Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn and Tulsa first major D-1 college to offer #1QB in state for 2008!!

Started by WILL CLINTON, February 02, 2007, 12:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 04:30:34 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 04:16:52 pm
I knew some people would come on here and try to say that since it is Tulsa, it isn't really that important, or that if Tulsa was looking at him, maybe we don't want him, and tons of other BS.  You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Tulsa is as much a major D-1 college as boise ST, Vandy, North Carolina, South Florida, etc. etc. 

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state isn't IS a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

To those of you who say that Nutt only wants the ones who wants to be hogs, Jim stated in his interview with Trey Biddy, that he had wanted to be a hog his whole life.  Is he not supposed to look at other schools??  Does it make him any less of a person, or athlete for him to check out other schools before he decides where to go??  Nutt only says that he only wants ones who want to be Hogs because the majority of his offers go out to 2 star guys who are elated to have an offer from someone above SAU Tech. 

Believe me, when this whole process is over, and you see the offers that this kid has on the table when he does decide to make his decision, you will understand how much of a blunder Arkansas is making. 

no problem here, considering that, if memory is serving me correctly, the only top rated qb's from arkansas to have careers worth anything were barry lunney, high school class of, what, 1991, and matt jones.  with the jury still out on mitch and kodi, that's 2 top rated qb's in 15 yrs from arkansas to have success at the major d-1 level.  some that i can think of whose careers amounted to nothing include john rutledge, daniel lunny, gary brashears, zac clark, and the other handful who didn't do jack.

Sorry, I made a mistake when I posted this the first time.  I fixed it just then. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogfan98

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 04:39:41 pm
Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on February 02, 2007, 04:33:42 pm
I knew some people would come on here and try to say that since it is Tulsa, it isn't really that important, or that if Tulsa was looking at him, maybe we don't want him, and tons of other BS.  You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Tulsa is as much a major D-1 college as boise ST, Vandy, North Carolina, South Florida, etc. etc. 

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state isn't a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

To those of you who say that Nutt only wants the ones who wants to be hogs, Jim stated in his interview with Trey Biddy, that he had wanted to be a hog his whole life.  Is he not supposed to look at other schools??  Does it make him any less of a person, or athlete for him to check out other schools before he decides where to go??  Nutt only says that he only wants ones who want to be Hogs because the majority of his offers go out to 2 star guys who are elated to have an offer from someone above SAU Tech. 

Believe me, when this whole process is over, and you see the offers that this kid has on the table when he does decide to make his decision, you will understand how much of a blunder Arkansas is making. 

no problem here, considering that, if memory is serving me correctly, the only top rated qb's from arkansas to have careers worth anything were barry lunney, high school class of, what, 1991, and matt jones.  with the jury still out on mitch and kodi, that's 2 top rated qb's in 15 yrs from arkansas to have success at the major d-1 level.  some that i can think of whose careers amounted to nothing include john rutledge, daniel lunny, gary brashears, zac clark, and the other handful who didn't do jack.

So to your point, we should only look out of state for any help at QB.  Is that why we were interested in Mike Johnson, but once he signed with Tulsa, he no longer can help us.  What about Nathan Dick, no doubt I am glad he chose us and hope he works out, but what about this signing causes you to be calm or excited about our future at QB?

Im sorry, I was typing really fast, and should have said "is a problem".  It is a problem that Arkansas hasn't offered the #1 QB recruit in the state.  Sorry about the confusion. 

appreciate the correction, but i still disagree with you.  :)

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 04:40:17 pm

I don't see how anyone can't see that Arkansas not offering the #1 Qb in the state isn't a problem.  What about Dale's fence?? 

So to your point, we should only look out of state for any help at QB.  Is that why we were interested in Mike Johnson, but once he signed with Tulsa, he no longer can help us.  What about Nathan Dick, no doubt I am glad he chose us and hope he works out, but what about this signing causes you to be calm or excited about our future at QB?

never said we should look out of state for help at qb.  nor did i say i was calm or excited about our future at qb.  don't put words in my mouth.  all i was saying is that being the #1 qb in arkansas doesn't make you worthy of an offer.

I think that being #1 in any position in Arkansas, you should get an offer from Arkansas.  That is what trying to keep the best talent in the state means.  That is what building a fence does. 

