Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How nice would this have been against LSU

Started by Mr. Hog, February 01, 2007, 10:30:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hog

Go Hogs Go!

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

mongo™

Everytime I see that I think of what could have been for last year and the next three years.  Now I want to puke.
AND HERE COME THE RAZORBACKS

jc20

Mitch Mustain, I apologize for speaking badly about you on a post.

Seriously, he looked so comfortable and in that sequence,  I didn't relize that MM went to Jr. M.Monk, Fr. Ben Cleveland, MM causing offsides, Handoff to So. F.Jones, Pass to Fr. D. Williams and then the Fr. QB runs it in.  Man this team could have been special this year.

jc20

Sorry to double post but when it showed GM, you could tell HE was running the plays at that time.

WASAHAWG70

The era of MM? HDN and JFB wasn't going to allow it. No way! Their egos couldn't stand it.

hogsandroyals

only time ark fans will see this is when its being ran on us

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Mr. Hog on February 01, 2007, 10:30:33 pm
AND...why did we only try this once in 2006 ?

Please make me understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa3uv_lKwg

i want to vomit, i love these hogs, "the mitch mustain era." i'm afraid the losses we've had are going the wrong direction.

it worked well but you had to love the action line of huggers/chuck, what the espn commentators said, "it wasn't the first team defense," oh but it was 7 of the 11 starters were in that drive.

it was beautiful. we should've seen it more, why didn't we ? ? ? ? ? ?

and now the possibility of him going to the trojans...
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

arkjay19

MM-gohogs

aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

hogansas

anybody make the "running quarterback" connection there?  looks like MM could run it well enough!
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

PiggyBack

I am physically ill now.
That was the future and jfb wiped his Depends on it.

I hate Darth Broyles and little dale.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Mister_BS

The beginning of the Mitch Mustain era at Arkansas, so said the announcer...

oh well

PiggyBack

Quote from: hogansas on February 02, 2007, 12:20:31 am
anybody make the "running quarterback" connection there?  looks like MM could run it well enough!

Notice too that the second longest play in that drive was a running play.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

BUELT1

The announcer said this is the beginning of the Mustain ERA, actually it was the end. Houston could not handle the success.
GO HOGS GO!!!!

HOGCATCH

Mike Vick is a running QB and the Falcon's suck! Chris Leak ran to the National Championship!
Winning is a way of life!

dhornjr1

We were down by 37 points and the crowd was going crazy on that whole drive.

Oh, what might have been.

hogpowr

Quote from: mongo™ on February 01, 2007, 10:36:35 pm
Everytime I see that I think of what could have been for last year and the next three years.  Now I want to puke.

Exactly,.....I just got back in from puking off the front porch.

I HATE  frank broyles.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

CCU Cougar

I'd really like everyone to watch that video closely... pay attention to the little details. I have to admit, I had left at that point of the game and only heard the roars of the crowd from walking back to my dorm, but wow. Mitch never looked so good at any other point of the season. Granted, it wasn't USC's starting defense, but I'm not just talking about his physical skill out there. Mitch was smart. He was very heads up on every single play, such as the encroachment penalty, he took the snap and kneed the ball. I have never seen him play so smart.

Mr. Hog

I wasn't completely over my ill feelings toward the hill, but i was better, then i found this vid. clip and watched start to finish.....Well i have completely recommitted to the Dark side, Oh what might have been!
Go Hogs Go!

Silver Hog

Quote from: mongo™ on February 01, 2007, 10:36:35 pm

I kept holding out hope. We had that series, we had the reggie fish play, we had the swinging gate, we had some bright spots. Then it got more and more boring, more and more predictable...  as nutt took back over the power of play calling....

that is what killed it for me, what might have been, what could have been vs what was.  and now they are gone and it will never be again as long as nuttso the ghost buster is here.

deshahawg

Because LSU never had in their third string defense because they were up 50 at the end of the game.

I bet if we had run that offense after the USC game we would have won 10 games in a row.

jkstock04

Forget it boys.  Thats history.  As long as Frank Broyles and Nutt are still here, we will NEVER have a sustained passing attack.  Frank Broyles doesn't believe in that stuff, he is still living in the 1950s...and what he says goes....thats why Nutt still has a job.

I watched Florida in the Nat'l championship game with utter JEALOUSY knowing that as long as Broyles is AD we will never have a high octane offense like that.  They don't believe in that sort of thing...heres their philosophy...I'll break it down for ya'll:

They think 14/17 points a game is plenty.
Hold on to the ball as long as possible, winning time of possession is essential.
Its ok if you don't score points as long as you have good field position.
Just keep the score close til the fourth quarter, and make the defense win the game for you.

