollar signing bonuses would definintely qualify as life changing.  I know  a medical doctor who played minor league baseball, and the MLB team picked up the check for the first 4 years of his education.  I don't know him, but I do recognize common sense. 

I'm assuming you meant a $500,000 signing bonus would be life changing, but not to this kid.  It is going to have to be significantly more than that. 

Quote from: hog37 on February 04, 2007, 10:14:05 am
Nice QB, but after watching him in last summer's QB1 Challenge, I think it's a good idea to wait and see on him.  He did not stand out.  Hype is a powerful thing!

Seeing as he was the youngest QB there, and the only Jr. invited (if this is the right camp I'm thinking it is), I can see how he didn't.  He was a year behind the other QB. 

Quote from: younghog on February 04, 2007, 01:14:29 pm
Umm Youngblood was offered a while back..

Plus its been up on rivals as well.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=60435

YOUNGBLOOD DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFER FOR FOOTBALL FROM ARKANSAS AS FAR AS HE OR ANY MEMBER OF HIS FAMILY KNOWS. 

Quote from: Hawgdad76 on February 05, 2007, 09:43:25 am

I consider anything above the Sun Belt major.  Boise ST, is major, Vanderbilt is major, North Carolina is major, South Florida is Major.  Geez. 

Space Man

Quote from: dubyacee on February 05, 2007, 12:18:22 pm

I'm assuming you meant a $500,000 signing bonus would be life changing, but not to this kid.  It is going to have to be significantly more than that. 

Seeing as he was the youngest QB there, and the only Jr. invited (if this is the right camp I'm thinking it is), I can see how he didn't.  He was a year behind the other QB. 

YOUNGBLOOD DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFER FOR FOOTBALL FROM ARKANSAS AS FAR AS HE OR ANY MEMBER OF HIS FAMILY KNOWS. 

I think that going after the quaterback at Bastrop, La would be a safer bet.  Randal Mackey is the truth, and would be the best choice, but he does like THE U, so this may be an uphill battle. 

I consider anything above the Sun Belt major.  Boise ST, is major, Vanderbilt is major, North Carolina is major, South Florida is Major.  Geez. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: dubyacee on February 05, 2007, 12:18:22 pm

Actually, just about all schools below the BCS conferences are considered "MID-Majors."  You might consider South Florida and Tulsa and San Jose State major D-1 schools, but you're in the minority, big time.

oldfart

you can get a football scholarship and play any other sport without it counting against that sport. However, if you get a scholarship in any other sport including basketball if you also play football it is going to count against football.  Remember Wen Mokubo (sp)? after being shunted out of basketball he wanted to try his hand at football but was not able to because it would have counted against the football scholarships

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on February 05, 2007, 10:19:10 am
Quote from: tbob on February 02, 2007, 04:23:46 pm

If you play two sports, doesn't the scholarship count towards both sports.  If so, does it really matter when it comes to # of scholarships either way it costs both sport a scholarship.