Porkbelly

never said we should look out of state for help at qb.  nor did i say i was calm or excited about our future at qb.  don't put words in my mouth.  all i was saying is that being the #1 qb in arkansas doesn't make you worthy of an offer.

Not to mention the fact that next week is national signing day for THIS year. Can't they wait until after next week to worry about next year's class!!?
This is what it's all about.

HogSophist

The more specific point....It is not about the "top rated QB in ARK" per se. I have witnessed years where there was more talent on the intramural fields at the UofA. The issue, in my mind, is more like why no early offer on the"top rated QB in ARK, that will be on the list of potentially several major D1 Schools".
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

hogfan98

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 04:42:37 pm

I think that being #1 in any position in Arkansas, you should get an offer from Arkansas.  That is what trying to keep the best talent in the state means.  That is what building a fence does. 

while the talent in arkansas is on the rise, the best players are still out of state.  if i can have the #1 qb in arkansas, or the #10 qb in texas, but the kid from texas is better, then i'm going to go after the texas kid 10 times out of 10.  i want the player who gives me the best chance to win.  i don't care where he is from.  keep in mind that i say all of this not knowing anything about jy's abilities.  he may be a great player.  my argument is strictly based on principle. 

hogfan98

Quote from: HogSophist on February 02, 2007, 04:46:29 pm

The more specific point....It is not about the "top rated QB in ARK" per se. I have witnessed years where there was more talent on the intramural fields at the UofA. The issue, in my mind, is more like why no early offer on the"top rated QB in ARK, that will be on the list of potentially several major D1 Schools".

i'll buy that.  i just don't buy the "offer the #1 qb in arkansas just because" or the "offer the #1 qb in arkansas because tulsa did" issues

WILL CLINTON

If half the teams that are looking at him offer, it will be a VERY, VERY impressive list. 

HOGMANIA

the kid is very good qb. fairview ran out of the spread and no huddle some. alot like malzahn offense so of course he would OFFER him. but the kid has been a big baseball prospect longer then football. he told me he wanted to play both. he has a VERY strong arm and is pretty quick. throws great on the run. he wants to be a hog. and if he feels that is the best place for him. great for us bc we will be lucky to have him.

HogSophist

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 04:51:34 pm

If half the teams that are looking at him offer, it will be a VERY, VERY impressive list. 

from his stats, and what little info there is available out there, i think you will be right on that one.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 04:49:38 pm

i'll buy that.  i just don't buy the "offer the #1 qb in arkansas just because" or the "offer the #1 qb in arkansas because tulsa did" issues

wow, I agree with that as well. This may be a hogville first for me, mutually agree's(if that is a word).

CalHog

Quote from: jtgreer on February 02, 2007, 02:19:30 pm
Quote from: paraloma on February 02, 2007, 02:03:59 pm
Quote from: jtgreer on February 02, 2007, 01:57:41 pm
Since when has tulsa been a "major D1 college"?

b

When they hired Malazahn.

So hiring a CO-offensive coordinator, one year removed from high school, who according to most posters on this board was not even calling the plays at Arkansas, and thus has no college play-calling experience, has turned tulsa into a major D1 program?  Im not saying that I dont think Malzahn is a great coach, in fact I believe he has a great offensive mind.  Its just that I dont think he has the experience to turn tulsa into a major d1 program.  Guys, he's not even the head coach.

but, he was hired by a HC he knows what he is capable of bringing to the program and who really wanted him.  Go Gus!!!

jagoodwin1953

we only like 3 star or two star player,s Broderick Green to manny star,s for us we mit win with good player,s  ;D

Redbug

Quote from: frankwilliams on February 02, 2007, 03:18:30 pm

Wow. That's funny. The man love for this dude is unreal. I don't remember this many Gus Disciples 2 years ago. Do the math on recruits and commitments to the first school that offered. When you get the results, then give me the point of this thread.

Arkansas is recruiting all 3 of those kids and have offered 2. They are about to sign 2 freshman ATHLETES MASQUERADING AS QB's IN HIGH SCHOOL

Fixed that for ya....

86jacketstchamps

Sorry for the delay in response, was coaching church basketball team, but in response to your post...I do agree that just being rated #1 QB in Arkansas does not warrant an offer, I will say that with the stats this guy has put up, with the athletes surrounding him that warranted coaches watching games in 06, This QB should of been on Arkansas' radar, and if we end up making an offer and it being too late.  Then I say that is a problem.  Fair enough?