This is what to expect, and anybody expecting anything different this fall is taking crazy pills and needs to get over it.  Don't be surprised next year when our passing game is lacking again. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MarylandHog

Why don't you post a video of the next series?

MarylandHog

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 05:32:08 pm
Quote from: MarylandHog on February 03, 2007, 05:24:43 pm

How do you know the Receiver ran the right route?  Maybe the receiver went wrong based on not reading the defense right?  Should have went out instead of in.  

But, a TRUE freshman, running against 1 of the Best teams in the country, scoring on his 1st drive, and then never using that offense again.

Why don't you look for something real to be sarcastic about?  HDN did not want an O/C.

HDN did not want to Pass the Ball any more then we did the last 6 years, proving that against LSU, Florida, and Wisc.

JFB, said " His " Experts told him the HUNH would not work in the SEC.

JFB got what he wanted, butts in the seats, and $$$$ in the Bank. 

You're right. Mitch throwing into triple coverage had nothing to do with the next series. It was all because the receiver ran the wrong route, HDN didn't want an OC, Frank said the offense wouldn't work, yadda yadda yadda.

JD Hogg

Looking at that video then seeing MM struggle as the year progressed is a perfect example of how dale develops QBs. 

I remember thinking after that first pass that I had seen all I needed to see to convince me that MM was for real and could be the type of QB that could win games for us WHEN NEEDED (Caps provided for run only huggers).  He scrambled to his left and avoided the sack and threw a completion on his very first try.

By the end, you could tell that MM's mind wasn't right.  I can only assume that it was dale's and his minion's petty mind games that got into this child's head and destroyed his confidence. 

As for those that contend it was not USC's starters, one question; Would you like to have those guys on the defensive side of the ball on that drive on your team?  Or would you say that since they aren't starting they must be horrible?  Be honest with yourself, you don't have to admit anything here, but you know down deep in your Razorback soul that a great one got away.

It's probably best that he left because based on history, dale would've mishandled him and ruined his career.

Too bad that we had to sacrifice the future of Razorback football on the alter of frankandale's ego.  I hope those two one day realize what their egos have cost the program.

Good luck, MM, DW and GM, you will be missed.

MarylandHog

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 05:41:19 pm
Quote from: JD Hogg on February 03, 2007, 05:39:37 pm
Looking at that video then seeing MM struggle as the year progressed is a perfect example of how dale develops QBs. 

I remember thinking after that first pass that I had seen all I needed to see to convince me that MM was for real and could be the type of QB that could win games for us WHEN NEEDED (Caps provided for run only huggers).  He scrambled to his left and avoided the sack and threw a completion on his very first try.

By the end, you could tell that MM's mind wasn't right.  I can only assume that it was dale's and his minion's petty mind games that got into this child's head and destroyed his confidence. 

As for those that contend it was not USC's starters, one question; Would you like to have those guys on the defensive side of the ball on that drive on your team?  Or would you say that since they aren't starting they must be horrible?  Be honest with yourself, you don't have to admit anything here, but you know down deep in your Razorback soul that a great one got away.

It's probably best that he left because based on history, dale would've mishandled him and ruined his career.

Too bad that we had to sacrifice the future of Razorback football on the alter of frankandale's ego.  I hope those two one day realize what their egos have cost the program.

Man  mary landhog will not like reading that.

Why?

UnionChristian#3

what was the last line in that video?.....
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

JD Hogg

Who is this mary landhog you speak of???  Should I fear her/it?

JD Hogg

Quote from: MarylandHog on February 03, 2007, 05:35:25 pm

How do you know the Receiver ran the right route?  Maybe the receiver went wrong based on not reading the defense right?  Should have went out instead of in.  

But, a TRUE freshman, running against 1 of the Best teams in the country, scoring on his 1st drive, and then never using that offense again.

Why don't you look for something real to be sarcastic about?  HDN did not want an O/C.

HDN did not want to Pass the Ball any more then we did the last 6 years, proving that against LSU, Florida, and Wisc.

You're right. Mitch throwing into triple coverage had nothing to do with the next series. It was all because the receiver ran the wrong route, HDN didn't want an OC, Frank said the offense wouldn't work, yadda yadda yadda.

Never mind, palooza.  I see I have nothing to fear.

Perhaps if we a competent head coach, he would have worked on the passing game (QBs and receivers, etc...)to the point that it would have gotten better throughout the year.  The potential was there for an effective passing game, dorkman f'd it up.  Those are the facts.  Live with it.

Pigskin_Porker

It's almost ancient history.  I hate seeing it again,though.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

MarylandHog

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 05:57:34 pm
Quote from: JD Hogg on February 03, 2007, 05:54:23 pm

Who is this mary landhog you speak of???  Should I fear her/it?
No, I don't think so?  Just some1 that seems happy that MM is gone, and post implies that he was not that good? 