LJHOG

Tulsa = "major D1 college"  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: LJHOG on February 02, 2007, 06:53:54 pm
Tulsa = "major D1 college"  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why would Frank say it was a promotion for Gus reason for switching jobs?

Dwight_K_Shrute

It's just like going to a bar or a club.  The guys that are confident, and have a good plan going in, start hitting up the hot chicks early and usually go home with one.  Maybe not the first one but usually a hot one.  The dudes that hang back, build up some false courage with drinks and finally make a move at 1:55 go home with the chubbs.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

riccoar

Now you guys all know that Nutt can't offer this kid until Otis Kirk has completed his evaluation of his true talent.

joebut18

Let me get this straight....just because Gus offers, this kid has to be all-world?  Give it up people, how about we wait to see if he's any good at camp or into his sr. year before Ark gives him an offer.  This is the SEC not C-USA spare-ass conference...you better know what you got before you start throwing around offers. 

riccoar

Arkansas know's what it has at QB, very thin corps, so this kid should have been contacted.

GO

Quote from: joebut18 on February 02, 2007, 09:07:46 pm
Let me get this straight....just because Gus offers, this kid has to be all-world?  Give it up people, how about we wait to see if he's any good at camp or into his sr. year before Ark gives him an offer.  This is the SEC not C-USA spare-ass conference...you better know what you got before you start throwing around offers. 

Has nothing to do with Gus offering. It has to do with this is #1 rated QB for next years class. Gus is already offering. I would image AR will offer but the question is will it be to late which seems to be a trend with this staff and recruiting. This kid is good. The Magnolia/Camden game last year was as good a football game as been played here is South AR since Shilo Christian/Junction City. Just keep up with the kid and watch the offers start to come then we will see how long it take HN to offer.

GO

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on February 02, 2007, 01:01:09 pm
We don't "offer".  We wait for these kids to come to us.  Do you want it to seem like we actually want them?

"We don't want them unless they want to be here" :puke:

Sounds like something an abuser would say to his kid or his wife . . . . . Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

AltaHog

Quote from: joebut18 on February 02, 2007, 09:07:46 pm

When did we offer Mitch?

What was Mitch's record (as a starting freshman) when we ran Mitch off?

Do we need to wait and see, before we try and keep Mitch for his sophmore season?

softballguy8

Quote from: dubyacee on February 02, 2007, 12:58:11 pm
Jim Youngblood just got the offer from Gus himself. 

Arkansas is behind again.

Expecting 2-4 more offers by end of next week. 

I understand what you are saying ... You're right. IF the kid is that good, we should be the first to offer. But Tulsa isn't a Major D1 Program. So, when Tennessee offers ... they will be the FIRST major program.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

NorthStHog

Not to take a shot because I haven't seen the kid play,  but-  This can be looked at two ways-  Tulsa can offer whoever they want, but if they are a good enough player to play with the big boys, they won't go to Tulsa.  Or,  Quarterbacks from small schools in Arkansas tend not to pan out in the SEC.  Anyone remember Jarred McBride, how about Gary Brashears,  I can name a few more but it is late.  We still may offer this kid, but when did it become a race of who can offer first-  does this really have a huge effect on what school is chosen, and if it does, does it really have a huge effect when they are offered a scholarship to an SEC in the 11th hour or to a WAC school early on.  Easy fellas-  Much ado about nothing-
Go Hogs!

USCoastGuard

Come back over Gus!

dhornjr1

We don't need Jimmy Youngblood........

One Jimmy can't cover two Dicks!!!! ;)

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: preacherhog on February 02, 2007, 01:04:16 pm
For years we heard about the cloud and how it hurt recruiting.  From 2002 thru 2006 our average recruiting ranking was 26.  Right now this class appears to be settling in somewhere in the mid 30s.  What will be the excuse now???

Hey do you know what the rankings were year by year?  We've slipped down to 33 on rivals . . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

HawgWyld

Quote from: NorthStHog on February 02, 2007, 10:43:21 pm
Tulsa can offer whoever they want, but if they are a good enough player to play with the big boys, they won't go to Tulsa.
Sadly, they probably won't go to Arkansas, either...