How do I seem happy about that? Where did my post imply that he wasn't that good?

Mr or Mrs. JD, nothing to fear here. Should I be skurred?

MarylandHog

Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 06:06:44 pm
You were the 1 wanting to make a big deal out of the interception on the next drive?  So maybe that?

Also Please post a link of that play.

How was I making a big deal out of it? My first post said, "Will you post a video of the next series". Then you rode in on your white horse to save the day.
My point was, seeing it work one series didn't mean it would work the rest of the year. I've seen a draw play on 3rd and 14 work before, but that doesn't mean I want to see it run all the time.
If I had the video, then I wouldn't have requested somebody else to post it.

TransAmHawg

February 03, 2007, 06:18:05 pm #35 Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 06:21:05 pm by TransAmHawg
 I hate to bust in here and really mess this up but, RoJo ran it in the first half. It was the other touchdown. If RoJo can do it then that would prove that it worked even without MM, right? 
I Tivo'd the whole season and with the snow I've watched almost the whole season in the past couple of days. It WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Gus was doing his thing and Dale knew he could never let highschool show him up.
He still believes that Gus couldn't handle the big time but he knows Gus was going to prove that all along it was Dale holding us back. By the Miss State game Dale was totally in control. I also caught one of those Dale moments. He said to Mike Nail on the coaches show of the USC east game that, " now we've got our starting Qb in there" after benching MM.
I don't have a link but if you go back you'll see RoJo running Gus' offense and it worked fine. First half against first string. Huggers care to debate that?
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

gopigsgo

Let it go palooza, they will never get it, it will always be the same.

TransAmHawg

BOTH SCORES IN THE USC GAME WERE GUS' O!!!!!!!!
Read my post. RoJo ran it for the first TD.

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
                             4windshawg

JD Hogg

Quote from: TransAmHawg on February 03, 2007, 06:18:05 pm
I hate to bust in here and really mess this up but, RoJo ran it in the first half. It was the other touchdown. If RoJo can do it then that would prove that it worked even without MM, right? 
I Tivo'd the whole season and with the snow I've watched almost the whole season in the past couple of days. It WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Gus was doing his thing and Dale knew he could never let highschool show him up.
He still believes that Gus couldn't handle the big time but he knows Gus was going to prove that all along it was Dale holding us back. By the Miss State game Dale was totally in control. I also caught one of those Dale moments. He said to Mike Nail on the coaches show of the USC east game that, " now we've got our starting Qb in there" after benching MM.
I don't have a link but if you go back you'll see RoJo running Gus' offense and it worked fine. First half against first string. Huggers care to debate that?

I remember thinking after that game that we might have a chance at a real passing game to compliment our running attack, if GM was allowed to do his thing.  I also remember believing in my gut that dale would find some way to torpedoe it.  What I didn't allow for was frankenbroyles rising from the dead.  I'll never be fooled again, however.  It's 1960's, 3 yds & a cloud of dust, fool 'em by puntin' on third down type of football from here on out.  I just hope dale doesn't get D-Mac and Felix hurt bad enough that he ruins their chances at a pro career.

TransAmHawg

If running 80% of the time wears down the defense then what does it do to the offense? Wears them out, too. Dmac was hurt this year along with most of our other "weapons" Hillis' Thigh,Monk's rib's, D. Williams shoulder.  We need a system where we have back ups that aren't a step down.
  We could have developed it all season if Dale wanted but you know Dale. We'll be hurt and pissed by the "Knockout in Knoxville, 2007" 
  Get ready for shattered dreams again Huggers. Frankanddale is coming!!!!

4windshawg

Hawgon

We talked about it at the time, but do you all remember how pissed HDN looked when MM came off the field?  MM walked right by him and Nutt didn't say anything, just gave him a dirty look.  Right then, if you didn't believe it before, was all the proof anyone ever needed to believe all the stories up to that point were true and that Nutt would never go down without a fight.  As someone noted above, we just didn't realize that Frank would turn out to be such an dork and that he was an even bigger part of the problem than Nutt.

jneal56

Quote from: CCU Cougar on February 02, 2007, 01:31:08 am
I'd really like everyone to watch that video closely... pay attention to the little details. I have to admit, I had left at that point of the game and only heard the roars of the crowd from walking back to my dorm, but wow. Mitch never looked so good at any other point of the season. Granted, it wasn't USC's starting defense, but I'm not just talking about his physical skill out there. Mitch was smart. He was very heads up on every single play, such as the encroachment penalty, he took the snap and kneed the ball. I have never seen him play so smart.

I have always thought that Mitch looked so comfortable and cool while in the gun, and I could not figure out why they were not doing if more often. Then I thought about long and hard and figured it out. If we would have stuck with it and won only 7 ball games because we got behind and could not  rely on McFadden and Jones because we would have to hurry up down the field. I would have loved to see it more but the same people on here complaining now, would be complaining because McFadden and Jones did not get enough touches. There are so many overqualified coaches on here, (including myself) that I can not figure out why none of us are the head coach of a major D-1 program.
"At least we are moral"

hogfan x

Quote from: jneal56 on February 03, 2007, 07:59:55 pm

I have always thought that Mitch looked so comfortable and cool while in the gun, and I could not figure out why they were not doing if more often. Then I thought about long and hard and figured it out. If we would have stuck with it and won only 7 ball games because we got behind and could not  rely on McFadden and Jones because we would have to hurry up down the field. I would have loved to see it more but the same people on here complaining now, would be complaining because McFadden and Jones did not get enough touches. There are so many overqualified coaches on here, (including myself) that I can not figure out why none of us are the head coach of a major D-1 program.

Why would we have got behind using the HUNH?  I am certainly not qualified as a D-1 coach, but neither is HDN.  Face it Razorback fans lost with the decision to not "turn Gus loose".  We will look back at this in the near future and say "only if Nutt would have let Gus implement his offense"  This is my opinion of course. ;)
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

jneal56

Quote from: hogfan x on February 03, 2007, 09:03:39 pm

Why would we have got behind using the HUNH?  I am certainly not qualified as a D-1 coach, but neither is HDN.  Face it Razorback fans lost with the decision to not "turn Gus loose".  We will look back at this in the near future and say "only if Nutt would have let Gus implement his offense"  This is my opinion of course. ;)

Everywhere Gus has gone, it took 3 years minimum for his offense to become a machine.  When it was on the line when we had to pass, we could not get it done with any qb on the roster. It just does not happen in one offseason.  It is far more complicated then anything that most of those kids have ran. Could Mitch, Clevland, and Williams flourished, absolutely. Were these the best chance for us to win this year, no way.  While the offense fit those three well, what about the other 40 players who have to transition to it?
"At least we are moral"

jneal56

Dont get me wrong, I wanted to see more than just a few series this year. I was hoping we could be good enough at it to be able to run it during a critical part of the game but we were not even good enough to run it during any aspect of the game. And another question, why hasn't Gus admitted that he was not the one calling the plays?  All the coaches on here seem to think it was Nutt, ( I got no clue who it was) but Gus has never said it was true or false.
"At least we are moral"

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: jneal56 on February 04, 2007, 01:38:49 am

Everywhere Gus has gone, it took 3 years minimum for his offense to become a machine.  When it was on the line when we had to pass, we could not get it done with any qb on the roster. It just does not happen in one offseason.  It is far more complicated then anything that most of those kids have ran. Could Mitch, Clevland, and Williams flourished, absolutely. Were these the best chance for us to win this year, no way.  While the offense fit those three well, what about the other 40 players who have to transition to it?

The other 40 players might have struggled alot, but it would have been with the knowledge that they would have to do more than dominate in the running game to win against top tier teams and vie for a championship.  That struggle would have been worth it and IMO Nutt little by little undermined that whole process. In hindsight I'd be willing to bet many of the players wish the team had learned how to pass better instead of try to perfect the running game. . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: MarylandHog on February 03, 2007, 05:35:25 pm

Are you happy with Stan and the basketball program?

86jacketstchamps

You are thinking too one way.  Do you not agree that it would have been another great weapon such as the wildcat, to be able to throw that in a series or two when the opposing defense my have just came off the field.  To be able to catch a defense toward the end of the half, when they need subs and be able to keep the defensive coach from being able to dictate to us what to do....This is the part I have such a problem with.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: MarylandHog on February 03, 2007, 06:10:47 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on February 03, 2007, 06:06:44 pm
You were the 1 wanting to make a big deal out of the interception on the next drive?  So maybe that?

Also Please post a link of that play.

How was I making a big deal out of it? My first post said, "Will you post a video of the next series". Then you rode in on your white horse to save the day.
My point was, seeing it work one series didn't mean it would work the rest of the year. I've seen a draw play on 3rd and 14 work before, but that doesn't mean I want to see it run all the time.
If I had the video, then I wouldn't have requested somebody else to post it.

One thing for sure, you should be able to find plenty of video of draw plays that we run every game.

LJHOG

USC's 2nd team D is NOT LSU's 1st team.  That being said, it would have been worth a try with 8 or 9 minutes to go.  What's the worst thing that could have happened, we lose.  Did that anyway.