Hogtimes

If he throws a 95 mph baseball,  he will not be playing for any D1 football team.    He will be playing Major League Baseball.

perfectgame

Jim is a great kid with great parents. unless Jim was on the Tulsa campus or Jim called Gus, Gus cannot have "contact" with an 08 until July 1st of 07. my son is an 08 also being recruited by the UofA for baseball and other than letters only we can make contact with the coach. Jim and my son have played with and against each other for years and he would be an asset to any program he picks. offers can come anytime contact cannot somthing we have been learning on the fly. go hogs!!

yes he does throw over 90 sometimes but i don't think he's hit 95 yet!!! but he will....

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: NorthStHog on February 02, 2007, 10:43:21 pm
Not to take a shot because I haven't seen the kid play,  but-  This can be looked at two ways-  Tulsa can offer whoever they want, but if they are a good enough player to play with the big boys, they won't go to Tulsa.  Or,  Quarterbacks from small schools in Arkansas tend not to pan out in the SEC.  Anyone remember Jarred McBride, how about Gary Brashears,  I can name a few more but it is late.  We still may offer this kid, but when did it become a race of who can offer first-  does this really have a huge effect on what school is chosen, and if it does, does it really have a huge effect when they are offered a scholarship to an SEC in the 11th hour or to a WAC school early on.  Easy fellas-  Much ado about nothing-

It mattered to Broderick Green that Houston waited so long to offer. 

Quote from: USCoastGuard on February 02, 2007, 11:25:35 pm
TOO BAD YOUNGBLOOD IS NOT THE BEST QB IN THE STATE IN 2008!

Thanks for your contribution.  Who would you say is the best??

Quote from: Stan on February 03, 2007, 10:37:51 am
If he throws a 95 mph baseball,  he will not be playing for any D1 football team.    He will be playing Major League Baseball.

That is not necessarily true.  This kid wants to go to college, and money is not an issue, so he will more than likely go to college.  Unless the money is ridiculous, he will be in college. 

Quote from: perfectgame on February 03, 2007, 10:40:46 am
Jim is a great kid with great parents. unless Jim was on the Tulsa campus or Jim called Gus, Gus cannot have "contact" with an 08 until July 1st of 07. my son is an 08 also being recruited by the UofA for baseball and other than letters only we can make contact with the coach. Jim and my son have played with and against each other for years and he would be an asset to any program he picks. offers can come anytime contact cannot somthing we have been learning on the fly. go hogs!!

yes he does throw over 90 sometimes but i don't think he's hit 95 yet!!! but he will....

Jim was on the phone with Gus when he got the scholarship. I believe it was a text, call back sort of deal.  I do know that Jim called Gus.  He has hit 95, before his Jr. year started. 

JoePaul03

#1 QB in the state next year? I thought this thread must've been about Tyler Wilson from Greenwood
WCOB, 2003

OLD DOC

What all schools does Tyler have offers from & what combines has he been to? rivals, scout , Arkansas FCA ?
I know he had a great year !

bigbrutha

So what?  I'm sure he'll sign him also. LOL

JoePaul03

Don't know about Tyler's offers and camps, etc., but he's another guy that may end up playing pro baseball
WCOB, 2003

Wrigley_crush

"You should probably take just about everything i say to you as an insult!"

bigbrutha

Quote from: Wrigley_crush on February 05, 2007, 01:39:53 pm
How well does he hand off? That is the real key.

Good point.  We've got to give MM some credit.  He was good at handing off.

TheHogFan

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 02, 2007, 04:14:14 pm
Quote from: Newhopehog on February 02, 2007, 03:56:33 pm
Quote from: frankwilliams on February 02, 2007, 03:18:30 pm

Wow. That's funny. The man love for this dude is unreal. I don't remember this many Gus Disciples 2 years ago. Do the math on recruits and commitments to the first school that offered. When you get the results, then give me the point of this thread.

Arkansas is recruiting all 3 of those kids and have offered 2. They are about to sign 2 freshman QB's. He won't sign with Tulsa because they were 1st. I would bet on it.

it almost equals your manlove for Nutt.....

i didn't see him reference nutt, or this so called love, one time in his post.
Is it possible for everyone to just calm down? Why do we have to rush and be the first to offer? Who cares who offers who first? The main concern of ours should be to get the best quarterback possible. Will it be Youngblood? Maybe, but there is this thing called an evaluation period. So just because Tulsa offers this kid IN FEBRUARY, it means that we are behind the ball? You do not have to be the first school to offer to gain a commitment. Really people? You are complaining that we have not offered a JUNIOR QB, who most of you have never seen play, or do not even know his stats! AND IT IS FEBRUARY! Just because he is from Arkansas does not mean he autmatically gets an offer. No one has mentioned that his two teammates have offers. Please just take a couple of deep breaths and put this in a little bit of perspective.

TheHogFan

Quote from: riccoar on February 02, 2007, 09:11:13 pm
Arkansas know's what it has at QB, very thin corps, so this kid should have been contacted.
He has been, just hasn't gotten an offer YET.

razorbackmike

I can not believe that so many people are worried about him going to Tulsa.  Tulsa does not have a baseball team, and since that is his main sport, I doubt he will be signing with them(especially since the kid has already said that he wants to play both sports).

carhog

Its not like we are not recruiting him.  He was invited to the TN game with two other Camden prospects by the coaches.   He will be offered by Arkansas but I think he might go in the draft.  That is just my opinion.

razorhog52

Know the facts before you post. This kid has already been contacted. He came to the TN game on an unofficial visit with his teammates around 4 months ago. So it looks like Houston and his staff were on them before many knew about him. Louis Campbell was down in Camden recently visiting all three to invite them to Junior Day, which all three accepted. I'm sure that the coaches want to see him at camp.

BTW, DeAnthony Curtis from Camden will be a much higher rated recruit than Youngblood. He is a 5'11 205 RB that ran a 4.41 laser time 40. With McFadden leaving next year, and Jones the year after that, I'm guessing he was a high priority.

I'm sure the Greenwood kid will be at Junior Days as well. The coaches probably want to see which is better before offering either.

football-writer

If Youngblood got an offer right now from ANYONE, it's an NCAA violation....NCAA coaches CAN talk to coaches of players who are juniors...HOWEVER they are PROHIBITED from talking to players who are NOT seniors.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

Nashville Fan

IF he goes to AR here it better be for baseball. That's the only throwing he will do on campus.
Pittman or Bust!

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: riccoar on February 02, 2007, 08:56:34 pm
Now you guys all know that Nutt can't offer this kid until Otis Kirk has completed his evaluation of his true talent.

That's an angle I hadn't heard yet about OK and HDN . . . Do you think it's true?? . . . I think I believe it...
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

football-writer

Quote from: perfectgame on February 05, 2007, 06:12:15 pm
not if the player makes the contact

True...HOWEVER...if a scholarship WAS offered...it's a violation....
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: razorhog52 on February 05, 2007, 05:59:14 pm

Know the facts before you post. This kid has already been contacted. He came to the TN game on an unofficial visit with his teammates around 4 months ago. So it looks like Houston and his staff were on them before many knew about him. Louis Campbell was down in Camden recently visiting all three to invite them to Junior Day, which all three accepted. I'm sure that the coaches want to see him at camp.

BTW, DeAnthony Curtis from Camden will be a much higher rated recruit than Youngblood. He is a 5'11 205 RB that ran a 4.41 laser time 40. With McFadden leaving next year, and Jones the year after that, I'm guessing he was a high priority.

I'm sure the Greenwood kid will be at Junior Days as well. The coaches probably want to see which is better before offering either.

Arkansas wasn't "on him before many knew about him".  They were/are still not one of the first 3-5 schools to contact him.  The coaches have seen him at camp for a while.  DeAnthony will be highly rated, and maybe moreso than Jim.  But, just for clarification, he is 5'9" (5'10 on a good day) and weighs in about 190-195. 

Quote from: football-writer on February 05, 2007, 06:09:38 pm

If Youngblood got an offer right now from ANYONE, it's an NCAA violation....NCAA coaches CAN talk to coaches of players who are juniors...HOWEVER they are PROHIBITED from talking to players who are NOT seniors.

Good grief.  They are prohibited from intiating contact with a recruit, but not from talking to them.  I believe that Gus contacted the coach, and Jim called him back.  Houston Nutt texted DeAnthony and told him about the scholarship, and Tennessee contacted DeAnthony about his scholarship offer there.  Hell, Texas A & M flew in here last week to talk to De' and Jim and they went on a trip to visit A & M this past weekend.  So, it is NOT a NCAA violation. 

I never realized how much bad information was being put out.  I know that this isn't even the same type of deal as it was with Mustain, or other highly recruited kids, but just the little I've seen put out about Jim is ridiculous.  It definitly shows me who I can, and can't trust about information on this site.